Mountain Tours

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Mr. Mook, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook One of Us

Funky likes this.
  2. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Ive been touring since I was a kid, so not for me, however a very good friend is one of the guides, and I recently met two of the others. I have no doubt that they will a)show you a good time, and b)teach you some stuff. Many will scoff the tours (to experienced backcountry goers they sound a bit lame), but if you have not done any, its a great way to get into it, and a good guide will make an experience of it that is well worth the fee IMO.

My friend is Jen Milton, I know people have enjoyed her work over the last couple of seasons with K7. I say go for it.

zac150 likes this.
  3. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Shit, sorry, wrong tour! Haha!

the mountain host things can be pretty fun, I have done a couple just because!

SMSkier, db2567 and LaNeige like this.
  4. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

Worth a mention anyway, I've had a few people ask about back country this year.

sastrugi and telecrag like this.
  5. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

@telecrag is an awesome mountain host, pretty decent side country guide as well! Best thing is he accepts payment in beer .

telecrag, crackson and skifree like this.
  6. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

I heard he's also happy to accept payment in the form of a ride from ACT at the moment also.

7. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Just don’t let him drive, he has a deep rooted hatred for kangaroos and keeps trying to kill them with his car. Keeps forgetting he doesn’t have a bullbar

telecrag and LaNeige like this.
  8. Funky

Funky One of Us

Yes. I did one last year, and know the mountain fairly well.

The manager of the lodge we stay in does them, and he is a friendly guy.

Worth it for an hour or two. Will depend on who else turns up and it is a good way to meet other people. As you need to be intermediate or above, you may find some new ski buddies along the way.

The day we did it was my Wife and I and two other people. Last week of July.

LaNeige and telecrag like this.
  9. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Awe shucks. I like to try and pass it on a bit, the local crew picked me up pretty quick when I became a resort skier (after over 30 years in the bc thinking I knew how to ski), like first day actually. Ive had ten years now skiing with so many different people, all with so much knowledge of run variations, side country etc. Its all about the joy, and its really fun to share with any that have the joy.

Funky, Onlybackscratchers and LaNeige like this.
  10. zac150

zac150 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Pretty sure we had this same conversation albeit over a beer last year. It’s what makes the Thredbo side country community so good,

Funky, telecrag and LaNeige like this.
  11. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

We did one of these when we were down there mid-August. I know my way around Thredbo reasonably well, but nonetheless I learned a bit about Cannonball and Michael's Mistake, so just for that it was worth spending the time. Our group of about 8 were all at a similar level and the guide (whose name I forget) was great.

I'd recommend these tours highly.