Question Mitts only

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Beerman, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Mitts only, no gloves. Tell us what you like and why.

Short cuff, zips, Brand X, removable liners, etc................. please tell??

2. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

My mitts have an internal pocket for handwarmers. I can never go back to gloves now.

3. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

One important feature is whether they have internal fingers within the mitten lining. Some have this, others are all open internally so the fingers can touch one another. Personally I prefer no internal division, it is definitely warmer, although a little more clumsy. This is often not a consistent feature within a brand. For example both myself and partner have hestra leather mittens, and one has internal divisions the other doesn't.

4. MarkGC

MarkGC One of Youse
    Ski Pass - Gold

Mitts are the bomb, gloves suck.

I have Burton mitts but I'm a skier, only cause the store where my wife got her Swanys didn't have Swany mitts in my size.

5. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Montbell Outdry Mittens. They have a long outside waterproof breathable shell, and a thick merino wool inner.
    [​IMG]

I've lost weight over the last year, and I feel the cold more in my fingers(in Japan). I searched around for mittens with the free index finger and ended up with these Montbell mittens, which I hadn't considered before. (was looking at the name brand western brands)
    These are brilliant!!! The shell is long and can pull right over your jacket in good weather. When it's wetter, you can pull the drawstrings tight and slide the jacket sleeves over the top.(but try it out with your jacket first)
    They come with a thick merino wool knitted inner which is very warm.... or if you like internal fingers, you can buy a Montbell merino inner, OR I often wear a lighter skiing glove INSIDE the shell, which is really effective.

All up, these mittens are great. After I suggested these to a friend, he said that they were the best thing ever!!

6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

I have new mitts with internal divisions- I'll give my feedback next month!

Used my sons mitts with my liner gloves last NH season when my gloves just weren't cutting it - so much warmer!

7. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Mitts are for little kids
    :out:

8. K_Bird

K_Bird Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

Love the mitten! I have Dakine ones with removable inners. They have the usual elastic drawstring around the top, but I rarely bother.

9. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless
    Ski Pass - Gold

I am smitten by mittens.:)

Hints:
    If it's Cold = wear liner gloves with mittens
    If it's wet = no liners ( hands will stay warm, even if mittens are soggy)
    If it's hot and dry = abandon mittens, just wear liner gloves.
    If it's hot and wet = just ask @JoeKing what to do.

:D

10. kaegee

kaegee One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Mitt mostly. Shell with nothing ,light fleece or heavy fleece fingered internal.

11. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I saw @Sandy post on Ziggy's RAB glove review. Do they make the Mont-Bell's in proper Mitt's, or just Lobster??
    I have some Black Diamond Guide gloves that were new for our trip to Japow in January 2016. Down to -8C they were ok but much below that they didn't cut it, hence now looking at Mitts. I got the Black DIamonds for AUD$110 delivered, which i thought were going to be warm enough, going on reviews.

12. Sandy

[​IMG]

If you've never had mittens before, you have to understand exactly how awkward they are with out a free finger. For example, when you're trying them, try on a jacket as well, and try to put the mitts on and zip up the jacket!!! ;)
    i.e. If you have to take the mitts off when you adjust your jacket, then your hands will get cold.

With the lobster mitts, you can always pull the finger in with the others while you're on the chairlift, for instance.

13. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Don't get me started. Parents who don't know any better always want their little kids (from about 3 or 4 years old) to have 'fingers'. Trying to convince them that little kids can't do ski gloves and that there are no tiny gloves for that age is a daily issue for me.

K_Bird likes this.
  14. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

I was one of those parents @teckel
    It comes from a place of ignorance, and of projecting your own comfort zone onto your kids.

Have you got a spot in the shop to do an educational poster about gloves vs mitts and why they are warmer for everyone, especially kids? I reckon it'd save you a few explanations - not all but a few

15. smackies

smackies A Local

Swany.

Mitts are good for cold. Shit for trying to do anything.

16. K_Bird

K_Bird Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

I confess my glove-wearing husband does roll his eyes and tell me I'm "more hassle than the kids". In fairness, a good part of that is down to my wrist guards which make everything more awkward, including making it harder to put my mitts back on.

One thing to be aware of now I think of it:

I'm wary of whipping a mitt off on the lifts (eg to check my phone or take a photo), because occasionally the inner doesn't stay in the mitt, but doesn't stay on my hand either - ie it falls to the ground. I think that's possibly because it gets caught on my wrist guard, but something to be aware of.

17. skidiva

skidiva Addicted

Mitts. With glove liners and the mitts have to have the pocket for the chemical warmers. I have bought 3 pairs of battery warmed gloves (1)and mittens (2) and all have had failures in a very short period of time. I regularly ski in very cold temps and even have different liners for different temps. Works a treat.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Mitt shells are part of my DIY modular glove system for BC touring in spring. I use the OR Goretex jobbies and then one of an assortment of fleece or liner gloves. I've never found a reliably waterproof glove for poling in the rain.

19. LMB

Ski Pass - Gold

Do you fall onto your outstretched hands often?
    Really, after the initial learning stage I think wrist guards are more hinderance than help.
    They will just transfer the break further up your arm.

YES I've broken my arm/wrist snowboarding without wrist guards, but to be fair Id have broken it with them on too - just maybe in a slightly different spot. Sometimes you're just going to do an injury if you eat it!

I wore a guard on my healed break the first season post injury as I thought it was a weak spot that could use extra protection for a while, but it'd drive me bonkers to wear them every day! It most definitely made me fussy and fidgety with my gloves, and more likely to drop stuff.

20. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Gloves for me. I don't suffer from cold hands and like the dexterity a glove provides. My wife uses the Hestra three finger mit because it helps when frigging around with kids gear but still provides the warmth of a mit.

21. K_Bird

K_Bird Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

I generally try not to fall often in general ;) But when I do, it's usually a fairly spectacular wipeout.

The wrist guards were probably more habit than anything, but the one time I didn't wear them (indoor slope) I smashed my wrist and found myself in hospital for three days. The surgeon specifically said "wrist guards" after that - although he did admit it would probably just move a break (if one was going to happen) up my arm, but I assume that's easier to fix than a wrist??

I think I also have got a bit lazy and tend to just drop down onto my bum with outstretched arms when I'm buckling up, because I know that the wrist guards will take the hit. I wear knee pads for the same reason - and they're also much comfier when grovelling on the snow fixing up the kids.

22. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I have a pair of Aldi mitts that I wear when it's colder than -18 or so. Too warm for me otherwise. (I don't suffer cold hands obviously!)

23. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

So, @Sandy, you would recommend these for very cold temperatures? I'm looking for mittens that are extremely warm as my hands do feel the cold, even with inners. I assume these can be ordered on-line?

24. Sandy

I'd probably recommend the ones without the finger if you get really cold. I got them just to take the edge off really cold days, but use gloves most of the time.
    But I'd say there are probably much warmer ones around.

25. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Look for Hestra, Swany or Oyuki mits in Australia. Easier to access and all good quality and warm.

LilaGris and Lady Penelope like this.
  26. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker
    Ski Pass - Gold

Love my Blackdiamond Mercury Mitts for winter.
    Probably 10 years old and still going strong and warm.
    Removable inners

neck_deep, DPS Driver and Kletterer like this.
  27. neck_deep

neck_deep Hard Yards

Best mitts going round for the price i recon. I've gone through 2 sets over the last 10 years but love them in all conditions. A little hard to change over from touring to board so just recently brought a set of hesta mitt/gloves with the trigger finger. The hestas seem really well build but only used in the BC 5 or so days this year (and only in aus) so will see how they hold up.

28. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Check out the XTM Verbier Mitts - I've been skiing in their gloves for the last couple of years, I am super anal about my gloves/socks/goggles - more so than skis/boots, and they are as good as any of the top brands.

Nice leather, Gore Tex and their new MerinoLite insulation. I've skied in the glove version in the US and in some filthy rainy days this season and have nothing but good things to say.

Kletterer likes this.
  29. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 Hard Yards

I have Dakine leather ones, gore-tex and wool lining I think. With a short under cuff I found to be much less of a hassle than 'over jacket' cuffs. I wear glove liners as if you need to do anything you kinda need to take the mitt off. They are a PITA in that regard but I'll never go back to gloves, unless its very warm. With liners and chemical hand warmers I still get cold but that's a problem with me and not the mitts. I could wear a heated body suit and still get cold I reckon!

30. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Definitely mitts for kids - with a long bit of elastic tying them together. Stops the kids losing them if they take one off .

Note to self: if I did this for my gloves, ten I might not be as paranoid about dropping one when I'm riding a chair.

