mission to make snow 3

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by steve8113, Mar 21, 2007.

1. steve8113

steve8113 First Runs

so verm, are u all ready to get it crankin once the cold weather comes? also is anyone else doing it

2. Planks & Sticks

Planks & Sticks One of Us

Might want to repost this in roughly 2 month time, no cold nights until April!

3. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

definately will be doing so whenever i get the chance. Word on the street is i could possibly be doing it a fair bit more often than last year [​IMG]

#3 Vermillion, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  4. Kahanamoku

Kahanamoku One of Us

"Posted 21 March, 2007 05:24 PM"

Hmm... 2 months would make it May! [​IMG]

#4 Kahanamoku, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  5. Planks & Sticks

Doh, got April and May mixed up! :doh:

But still, between April and May is the best time to start a thread like this. [​IMG]

Vermillion, are you going to release a master plan of your snow gun, or is it commercial secret? [​IMG]

#5 Planks & Sticks, Mar 21, 2007
  6. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

all i will say is that i have a new, more powerful design ready to pump out the white stuff when the time comes. The first time you will probably see it will be the BC drinks night at narby if it's cold enough.

im thinking it will put out 3-4 times as much based on tests ive done over summer. but u never know until u get the right conditions.

7. themann

themann First Runs

what is your objective throughout this? to make snow to do what on?

it seems like water wasting to me.

8. Planks & Sticks

That is an interesting point. Do they have "Residents are to be restricted from using snow making equipments on their properties throughout the restriction"?

Seriously, I wonder what it actually falls under. Might be a good idea to use tank water to make everyone happy.

#9 Planks & Sticks, Mar 23, 2007
  9. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

I have a decent bore and was thinking of experimenting this winter

10. Adjum

Adjum Hard Yards

Make sure you post pix!!!

11. Planks & Sticks

TTIUWOP!! :p

#12 Planks & Sticks, Mar 23, 2007
  12. Adjum

Adjum Hard Yards

Does it involve a CFA tanker?? [​IMG]

#13 Adjum, Mar 23, 2007
  13. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

In the country many properties get their water by pumping it out of creeks or bores, so what does it matter if water gets pumped up and turned into snow? It will eventually melt, soak into the ground and it will soon be available to be used again as bore water. This is especially true in cool, high rainfall areas where snowmaking occurs, as the ground is always fairly wet in winter anyway.

City people (and country people from arid areas) just don't understand that, unlike gas and electricity, water is not entirely "used up" each time you turn on the tap. With sensible management the same water can be used many times with only modest losses.

14. Bogong

Ski Pass - Gold

In the past he's done it north east of Melbourne in the Marysville area or nearby at places like Teckel's shop at Narbethong. I understand there were no water restrictions of any sort in the area.

15. Ben

Ben One of Us

Please keep this topic on track. It's not about water restrictions...

Perhaps he may not flush the toilet 3 times so he can use that water instead...

16. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

[​IMG] at ben. Also i have ben to thank for giving me the motivation to get into this in the first place.

I tried to seriously make snow at my place once last season, because conditions only permitted it to be done once (when i wasnt planning on going to narby). It didnt work, even though the conditions were more than enough for it to work, and i attribute this to UHI warming the air. I wont be trying it here in melbourne again cos it just wont work, unless we get -2C one night. But like i said if we have -2C in melbourne it will be even colder in the hills, which is where i'll be.

I have a few spots i make it, all of them currently let me us tank water which is better as it is not as filtered and contains more particles that aid nucleuation, kinda like my homebrand snowmax :p

Like i said, if all goes according to plan i will be making snow a couple of times a week at least (weather permitting) throughout much of the season, and i will be posting lots of photos and vids this time, though not of the gun and set up, that's a bit of a secret due to the amount of time, effort and money that went into the design.

A final point on restrictions, as far as i can see there is nowhere in the restrictions manual (i have a copy of it, i thought i would need to look through it) that says you arent allowed to operate a snowmaking machine. Ima thinking i would be one of a handful in melbourne (if not australia) with a homemade set up like this, so it's not as issue. Also, the pressure washer will take up from a bucket/tank, so i wouldnt need to use mains pressure anyways. For a quick comparision my pressure washer shoots out 8ltrs/min on full load, and i have it on about 1/2 to 3/4 load, so we're talking 4-6 lites a minute = 240-360 litres an hour. Like i have also said this is all done in the mountains where runoff will end up back in the creek i took the water from in the first place.

Hope this gives people some answers. [​IMG]

#17 Vermillion, Mar 24, 2007
  17. board freek

board freek One of Us

so theres a bit more to it then just setting your hose on fan spray and waiting for the weather to cool down :rolleyes:

18. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Of course the restrictions book isn't going to state snow making machines restrictions, but i assume it would just be classified as general 'outside watering' which is restricted on days and for times. I wouldn't think it would matter whether you took the water from the mains, transferred it into a tank, collected it into thousands of lemonade bottles, then pored them all into a bucket. Unless its been collected from the sky by you, its came from the tap and restrictions would apply. The run off would be negligible.

Your going to be shooting out nearly 1500L / week (couple of hours a night twice a week), for the entire season when the rest of us will be on Stage 4 Restrictions. Do you think thats over the top? It makes the rest of our daily water saving efforts seem just a bit more pointless now.

Sorry i gotta come across harsh but everyones gotta pull their weight in times like these [​IMG] .

EDIT: Your are getting the water from the mains? if not then i take back what i just said.

#19 Stratus, Mar 25, 2007
  19. albinbundy

albinbundy First Runs

Bring it up to bundy and arc it up -- oh - byo weather conditions though :doh:

20. Stratus

Stratus A Local

I only speak from one end tekcel [​IMG]
    "Like i said, if all goes according to plan i will be making snow a couple of times a week at least"
    If its not my saving efforts then its someone elses.

#21 Stratus, Mar 25, 2007
  21. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

hmm nice to see you take apart my post to read between the lines. But look closely and you will see that ive said 'i will be making snow a couple of times a week at least'. However i did not say this will always be with my homemade gun, hence the 'if all goes according to plan'. In fact if all does go according to plan then i probably wont have much time at all to use my own gun, ill be too busy using other peoples [​IMG] hehe.

#22 Vermillion, Mar 25, 2007
  22. Bogong

Ski Pass - Gold

Politicians (both Labour and Liberal) have taken advantage of urban naievety to spread fear and panic about water among city people. This distracts the people from wondering why politicians haven't allowed any new dams to be built for 25 years.

In reality there are rural araes in drought and rural areas that are barely aware of the dry in other areas. But panic-mongering by politicians has worked so well that self-righeous but clueless people are now jumping on their high horse and pontificating about things that they know nothing about :rolleyes:

23. Stratus

Stratus A Local

So...what is this big secret plan of yours that makes it ok to use all that water? [​IMG]

#24 Stratus, Mar 26, 2007
  24. Hey Verm, while I applaud your efforts and cheer for more :cheers: , I think you are being a little precious.

Who do you think will "steal" your ideas? A company that has spent 30 years and maybe hundreds of millions of dollars on development? NO

Do you think we will start up on your coat tails, and try to overtake the existing companies out there doing it.
    NUP

You should be proud to tell us how you do it, unless it is no more than a jet and dirty water, which I am guessing it most probably is?

Just let it all out Verm!!!

#25 BourkeStreetMaul, Mar 26, 2007
  25. Custard

Custard One of Us

Sounds like he's got a job as a snowmaker... sheeeesh people!

26. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

i have not got a job as a snowmaker. yet.

27. Fangin'Wolvy

Fangin'Wolvy First Runs

Has no one mentioned the scientist in Verms? Without testing/experimenting there'd be no technology or the bettering of it.
    You think he's not thought out carefully the drought?
    Heck, let the man be FFS.
    Shame on you few Mooshers....

28. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

nah too late you've wrecked this thread. congratulations.

29. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

oh and BSM - i really should have re-worded that. Its not cause im being precious, but if i post a pic of the gun people will want me to post photos of the components, and give them detailed lists on how it all works and what ive done to make it. Honestly i cbf doing that again this year. maybe i will change my mind later on. Im not worried about people copying me, if u want to give it a shot let me know and u can come down and play with my gun (between 6am-8am on tuesdays and saturdays :p ) and give it a go for yourself. im a little over taking the damn thing apart every week to fix/try something new now that i know it all works.

30. **Princess**

**Princess** First Runs

All posts deleted. Carry on.

31. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

no boarders allowed BSM :p

just kidding, cruise along, we might have to make a snap drinks night in the hills one night if i can pump out a decent amount.

32. OK, for your sake, I will be a skier who can also board [​IMG]

I think princess was offended verm. We need a smart a$$ emoticon or a tongue in cheek

#34 BourkeStreetMaul, Mar 26, 2007
  33. [​IMG]

#35 BourkeStreetMaul, Mar 26, 2007
  34. Actually, here is Verm making snow

[​IMG]

#36 BourkeStreetMaul, Mar 26, 2007
  35. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator

If you do then detail it here:
    http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Home_made_snow_guns

That way you wont have to keep doing it. Write it once and then refer to that page when needed.

#37 Ian D, Mar 26, 2007
  36. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

thanks for that ian, i have a word document that is for the old gun that is more of a toy than a serious snowmaking machine. I will find time to put that up before winter.

Princess is offended because of what i told her. i was in a bad mood. Instead of privately apoligising, i am doing it publically [​IMG]

#38 Vermillion, Mar 26, 2007
  37. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

All mine deleted too, Princess. No hard feelings [​IMG]

#39 teckel, Mar 26, 2007
  38. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

id better be nice to her, she might be hot [​IMG] :p

#40 Vermillion, Mar 26, 2007
  39. **Princess**

**Princess** First Runs

None here either teckel.

40. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Wishes I had a job as a snowmaker....would beat my current boring job. Anyways, we got no water restrictions here in Bathurst, so its all systems go snowmaking in my backyard and down on the river this winter!!!! I hope I can make a toboggan run this year [​IMG]

#42 rollyz, Apr 2, 2007
  41. Planks & Sticks

Maybe you could aim for a full ski run. Find an old tractor, remove the cam shaft and rig it up to a rope tow, now you have a machine that is able to bring skiers up and make the OHS have a field day! Might even have more verticals than some ski resorts in Oz.... :p

#43 Planks & Sticks, Apr 2, 2007
  42. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

The back section of Mt Pannorama in the old nature reserve would be fantastic to turn into a ski resort. It has some good gentle and steep slopes. The slopes are South East facing and are tree shaded. There is Town water supply on the mount (for all the toilets showers etc at the races) and there is two dams at the bottom of the valley to collect water melt, so can be recycled again for snowmaking! There are also toilets and picnic tables for people to enjoy.

One problem.... though I am yet to take more temperature readings, but in september last year, as with temperature inversions, the higher you go the warmer it gets, like it was -3 at the base of the mount and +3 at the top of the mount. This was only on the night I was going to make snow up there, and was at the end of the snow season so it may be a different story say in June and July... only a few months to wait to find out.

43. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

inversions will make a big impact that far inland.

44. Adam

Adam First Runs

Is it time yet?

45. Bryonski_aka_Bryan

Bryonski_aka_Bryan Hard Yards

Rollyz take a gun to the track on the ESSES, we then can ski/board the dipper woooo [​IMG] , wishful thinkin i know but couldnt help meself, BTW Verm good on ya for givin it a good crack again this season :cheers:

#47 Bryonski_aka_Bryan, May 22, 2007
  46. bk

bk First Runs

will there be a big enough amount to ski on...wishfull thinking:p

47. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

not with just one gun, i guess u could slide down a rail if its set up that way.

48. Silence

Silence One of Us

^ nice..backyard setup picsorban