1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Moonlight pure tele binding

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by chokenchickin, Aug 6, 2019.

1. chokenchickin

chokenchickin One of Us

Got out again yesterday in the rock solid icy conditions. I have the Pure tele bindings mounted on Voile Hyperchargers. I have never had a ski that wide before, so I was interested to see how the bindings and wider skis would go on the ice.

Compared to my Meidjo (Version 1) bindings, the Pure tele's did not feel as active. It felt as though it took longer in the turn until I felt the rear binding really crank up. Made my skiing feel a lot freer, something that I have been missing for the last few years. I would consider moving the cable to the more active setting if I was skiing harder snow all the time. There also seemed to be a greater range of travel in the binding. Could almost reach the ski with my knee. But who wants to do that anyway? Don't need any more stitches.

There was slightly more lateral movement in my boot heel with this binding compared to the Meidjo, but could not notice it when skiing. The small heel locators seem a bit unnecessary, and I can see myself removing them in time. Hopefully on powder days no snow balls will build up on them...

I have soft Scarpa TX boots and was concerned about edge hold on steep icy slopes. The combination of equipment worked really well overall. However (perhaps another thread here for someone), I did notice that when skiing fast on ice, the Voile Hyperchargers did a lot of chattering. And on short turns on a steep icy slope, I noticed that the tail of the skis would wash out at the end of the turn. But overall, the skis felt good too. No warranty if you mount them with tele bindings though...

telecrag, Chaeron, malas1 and 3 others like this.
  2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Not a big surprise given their build/construction, a bit of a trade off with a light category ski. If you fool about with the amount of edge you are rolling onto you will be able to reduce this somewhat. Also making larger radius turns helps, there is a lot of ski there.

Pretty piss poor ski design on Volie's part. They obviously had some claims against them with tele bindings pulling out. This could be due to the mount methodology or quality and/or technique and/or whatever was happening with the skiing as much as the ski construction itself.

Ziggy, Chaeron and chokenchickin like this.
  3. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

I'm no longer headed for an Alaskan winter but I can see that binding working with the La Sportiva Olympus Cube HA mountaineering boot if it ever gets to the market