K_Bird and DPS Driver like this.
  31. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Modular systems for me, thin liner gloves are a must then either a heavier glove but trigger finger mittens with a mitten shell when it gets cold
    Currently using the OR High Camp "3 finger" with an older style Goretex shell and it works well; I really prefer the versatility of the modular even if it is a little more complex; and I always always use the idiot loops on my gloves and mittens

32. silva

silva Hard Yards

Another vote for OR mitts here - shell only in spring, shell plus mitt fleece liner on normal days, shell plus fleece liner plus thin wool gloves on super cold days.
    I really like that the liners are removable - if you somehow get the inside of your glove wet whip the liner out and spend 5 minutes drying it over a heater or the hand dryer in the bathroom and you are good to go again. My OR gloves have velcro which keeps the liner in place.

33. Cherry Ripe

Cherry Ripe A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Swany Toasters. Individual finger liners with a zip down the side so you can just unzip and pop the fingers out to do up jackets etc. It's easy to pop in a chemical hand warmer pocket and with mitts it stays on the fingertip where you need it most.

They didn't come with a wrist elastic but I added an after market one and they are now almost perfect.

The only improvement I'd suggest is an E-touch index finger but I think the latest version has this.

I use my mitts on all but really warm spring days when I wear a pair of Oakley leather gloves.

34. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Ski Pass - Gold

Mitts with no finger compartments, allow hand warmers to be slid down, right against the back of your fingers.

If it's cold and you are at altitude. Nothing assures warm fingers better.

35. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier

Long bones generally heal quicker than joints.

K_Bird likes this.
  36. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I saw on another forum recently, that 1 person had owned a pair of Swany Toasters and a pair of Black Diamond Mercury Mitts, and said the BD MM are noticeably warmer than the Swany's.

37. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

38. LilaGris

LilaGris Hard Yards

Second Hestra. interchangeable liners and very warm. Mitten or Lobster.
    In -25 conditions in Sweden, no problem

39. Choppers

Choppers Hard Yards

Also a big Hestra fan. I bought the Extreme mitt and never needed anything warmer. 8 seasons in and still in great condition.

Tried gloves but quickly moved to mitts for Northern Rockies/Canada skiing.

40. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

My 7 year old wants gloves because he thinks they will make it easier to make snowballs. Based on my own experiences with gloves, there’s no way he’s getting anything other than mittens. Plus, mittens are easier for me to put on them when they need help getting them on.

I should add, most children older than about 8 years old have larger hands than me.

41. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

I bought a pair of Anticorp mittens last year and found them OK, but my hands would start to feel a bit cold by the end of the day. I’ve since bought a pair of Swany mittens with internal liners, although I haven’t had a chance to try them yet. I also bought a pair of merino liners from Aldi to go under the Anticorp mittens as backup.

crackson likes this.
  42. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Anticorp are excellent value for money. Do your hands get cold easily?

crackson likes this.
  43. Peanut

Peanut Hard Yards

I did notice that my hands and feet were both cold by the end of the day while on the snow last year. The hire boots were all round terrible in that the lining was not very warm, and they seemed to exacerbate the issues I have with my shins. I’ve since bought my own boots, so I’m hoping that helps. The mittens were pretty good - it was only in the last hour or two of the day that I’d start to feel cold in my fingers, and it was my thumb getting cold that I’d notice first. I think I was actually sweating in the mitten, then the sweat would start to cool.

44. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Eldest daughter has similar hand issues. Use a very thin liner (silk or wool are recommended) and swap out as required to keep the moisture down and the warmth up.
    Try to monitor your grip level at intervals during the day. My wife used to have the grip of death going all day and complain her forearms were sore after skiing. I suggested she was hanging onto the stocks too tightly. I made her ski without the stocks for a few runs and then she realised. No more cold hands for her.

45. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

As a general rule your extremities get cold because your core is cold. Your body restricts blood flow to extremities to preserve core temperature (your body is very smart). If you are consistently getting cold extremities (or they are too hot) have a look at all of your clothing, not just gloves and boots.

46. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

And your head. Huge amounts of heat lost via the head. Try a thin beanie or balaclava under the helmet, or try a helmet if you don't wear one.

Chaeron likes this.
  47. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

In related matters - I sometimes suffer from chillblains due to cold feet, and simply driving in warmer socks and less tight shoes to and fro from the snow has made a difference to that.