Mountain collective?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Iangordon22, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Iangordon22

Iangordon22 Active Member

Has anyone bought the mountain collective pass?
    2 days free and 50 percent off after that seems like a great way to save on tickets, plus the range of resorts in North America would fill a great schedule.
    Thoughts anyone?

2. absentskier

absentskier Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

No, no one has ever bought it. You would be the first.

3. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

But in all seriousness, it's a great group of resorts but whether it is worth it for you depends entirely on whether you can design a trip to make it work.

4. Sbooker

Sbooker Active Member

I've done a number of tours utilizing the MCP in the last few years and have another planned for early 2017. It works for my family because we enjoy skiing a few days then having another activity for a few days and then ski again and so on. In previous years we've skied Lake Louise, Whistler, Alta, Snowbird, Sunshine Village, Mammoth and this years trip will take in Aspen, AltaBird, Jackson Hole and Sun Valley. We've already booked accom etc but would have included Telluride that was recently added if we had prior knowledge. We have also taken advantage of the two days at Thredbo and Coronet Peak. This year my family of four will have skied 13 days for less than $800USD. We bought when the kids were one dollar. We will most likely do a MCP road trip in January 2018 that will feature Mammoth, Squaw, Telluride and Taos amongst others.

5. summit_32

summit_32 Active Member

Apparently there is a 'bonus 3rd day' if you buy in spring (assumedly Nth hemisphere spring). Do you know how this works?
    Also, if you buy the MCP in April 2017 - can you ski Thredbo in the same year with the MCP and then the US resorts over the 17/18 seasons? Their website isn't clear on this one

6. summit_32

summit_32 Active Member

That would be an epic trip - but a huge amount of driving? Are you doing the Grand Canyon on the way

7. Sbooker

Sbooker Active Member

^^^^
    We opted for the bonus third day at Aspen. You must nominate where you want the third day when you buy the pass.
    If you buy in early 2017 you can ski the two days at Thredbo that winter and then the other resorts in the northern hemisphere winter.
    We are not doing Grand Canyon this time. We've been there before but we will be doing Yellowstone and Arches National Park this time.
    Don't mind the driving as long as there are things to do to break it up. For example you could - LA to Mammoth for a few days, drive to Vegas for a day or two, then Zion NP, a few days in Altabird, drive to Jackson to ski and see Yellowstone, over to Sun Valley to ski and then fly back to LA. A road trip that takes in SLC, Aspen and Telluride is pretty obvious as they are close. This year Whistler, Revelstoke and Lake Louise/Sunshine is an obvious option. Driving on US major interstates is fast and easy and there's lots to see.

8. summit_32

summit_32 Active Member

^^^^^
    Thanks Sbooker - helpful information. I'm looking at something similar, but a little less driving. We would probably start in LA, then out to GCNP --- Flagstaff -- Telluride -- Durango --- Wolf Creek --- Taos. Not all on the MCP but still good value (with the Thredbo days too).

9. summit_32

summit_32 Active Member

Also, Yellowstone is great - we did a three week Steamboat/Alta/Jackson trip a few years ago and the snowmobiling through Yellowstone was probably the best day of the entire trip.

10. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

I'm in the throws of considering a Jan 2018 trip (being the next big fam o/s trip), which will likely have disney time, and then skiing time.

The decision I need to work out is Mountain Collective Pass, Epic Pass.

The biggest driver is that my wife is a member of a ski lodge at Thredbo, but hopefully by Winter 2018 the kids will have had two more seasons under the their belts, and Perisher would be more of an option, especially since I've never skied Perisher (courtesy of being Victorian and then meeting my missus and having cheap / free access to a lodge / and lift tix at Thredbo - ho hum).

Whilst the MCP resorts grab me more, hello Jackson Hole, if there was a massive difference in price, I'd take one over the other.

Anyway, looking into Jackson Hole resorts I was initially grabbed by the "Kids Ski Free" if you stay in their accommodation.

As I was trying to work out if that included ski school, I shot off an email, and this is what they said:

Which is somewhat different to how it reads on the website. sigh.

11. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Lots of resorts in North America have kids ski free deals. We're staying at Fernie and Red Mountain this Jan and both places offer free skiing for kids when you book accommodation through their central reservations. Also Steamboat offers free kids season passes with every adult season pass. So look around, I'm sure you'll find plenty more.

https://www.steamboat.com/plan-your...spx?_id=AE70E301952840ACA8A4F1E4B48D773F&_z=z

12. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

In 2012 (actually 2011 on an advanced purchase deal) I bought an under 18 season pass for USD212.

It is always worth sniffing around for deals.

13. skichic

skichic Addicted Member

Yeah in 2011 we had Tahoe season passes which covered Heavenly, Northstar and some others. Youngest child USD199, teen child USD299 and I think mine was USD399.

14. Funky

Funky Dedicated Member

Thanks all

15. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

MC and Epic Pass are very different. As you will be aware, the MC gives 2 days per resort plus 50% of daily lift tickets after the 2 days. It's not a "season pass" in the true sense.

MAX Pass is also good and there are some others too.

16. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

We did it a couple of years ago.

It worked great for us as we had a long weekend in thredbo already booked... so the pass had already paid for itself in Thredbo.

We then flew into Denver, drove to Aspen, then Jackson, then Snowbird, then mammoth, then Tahoe...

It was great and I think we are thinking of getting the pass again. Will probably stay more days in less resorts this time.

17. timmyhugecans

timmyhugecans Dedicated Member

yeah I got one this year, worked well for me, got 2 days at Thredbo, 2 in Remakables, 2 in Hakuba and we am goung to get 3 in Jackson, 2 in sun valley, 2aspen and 2snowbird & then 50% off any day after. Its not my usual traveling style but for this year its defiantly paid off for me.

18. sli1

sli1 Dedicated Member

Does anyone know what would happen in the event of travel insurance if you got an injury and wanted to claim part of the value of a Mountain Collective pass. For eg. you got injured, one week into a three week trip?

19. sli1

sli1 Dedicated Member

Looking at the PDS from Amex, given I have paid for the flights and MC pass on their card, it looks like I'm covered. Next question, Is there any mucking around to be aware of when you turn up to your first MC resort to get your pass, Specifically, I would like to avoid a faff fest with getting photos taken, generating a fancy card etc when your one and only powder day of the trip is on the first day!

20. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

How you set up the MCP depends on the resort. You have to set it up separately for each place. There is no such thing as a "MC Pass" that is good at every location.

It does pay to arrive early if you can't get it set up beforehand. Besides, if it's a powder day then you want to arrive really early. ;-)

Often you can't get the MCP set up at just any ticket window. Need to go to a season pass office or sometimes even a special Mountain Collective office. For instance, my friends and I drove to Aspen from SLC one year and pushed to get into an Aspen ticket office just before 5pm. I think we went to Buttermilk because it was easier to reach and park (for free). Got everything done so the next morning we were all set.

Where are you going? I've been to several MCP resorts in the last four years and read about the process at others.

21. sli1

sli1 Dedicated Member

Thanks Marz. Bugger, sounds like potential faffing. Where we will go will depend on the conditions, convenience and personal bias. We have Aust to LAX flights booked and will book a one way flight from LAX to SLC or Albuquerque and that first night's accommodation in the week prior to leaving. An ideal trip where everything worked out perfect for us (they never do) would be Taos, Wolf Creek, Snowbird, Alta, Snow Basin, Powder Mountain and possibly Sun Valley. I realise Wolf Creek and PowMow aren't MC resorts but that is one of the reasons they are attractive - their quiet!

22. Sbooker

Sbooker Active Member

I can't see why that wouldn't be basically doable. The key is not to have super high expectations as far as snow goes and if you get great conditions it's a bonus. The general vibe and scenery will be available at all of the destinations even without perfect conditions. Depending on when you are going you could start north and head south instead of the other way around. Sun Valley has the most extensive snowmaking in the west and Alta/Snowbird is as 'snow sure' as anywhere. Taos would be best left until last to ensure enough time for cover on that largely advanced hill.
    I've never found setting up MC pass to be difficult at all. Normally takes 5 minutes tops.

23. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

Really not that bad. Guest Services is always open well before the lifts start up.

Last season. Taos was setting up the MCP in the Welcome Center, which is at the main base below Lift #1 and near the locker room (downstairs around the corner). Helps to do the waiver online beforehand. It's very picky about matching up all the info to what you put down for the MCP. They had two computers for the waiver in the room but it wasn't obvious that you had to do that first before getting in line for getting the actual pass.

Snowbird seems to have it together for the MCP now. I always set up at Alta when the MCP was a combo Alta/Snowbird pass. Guest Services is in the grey building just below the Wildcat lift (not the same building as the ticket windows) with a big MCP sign. Sun Valley set up was easy. Right inside the posh lodge.

Snowbasin and PowMow are well worth a few days in my opinion. Haven't been lucky with snow conditions yet, but plan to keep going back.

While Sun Valley is fun for a couple days, with all the other places you plan to reach, wouldn't worry if you don't make it there. Unless you really like long groomers, really long. The lodges look like the lodges at Snowbasin. The town is small and has great restaurants. Worth walking around the renovated Sun Valley Lodge.

24. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

Midweek setting up the MCP is usually not an issue. On weekends, it pays to be at the office early. Have been first in line at Alta on days when the line was 10-15 people by the time the first few people were leaving. Especially true on a powder day.

For 2016-17 a few of the resorts were set up for online registration so it was possible to get the actual pass mailed in advanced. But I don't see anything on the MCP website.

Instructions for how to get the MCP set up at the various destinations are on the bottom of the MCP main webpage. Keep scrolling all the way done. By now, should be updated for 2017-18.

25. sli1

sli1 Dedicated Member

Thanks Sbooker and MarzNC. @Sbooker, yes not too fussed on the order being south to North or North to South although a ski week at Taos is the best value instruction ever and its nice to start with that at the start of the trip. If Taos doesn't get a 75inch base we simply won't head down there which would be a shame. Its hard to resist the flakey/hippie New Mexican vibe in Taos town, long days of sunshine and the days that feel like about 6 degrees on the hill but the snow stays nice and dry. @MarzNC, I can picture the buildings you are talking about for both the MC at Taos and Alta. :)

MarzNC likes this.
  26. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

In case someone reading hasn't made up their mind yet about buying the MCP, the price just went up again. $US489 for adults as of 01Oct. That's $70 more than last season, but includes Niseko and Snowbasin, and 2 days each at Alta and Snowbird.

27. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Dont forget you get a 3 day free at your own choice of MC resort...

28. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

That's long gone for 2017-18. Had to pay for the MCP before 01Jul2017 to get the bonus 3rd day at a pre-designated resort.

For parents of younger kids, the real bargain was the $US1 kid MCP in March for each adult MCP at $US399. Both would get the bonus day too. For a family with two adults and two kids 6-12, that could have covered 7 days of skiing around SLC at Alta, Snowbird, and Snowbasin.

29. Sbooker

Sbooker Active Member

Still fantastic value considering th
    That would be me. :) We got our bonus day at Mammoth.
    The six days at SLC hills are fantastic from a value point of view.

MarzNC likes this.
  30. sli1

sli1 Dedicated Member

I purchased two MC passes last Saturday night at $US469 and on Sunday they changed to $US489. When their little chart says their is limited stock remaining, it appears to be true.

MarzNC likes this.
  31. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

I've been tracking the dates when the MCP price changes for a few years. While the pricing and list of destinations keeps evolving, there has been a reasonably consistent pattern for when the price changes. So I don't think it has that much to do with actual numbers. But it is true that when the status bar is getting close to the end, a price change is coming soon.

The last couple years the early Oct price lasted until early Dec. Then the MCP was not available from mid-Dec thru New Years. The last stage was in Jan. The price difference between the lowest cost in March and the last price has been $US120-130. But there is really no guarantee of availability in Jan 2018.

Who knows what will happen for 2018-19 with the new combination of resorts that includes current MCP locations Mammoth/June and Squaw/Alpine. For those who haven't followed the evolution of the MCP, Whistler and Stowe were included for a few years until Vail Corp bought those resorts. The first four resorts in 2012-13 were Aspen/Snomass (actually 4 mountains), Alta, Jackson Hole, and Squaw/Alpine. The prices were $349 Adult and $229 Child and sales ended mid-Nov.

sli1 likes this.
  32. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

Did you get the email was sent out recently with the list of resorts that will be set up for "Pre-Arrival fulfillment"?

The idea is to log in to an MCP account and then go to the “Order History” tab to find the 2017/18 order and click on “Request Your Pass.”

https://store.mountaincollective.com/auth/login

Aspen Snowmass
    Banff Sunshine
    Lake Louise
    Mammoth
    Jackson Hole
    Snowbasin
    Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows
    Sugarbush
    Telluride

Depending on my travel schedule, I have mixed feelings about getting an MCP pass in advance. Becomes one more thing I need to keep track of and remember to pack.

33. Sbooker

Sbooker Active Member

MarzNC
    My wife may have got that email - she is in charge of all admin stuff like that. I'm sure she'll be on it.

34. BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Was chattering with Mrs Boof about this just this morning. We are only going to the one destination but the discount may make it worthwhile. Will run the numbers through the calculator.

35. p2p

p2p Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Of course, when you actually go into the website and try to request your pass, the first thing you see is that advance delivery is only available to residents of US and Canada. Oh well ...

MarzNC likes this.
  36. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

Well, that's silly given that one reason to add Thredbo and the places in Japan was presumably to make the MCP of more interest to folks in Australia and New Zealand.

37. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

Turns out that not everyone got the email. Not quite sure what the difference is between me and my American friends in terms of who got the email and who didn't.

I know that last season the amount of time it took to get a pass varied quite a bit between resorts. Pretty sure the list was a bit shorter.

The list I should look for is the one that shows which resorts allow a link to a credit card so that the MCP pass is direct-to-lift all the time. There were still a few that didn't have that set up last season.

38. MarzNC

MarzNC New Member

If your dates are fixed and the resort makes tickets available on Liftopia, the MCP is less likely to be worth it when buying in Oct. Getting three days and then 50% off the other days when buying at the lowest price in March can make sense when skiing 7+ days at one resort.

BoofHead likes this.
  39. sli1

sli1 Dedicated Member

You might already be all over this but in your calcs (and depending on your destination) just make sure you compare the the MC purchase against the fact you can often get discount tickets at your destination. For eg. Its easy to get discounts off lift tickets for SLC resorts at REI or other sports stores while 50% off prices with the MC pass are based on the f ull window price of tickets. When I did the calcs last season based on buying an MC pass in Jan, I didn't reach break even in spend between the two scenarios until about day 11. Given the one option involved a large up front payment vs pay as you go (and we have history of visiting OS hospitals (and screwing up payed in advance stuff), I skipped the on MC pass.

#39 sli1, Oct 15, 2017 at 12:23 AM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017 at 10:36 PM
    BoofHead likes this.
  40. greensnow

greensnow Active Member

This is what has always put me off:
    • 50% off all additional days at The Collective destinations
      (*applies only to specific single day lift tickets for pass holder, see FAQs for more information/or contact our support team)
    Buying a regular 5 day pass vs x5 single days at 50% off is probably about the same price anyway?