1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Mount Hotham Road Patrol – Winter Tyres Test Reports

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by snowtyres, Jul 27, 2018.

1. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

MOUNT HOTHAM ROAD PATROL – WINTER TYRE TEST REPORTS

2017 Winter Tyre and Studded Winter Tyre Test Report
    2015 Winter Tyre Test Report

The Mount Hotham Road Patrol is a 24/7 service that’s patrolled the Great Alpine Road
    for MTH RMB during winter months for 17 years, travelling in excess of 221,000km over this time.

Download the full 2017 and 2015 reports from Glenn Billman, Mt Hotham Snow Patrol from this link.
    https://snowtyres.com.au/learn/mount-hotham-tyre-trial/

2. Hully

Hully One of Us

3. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yep. Old news. Billman is a bit of a douchebag and whilst he is experienced, his report is nothing more than anecdotal, speculative and opinionated.

Yet he and his rig get to use snow tyres and the rest of us don't...

Hully likes this.
  4. Jellybeans

Jellybeans Walking on a cloud Ski Pass: Gold

When one already knows the outcome of the test before reading the report, it is an advertisement.

Rimey and Hully like this.
  5. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

"This report has been compiled and written by the Mt Hotham Road Patrol operator and has been produced due to the increasing interest generated from the Winter Tyre Test Report of 2015. To fully appreciate this report the reader should avail themselves a copy of the 2015 Winter Tyre test report, this would provide a valuable insight and understanding of the conditions and issues experienced on the roads in the alpine regions of Australia during the winter months. While this report is titled Winter Stud Tyre Test Report it will cover some of the pertinent information from the previous report (Winter Tyre Test Report, 2015). The information provided in this document has been compiled from observations, extensive experimentation and testing conducted along the Great Alpine Road at Mount Hotham by the Mt Hotham Road Patrol during the winter months, over a period of 17 years."
    Download the full 2017 and 2015 reports from Glenn Billman, Mt Hotham Snow Patrol from this link.
    https://snowtyres.com.au/learn/mount-hotham-tyre-trial/

6. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Since there's a range of influences on car handling, in particular driver behaviour, a reputable trial would test blind.
    Was that the case here?

7. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

"It is evident from information gathered from in excess of 370 serious vehicle incidents during the winter seasons over the past 17 years that the following things contribute to road incidents:" exert from the link provided by Snowtyres.

This table is from the Regulatory Impact Statement and deals specifically with crash data. It was only for 2008 but it gives a pretty good idea of the trend. Crash data is available online and without me exhaustively looking it up and posting I would suggest the figure of 370 serious incidents is a complete exaggeration. There have been some fatals from memory and whether snow tyres would have made any difference is debatable.
    "But the one common factor in 95% of all vehicle incidents on this section of road, is loss of traction with the road surface due to the icy conditions." more from Snowtyres link but then this from the RIS

"Further discussions with Victoria Police revealed that most of the vehicles involved in the 400
    incidents were fitted with snow chains. Hence, the problem would not appear to be vehicles not
    using snow chains but perhaps drivers driving inappropriately with snow chains. Not all motor
    vehicles can fit snow chains and drivers need to stop and adjust snow chains. Drivers will also
    typically drive at a slower speed that is relevant to the adverse weather conditions."

So it would appear that over-riding cause is not loss of traction but inappropriate actions by drivers. The next RIS is due out in 2019 and there is considerable discussion on snow driving and snow chains.

My investigations into snow chain regulations is continuing with some input from Vic Roads and Parks Vic. As far as I can determine, the areas outside the resorts which are covered by the signs (white with black writing) on the road have a requirement to carry (and at times fit) wheel chains. There is no regulation or rule (outside the resorts) to mandate the type or size of chain you carry. I know it is splitting hairs but if you get a ticket for not carrying the correct type (ladder vs diamond) or size of chain outside the resort then ($161) then consider making representations. The infringement is under rule 97(1) of the Vic Road Rules - Disobey information on a road access sign. The signs which have been posted may be enforceable (Vic Roads considers they are except for the yellow and black sign like on the Omeo Hwy, which is advisory) but they are not depicted or mentioned in any schedule so if someone wanted to try their luck they could test it as well but I would suggest that would be a court matter. I have suggested to Vic Roads these matters be addressed to take out any ambiguity.

Hully likes this.
  8. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

Hi Xplora I think this is partly correct. From memory (Hotham at least), yes that is correct that it is an RMB bylaw that governs the use of chains within the resort. Hotham is a little different, VicRoads manages the entire Great Alpine Road including that within the resort boundary, essentially within yellow lines is vicroads, outside yellow lines and within resort boundary is RMB. That being said, vicroads have declared, many years back, that the GAR section from Harrietville to Omeo is a declared Hazardous area during the declared snow season including something about the use of chains. So yes you need to carry chains from the sign in Hville/Omeo, yes you are disobeying a road sign, and the diamond pattern thing is a agreement between rmb and vicroads on that section of road. The other resorts may be/are different.

9. Hully

Hully One of Us

Far too much commonsense and logic in your post..... the snow chain argument needs to be based on anecdotal evidence, opinion and commercial self interest.

FlatLander likes this.
  10. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The hazardous road declaration is only in reference to heavy vehicles and does not apply to ordinary motor cars. This is one of the ambiguities which needs to be adjusted. Heavy vehicle drivers (and bus) must do a specific course as well. I have read all the relevant legislation and cross referenced. If I am wrong then I would need the reference to the applicable legislation that applies to cars. Happy to say I am wrong if it can be shown. As I said I am still investigating and am only concerned with the roads outside resorts which and not governed by the R.M. Act. Thanks for you input.

FlatLander likes this.
  11. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

same happy to be proven otherwise, and will look into it