1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Morocco.Trekking and ski touring

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I have been looking at the trekking options in the High Atlas mountains for 2018 and have discovered that ski touring is also possible.

Tanuki likes this.
  2. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

I was in Morocco 1 month ago . it snowed down to about 1200 metres in the Atlas mountains .
    There seemed to be snow deep enough for touring above about 3200 metres.

Bogong likes this.
  3. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Would be an interesting tour!

4. kamishah

kamishah First Runs

5. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Morocco and Atlas are awesome. Amazing culture, amazing mountains. Toubkal, whilst high is not too hard a treck in summer, but definitely need guides in winter. There are some really cool multi-day ski tours, with several high altitude refuges. There was a heli-ski operation operating out of Marakesh but they've been shut down recently by the government.

6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Which months in Morocco would permit some BC XC skiing as well as a possible trek up Jabal Toukbel?

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

skifree likes this.
  8. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Good surf in Moroc.
    Same swells as France, Spain and Portugal just quite a bit further south.

My old Man surfed there in the late 60’s and/or early 70’s.

9. Boodwah

Boodwah One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Was a nice break at Rabat last Jan, but the water was cold and filthy so wasnt tempted
    Kitesurfing big too, especially Essouria (spelling?).
    We had snow in Fez and the surrounding hills, and the Atlas were spectacular as we left. I took my skis a couple years before, but the snow was marginal. Its always a gamble.

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I would be most inclined to focus on the hike up Jabal Toukbel as well as the culture and architecture in the cities.

11. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Essentially Morocco is a fairly dry country so to get a decent base you would need a big snowfall in late autumn / winter.Its cold enough at 4000m to stay .
    When I was there in November they had had that .

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It looks Iike I will be going to Morocco in April 2020.I will look into what Atlas Mtn.s trekking can be done in that season as well as walking in the Lake District in the U.K. I will be back in time( Early May ) to get fit for the 2020 Oz Ski season.

13. buckwheat

buckwheat One of Us

We hit up oukaimden ski resort in the middle of the season but snowpack was measured in mm not cm. Def a cool country to check out though.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  14. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Went back bike riding this May , saw all sorts of stuff from green coastal to desert sand dunes camel riding .
    The High Atlas still had snow on north aspects dont know how deep it would be up high but skiable.
    Previously went to Oukaimden ski resort temp below zero and but no snow but it is only about 3200 m max so cold to mtbike down from but Atlas goes to above 4000m.
    That time other bits of Atlas had heaps so obviously depends on snow direction.
    Anyway no prob trekking the drier bits of Atlas, v rocky but a lovely country.

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am reading about the trekking and skiing options in the Rough Guide to Morocco. I should be there in early April which is apparently the last phase of the ski season .I may well just go to 'Ouka ' as they know it in the vernacular and if they have some snow I will rent some gear and have a bit of a ski. The book also says that going up Jabal Toukbel[4167 m] in April is a snow climb with ice axe and crampons. I have done that sort of thing before but may opt for some hiking routes below the April/spring snow line which seems to be at 3200 M..
    I would be inclined to spend 5 -6 nights in the High Atlas and 6-7 nights looking at Mosques and markets.

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ifrane

Built during the French protectorate, this city resembles any Alpine village in Europe. Jebel Mischliffen is a small ski area a few miles outside of Ifrane. It was built in the 1950s and has remained largely unchanged. The runs are short and the chairlifts unreliable. This is a good ski hill for amateurs or families. If you’re nearby, it’s worth a trip to see the city and say you skied in Africa!

Oukaimeden

This resort is located about 30 miles south of Marrakech and is Morocco’s largest and most well-established ski resort. It sits at 8,500 feet above sea level and the chairlift rises to 10,650 feet. Jebel Attar is the highest peak and has five runs, the longest of which is about two miles. There are shorter lifts if this hill is too intimidating. A day pass for Oukaimeden is only $10 and rentals are around the same price. Beware of “guides” on the slopes offering assistance for a fee. Ask for a true instructor if you’re unsure of ability and skills.

Tazaghart

Are you an expert on the ski hill? For the truly advanced or expert skiers, Tazaghart, in the same mountain range as Oukaimeden, is the hill to conquer. The only way to access this slope is to physically climb Mount Jebel. There is a small hut available at about 9,900 feet, but there are no other facilities on this hill. This is a completely raw hill and conditions are dependent on weather patterns.

Heliskiing

One of the newest options for skiing in Morocco is heliskiing. This type of adventure skiing has been popular in the U.S., Canada and Europe for several years and is now making its way to Africa. Skiers travel by helicopter to the top of the mountain peak and are then dropped off so they can ski down the summit. For safety reasons, they are often followed by the helicopter and/or a guide. For the true adventure seeker and expert skier, this opportunity allows distance from the crowds and an adrenaline-charged experience. Heliski Marrakech currently offers this service to interested parties. New mountain skiers should not consider this.

Though skiing might not be top of mind when it comes to Africa, take advantage of lower lodging and airfares during the winter months and include skiing on your list of must-do items when you travel to Morocco.

17. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I rekon the Heli skiing would be pretty exciting for You on Your XC BC Rock hopping cross country Nordic skis. You wouldn't need Your XC BC kicker skins for that. Probably should take Your BC Micro Spikes though.

skifree likes this.
  18. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think more correctly you would say the BD XC BC kicker skins. XC BC skis with NNN seem a bit AC DC to me but would not pass as AT. OK? I wonder if Mr. T ever has the urge to unblock me?

19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I am just looking into the options. I think Heli skiing anywhere would be too tricky for me at present. I need to learn to parallel turn properly.