Opinion Media Weather Hype Discussion

Craig B

One of Us
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com
I am currently cranking up the media hyerbole machine right now at 10daily.com.au where I work.

Should I call this clickbaity thing of beauty "Antarctic Wednesday"? I think I should. It's more of a Wed than a Tues thing right kids?
No, no, no, why? I don't get why just normal winter cold outbreaks have to be hyped. It's just as you said clickbait, kills me.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
No, no, no, why? I don't get why just normal winter cold outbreaks have to be hyped. It's just as you said clickbait, kills me.
I'll put it this way. News is a product. Some news actually happens, some news is made by excellent journos breaking stories, and some news is regular everyday bullshit turned into hype. It took many years for average weather systems, both hot and cold, to be added to this artificial hype mix, but now it is, and this is not a bad thing. I can proudly say I am one of the pioneers of this, as I did it for many years at news.com.au and indeed invented the term "Antarctic Vortex" for that southerly system that brought good snow to Qld a few years ago, which was a huge laugh because one day after I invented the term, and said in the second paragraph of my story that it was a made-up term, it appeared on the FRONT PAGE of the Saturday Sydney Morning Herald in very big letters like it was an actual thing.

Let me put it this way in conclusion: why not? Would u rather some cool weather is added to the hype mix and (in my case) written by someone who actually likes and vaguely understands weather, or would u rather the news was filled with some other irrelevant junk? I rest my case.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I'll put it this way. News is a product. Some news actually happens, some news is made by excellent journos breaking stories, and some news is regular everyday bullshit turned into hype. It took many years for average weather systems, both hot and cold, to be added to this artificial hype mix, but now it is, and this is not a bad thing. I can proudly say I am one of the pioneers of this, as I did it for many years at news.com.au and indeed invented the term "Antarctic Vortex" for that southerly system that brought good snow to Qld a few years ago, which was a huge laugh because one day after I invented the term, and said in the second paragraph of my story that it was a made-up term, it appeared on the FRONT PAGE of the Saturday Sydney Morning Herald in very big letters like it was an actual thing.

Let me put it this way in conclusion: why not? Would u rather some cool weather is added to the hype mix and (in my case) written by someone who actually likes and vaguely understands weather, or would u rather the news was filled with some other irrelevant junk? I rest my case.
10000000%

And at the risk of going off topic and incurring CC's wrath, the snow industry is a massive beneficiary of free news exposure during the early parts of winter, you see it in the papers and on the TV all the time, and that is priceless for those of us in the industry.

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
All i would say is that the populations understanding of the weather is pretty ordinary at best (mine too). I really hate the fact that the BOM cops flack for "getting it wrong" or we gets calls of fizzer whereas its usually the dumb arse that didn't read the detailed forecast, or overhyped too far out that got it wrong. Hype too early doesn't help this.

At the moment the "forecast" tells us we are in for a cold blast next week. But still a way out. Could be warmer or colder than expected. Could still be 5cm or 1m depending on how it plays out in real time.

Craig B

One of Us
Feb 11, 2005
Manly, Sydney
www.instagram.com

You are learned, it's when people who have no idea jump on the hype bandwagon, it just runs away and always inflates peoples expectations, mostly resulting in let down and then abuse at the actual weather guys. See it all the time with Surf Forecasting. Daily Mail are the worst and have the last two years quoted some looney that's saying it will be the coldest winter on record etc...

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
10000000%

And at the risk of going off topic and incurring CC's wrath, the snow industry is a massive beneficiary of free news exposure during the early parts of winter, you see it in the papers and on the TV all the time, and that is priceless for those of us in the industry.
Goodness knows why you like the hype !!?!! ;)

Reactions: Snow Blowey

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
You are learned, it's when people who have no idea jump on the hype bandwagon, it just runs away and always inflates peoples expectations, mostly resulting in let down and then abuse at the actual weather guys. See it all the time with Surf Forecasting. Daily Mail are the worst and have the last two years quoted some looney that's saying it will be the coldest winter on record etc...
The Daily Fail. Despicable publication. Buy ya a beer and tell ya some stories about their workplace culture one day. Anyway all good. LET IT SNOW

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I read something the other day, talking about catching Kosi up, passing over Friday Flat......

blindo

Hard Yards
Oct 13, 2017
Would u rather some cool weather is added to the hype mix and (in my case) written by someone who actually likes and vaguely understands weather, or would u rather the news was filled with some other irrelevant junk? I rest my case.

@Ramshead in light of the recent election results & as someone that works in sustainability (but also understands the weather), i think it's worth taking a perspective on this that is bigger than just a system.

re: your conclusion above - I would rather your informed position of power to elevate the discussion around weather and climate to address a few (any!) of the fundamental issues effecting the planet and humans long term viability as a part of it. the clickbait hype, the 24hr news cycle and reinforcement of short attention spans only undermines the credibility of those knowledgeable people trying to create change, and reduces our capacity as a society to have intelligent and measured discussions toward action.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
@Ramshead in light of the recent election results & as someone that works in sustainability (but also understands the weather), i think it's worth taking a perspective on this that is bigger than just a system.

re: your conclusion above - I would rather your informed position of power to elevate the discussion around weather and climate to address a few (any!) of the fundamental issues effecting the planet and humans long term viability as a part of it. the clickbait hype, the 24hr news cycle and reinforcement of short attention spans only undermines the credibility of those knowledgeable people trying to create change, and reduces our capacity as a society to have intelligent and measured discussions toward action.
That's why the current draft includes the following paragraphs after the initial explanation of the looming system:

"So what's happening exactly?

Well, the first thing you should know is that it's been exceptionally warm so far this autumn across virtually the whole of Australia. To cite just two examples,:

• Melbourne's daily average maximum this May has been 18.7. It's usually 16.7.
  • Sydney's daily average maximum this May has been 22.9. It's usually 19.5.
The warm Aussie autumn of 2019 is almost certainly a climate change-related thing, in two ways. Firstly, the atmosphere overall is getting warmer. And secondly, meteorologists say that Southern Ocean cold fronts are being pushed ever further south as the world warms."

I am a sports reporter who writes weather yarns from time to time, but I ALWAYS mention climate where appropriate, unlike most other journos. Cheers.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Late to the thread, I haven't read a single post, just the title.
It is what it is. If it means people buy, book, plan etc... and the Aus snow business makes more money and continues to survive and thrive than great.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
My only advice:
Just don’t do what Thredbo media did last year, and name a system after a Gulf War general.

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
That was the best, if I say so myself.

:whistle:
IIRC there was a snowmaggedon before the term was invented a few years back now where the storm lasted for four or five days almost unheard of so suggesting a repeat of 1981. Howeve @skiflat called it, correctly as it turned out, as the last decent fall for the season and it was only 2/3rd of the way through July.

Reactions: skiflat

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
@Richard got those traffic stats to support a media hype & early season dump?:crap:

Just a regular 'first snow fall of season' spike in traffic - 30,000 sessions yesterday - today will be 20~24K.

The massive spikes are when there has been no snow leading up to school holidays - everyone is losing it with SDS and then you get a big fall just in time. 2014 was a big one - 24 June was the first snow fall and a significant one - we hit 90K+ sessions in one day. Pretty sure that's the day coined 'snowmageddon'.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
At the risk of Sastrugi coming after me with a freshly sharpened axe... :axe:

I have to say that phrases like "Totes Amazeballs Snowmagedon" get me really hyped up and excited. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Even though deep down I know that it's probably just spin from a ski resort marketing dept for 2 cm of wet snow.:(

Reactions: Chaeron and LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
At the risk of Sastrugi coming after me with a freshly sharpened axe... :axe:

I have to say that phrases like "Totes Amazeballs Snowmagedon" get me really hyped up and excited, :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Even though deep down I know that it's probably just spin from a ski resort marketing dept for 2 cm of wet snow.:(
Me too Bogong
And as I said in the other thread
“Powder-licious”

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Antarctic Wednesday it is. AND CLICKING ITS ASS OFF. Happy editor over there in the corner. Unexpcted Friday boost from the sports ed. :woohoo: https://10daily.com.au/news/a190524...pboard-antarctic-wednesday-is-coming-20190524

Never seen 10daily until this link

Technically it's very nicely executed and the UX is clean and tidy. But I can't figure what it's raison d'être is.

It feels like a site that's late to the FB game and did not get the memo that the borg is no longer a means to an end. There is virtually no display ad or pre-roll footprint. In fact I could not force an ad to load either on page or as pre-roll on three different browsers. It's no serious player in national news coverage nor is it all-in on tabloid trash like The Dailymail.

It seems to be mostly 10 broadcast content re-purposed for video with some supporting editorial content to flesh out the offering. The only thing I can figure is it's the central repository of content used to seed social media for the sole benefit of generating interest in 10's broadcast business. A.k.a it seems as directionless as the rest of 10.

At minimum there's a 2 beer conversation in this when next we catch up @Ramshead

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
This morning:
Weather report from “in the blast zone”

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass