1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Mega Pass killing skiing

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by DPS Driver, Jun 11, 2019 at 9:43 AM.

1. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Townsend, dawooduck and Zimbooo like this.
  2. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Article said day ticket at Vail went up to as much as $209 bucks a day at Vail. Crazy.
    Looks like Vail are rethinking their US pricing for day tickets?
    Now released the "Epic day pass" for 1 to 7 days usage (any time during the season) for their US customers with the price at $106 per day.
    They have to get beginners back, or they'll end up with nothing eventually.
    Edit: I like what NZSki have done with their beginner pass program that includes lessons and rental gear. The beginner pass can be upgraded to a season pass should the beginner get the bug. Smart.

sastrugi, LMB, Chaeron and 2 others like this.
  3. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Wait for it. The Australian day pass will climb over $200 next season.

fenrir, Chaeron and dawooduck like this.
  4. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

I'll happliy take $800 instead of the old $1700 season passes..

Donzah, CarveMan, currawong and 3 others like this.
  5. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

In.a.heartbeat! Especially as mine is for summer and winter!

zac150, skiflat and piolet like this.
  6. Undies

Undies Premature Pool Room Person Ski Pass: Gold

But for those families who are looking at a weekend here and there, or a week showing the kids what skiing is all about, the new pricing regime is shithouse.

The only winners are season pass holders (of which there are many more now, granted).

Bogong, LMB, art and 3 others like this.
  7. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I’d happily take the old level of patronage and pay higher. Which was closer to $1200 or so, never paid $1700.

My enjoyment of Aussie skiing is inversely proportional to the time spent queuing...for everything.

8. PG2736

PG2736 Hard Yards

Given we ski both Aus & North American season I love the EPIC pass. Understand the challenges around day passes, ultimately it will get worked out and they will meet the market. Multi day (ie 2+) are still broadly in line with what they have been for the last few yrs at Hotham.

skiflat likes this.
  9. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them Ski Pass: Gold

Ummm... if memory serves me correctly, wasn't the skiing industry heading into oblivion with falling numbers, rising prices, increasing bankruptcies and the threat of GW. Then Vail starting gobbling up resorts, season passes got cheaper and resort carparks are now full.

The ski industry was heading into a brick wall. It was saved, but there is little love for the saviors.

Ozgirl, Chowder11, robbo mcs and 9 others like this.
  10. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

When I drove out on Sunday, the carparks were like any weekend in August, amazing.

Im the same, the season pass for heavy users would be good value at double the price. Im thinking the strategy is to get people coming for a week, or few weekends, to buy the season pass, and come for a few extra days? I didnt think numbers were so bad they needed more, but then all business is a Ponzi scheme, so I guess you cant just run one sustainably hey.

11. piolet

piolet We ain't found shit! Ski Pass: Gold

Fun stuff is popular with a limited viable resource
    Nice gatekeeping

Call_me_Ishmael, nezumi and Chaeron like this.
  12. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Problem with cheap passes, is it makes everything else seem so expensive, I mean a season pass costs less than two nights at the Alpine Hotel.

nezumi, Chaeron, currawong and 2 others like this.
  13. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Half the price of a gym membership

zac150, Chaeron and currawong like this.
  14. Paperboy

Paperboy Hard Yards

I preferred it when they had a limit on season pass numbers, now its sell as much as they can. Good business for them, more passes means more money being spent on accommodation/lessons/ski hire/ food etc. All we need know is for the resorts to put in parking meters.

Chaeron likes this.
  15. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

The price creep increases as the benefits decline. So many passes all at different price points. Ski the world on a pass is a nice sentiment but it is on the ground experiences that grow and sustain a customer base.

These passes are not "about the skier".

cornice11 likes this.
  16. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Yeah $1200 in 2011

$1500 now or more

17. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

There are still heaps of beginners options and discounts out of peak season

The beginner to intermediate skier is the area neglected now.

Those skiing 4 to 7ish days..

snowgum and Bogong like this.
  18. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I read the Vail business model as locking in your existing customer base to your product, (because they're the cheapest ones to sell to)...
    Most of us that are now under the EPIC pass that do a Northern hemisphere trip are now looking at whether to pick one of the supported resorts. (Based on the chairlift chat test, I don't think too many Northern Hemisphere skiers hed down south for a holiday). I'm a Hero psss holder and I have to admit I'm now looking at one of the resorts on an EPIC pass where before it wasn't really a consideration.

We will inevitably book the big trip early (as it's so far to go) and as we are locked in, even if the conditions are crap we'll still go. So Vail resorts ensure a level of visitation is maintained, accommodation is maintained and money is injected in to the resort, regardless of the snow conditions.

If you're a local and that's your mountain, the plus side is there is probably more jobs at the resort. The negatives.... more people means costs go up, , availability is reduced and the killer.... it's busier. Why do you think Whistler locals refers to Aussies as JAFAs? Not a lot of love for the blow in foreigners..
    You see the same sentiment in a lot of seasonal passtimes. Go hit any town on the Surf coast and you'll get a similar vibe of local vs non local.

The reality for corporate anywhere is KPI's are all short term and the stock price is king. I can't foresee Vail doing that much to attract new skiers but based on last weekends traffic they could rightly argue, do they really need to?

Jacko4650, skiflat and nezumi like this.
  19. piolet

Yeah corporations love a subscription based revenue - not too far from it

Chaeron and skiflat like this.
  20. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Sure is.

My wife and I are life long skiers. Yet are left wondering how the hell we can get to the snow these days from a cost perspective. we have two little kids and reality for us for the next few years is an extra long weekend or maybe a week is our time limit.

It is hard to make it stack up.

skivet, Chaeron, Belly and 2 others like this.
  21. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

In a couple of years we will do a USA trip instead of Europe simply due to the Epic Pass.

We are now Falls skiers and will do Hotham as well somewhere.

Instead of spending $3000 plus on euro skiing, we will do a USA trip where the lift passes are "free". Won't be every year but every 2nd or 3rd.

oldgeezer, Chaeron and Jacko4650 like this.
  22. PG2736

PG2736 Hard Yards

It is cheaper to holiday in Canada/North America over the xmas break than it is to travel around Australia these days! At the end of the day you will never please "the locals". If there were no visitors they would be complaining that there was no money, jobs etc. Now that there are visitors who demand a certain level of service and offer you will find them complaining about that as well. What the big corporations are bringing is investment and an offer that resonates with a lot of people. There a lots of families that we know who have never really been skiers who have gone to Whistler, Vail, Aspen etc absolutely loved it because of the infrastructure, food, quality of hotels, option of other things to do etc that are now skiing in Australia as well and return visitors at Xmas time.

CarveMan likes this.
  23. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Ski resort gentrification was happening long before the mega-pass era. In my 6 years in Park City from 2002 to 2008 we went from easily finding staff accomm in prime position on a 6 month lease to having to either live in ‘taco towers’ or miles out of town.

Resort ‘locals’ - and I use that term loosely - can be masters of cognitive dissonance when it comes to using the infrastructure that only tourist dollars can provide yet complaining about said tourists.

Chaeron, luvthabumps, Ozgirl and 7 others like this.
  24. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

ie. Entitled ****s

25. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

False economy. Flights would be similar (if only marginally more for Europe). The AUD is weaker against the USD than it is against the EUR.
    The real killer is accom - e.g. a quick search of Park City's website vs Saalbach-Hinterglemm for 1st week of Feb and you're talking USD230/night vs EUR420 for the week (cheapest v cheapest, whole room):
    https://book.parkcitymountain.com/v2/lodging-offers/promo-code?package=50000676#
    https://www.saalbach.com/saalbach-booking/Query

Do the math - At 278EURpp for a 6 day pass you're still ahead. And still will be after how many weeks of holiday?

26. was June daily watching

was June daily watching One of Us

Double the price?
    I thought the Freedom passes and the others that were issued back then were a price cut because the resorts were losing people to the Northern Hemisphere, NZ etc.
    That must have been something they could afford to lose, unlike accommodation costs.
    It was about survival, and it seems to have worked.
    It's hard to see them returning to the old pricing strategy.

27. was June daily watching

was June daily watching One of Us

Join a lodge?

28. Seth

Already have. Small children and club lodges are shit for everyone in winter.

The Plowking and piolet like this.
  29. piolet

Early years of skiing sucks for the parents. (In some senses, very rewarding in others)
    Well, if you want to not spend a fortune and or ski around with them. Loads of compromise. I'm just trying to get them on a bit and plant the seed whilst have some fun myself.

Chaeron, Snow Blowey and skiflat like this.
  30. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

really?
    we get kids of all ages. our managers have a 2YO.
    a sick kid screaming all night can be a problem (has never happened when I was there) but otherwise it is all pretty cruisey.

31. Donzah

Yeah though you don't have to stay or ski in PC.
    You can get crazy cheap accomodation at tahoe within cooee of the lifts.

FatBoyDave and skiflat like this.
  32. Donzah

Depends on the lodge. How shit the children are and how many kids there are.
    The lodge we go to in Japan has always had a high proportion of kids in it. Which as a parent of a only child, is an attaction.

Tonester and currawong like this.
  33. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Don't forget to factor in tips, either.

Hermannator likes this.
  34. Seth

I’ve no doubt people do it.

Personally I don’t want a holiday where I might be impacting on someone else’s time. A kid screaming at 2am is annoying enough for me let alone someone else’s.

Your lodge is also well set up with en suites. Makes cleaning the kids MUCH easier. When it’s shared bathrooms it’s a real PITA.

Ultimately though it is the cost of the lift ticket that we cringe at as opposed to the accom costs.

currawong likes this.
  35. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

our lodge is pretty strong on the idea that members are responsible for their guests' and kids' behaviour. usually not a problem. we have a big games room where the kids normally hang out together, which helps. tv, pool, table tennis, foozball. not so much for tiny ones but great as they get a little older, right through to teens. we also have a monitor in the lounge where parents can keep an eye on the games room

36. Seth

Yep, recall that room you’re talking about.

We’re not quite at that stage yet. LOL

currawong likes this.
  37. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

2 bed apartments same cost for us on the snow in Euro or USA

Can get a whole house for $500 a night with a short drive to resorts in USA

As for tipping.... :love::love:

38. zac150

zac150 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The original article is really nothing to do with passes, more a thinly veiled jab at how the big companies treat local communities and staff.

IMO the mega passes are no different to what sporting teams have been doing for decades, season tickets. Ticket holders have always been offered benefits and the benefit to the club (in this case resort) is simple, cash up front. No reduced sales due to poor season and they can invest the cash and make short term money. They also make us ski one resort, this has of course led to the benefit that people now ski at one chain of resorts.

#38 zac150, Jun 11, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 6:32 AM
    currawong likes this.
  39. kiter

kiter One of Us

I think if you ask businesses big and small in the snowy mountains Nsw mega passes have been great . I have seen jindy boom and that’s great . There is an issue with long term accom for the permanent population that needs to be addressed along with access . I have been a long term advocate for mass transit from jindy to Perisher and Thredbo and I believe that all levels of government have a role to play here . Shit tons of cars in the National park is bad and I think a snow park somewhere around jindy outside the national park on a south facing slope with snowmaking for snow play and park riding is definitely worth a look at . Surely .

40. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

I like this. Definitely worth a good long discussion and maybe more.

kiter likes this.
  41. ralf_plough

ralf_plough One of Us

Timeline is a bit off. Season passes were cheaper before vail started gobbling, in Aus at least. Cheap season passes are attracting all sorts of lowlifes, and to be honest, as a family, I cringe at the thought of skiing in Aus these days. The OS options are just too much better to consider stuffing around in our resorts IMO.

42. Donzah

*on a weekend

43. kiter

kiter One of Us

Cheers . Thanks kelpieboy . I like this thread and I’m hoping that long term some great ideas and solutions come from this . The region is one of Nsw premier regions that with constant tweaking will be our premier region , there is great stuff going on and government planning and involvement is really encouraging . This is a good place for further discussion and ideas . Frankly I get that some people are horrified at how things are panning out but it is a reality that needs management and ideas and solutions that I feel that with good faith are achievable

Kelpieboy likes this.
  44. ralf_plough

ralf_plough One of Us

Definitely worse on weekends, but to certain extent during the week too.

My point is, Vail are not the saviour, they are just profiteers, and there are side effects good and bad.

45. Donzah

I'm pessimistic AF anything will occur.
    At least from a government point of view.
    If we're talking of jindy. It's a cluster**** of self interest and old habits Vs city investment in holiday homes.
    It's pretty pathetic TBH.

Telemark Phat and dawooduck like this.
  46. kiter

kiter One of Us

Pleases . I’m a cup half empty guy normally but I have a soft spot for the region and I reckon keep it positive and look for solutions

47. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

I am the same but ..... tonight I had the bizarre experience of being verbally abused, membership card taken and threatened with trespass by the Manager of the Bowlo for having a shower. I am a member, I was there to shower, renew membership and have a beer and a chat with local mates. I have been going there for near on 40 years. The bloke was highly agitated. I scurried back to the the block and locked the door.

Shits got weird in Jindy

48. Donzah

This.
    The transformation and dynamic are not being coped with by the town.

49. Kelpieboy

Kelpieboy One of Us

As a resident of the western side of the hills and long term user of both NSW and northern Vic snowfields I welcome good ideas that are thoroughly debated ,investigated and developed before instigation. Small scale mass transit from Jindy to both Thredbo and Perisher is a great idea for many reasons. An easily accessible snow park facility incorporating areas for snowplay and park skiing really needs to be done ,whether its in or out of KNP is debatable.
    I also believe the area between Perisher and CP should be incorporated into existing leases with a view to join them up. There are also areas surrounding Thredbo that should be incorporated as well to make both areas able to handle the larger numbers of people being attracted to the area.
    However before that would/could be possible the infrastructure and facilities must be planned and built so it wont happen in my time on this planet.
    Right now I would settle for a road directly from Tooma to Perisher...............possibly a new resort on the way. ;)

dawooduck likes this.
  50. VSG

VSG Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

If we could all ski mid week, out of school holidays... solve that one.