Advice needed Mounting snowboards to drywall

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
And this is what the wall looked like before the plasterboard/drywall/gyprock was installed
CA597B63-6EF8-4DAF-B006-88221359372D.jpeg

Reactions: skifree and piolet

hipo

One off
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2011
here and there
Hi, it's me again, someone who has finally learned the meaning of "measure twice, cut once".

I have some 20mm thick and 800m long wood, but from googling and using my shitty stud finder my studs appear to be 450mm apart. At first I thought I could just attach the wood to two studs (like the bottom red bit of wood in figure B) but then realised the screw would probably scratch my boards (unless it was countersunk which seems beyond my skill level since I don't have a countersink drill bit?).

So I either need to:

(A) Attach the wood (red) to a single stud (blue) in the centre - will the shear force be too much for this?

(B) Attach the wood to a noggin (blue) - are they load bearing like studs?

(C) Get some longer wood

Thoughts?

Snowboard rack.jpg
Use a longer piecs of wood........you know you will be hanging skis there as well
:)

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I reckon I can use a bigger regular drill bit to create a countersunk hole, right? How hard can it be LOL
That is the solution. Measure the flat end of the bit against the screw head and drill a hole deeper than the screw head. Doesn't matter if the screw ends up a few extra mm below the surface of the wood. It's almost 9am, the time that works are meant to not start before on weekend days under EPA regs but if you are looking to emulate the tradies who work on houses in my street, you should already be making enough noise to wake up the neighbours way before any official start time. If you have a spirit level, use that to get the boards level on the wall. A shot glass full of an early morning heart-starter can substitute for a level.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Hi, it's me again, someone who has finally learned the meaning of "measure twice, cut once".

I have some 20mm thick and 800m long wood, but from googling and using my shitty stud finder my studs appear to be 450mm apart. At first I thought I could just attach the wood to two studs (like the bottom red bit of wood in figure B) but then realised the screw would probably scratch my boards (unless it was countersunk which seems beyond my skill level since I don't have a countersink drill bit?).

So I either need to:

(A) Attach the wood (red) to a single stud (blue) in the centre - will the shear force be too much for this?

(C) Get some longer wood

Thoughts?

Snowboard rack.jpg
Pic B used two studs, that will be more than strong enough for your purpose. Try to use screws that go at least 20mm into the stuck, which means plus 10mm for the plasterboard. If necessary, drill your countersunk holes deeper to get enough screw into the studs. Or use more screws.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com

So I either need to:

(C) Get some longer wood

Thoughts?

Snowboard rack.jpg
get some longer wood and at the same time buy a counter sinking bit.

You can counter sink with an ordinary drill bit. Easier if you can control the depth

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
Pic B used two studs, that will be more than strong enough for your purpose. Try to use screws that go at least 20mm into the stuck, which means plus 10mm for the plasterboard. If necessary, drill your countersunk holes deeper to get enough screw into the studs. Or use more screws.
Yes this is what I did - 40mm long screws, but I did the counterbore quite deep so there should be at least 20mm into the stud, if not more. And I did two screws per stud.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Lucky the noggins lines up with the binding mounting holes. My retired board wall

FB68F753-F5B7-492B-9188-4FE00A3B2F00.jpeg
I cannot imagine our house having a retired ski wall. Thankfully most went to water ramp, which killed them when they were lost or snapped. But there are still lots, probably 10 pairs of in use skis spread around the house and garage and another 20 dead sets spread around the garden. Plus .... in Japan.

Reactions: Ultra2.0

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Rip all the dry wall off & replace with snowboards. Screw straight to studs with roofing screws, these come in a variety of colours so buy a bunch of different ones to match the colour on the board.

Silicon between the boards to seal up the gaps.

Perisher pub ski rack at 1300 if you need more lining, sorry snowboards.

Interruptedbyfireworks

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2018
Queanbeyan, NSW
And you did of course make a texta line on the floor at each stud so you could locate them simply later.
Technically I wasn’t allowed to be on site when I took that photo shhhh so nope I didn’t do that haha. But I’m glad I did take the photos as it is reassuring to know where the power cables are! (Even though I always turn the power off anyway)

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass