Mountaintop dam to lock-in future of skiing at Mount Buller

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by Hunter, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Victoria's busiest snow resort says its long-term future has been secured ... Mountaintop dam to lock-in future of skiing at Mt Buller. the Andrews government's $103 million regional tourism infrastructure fund.

the age

Victoria’s busiest snow resort, Mt Buller, says its long-term future has been secured after it received a $7.5 million grant to build a 100-megalitre dam on the mountaintop.

The resort plans to use the dam for snowmaking, drinking water and firefighting and says it is critical to its plans to remain in business as climate change makes natural snowfall increasingly unpredictable.

The 100-megalitre water storage site has the capacity of 40 Olympic swimming pools and will double the resort’s snowmaking capacity.

[​IMG]
    The project still requires planning approval from the federal government, which is assessing its impact on several vulnerable species including the mountain pygmy possum, the smoky mouse, blue-tongued orchid and alpine tree frog.

The federal environment department has already said the water storage project is to have a minimum 200-metre buffer from mountain pygmy possum habitat and avoid all impact on alpine bogs.

A contract to complete detailed design and construction will be tendered later this year, Mt Buller said.

The water storage facility is expected to be built during the 2019-2020 summer and provide water for Mt Buller from the 2020–2021 summer.

“An adequate supply of water is critical for Buller to grow during summer and will double the amount of storage for snowmaking during winter," Mt Buller and Mt Stirling Resorts chief executive Mark Bennetts said.

Mt Buller already has chronic water shortages and has run out of water for snowmaking purposes in four of the past five snow seasons.

To replenish supplies it has regularly been forced to breach the conditions of its water extraction licence and draw water from Boggy Creek in summer, placing environmental stress on other rivers in Victoria’s high country.

The planned dam will also provide water for summer visitors, whose numbers have been growing by 16 per cent a year.

The dam will give Mt Buller greater firefighting capacity, including a place for firefighting helicopters to fill up.

Buller Ski Lifts general manager Laurie Blampied said the grant meant the company could now confidently plan to make more snow across more areas in the resort.

“We’ve wanted to grow our snowmaking areas so skiers and boarders can enjoy a more reliable cover on more ski runs,” Mr Blampied said.

The $7.5 million grant comes from the Andrews government’s $103 million regional tourism infrastructure fund.

Tourism Minister John Eren said the project would be a game-changer for Victoria’s alpine resorts, which received a record 941,000 visits in the 2017 snow season.

The water storage facility is expected to be built during the 2019-2020 summer and provide water for Mt Buller from the 2020–2021 summer.

#1 Hunter, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

3. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Great news Hunter. Just need the Feds on board.

... Have lost track of the years this dam has been planned/discussed. One of the most awaited projects in the ski sector. Perhaps #1?

4. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

Yes this is going to be very important for Buller a game changer as far as snowmaking expansion and the securing of more terrain each season.
    Think of the benefits if they could now cover summit slide with snowmaking for instance.........

5. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Agree, SS (Grimus) with snowmaking would be a game changer for Buller. Helps spread the crowds and gives a longish solid/blue black from a single chair ride - unlike the South Side of summit.

And on icy days often provides softer snow than the south side - as the sun rises.

6. Hunter

Ski Pass - Gold

Yes top to bottom automated state of the art snowmaking combined with a new 6 seat detachable chair with a carpet load is my wish list please !

This would completely change the day skiing / horsehill / SS to summit access for the resort
    Would realign the day tripper side of the business in a big way
    Might even get Spurs firing again !!!!

7. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here
    Ski Pass - Gold

8. teckel

teckel Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Noticed that. Thought it rather odd that they'd publicly admit to breaking the law without any need to admit it, unless they were sprung.

9. mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Forgiveness v permission?

:whistle:

10. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

RMB CEO spoke about it recently. They had a passing comment in an email from GV Water that they took to be permission - when the new guy took over from the old mob he found that a little uncomfortable and sought to rectify it properly.

teckel and mx_boarder like this.
  11. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Shit, that lack of accountability. If we did something like that in the Department where I work the figurative heads would be rolling. However it appears to have been a bit of an open secret for a while.

CarveMan likes this.
  12. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Vermillion likes this.
  13. Madski

Madski Hard Yards

Well i guess his head did roll in a very public way.

14. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

15. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yep, for holidays and free accommodation apparently? Correct me if I'm wrong

16. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yes that's what the Ombudsman's report is about.

17. Dave Clark

Dave Clark Hard Yards

Snowmaking on Wood Run baby yeah. I'm basically seeing this as the State Gov contributing $7.5m for Victoria to secure the rights to FreeBOM for the next 30 years. Should really come out of the major events budget but either way...

travelislife and CarveMan like this.
  18. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Clean up in aisle 3...... :out:

19. Nude twister

Nude twister Hard Yards

20. Nude twister

Nude twister Hard Yards

There is no doubt increasing the snowmaking capacity is a good thing, but there is far too much spin around what it's really for.
    It's not needed to supply potable water for either winter or summer, the current dam at burnt hut could be upgraded for peanuts.
    The excuse for summer firefighting and summer supply is a furphy, the existing dams have been fine over summer for decades.
    It is being built for snowmaking fullstop,
    The cost will almost certainly be double of the projected costings in dollar value, the cost to the environment will be heavy.
    Increasing snowmaking will please the vested interests on Buller those with Lodges and car passes, those with hotels and ski Hire. Unfortunately the people downstream of Buller on the Delatite are paying double for season passes and are going to have to put up with raw sewerage continuing to pour into the river after heavy rain.The infrastructure cannot sustain much more development it's not able to at present .
    Reality ! It unfortunately will bite if attention is not paid to the bleeding obvious, successive boards have been asleep at the wheel for years , it seems the Government and the Minister have been conned again .
    Some honesty would go along way on Buller but I won't hold my breath waiting.

21. LiveToSki

LiveToSki One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

So (excuse my ignorance and I am not trying to be a smart ***) but what happens here? I assume you are saying the sewer is too small? How is a bigger dam going to effect this?

22. Equus

Equus Hard Yards

As in made bigger?
    But wouldn't that STILL effect the raw sewerage element?
    Thanks
    Like LTS I'm NOT Trying To be Smart Hind End but this sort of thing interests me....

23. djam

djam One of Us

The current Dam leaks, a lot, 3 litres a second I think from memory and is too small for the potable water supply, it has only kept up because water has been taken form the river for all 12 months, not the 4 it should be, then last from Oct 31 to Jul 01 the following year. Once the new Dam is completed, the old dam goes. As far as upgraded for peanuts, what figure do you have on that, because the numbers I have to stop the leaking is far from peanuts.

Most water for snow making, runs back down the hill, into the same river it was taken from, so it will have little effect to the people downstream.

The sewage plant output is on the opposite side of the mountain, so there is no cross over between the two rivers. The sewage issue has had over $500k, earlier this year, spent on repairs and will continue to have money spent on it, until it is fixed. The main issue is when there is a huge rain fall, and the rain water enters the sewage system, increasing the flow rate faster then it can process it, as I said, this is being addressed.

24. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

The wastewater treatment plant system design is not really suited to large amounts of inflow in a short period of time. As the aerobic and anaerobic process takes place in the same area (switching tank) you cant just 'speed it up' and move it faster through the system. But I guess you cant put in another tank or a more traditional system with the limited space they have up there.