1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

mission to make snow 3

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by steve8113, Mar 21, 2007.

1. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Snow still good the next morning. Next to try and make larger amounts.

SnowBound and Jellybeans like this.
  2. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

an ice epee would be more your style i would have thought...

rollyz likes this.
  3. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

hmmmm…. welcome to Summer... last 3 days were good for snowguns, though the daytime sun has been a killer. Now all next week is no good. I'll keep experimenting with the ice making.

4. DaveM

DaveM Addicted

Hey Rolly only just back in here after ages. Great to see you’re still at it!! You’d better buy a house in Eggo or Morrisset St

rollyz likes this.
  5. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Yes, true. I lived at the bottom of Stewart St near Morrisset, and my clothes would freeze like cardboard on the line during Winter. It would be nice to have some land near the Bowling Centre.

Mitchell Pearce likes this.
  6. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Well, I've had some mixed results over the weekend. As the Winterfest started this weekend, we thought should get something up and running. The weather has been totally wrong, So warm and hot the past several days, then it rained last night and today. About 10 friends we all got together to get this happening. Pulled out all the tube ice from the freezer, as well ordered 4pallets of ice, then another 4 pallets of ice delivered. The Tube ice took ages to do, defrosting in hot water and feeding, the bagged ice was easier as no defrosting from tubes, but had to spend some time banging the bags breaking up the ice a bit, then feeing the machine. Using just the short hose with the machine it sprayed far but thinly, adding the 100m PVC pipe to the tube lessended the spray, seemed to slow it down, but got the snow to land nicely where we wanted. The top half of the slope we did about 10cm deep, the bottom half we did 20cm, and we created two piles of 30-40cm deep in the play area. We had a bit of trouble reaching the play area so I added another pipe 2meters, at 90mm. It worked . We all worked hard, unpacking pallets, breaking bags, cutting bags, filling buckets and to feed the machine. Later the snow stopped coming out, on inspection the tubes/hose were blocked right up to the machine. I think the step down to 90mm was creating a blockage. Cleaned them out, and waited for the impeller area to clear thaw out. We did probably 2 ton of tube ice and 4 ton of cube ice. We probably worked at for about 5 hours, and needed a break. The weather was hot as, felt like summer, and the top part of the slope was melting fast. We decided to stop. put the next 4 pallets of ice in the freezer for another day. The snow slope worked, toboggans slid down. Play area, the snow was good for snowball and to make a snowman, but were too tired to make one. As the day wore on we could see the ice melting in the sun. We fired off some more snow from some bags we could not fit in the freezer, minus the 90mm tube so no building up of snow inside.
    The next day, the bottom part of slope was still there and so were the play area mounds. Snow quality was like Spring snow. It held well over night, but melted quickly in the hot sun as the day progressed. Kids played on it and made plenty of snow balls. Last night it rained as well as today, This morning the bottom slope was patchy and the snowplay mounds were still there but smaller. This arvo the toboggan slope was all gone, and two small patches left for the playarea.

We recon:
    * 20cm was good but a 30cm is much better and holds good against the rain and sun. 10cm is not enough.
    * Ice cubes are better than the Ice tube method. Wasted so much time thawing the tubes.
    * We need a better hopper opening for the machine to get ice cubes in.
    * Better still, need a orga to lift a steady steam of ice cubes into the machine, rather than by bucket.
    * Yes a ice cube making machine would be good for the longer term. Though how do we store the ice cubes?
    * We need to get more shade over the toboggan slope.

The weather will get a little cooler later in the week, with a possible -1C but still not snowgun worthy. Sunday coming is looking like a -3C so time to get the snowguns out then. The evening before I think I will chip out the 4 ton of ice we still have and use that as a base to fire the snowgun snow onto to build up the toboggan slope.

7. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Well.... I finally did it !

The weather has not been good for snowguns here this year, only just a few days with minus temps early on. Hence the trials of making alternative snow making methods. Some things work, some didn't, some of it mentally frustrating, some bloody hard physical work. With the Winterfest here in Bathurst, I had a team of helpers try and make a toboggan slope last weekend, but the weather had turned to Summer and it was an uphill battle with the hot temps that had us beat.

This weekend there was the promise of -3C so I set my sights on another attempt. With 4 ton of bought ice cubes at the ready and the snow guns. Well as the day approached, again the weather promises changed to be much warmer. No snowguns again, it only got down to 1.6 that morning. But I wanted to smash this ice. Up all night from 9pm to 8am, unloading bags of ice from the freezer, breaking up bags, cutting, pouring chipping, spraying. Couple of friends came and helped at short sessions. I think I was going mad with all this hard work. Lots of coffee all night long. Then the sun came up. A quick shovel and snow rake. Put up a few decorations. A quick self test toboggan slide. It worked. Presto! A Toboggan Park !!!

Then all morning, the crowds came to play. :)

I now need sleep. A lot of sleep...….

8. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Lol.
    Love it ya madman!

9. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Word got out and the people came.

10. DaveM

DaveM Addicted

Where is your slope located ?

11. DaveM

DaveM Addicted

Bloody great effort mate

Lucky_Star likes this.
  12. craighelo

craighelo One of Us

Thanks for the inspiration @rollyz

Attached Files:

13. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Get it up right to the top of the ladder for some more hang time.