1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

More general questions about FC.

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by snowduck, Sep 10, 2008.

1. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

These are all purely random, but I'm keen to know the answers:

# What is the 'history' of the Snowman Statue out the front of the building which used to be the Supermarket/ Wombat's Cafe ? Who actually 'owns' it - the FCRM ???

# I see the village shuttle is now being operated by Landcruisers fitted with tracks. What have the FCRM done with the previous "Pope Mobile" and other vehicles ?

#Perhaps the site I most am fascinated by in the village is the Wat Thai Ski Club on Slalom Street It's the building close to Winterhaven that has a definite eastern temple style to it.

After over a decade of travelling to Falls, I've never seen anyone in or near the building. Never seen any lights on, or signs of visitors inside. It's a beautiful place that I've both photographed and captured on video. People who've never been to Falls comment on my photos, but I can't provide any history or info on this Ski Club or their building.

Anyone info or comments ?

2. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

The 'pope mobile' was still in the Oversnow storage area last time I was there. wealthy was always told that the Was Thai Ski Club was owned by a wealthy Malaysian businessman, but this could be an urban myth.

3. snowobsessedgirl

snowobsessedgirl Hard Yards

I agree with Apresski, I was told last year by the lift company that the club is owned by a wealthy person from Asia. Apparently he only uses it once a year (it at all) and it is not rented out.

#3 snowobsessedgirl, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  4. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

# What is the 'history' of the Snowman Statue out the front of the building which used to be the Supermarket/ Wombat's Cafe ? Who actually 'owns' it - the FCRM ???

The shop built it many years ago.

# I see the village shuttle is now being operated by Landcruisers fitted with tracks. What have the FCRM done with the previous "Pope Mobile" and other vehicles ?

Alan Paye of Oversnow told the FCRM that he was no longer going to run the service so the FCRM bought the machines to run the service themselves. The machines however are messing up the roads far more than snow cats and will shorten the ski in ski out if they continue to be used

#Perhaps the site I most am fascinated by in the village is the Wat Thai Ski Club on Slalom Street It's the building close to Winterhaven that has a definite eastern temple style to it.

There was a regular to FC that was into importing from Asia who in the 60s I think had the whole building built in Thiland and shipped over and reasembled. He was later told private ownewrs were not allowed so he got a heap of family members and friends to form the ski club thus closing the loop hole.

5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'm surprised at what you say about the mat-tracks messing up the roads more. To me they seem to do a lot less damage. But that's just my casual observation, not anything official. The service is so much better. They travel at a much better pace and are usually fairly reliable if you wait for one to come by.

6. foxhound

foxhound First Runs

Village Shuttle vehicles are able to turn their front wheels / tracks, rather than skid-steer like the Oversnow monopoly vehicles thus causing less impact on the road snow cover.

The Asian-themed lodge was the property of the late Keith Hyland (the "duck feather king") who had a business importing duck feathers from South East Asia in the 1960s for pillows, doonas etc. He brought a crew of builders from South East Asia to construct the lodge, apparently using very few nails in the construction. Hyland skiied Falls Creek until late in life and I recall seeing him wearing a rather stylish orange one-piece suit, complete with cravat.