Melb - Warmest September Ever

Discussion in 'Alpine & Snow' started by skiflat, Oct 2, 2006.

1. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

The Age - Clicky

Melbourne has experienced its warmest September ever recorded, according to meteorological website Weatherzone.

The first month of spring had an average maximum temperature of 19.7 degrees Celsius - a massive three degrees above the month's long-term average of 17 deg C.

Weatherzone meteorologist Matt Pearce said the city's average maximum temperature was also .2 of a degree warmer than the previous hottest September on record, seen 1928.

The temperature peaked at 30 deg C on September 19, Mr Pearce said today.

"The high temperatures were a result of persistent north-westerly winds which dragged hot, dry air down from the interior of the continent," he said.

"Normally at this time of year we expect cold fronts to cross Victoria every few days ... this happened far less frequently this September."

It was also a "very dry" month, Mr Pearce said, with the 36mm of rain recorded across the city 23mm down on the long-term average.

"Rain only fell on nine days, compared to a long-term average of 15 days," he said.

Find it interesting that they simply used meteorological website Weatherzone, for their information.

Nevertheless, interesting weather after one of the coldest June's on record (think it was June)

*waits for all the global warming loonies to arrive*

#1 skiflat, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

*loony checks in*

Not really worried about this. We'll get payback soon.

3. tomtankman

tomtankman Addicted

That Mr Pearce is becoming a real celebrity. Sydney also had their warmest September on record, if you count min and max temps.

4. Vermillion

if you look at this map...
    [​IMG]

You will see that a very small sliver on and north of melbourne is in the 18-21C contour, to the west and east the temps are all in the 15-18C contour, which is right on average. Sometimes a singal value can be very misleading.

#4 Vermillion, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

This probably shows it better:

[​IMG]

#5 Sandy, Oct 2, 2006
  6. Vermillion

but then what about this one sandy?
    [​IMG]

it shows that min temps were almost on average for the whole of the state.

#6 Vermillion, Oct 2, 2006
  7. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Check out the alps defecit!

[​IMG]

Also i think an earlier post this year mentioned the correlation between southern weather and qld weather. Qld wetter, colder, windier (alot windier) - South, dryer colder

#7 mr, Oct 2, 2006
  8. Sandy

The minumums being about average doesn't mean much.... if the night times are cold like normal, but the day time temps are 2-3 degrees above average, then if it does precipitate, it might fall as snow during the night, but it would rain during the day..... which is often what actually happened.

#8 Sandy, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  9. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

So many pretty coloured maps....!

Interesting that the nights and days were different as per the maps!

10. Mrstr_Chief

Mrstr_Chief One of Us

There called thematic maps (theres some interisting dinner conversation there)

#10 Mrstr_Chief, Oct 2, 2006
  11. Vermillion

800-1200mm extra in 1 year is a hell of a lot of extra rainfall.

12. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

...yeh, i thought that was amazing in the gulf

13. daj

daj First Runs

The area of record high daytime temperatures actually covers most of northern Victoria, southern NSW and the settled areas of SA. Almost all of Australia experienced well above average temperatures and as a whole the month was Australia's 7th warmest September on record (so no cigar). Of course, this not quite a record came on the back of the hottest August days on record.

The suprising thing about the minimum temperatures is that they weren't lower given how extreme the drought has been. Across OZ as a whole they were +1C above average, which is a long way ahead of comparable drought years such as 2002, 1982, 1972. It is well known that our drought years have been getting hotter, as a result of global warming.

Good to see the head in sand mentality is live and well on the website! Guess we need a few more dud seasons and hot years before you'll give up your faith the crank denalist science [​IMG] ...

Hill Billy

#13 daj, Oct 3, 2006
  14. Vermillion

people like you in the 70's said there would be no snow in australia by 2000, yup, ill believe what you say. :rolleyes:

15. mochon

mochon First Runs

There might still be snow,amounts are definately on the decline and there will be more sesons just like the one we have had,i dont think anyone can dispute that

16. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

Verm: You prob know about this one.

If anyone saw the news the other night, Mr Brumby and some CSIRO guy was at the media launch of the "improved fire preperations" for this years fire season.

They showed a graph which showed global warming meant a bad fire season, and this is why this year is going to be very bad. ALL due to global warming.

Thoughts [​IMG]

#16 skiflat, Oct 3, 2006
  17. Sandy

That's crap....

If it's going to be a bad fire season, it would be due to El Nino.
    Show me the proof that THIS El Nino is caused by global warming......

18. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

It was all staged for the media, and a big simply graph with the title "Global warming increases fire risk" whilst that is true, Brumby and this CSIRO guy (young geek) were ranting on about global warming being the cause of this years bad fire season.

Lack of rain is the cause
    Caused by El Nino

19. Vermillion

correct sandy and anddee. Fact is march this year we were already talking about 06/07 being a really bad fire season. Otways are just itching to go up, same with the whole of east gippsland. I dont want to bring bad things on to people, but if you live in these areas, i would be very very worried this summer. I was in the otways last summer and there was METERS of fuel on the forest floor, no backburning allowed in that nat park (****ing greenies) means boom with a bit of spark.

20. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes agreed, high fuel loadings are a big worry V but how do you get the timing right without doing a PV job like at the Prom last year and the Mallee recently?

As for ***ing greenies! After watching 4 Corners last night, I'd say ****ing Gippsland Rednecks and gullable, stupid ALP for handing our Vic forests over to the mill owners. Disgraceful!

http://abc.net.au/4corners/default.htm

#20 snowgum, Oct 4, 2006
  21. daj

daj First Runs

>people like you in the 70's said there would be no snow in australia by 2000, yup, ill believe what you say.

OK vermillion, point us to the relevant quotes. We are all dying to see them. I could point you to MIT studies and prediction from NASA dating back to "around this time" which predicted about 0.5C of warming, and yes that's exactly what we got.

Hill Billy

PS, you didn't seem to make yesterday?

22. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

When I was a child in the late 70's and early 80's, the "political class" were telling us that climate would get cooler due to the "evil Americans" polluting the world (apparently the then Marxist regimes didn't pollute) and causing something they called "nuclear winter", although I never found out quite what this was.

Now the same loudmouth lefties are demanding to be taken seriously for saying the opposite is happening to the climate, but for similar reasons! :rolleyes:

This time, I'm fairly sure that they're right, but I just can't take most of the claims made by the political class seriously any more. No doubt next year they will find another reason to claim the sky is falling and blame it all on the evil Americans again.

23. Vermillion

daj - my lectures are monday and wednesday.

24. Vermillion

ah ha, u meant the other ATM class, the one thats pointless and i dont go to.

On a side note, and i dont mean to discredit you, but your lecture was titled:
    'Lecture 20. Current understanding 3: Climate scepticism: claims, counterclaims, and the value of information'
    Now, if your views in real life are anything like your views on here, then i dont think it was entirely appropriate for my unit coordinator to assigned you to such a lecture. again, cant blame you for your views, but i would have expected someone with a bit less of a biased opinion to lecture on such a topic.

#24 Vermillion, Oct 4, 2006
  25. daj

daj First Runs

Vermillion, just love a closed mind. So what exactly are you at uni for? :rolleyes:

For you benefit (and others who might be interested) I have pulled the slides dealing with what's wrong the the "sceptic" arguments and placed them on the web at http://www.flickr.com/photos/72584009@N00/ There are 37 slides in total . Enjoy!

Regards,

Hill Billy

#25 daj, Oct 5, 2006
  26. rollercoaster

rollercoaster First Runs

I probably wouldn't stop if I saw someone crossing the street that thought human induced global warming was stupid. I feel sorry for the next generation.
    But then again people are entitled to their own opinions and I'm sure those type of people wouldn't be walking anywhere in the first place. They'd be driving their patrol or landcrusier. :doh: