Melbourne boot fitting - Bootlab / Aussie Skier; Orthoski?

TzeC

First Runs
Jun 21, 2022
Hi All -

Was looking to update set of old boots for this season, and was hoping for some help:

1. Is Bootlab the same as Aussie-skier? I noticed an old post from @CarveMan showing that Bootlab was set up within Aussie Skier (I hear great things about Andy)

2. If Bootlab is not - was hoping for any feedback re Aussieskier's current boot-fitters as do like the 3D scanner tech available

3. Has anyone tried Orthoski up in Falls Creek? I like the idea of on-mountain assistance, however, will be at Hotham for a week prior to Falls, so would be missing out on new boots if I were to wait.

Many thanks!

azzski

Should know better
Ski Pass
Aug 6, 1999
St Kilda, Australia
Had boots fitted in Melbourne by Orthoski during a clinic they held outside of the season. I'm a difficult fit and use orthotics day to day - they were very thorough and able to help me, wasn't cheap but they're the best fitting boots I've ever bought.

TzeC

First Runs
Jun 21, 2022
Tried calling FootPro today, and surprisingly was informed that men's boots do not come in 24.5 mondo. This is news to me

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Tried calling FootPro today, and surprisingly was informed that men's boots do not come in 24.5 mondo. This is news to me
Hmmm.

It's at the bottom of the bell curve for men, we don't order many but we do order a few.

One of our bootfitters could probably shoehorn himself in a 24.5 as a race fit but skis 25.5 because there's a better range. Myself and our other bootfitter are both 25.5, so 24.5 isn't 'off the chart' small but definitely not much volume in that size for blokes.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

RXI73D

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2005
Sydney
Wife and I had boots fitted by orthoski when they were in Sydney earlier this year as part of their pre season road show to have their customers boots fitted. Cant speak anymore highly of them, they were fantastic, and as they are orthotics made as part of the process they are extremely comfortable and perfect fit.
Aftersales support is also fantastic and can help you from anywhere in Aus/World with quick responses, and can refer you to alternate boot fitters they work with for after sales support or tweaks if they are unable to get to you (location).
As stated above, not cheap, but the best money spent

TzeC

First Runs
Jun 21, 2022
Hmmm.

It's at the bottom of the bell curve for men, we don't order many but we do order a few.

One of our bootfitters could probably shoehorn himself in a 24.5 as a race fit but skis 25.5 because there's a better range. Myself and our other bootfitter are both 25.5, so 24.5 isn't 'off the chart' small but definitely not much volume in that size for blokes.
Hi @CarveMan - Are you one of the boot fitters / owners at Aussieskier? Wouldn't mind coming in if you have some options available in the smaller size - just don't want to go to a store where I am put into a boot which may not be ideal but is in stock.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Hi @CarveMan - Are you one of the boot fitters / owners at Aussieskier? Wouldn't mind coming in if you have some options available in the smaller size - just don't want to go to a store where I am put into a boot which may not be ideal but is in stock.
Aussieskier won’t put anyone in anything but an optimal boot for them, regardless of what they have in stock. They will work with you to find a good match-up. @CarveMan is the driving force behind Aussieskier.

Contact them directly for bootfitting enquiries:

Ski Boot Fitting @aussieskier

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I'm the owner but not a bootfitter, but make an appointment, come in and we can scan your foot, take a look at it and go from there.

I just had a cursory look at a couple of our suppliers that have their stock listed in online portals and there's not much in a 24.5.

It might be a matter of finding the right women's boot TBH - 24.5 is abundant in women's boots, just need to find something with the right flex and fit and that is pretty neutral in its appearance.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I'm the owner but not a bootfitter, but make an appointment, come in and we can scan your foot, take a look at it and go from there.

I just had a cursory look at a couple of our suppliers that have their stock listed in online portals and there's not much in a 24.5.

It might be a matter of finding the right women's boot TBH - 24.5 is abundant in women's boots, just need to find something with the right flex and fit and that is pretty neutral in its appearance.

RS 130? I swear judging by the gender split in the Perisher locker room I ski in a womens boot.

Reactions: CarveMan

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Gear found in locker rooms is unlikely to be found in my shop!

But you made me look and they're not in stock.
Not exactly mass market, but its always amused me. I fitted boots at Alpsport in Syd, a store with a similar target market to yours.

When I bought my first alpine boots in 20 years I was surprised Burf put me in 130s. Then I got to the locker room for the first time and girls almost half my weight were in the same boot. I had a giggle at my apprehension about the flex rating.

TzeC

First Runs
Jun 21, 2022

Cheers - thanks for having a look at the stock

Many Thanks, will do - appreciate you looking at inventories. Flex is probably the issue with W boots but at 65kg I am not that heavy either.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
I have an old pair of boots sold to me by a compeditor of Aussie Skier that I have barely worn because they are too tight, too small and hurt all over. Is it possible to shave back the foam inner to make them more roomy or should I just chuck them out and regard it as an expensive lesson not to trust every boot fitter?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Aractus

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I have an old pair of boots sold to me by a competior of Aussie Skier that I have barely worn because they are too tight, too small and hurt all over. Is it possible to shave back the foam inner to make them more roomy or should I just chuck them out and regard it as an expensive lesson not to trust every boot fitter?
How old…..

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
How old…..
About a decade old, but barely worn. I really want to rescue them if I can. Size 26, and too tight all round.

image_2022-06-24_223719235.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaeron

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
About a decade old, but barely worn. I really want to rescue them if I can.
If stored away from heat & light then, and only then a maybe.

It also depends on where and why they are too tight. Comments below mainly relate to a shell that is uncomfortablly tight, rather than the liner….

Maybe the best bet is to find them a suitable recipient and then start again…

The older plastic boots may not have the same degree of moldability - can depend on the quality of the plastic. Some cheaper stretched plastic shells also don’t fully retain their stretch over time.

Equally, only tight at the toes or only tight over the arch or at the broadest part of the foot can be easier to fix than two or three out of three.

Sometimes having to stretch outwards limits the capacity to stretch upwards as well and vice-versa.

There are also limits to how much one can stretch a boot without impacting the integrity of the boot or potentially warping the base of the sole which renders the boot useless.

Many bootfitters only really make adequate margin on the combination of mark-up on the boot retail plus mark-up on the provision of a custom-made footbed or sale of inners.

The sales volumes/ turnover in Oz make it difficult to make any decent coin out of boot adjustments alone.

Most bootfitters are quite rightly a bit leery to try and fix an imperfect boot that has no chance of fitting in the first place.

A bootfitter will be able to determine whether or not the match between skier and any given boot is redeemable, but that will mean a consultation which either the boot fitter or the client can end up losing out on.

Besides expanding the shell there are other options

1) going for a lower/adjusted bootboard (the bit between the shell and the liner at the bottom of the boot,

2) opting for a thinner alternate liner (if one has access to another already comfortable /packed out one that fits the shell one need not buy a new thinner version),

3) removing the footbed (inside the liner)

4) selecting a thinner footbed (including a thin liner from a pair of runners)

5) Unfortunately, as the old joke goes about preparing eels for eating - mostly its a case of follow steps 1-4 and then throw the damn thing away.

All the above options are best tried along with a bootfitter. Compromises to make an unsuitable boot liveable are just that. You’re still going to end up with an unsuitable ill-fitting boot, just slightly less ill-fitting.

Old time bushwalkers unfortunately too frequently have too a high tolererance for discomfort and pain and many who ski then put up with bad boots because they start with warped expectations…. (guilty as charged)

Disclaimer: I have only a little knowledge of boot fitting issues and a little knowledge is probably even more dangerous than ignorance.

I myself have taken a perfectly good pair of less than optimally fitting ski boots to a boot fitter and on their advice have chosen to start from scratch with an alternate boot as that would deliver a better outcome. The boot fitter got nothing out of providing advice most clients don’t want and aren’t willing to hear, but equally their reputation is on the line.

Boot fitting is frequently a step by step process in any case - it’s best to keep boot adjustments to a minimum and to make further adjustments once the impact of initial changes are tested out.

So frequently it takes a bit more than a single shot to get things quite right.

We mostly have the expectation that a single adjustment will address matters once and for all, but it doesn’t always work out like that - feet contract and swell with heat and exercise, and boots ski different on-piste to what they feel like in the shop.

I’m penning this for general interest, not primarily in response to @Bogong ‘s query, as many punters may not get some of the complexities of the arcane aspects of boot fitting… certainly I don’t, not having any orthopaedic experience myself, just odd feet….

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I have an old pair of boots sold to me by a competior of Aussie Skier that I have barely worn because they are too tight, too small and hurt all over. Is it possible to shave back the foam inner to make them more roomy or should I just chuck them out and regard it as an expensive lesson not to trust every boot fitter?
If the issue is mainly the liner you could shave the inner, try an old inner or new thinner inner, or remove the footbed or base plate or try an alternate thickness footbed or base plate or play with any combination of the above… depends where and how they are too tight… if it’s the shell rather than the inner then this probably won’t work.

The modern heat mouldable inners, especially a thin one might do the trick…

Reactions: Bogong
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
I have an old pair of boots sold to me by a compeditor of Aussie Skier that I have barely worn because they are too tight, too small and hurt all over. Is it possible to shave back the foam inner to make them more roomy or should I just chuck them out and regard it as an expensive lesson not to trust every boot fitter?

You should have taken them back for an adjustment/return the same year you purchased them. Every reputable bootfitter will provide a 12 month fit guarantee, during that time they can adjust them if necessary or if they're the wrong fit provide a refund. I hope you have a better experience with your next fitting.

Reactions: Marty McSly
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass