1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Most Vertical Skied in a Day Challenge

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Makeo, Jun 27, 2016.

1. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

With a cable length of 2148 m and a speed of 8 m/s, that would be a ride time of 7:16 on the main cable, plus the load and unload sections which must be lengthy to accommodate the logistics of loading 30 persons per car. Say 60 sec for each of those for all up ride time of 9:16. Add another 30 sec top and bottom for ski removal/replacement and walking through load corral areas, now you are at 10:16 of skis not gliding.

To the skiing portion: I dont know what this piste is like, but let's say an appropriately equipped elite skier going flat out can match the 300 vert m per minute that our Apex competitors did. So that would give a run time of 2:50. Total lap time of 13:06 which if sustained over 6.5 hours would yield 30 laps of 853 m for 25, 590 m vert.

I would question whether those speeds could be sustained. There's a big difference between a 2 minute run and a 3 minute run in terms of anaerobic time and lactic buildup. It is no coincidence that the longest course on the world cup DH circuit is a shade over 2:30, and most run just under 2 minutes.

Sandy likes this.
  2. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

I wonder if someone at Maydena will beat that. It's 30% higher and bloody steeper!
    Uplift is slow compared to a lift though.

3. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

150,000 feet in a week. I got mine in 6 days without particularly trying.

4. Legs Akimbo

They ran the Olympic downhill on the Face Bellevarde, hence the name of the lift.

5. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

That sounds about right. Have to see if I can can find that badge.

sly_karma likes this.
  6. Legs Akimbo

It was also the days when you bought an extra ticket, on top of your normal pass, to ride the tram. It was a disincentive to ride the tram.