1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Meidjo NTN

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by lennysan, Aug 9, 2015.

1. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The new auto engagement feature might end up removing the under foot plate. Possibly.

2. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes. The 7TMs used a high density grey plastic shim from 7TM that was made to fit the K2 inserts with the binding screwed directly into the plastic. LDPE would make descent a bit too interesting when a binding loses interest in staying attached to the ski :emoji_astonished:. My right ankle has a block of HDPE in between the metal parts set into the tibia and on top of the talus bone. It is meant to last a while before getting worn away. Getting some from a local bonafide plastics supplier would be a better bet than chancing a chopping board from Woolies. Some offcuts of high quality material would do the job.

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Goski

4. Goski

Thanks @skifree

5. Goski

Still needed to push the claw back out of the way for tour mode.
    In a thread I've been following, a guy in the USA has come up with an alternative widget to the red stick which removes the need for the stick and the under foot plate. It also means one does not need to step out of the binding to switch to tour mode.
    https://www.backcountrytalk.com/for...18-idea-for-meidjo-tour-mode/page2#post103030

6. Goski

7. Outdoors

Outdoors Addicted

Can anyone with this binding help me answer the following two questions as looking at the potential to use the Meidjo heel unit with an alternative toe binding?
    1. What height is the boot off the ski when sitting on the heel plate when its flat?
    2. How well does this heel unit work?
    Trying to find a heel unit that is super easy to engage and stays in the right mode unless deliberately moved up or down. Aim is to use it simply with a front tech unit (i.e. Dynafit Speed Turn toes or ATK Tromeo toes) so looking to find a decent heel unit (most likely 'tele' oriented) that allows an AT boot to sit flat in standard touring mode.
    Cheers

8. Goski

9. Goski

My understanding of the Meidjo heel is that it has a relatively low release value and that it is meant to be used in conjunction with the binding in tele mode so the overall release is the footplate release value plus the fixed value release of the Meidjo heel. Correct me if I'm wrong please those who have more experience of this binding. Mine are still in their box in the garage. I haven't bought the heels.

10. Goski

A concern I have is that the wee widget could work its way around the rod while skiing downhill in tele mode and cause an unplanned switch into tour mode which could cause a dangerous pre-release. Thoughts?

11. Outdoors

Outdoors Addicted

Thanks Goski. It’s actually info about the standard tele ‘heel kit’ that I am chasing rather than the ‘alpine heel’. Cheers

12. skifree

Umm, sounds like you are simply building a Meidjo.

Just buy / use a Meidjo.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  13. skifree

Currently the binding works, don’t dick around with it.

Telemark Phat, Goski and snowgum like this.
  14. Goski

Ah, so the heel with risers that comes standard with the binding. My mistake.It is sold as a spare part.
    https://www.the-m-equipment.com/en/spare-parts/product/286-heel-set
    Wilderness Sports in Jindabyne likely have some if you decide to get them. Less postage and a few $$ for the local business.

15. skifree

M Equipment sell every part as a spare, you buy all the parts as spares and build a binding if you like.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  16. Goski

Yeah for just a couple of holes to mount the tour plate I'll be happy to try it as designed initially.
    I'll be using the Meidjos predominantly for downhill resort (and hopefully some randonee style Japanese BC) and keeping my Excursions and Rossignol 110s for a lighter XC touring rig in Oz so stepping out to swap Tele to Tour on the Meidjo's isn't going to be a big deal.
    If the widget proves to be a reliable winner in the field without any issues then I may have renewed interest. The USA guys can be the testers.

skifree likes this.
  17. skifree

If you really want you can swap to tour mode with skis on.

But most folks take their skis off to put skins on so not a biggy to flick it to tour mode at the same time.

18. Goski

Simple transition is more of a thing if using them with pattern-base skis on our rolling grounds areas which I won't be doing.
    Aaargh, I do hope I get to try the M's this year but the exit end of the COVID tunnel keeps moving further into the distance for the Vics.

skifree likes this.
  19. Goski

Good point. I'll just do 2/3 holes on the heels. No pullout risk on the heel piece.

skifree likes this.
  20. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Resort plus some touring just buy outlaws. I have two pairs of Meijdo's and soon to be 3 pairs with the release of 3.0.

21. Goski

I want the independent release function of the Meidjo over the 22 Designs offerings, as well made as they are. I would ike to avoid more life-changing injuries. V3 looks like it has a stronger single toe spring over V2.1 s twin toe spring pair otherwise it look the same. Same step-in as the later V2.1s.

22. Goski

For when and if I get to stay in Illawong hut again I'll be taking the Medijos and skins to enjoy the longer ups and longer downs but for Stirling and Gwinear days the 75mm Excursions with a pattern base will do. My ISO dream is getting to Asahidake and similar areas for sublime powdery descents on Meidjos after steady meditative climbs.

skifree likes this.
  23. skifree

I won’t fuss about the toe pieces, the Ms are good. But that said they all rely on very precise parts to work well and across the brands you’ll find brumby toe pieces.

24. Goski

Thanks. V2.0 and V2.1 toe-pieces seem to have been fine and two pairs of toe-piece springs have worked for Dynafit for a long time. The improvement to the claw for step-in has been the significant change this year. Snow in Vic today! max of only 7-10 deg across Melbourne! Gardening in the sun with my son was very comfortable with no breeze.

skifree likes this.
  25. Goski

V3 released on My Equipment's Facebook page today.

Looks like it is what was previews earlier this year. Has the expected new toe-piece with one pair it toe jaw springs per toe-piece instead of two, as expected. Claims 40% more power. Other than that, seems to be the same as the V2.1s that I'll get around to mounting into skis one day soon. Got them delivered days before Melbourne's stage 3 lockdown in July finished my skiing before it began this year. Looking forward to trying them in X months.
    Website link is
    https://the-m-equipment.com/en/prod...1ttuTSlR6zrTPe4dq-UXSIzANPgGZo8KPOAx8umD8H0RE

skifree likes this.