Observations May 5th - 13th; First taste of winter

Discussion in 'Alpine & Southern' started by Claude Cat, May 5, 2015.

1. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Snow maybe, settled snow? Unlikely. The last time I remember settled snow we did some XC skiing on the golf course, but that was 10+ years ago.

2. sauron_017

sauron_017 Hard Yards

Hi guys just to add one quick note on your Mt Dandenong nostalgia.

The snow event you both have mentioned Definately happened in first week of September 1995. My grandmother used to live about 300m from sky high and called us frantically in the morning telling us to come up for the day. (NO SCHOOL!!!!)

Anyway by the time we got half way up Belgrave/Ferny creek road it was virtually a blizzard and at her house there was about 10cm on the ground which was topped up constantly all day. We built a massive snowball and an igloo which lasted for a week and a half after the event. It was my earliest memory of having a "day in the snow" and still one of the best.

There is a way on BOM website to look up temperature records for any given day at each weather station. I think Mt Hotham didn't get above -6 for the whole day! Pretty sure it was the 4th or 5th of sep.

Claude Cat and snowblowa like this.
  3. snowblowa

snowblowa One of Us

@buller yesterday...
    [​IMG]

Vermillion, Claude Cat and ScottGN like this.
  4. Claude Cat

Claude Cat On my bike Moderator Ski Pass: Platinum

Not settling, but snow falling.

5. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah I would take some of those reports with a grain of salt, unless you trust the person doing the obs. In my uni days there was plenty of times i'd make the drive up and not see snow at Bourke's but would have people quoting 'snow' at lower altitudes. I reckon I saw proper snow twice a year max, although you're probably better asking people who live on Ridge Road for their obs, as they are the highest point in the Dandenongs.

Claude Cat likes this.