Most Picturesque Winter Villages Around the World

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Debate on these infernal lists can be virtually endless. FWIW I'd've put Quebec City in there somewhere. One of the oldest cities in nth american, World Heritage site etc etc, massive winter carnival. Ridiculously charming, decent skiing nearby too (for the east).

fairmont-le-chateau-frontenac.JPG

Reactions: rime noreason

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Bled , Hallstatt, Zermatt & some others definitely. Buller? LOL

San Marino is certainly picturesque as well, just didn't consider it as a winter village - they got it when there was a bit of snow.

I'd add Cesky Krumlov.

Reactions: DPS Driver

Legion

One of Us
Feb 23, 2005
That's a stupid list. Even in my limited travels I've been to much more picturesque towns. Top of my list would be several in the Jungfrau region.

Reactions: Majikthise

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
Rothenberg No 1. Rothenberg? That is a bigger travesty than Buller at 2. How about Wengen? I assume the two Austrian towns are Tirol, if so they must be something special to stand out from Innsbruck, Kitzbuhl or Kerfstein

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
They haven't really defined what they mean..... is it the view OF the town, the view IN the town, the view FROM the town, or the view of the town and the backdrop

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Fmr_Mr_Eski

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2012
Scary I knew where that was before reading the caption, even though I haven't been. Although Ukraine is on my to visit list.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
Bled , Hallstatt, Zermatt & some others definitely. Buller? LOL

San Marino is certainly picturesque as well, just didn't consider it as a winter village - they got it when there was a bit of snow.

I'd add Cesky Krumlov.
Heinz, I've got to agree with Bled. It's still one of my fondest travelling memories. I spent a couple of months there back in the 90's. Stunning, and with quite a unique Australian alpine connection, through the Hotel Toplice.

Last edited:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Heinz, I've got agree with Bled. It's still one of my fondest travelling memories. I spent a couple of months there back in the 90's. Stunning, and with quite a unique Australian alpine connection, through the Hotel Toplice.

I just had a couple of days there in 2011. It is stunning spot. You walk all around the lake (doesn't take long) and look at the views. End up taking pics of the island, the castle and the church from each vantage point, sometimes with a combination of 2 and even in a few spots all 3. Great from any angle. Then you go up to the castle and get the views down, even better. The island is tiny and as it happens is the only island that Slovenia has as opposed to Croatia. There was a small ski hill as well, but was spring when I was there so no snow.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Debate on these infernal lists can be virtually endless. FWIW I'd've put Quebec City in there somewhere. One of the oldest cities in nth american, World Heritage site etc etc, massive winter carnival. Ridiculously charming, decent skiing nearby too (for the east).

There is probably an architecture forum somewhere going at it over this, like as I'd someone mentioned helmets should be compulsory.

Reactions: Donza

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I just had a couple of days there in 2011. It is stunning spot. You walk all around the lake (doesn't take long) and look at the views. End up taking pics of the island, the castle and the church from each vantage point, sometimes with a combination of 2 and even in a few spots all 3. Great from any angle. Then you go up to the castle and get the views down, even better. The island is tiny and as it happens is the only island that Slovenia has as opposed to Croatia. There was a small ski hill as well, but was spring when I was there so no snow.

I was there in summer so swam in the lake and rowed my ex out to the bell tower. In hindsight should have left her there....

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
What's the restaurant in st christof where you can slide down to the toilets?
Don't know that one but I used to stop for morning coffee at the place just right of centre in that pic. Gorgeous place.

Legion

One of Us
Feb 23, 2005
St Christoph would look much better if they got rid of the high tension power line.

Lech is a quintessential Austrian mountain village. I could probably live there.

Reactions: Karicta

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Agree, Lech was gorgeous though I only skied through there while doing the white ring.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I'm withdrawing Cite de Quebec, just realised the thread title was for 'winter village'. Might be a long pull describing it as a village at 700,000+ people.

Reactions: LaNeige

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
I'm not sure they were actually rating them 1-30
I think we've all got a bit used to those pathetic click bait slide shows on News and Fairfax
Don't underestimate Buller.An Australian resort in snow gums is kind of special...and I've been to a few of the places in the list

Draizuh

One of Us
Jul 29, 2012
Wakatipu
www.splitboardnz.com
I lived in lech for a season and i dont think ive ever lived somewhere more beautiful. I actually shed a few tears as i left on the bus because i enjoyed living there so much.. Needless to say its on my list of places to go back to :)

5415107499_08eb6f6ced_b.jpg

Cross Country skiing back towards Zug and Lech. The Cliff face in the shade is the Schaafberg. The big Peak in centre is the Rufispitze

5395416264_1f0a4cf420_b.jpg

Zug just outside of lech. I lived in the Haus to the left of the church.
Bernie Eccelstone owners a popular restaurant apparently. Some guests met Sebastien Vettel in the Rote Wand, the Hotel to the right of the Church.

We enjoyed a sub par snow year that had -30 temps and the crispest clearest bluebird days you could imagine.. bit like that one.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
That one did at least make the list as it should have. Hoping to check out a bit of the skiing at nearby Obertraun/Krippenstein just around the lake from there.

Whiteman

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2003
North Sydney
A winter shot of Kirchberg, where we stayed earlier this year.

kam_001627_view-down-to-kirchberg-in-tirol_fotograf-kurt-tropper.jpg

Sadly for us, it was early March, 23c and bloody hot, and it looked like this. Still beautiful. :thumbs:

dkaiser_kirchberg_17896.jpg

Fmr_Mr_Eski

Hard Yards
Jul 17, 2012
thats looks pretty piss poor....a crappy hot chocolate with a marshmellow and a pastry that looks like it came from coles

thats looks pretty piss poor....a crappy hot chocolate with a marshmellow and a pastry that looks like it came from coles
Evidently, you haven't been in the fortunate position to try them.

The hot chocs are actually quite good indeed. The pies - fresh baked daily on the premises - are legendary. :thumbs:

It is sufficient reason alone, why one should learn to ski. :D

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass