Trip Report Melbourne

KylePee

Cage rattler
Ski Pass
Feb 10, 2012
Jumped the wall to Mexico
Haha nice. Was going to say not enough sunise/sunset vista but you got it into the back half.
Reckon I might have seen you along the bay Sunday a week and a half ago

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Fantastic trip report! I've visited some dangerous places in my lifetime, Kashmir, eastern Turkey etc so definitely want to check this destination out.
Yes well the locals are quite friendly, but they all seem to keep their distance.
We actually struck pretty tame conditions, I didn’t have to break out the crampons, axe, or BSP once.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Yes well the locals are quite friendly, but they all seem to keep their distance.
We actually struck pretty tame conditions, I didn’t have to break out the crampons, axe, or BSP once.
Never travel on public transport with an ice axe. I lent mine to a friend once, later we caught up in the city and he gave it back to me. I took it home with me on the tram, and despite wearing a suit, tie, brogues, the whole "city uniform", I got some very strange looks. No one would sit on the vacant seat next to me, even though I tried to be as discreet about the bloody thing as I could be, I kept it by my side and never brandished it in a threatening manner, but non mountain people seem to think an ice axe is an instrument of pure evil. :(

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Oh yeh, that woulda been me. I’m the only one in melbourne on ghey blades with poles.

A member of the Aus xc olympic team lives locally and during summer months is roller skiing the roads around us. On the coarse bitumen can hear her coming from some distance along with the clacking of the poles. She is seriously fit.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Never travel on public transport with an ice axe. I lent mine to a friend once, later we caught up in the city and he gave it back to me. I took it home with me on the tram, and despite wearing a suit, tie, brogues, the whole "city uniform", I got some very strange looks. No one would sit on the vacant seat next to me, even though I tried to be as discreet about the bloody thing as I could be, I kept it by my side and never brandished it in a threatening manner, but non mountain people seem to think an ice axe is an instrument of pure evil. :(
Best part of the ice axe on your pack is people respecting your personal space in the lift queue.

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
This is definitely my most unusual trip report yet.
But pandemic lines are proving challenging to access for us poor Viccos...
Smashing stuff. Thanks @Majikthise for the link to this. Love the speed skating, aerodynamic stance. I'm prone to a bit of that myself. Even when I'm twizzling turns and transitions with the crew down here in Hobart you can always spot I'm a speed skater from my body position! Such wonderful nostalgia seeing all those trails which I've done so many times before. I miss that wonderful trail network of Melbourne, such an asset. Thanks, this made my day!

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
Smashing stuff. Thanks @Majikthise for the link to this. Love the speed skating, aerodynamic stance. I'm prone to a bit of that myself. Even when I'm twizzling turns and transitions with the crew down here in Hobart you can always spot I'm a speed skater from my body position! Such wonderful nostalgia seeing all those trails which I've done so many times before. I miss that wonderful trail network of Melbourne, such an asset. Thanks, this made my day!
I was confident @Boodwah was poaching your old stomping grounds. ;)

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Yep we're lucky, not a bad placed to be locked down if you like to ride, walk, run, swim or skate.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Sounds very Covid

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
That must have been a while back. Dont think you can even get a bike over now...
And out of my 5km radius atm...
Was wondering about pulling off Around the Bay, but an unlikely starting line this october...
They’ve already canned it.

I reckon you could sneak on especially if you did it in one of the early, longer rides. It’s pitch black when you head over the bridge.

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
That must have been a while back. Dont think you can even get a bike over now...
And out of my 5km radius atm...
Was wondering about pulling off Around the Bay, but an unlikely starting line this october...
Great Melbourne Ride many moons ago. My skating club rolled it as a nice disciplined peleton. Nobody complained and it was a real hoot.

Reactions: Majikthise

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
I don't really remember to be honest, maybe 50Ks? Would be around that. I also skated to and from start and finish (City/Flemington Racecourse) from Brunswick. Yeah, I have 125mm on my old speed skate boots and the roll is fantastic. They are not exactly nimble turners though!!!

Reactions: Chaeron

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
Noice. My most regular training route was from Nth Carlton or Brunswick via the Merri then over the Fairfield Boathouse Bridge to connect with the trails heading out the Eastern Freeway to Springvale Road and back. That was on 4x80 or 5x84 depending on which boots I was using and a decent enough distance with some great surfaces and a small number of not so great. A lap of the Yarra connecting up with the route through Princes and Royal Park through Southbank was a nice shorter loop. Or I'd roll down to Port Melbourne and then take the Bay as far as I could be bothered before returning. There are so many options for good 50K or longer routes with very little need to go on roads. Pretty good surfaces for the most part too. Moonee Ponds Ck trail, Merri up as far as Faulkner (sp?) and Maribyrnong (sp?!) were good to explore too. I'd loop via Merri and Upfield and Park street, connecting through the quieter streets at the Northern end up near the Faulkner cemetery. I assume there are a few more good options these days although the Eastern Fwy jaunt seemed little changed when I rolled it last year. I've been away around 12 years now.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Takes me back to the mid 2000's going skating through the streets of Sydney.

Mind you, I had a pair of Salomon ST8 aggressive street skates back then, so the complete opposite of these massive wheeled ones you are using:

11.jpg

Reactions: Boodwah

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
Just out of interest, when you are cruising long distance, do you back off the top buckle to allow you more forward flexion? If you haven't tried it I'd recommend giving it a go. It gives you a bit more nuance on the edge contact angles in the push phase. Worth playing around with as an exercise even if you don't ultimately like it!

Reactions: Boodwah

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Just out of interest, when you are cruising long distance, do you back off the top buckle to allow you more forward flexion? If you haven't tried it I'd recommend giving it a go. It gives you a bit more nuance on the edge contact angles in the push phase. Worth playing around with as an exercise even if you don't ultimately like it!
Do that a bit, because like you I tele and whilst I cant lift the skate heal I can at least have more free movement range.
Pretty much did all of those trails in the weeks leading up to stage 4, the only new good areas since you have left (but which link everything together), are a good track from port melbourne to the city, and then Southbank-Southwarf-Docklands. I also like the giant Lorimer St-Todd Rd leading around to Fishermans Bend

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
I've often wondered whether a pair of slap skates would allow me to fake a tele. It's not the same just rolling on the front wheel of the rear skate. Too twitchy. I have faked it that way though just for shits and giggles. I recall the Port Melbourne link being OK but a bit scratchy and narrow in parts, behind the tram sheds and a little way after that.

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
Leon trotsky says hi

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Leon trotsky says hi
Well, over half of my journey on the Number 96 tram was through Yarra Council, the only place in Australia to elect a proudly Trotskyist councillor. So perhaps the people that shunned me when I was carrying an ice axe on the tram all those years ago voted for Councillor Steve Jolly (a rather inappropriate name for an angry revolutionary Marxist).

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
I've often wondered whether a pair of slap skates would allow me to fake a tele. It's not the same just rolling on the front wheel of the rear skate. Too twitchy. I have faked it that way though just for shits and giggles. I recall the Port Melbourne link being OK but a bit scratchy and narrow in parts, behind the tram sheds and a little way after that.
PM link a bit better these days.
These new Skikes have heal lift, and apparently more manouverable according to Len.
https://skike.com/en/shop/skike-cro...-cross-skate-silver-green_25.1.417.12001.html

PK Sawd

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2001
Hobart, TAS, Australia
The lack of ability to flex the forefoot in any meaningful way means these techniques can never truly match the beauty and sublimeness of a Tele on "real" ski gear. Of course it is not what these devices are designed for! But it's the closest I get to any form of skiing these days.

Reactions: mr and Boodwah

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
This is definitely my most unusual trip report yet.
But pandemic lines are proving challenging to access for us poor Viccos...

Boodwah, next step is the Kangaroo Hoppet 2021 :thumbs:
That was magnifico.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass