1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Meidjo NTN

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by lennysan, Aug 9, 2015.

1. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

very similar to mine, except clearly i wasnt going fast enough to break stuff.........watching a top ski drag sideways under bottom ski and not releasing was not good

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

How's the recovery going mr?

3. mr

thanks Ziggy. it seems a ligament behind the knee / hammy.....hopelesslessly i havent been to physio yet......just doing my usual yoga, pilates, strength class and running and skiing...

I can squat now........but i know its NQR and im wondering if im helping it by not stopping....i think im in denial........until the season is over!

4. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Very sorry to hear - Its devestating having watched my wife recover from 2 major leg injuries 20 yrs ago (1 Navicular off snow / then an ACL on snow 9 months later)

Just curious, as to what binding you were using. What setting? Etc...

Makes we want to consider my next binding very carefully!

Best of luck with the reco!

Our Aussie Orthopeds are very good, with the all the AFL, Rugby, Netball injuries to practice on!

Snow Blowey likes this.
  5. art

art One of Us

The only time those Voile releases ever released for me was when they broke, which they did many times. I think the danger from being stranded with a stuffed binding was higher then the danger from an injury.

6. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I must be lucky - have done two maybe 3 barels using 4-5 ski with V Release over 23+ years.

Once I hit a submerged rock in fresh & another it was found broken in ski bag arriving in Qtown - neither I think are Major failures.

I used to lube contact pts & kept setting about 3, which was usually about right.

I agree though not everyone I knew was so satisified. And they did add weight to some already heavy touring set ups.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

The sooner you get physio the quicker and better the recovery will be.
    The body's own protective response is often not the best for the long term and both that and the injury need to be addressed.
    Good luck with it.

mr likes this.
  8. skifree

skifree Sort of old & definitely grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

New step in leavers arrived today, ordered from France 24/8/18, swap over took 15 minutes. So 2nd pair of Meidjo's is back up an running again.:woohoo:

Majikthise and Untele-whippet like this.
  9. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Warming to the ntn upgrade via meidjo and scarpa tx pro after boot reset and spring adjustment. Takes a bit of mind and body adjustment but pretty sure i’m getting it. Enough to be ok to leave the old rig behind for Japan next year. Still reckon no good for rolling country touring where step patterns and no fuss transitions rule. Sooooo it all requires 5 sets of skis/ boots bindings: track skate, track stride, light touring ( nnn bc), heavy touring ( excursion + annum + kicker skins), downhill and steep/ pow touring ( ntn, big boots, full skins). Omg that is true ski tragic shit ....

Majikthise, skifree and snowgum like this.
  10. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

^ @Rolo may care to comment...i am sure there are a couple of scenarios you haven't covered off yet. :)

11. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Whoa! You must have some serious ski racks for the car, decent garage, yarda....

Do you have a +1 who counts skis, space, rooms full of gear etc... out of interest?

12. bluestick

bluestick One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes I have a plus one who does keep an eye on things but I don’t have all 5 sets just 3 at this stage! The list of 5 was a want not a need or a have.

13. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm on the good end of it now. Will be 8 weeks this saturday. Have been wearing work boots for the past 2 weeks. Limp slowly going as all the muscles / tendons /ligaments in my foot gradually stretch back out. Deltoid tendon area still feels tender and weak - guess i just gotta learn to live with some weakness in that area forever.

I was on an NTN Rotterfeller Freeride (or freedom?) - the resort heavier version with scarpa TXpro. As far as i know standard springs. I didn't touch them after @Telemark Phat mounted them for me. Don't want to talk about that any more until the legal proceedings are over :D.

Biggest factor in my stack was the funky snow conditions. There was alot of snow that fell on 6 july at marginal temperatures. It was trenched out from fridays session. That all froze overnight. On saturday morning fridays trenches had been fully filled up high, but around mid mountain had only been partially filled by the 10cm of new snow that fell early saturday morning. I was trying to make a point of tele turning my whole way down the hill, instead of relying on alpine when the going got a little difficult. Any other day i would have simply powered through the frozen trenches in an alpine stance and had no issues. So my ski hook up was all about my lead left ski finding yesterdays trench and staying in it while the right ski went on over the top and kept going. It all happened very quickly but i recall vividly watching my left foot turn until it was pointing backwards. I was thinking that something was going to give soon. Then as something made me bail right over the handlebars i recall feeling three distinct stages of tearing of my deltoid tendon. Whilst this was going on i recall flying through the air thinking that i had just done what @Untele-whippet had done last season.

What sucks is that i was really enjoying the variety that the NTN bindings offered. I had some awesome runs in deep snow skiing alpine on them without ever feeling like i was on a tele binding. Then back on the boring groomers you could put in tele turns. I was just starting to get it together with tele turns in deep snow on them also. But looking back i probably had a couple of close calls on them which could also have ended up in a busted knee or ankle sooner. It was only after my ankle that i realised how close i had come to some similar earlier. Having never hurt myself properly before i simply put these down to experience and skied on thinking i was invincible.

Anyway - back to untele next season with the whippet.

14. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

ATK Newmark have caesed production:(
    It’s a one horse race now

15. skifree

It's a pretty funky thing, an acquired taste not for everybody you could say. So a super small market segment.

When I was looking for the ATK Newmark Telemark Pyrenees made the comment they no longer stocked them due to having too many issues with them. I'm not sure if that meant issues with dealing with ATK or the actual binding.

I've moved my ATK Newmarks to a set of smaller softer skis to see if that makes them easier to use, but have yet to make time to give them a run. They demand very perfect technique to get working right.

16. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

A real shame. There were heaps of them about when at intertele in April 2017. I'd bet the guy who got it going had moved on our changed position in the company. I really enjoy skiing on them. It's a shame their going, a great concept which would do a lot for Telemark as a BC pursuit.

skifree likes this.
  17. skifree

I wonder how many they made?

18. Boodwah

They wrote to me that they’d hoped to move ahead with a lightweight boot manufacturer who pulled out and so entire project collapsed

19. skifree

:headbang:

20. Boodwah

In fact current lightest most robust setup for touring is probably uber light pintech toepiece with TTS heel.

skifree likes this.
  21. rols

rols Addicted

Just looking at them, it looks like they would hold the fore foot of the boot down more than a 3 pin is that what you find?

22. skifree

I have skied big three pin (burnt mountain telebulldogs/spike whatever he’s calling them this week) a fair bit and think it’s a great 75mm binding.

The ATK is harder to ski than the big 3 pin, possibly due to now being used to NTN it’s harder to go back to no retention and because maybe the boots flex differently. But also because I had the ATKs in a longish stiff ski, I’m hoping for some ease with the ATKs being relocated to a shorter softer ski. All a work in progress.

Some of the binding/ski stuff i muck about with is just for experimental fun, the ATK is currently still in this category,

telecrag likes this.
  23. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

@Untele-whippet mucked around with his TTS a fair bit, had it feeling almost good, then.......

I am only prepared to sacrifice a small amount of run performance, for the weight loss on the climbs. ie, if it feels good, but takes a bit more effort on the run, Im good with that. If it feels a bit crap, I would rather drag the weight, as I only climb to do a run.

PK Sawd, Majikthise and skifree like this.
  24. skifree

Yeah i think TTS and ATK really are only for quick fast cheeky lightweight BC/Side country runs. Meidjo (maybe Lynx when they are available and if (should do) they measure up) for everything else or only BC if your take the @Telemark Phat plan and use Freerides inbounds.

Telemark Phat and telecrag like this.
  25. skifree

Telemark Pyrenees tell me the step in leaver (part I broke 2 off, refer above somewhere) is upgraded in the 2.1.

26. Boodwah

I just broke another pair Meijo, hut to hut touring in Vanoise, which really sucks. That’s it for me, they’ll never be robust enough.
    Nice idea made with the wrong materials.

27. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Just need to do less skiing and take up knitting!
    PS: I’ve got some plastic Tectons to play with this year.....

Snow Blowey likes this.
  28. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Gee that does suck. Hopefully the Lynx will fill the space - eventually??

On a brighter note - Vanoise is lovely Spring touring country - I was there way back in 94'

Did you do 'the pass' nice and early Boodwah? The slope came down a couple of hours after we returned on our (sunny) tour. Quite sobering to ski through 2-3 m high snow boulders.

29. Snow Blowey

same here. I want to be just like you.

30. telecrag

Problem with any product that is light IMO, light can never be stronger.

31. dossa5

dossa5 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes very true and combined with a vertical heel lift and low stance adds more stress on bindings.

skifree and telecrag like this.
  32. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

No way, you’re too unhandsome and unsexy.

Majikthise likes this.
  33. Snow Blowey

i can keep on trying hard though.

34. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

35. Goski

Goski Addicted

Was thinking of using the heel from a Fritschi Tecton binding (the Kingpin killer) with a Meidjo which opens up the boot choice to any NTN boot regardless of heel inserts - if an occasionally locked heel is wanted - but the weight is 328gms or 400gms with brakes vs 120gm for a Meidjo Alpine heel. So is that too much difference? Still lighter than a Salomon Shift but that is a heavy binding. The Fritschi brakes would be better than those available for Meidjo from what I've read. Could mount the Fritschi heels with inserts and take them off when doing longer tours....?
    I'll first aim to try the Meidjo first and may well decide that no heel is necessary due to better alpine turning ability of a Meidjo over my 7tm 75mm binding. Haven'y got any NTN gear yet.
    https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2017-2018-fritschi-tecton-12
    Any Meidjo users using an AT heel sometimes or if not, would you fit one?

36. Goski

Goski Addicted

Just realised that of course if in tele mode the brakes on the Fritschi heel will be tucked away and will not deploy on a release so if wanting brakes then one would need to use Meidjo brakes. Also I just saw on a youtube installation vid for the Meidjo heel that the higher climbing bar must be removed to accommodate the Meidjo Alpine heel. Always there are compromises.

37. telecrag

Im in the either tele, or AT camp. Otherwise, why not put a meijo/Kingpinfrankenbinder on a splitboard, and have it all!

38. Boodwah

I did initially.
    Never felt that robust, it was maybe more of a psychological thing when i was learning to tele.
    Now I just don't like fixed heels for anything - but want my forefoot more secure than Meidjo can offer.
    Am taking the Lynx's out for maiden voyage this weekend.

skifree and telecrag like this.
  39. telecrag

Waiting on impression, and then reliability!

40. Goski

Goski Addicted

"which opens up the boot choice to any NTN boot regardless of heel inserts " NO, it doesn't. The Fritschi heel locks into the slots where the pins would go so you'd need Crispi NTN boots with heel inserts to use the heel.

41. Goski

Goski Addicted

Looking forward to your report on the Lynx @Boodwah

42. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

This is why my mate still uses 75mm fully cranked. He's an ex Australian alpine racer and carves like nobodies business on tele's.

43. skifree

There is a thread talking about the Lynx and test drive impressions, well of a beta Lynx.

So we do look forward to the @Boodwah report.

44. dossa5

dossa5 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

N
    no spring travel :eek:

45. mr

Ok today i had my first meidjo let down. After arming it, sorting the toepiece, when i click the duckbutt down, and then up, the little doodad in the middle of the duck butt isnt letting the duckbutt go flat on ski and the boot pops up. After clearing the ice,, swearing at it, poking it and the like with some pliers i got it to work. But then i forgot, took em off, and same problem. Any ideas @skifree . Cheers

46. skifree

Happy to help, got any pics.

I’m based in Jindy.

47. mr

Thanks @skifree .....ill take some tonight.

skifree likes this.
  48. mr

My other thought is i take the 2.1s off my unloved ultravectors and replace the 2.0s that went bung. Pretty sure the screw pattern is the same. Need to fix em before going to NZ on friday.

49. skifree

Are you large or small?

50. mr

Large in meidjos