Mont Moondance 1 Full Nylon?

Terrylea Reynolds

First Runs
Jul 6, 2020
Hi folks.

Anyone had any experience in snow camping with the Mont Moondance FN (4 season tent)? Am thinking of purchasing one for snow shoe trips next year. Their website says they're a 4 season sub-alpine tent and I intend to take it to places like White's River Hut, Horse Camp Hut, Cascades and Teddy's. So, likely to need something that will handle decent level of snow on the ground and perhaps 20-30 cm falls overnight. Have had problems with ice building up inside the inner of a 4 season tent before and it's not pleasant - probaby my fault for not ensuring sufficient ventilation. So, would love your thoughts if any of you have had experience with the Mont Moondance FN 4 season tent when snow camping in KNP? Thanks in advance :)

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Hi folks.

Anyone had any experience in snow camping with the Mont Moondance FN (4 season tent)? Am thinking of purchasing one for snow shoe trips next year. Their website says they're a 4 season sub-alpine tent and I intend to take it to places like White's River Hut, Horse Camp Hut, Cascades and Teddy's. So, likely to need something that will handle decent level of snow on the ground and perhaps 20-30 cm falls overnight. Have had problems with ice building up inside the inner of a 4 season tent before and it's not pleasant - probaby my fault for not ensuring sufficient ventilation. So, would love your thoughts if any of you have had experience with the Mont Moondance FN 4 season tent when snow camping in KNP? Thanks in advance :)
It’s very new, so doubt if anyone on here has actually used one in anger.
It’s well-designed and Mont know their stuff and local conditions - very sure it will stand up to the conditions and terrain you’re identifying. I have the regular Mont Moondance and it’s an awesome tent.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Asked about the "sub alpine" thing, it is about snowloading, so I am thinking about getting one, happy to wake up and knock it off, usually do anyway.

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Jul 19, 2017
I actually held off purchasing one due to not being allowed to go an use it in intended conditions, next year all going well....:thumbs:

Reactions: Chaeron

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
So I have a One Planet Goondie in full nylon.

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/goondie-1-nylon/

It was bought for fair weather solo trips in Tas and the snow. I think the pole design here is stronger than the Moonlight for snow.

I have not yet used it in the snow.

@skifree
What outer option did you go for - 7D or 30D - 30D presumably...
  • Mesh inner and 7 D fly – this model is lightweight for three-season use. The mesh inner allows maximum ventilation whilst the fly is small, light and shakes almost dry.
  • Mesh inner and 30 D fly – this tent provides a solo hiker with lightweight performance, excellent ventilation and durability. The 30 denier polyester fly has a long field life while the mesh inner provides maximum ventilation
  • Nylon inner and 7 D fly – the full nylon inner adds warmth and wind protection, making this an excellent choice for solo hikers on extended solo missions below the snowline.
  • Nylon inner and 30 D fly – the solo hiker’s sanctuary. When the weather closes in in the mountains, this tent will keep you warm, dry and comfortable.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
@skifree
What outer option did you go for - 7D or 30D - 30D presumably...
  • Mesh inner and 7 D fly – this model is lightweight for three-season use. The mesh inner allows maximum ventilation whilst the fly is small, light and shakes almost dry.
  • Mesh inner and 30 D fly – this tent provides a solo hiker with lightweight performance, excellent ventilation and durability. The 30 denier polyester fly has a long field life while the mesh inner provides maximum ventilation
  • Nylon inner and 7 D fly – the full nylon inner adds warmth and wind protection, making this an excellent choice for solo hikers on extended solo missions below the snowline.
  • Nylon inner and 30 D fly – the solo hiker’s sanctuary. When the weather closes in in the mountains, this tent will keep you warm, dry and comfortable.
I can't remember any of that & do not think all those options were available when I bought it.

It so happens I need to pull it out to check it for a forthcoming Tas trip so I'll see if the labelling sheds any light on these queries. Might take until the weekend.

Slowman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 10, 2016
A good friend of mine uses the one person Moondance with the full nylon inner. He is happy with it for ski touring. It is light for a double skin tent at about 1.5kg, roomy, easy to erect and has good ventilation options. It’s a below tree line, reasonably sheltered site sort of tent though - unless you were very confident of fairly calm weather. You can also buy a Mont mesh inner to swap out for the full nylon one and use it as a summer tent.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
They can handle wind fine, I think the snow loading thing is because of the pole design. Ive had my 3 season one in decent wind no worries.

Reactions: skifree and Chaeron

Terrylea Reynolds

First Runs
Jul 6, 2020
It’s very new, so doubt if anyone on here has actually used one in anger.
It’s well-designed and Mont know their stuff and local conditions - very sure it will stand up to the conditions and terrain you’re identifying. I have the regular Mont Moondance and it’s an awesome tent.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
I have no personal experience with either of the tents but either one could use your ski poles to support the fly-over ridge pole and take some really heavy short term snow loading.
There are a couple of tents from MSR that are designed like this and the WE Space tents do this as well
https://www.wildernessequipment.com.au/gear-guides/shelter/space-2-tent-details/
A member over at Bushwalk is selling a pair of carbon fibre poles that would do this for a mere 96 grams; I don't have a spare $75- or I'd have grabbed them myself

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
The Moondance has a pole hub, rather than two crossing over, that is the weak point for loading, not the ridge pole, its about more space, apparently the new one is bigger than the old, and lighter than the old 3 season (with nylon inner) too. Well, 100grams, but hey.

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
My understanding after conversations with WE was that the hub assembly was much stronger than crossed poles but it was the increased internal volume that is the main benefit. In either case adding the extra vertical poles to support a roof/ridge adds to the overall strength of the tent

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass