Trip Report Mr. T. tries XC skis at Lake Mtn.11.9.17

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by Mister Tee on snow shoes, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

I went and tried XC skiing today , for the second time ever, this time at Lake Mountain.
    I have a very sore bum cheek from repeatedly falling over on my left ' bum brake' during the XC ski lesson. After lunch I went out of the Lake Mtn. ski village to plod along to Helicopter flat and back on skis.It was raining and the surface was very soft indeed. I could glide up hill,do a herringbone ascent, glide on the flat and do a semi competent snow plough for slowing and stopping while hardly sliding downhill
    at all.

I fell over only once during my solo ski.
    I did find turning and slowing down on a slightly downhill bend on the way back to be tricky and I took the skis off for that bit.
    Teckel at Narbethong Mystic mountains ski hire gave me a discount on ski hire and she sold me the one hour group lesson for $30 not $45 as they charge on the mtn.
    When I got there there was no group and I got a one on one one hour lesson .Because it was very quiet the ski instructor gave me extra time .

He accompanied me back to the Village at the end of the lesson rather than leaving me to try to ski back as like what happened last year at Falls Creek.
    The pattern based Classic XC skis I rented from Teckel at Narbethong didn't have much grip( I don't have much ski technique or knowledge about these things, (I suspect there is some rivalry between different purveyors of brands of ski hire equipment ) but when I went to the ski hire shop at Lake Mtn. they gave a me pair for nothing to use for my after lesson / post lunch solo practise ski , because they know me as "Mr. T. on snow snoes" on SKI DOT COM. So did the person I spoke to at the trail head ,fellow forum member Chris Cross.
    I left my snow shoes in the car for the whole day !
    I could see myself doing all that again at Lake Mtn. another day.I have one film photo of me on skis. There are no action shots of me falling over.
    I may have been critical of Lake Mtn. in the past but I am more of a fan of it now that I see that it offers easy day trip access to improve one's XC ski skills.

neilmny, BillyKidd, GS and 7 others like this.
  2. Chaeron

Chaeron Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

@Mister Tee on snow shoes, given your snowshoeing which gives you access to terrain beyond groomed trails be sure to try patterned base Back country skis. Next time you're at Falls hire them at Windy Corner - reasonable rates.

neilmny likes this.
  3. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I was using classic XC patterned base skis with the free heel. That is what I seek to become able to do , ski the Back country.

skifree, Snowy Joey and Chaeron like this.
  4. Mister Tee on snow shoes

The best rump stopping /bum break approach is falling to the side rather than between your skis on your crack / coccyx ( ooooooow!). That is my take on the beginners' world of XC skiing. I tried the latter as the instructor suggested and nearly did myself a permanent mischief. Getting up is easier if you crouch down ,prepare to bail out and fall on your rump on one side.

5. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

I am certainly no expert skier or have expert knowledge about skis but given your bushwalking snowshoeing experience I think I can understand what you want to do. There's lots of terminology which can be a bit confusing. Cross Country is not Back Coutnry. I think Chearon is pointing you in the right direction and is quite experienced (just have a look at the latest trip report). If you want to get off the groomed tracks and into some varied terrain then you may do better with a wider patterned ski, particularly if you are carrying some weight on your back. Fischer s bounds are another good ski for this. All free heel. With a kicker skin you would not need to herringbone up hill and most hills you would not need skins at all but the odd herringbone will help you over a hump. Some people hate pattern bases because it affects the glide. That is really not a problem for you. What you are learning now will apply later regardless. If you are going to bail out, fall on the up hill side if there is one. Makes getting up easier.

Snowy Joey, prcoy and Chaeron like this.
  6. neilmny

neilmny Active Member

Well done Mr Tee. See if you can find some youtubes on how to as it should make more sense to you now.
    I'm guessing you were on skinny classic skis which are a lot harder to turn etc. Metal edged and shaped back country skis are a lot easier to work with. Glad your bailing out on your butt and not your knees as it does them no good at all.
    Someone once said to me if your not falling your not trying :thumbs:

#6 neilmny, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  7. Ralph_Plow

Ralph_Plow Dedicated Member

Pity the fool....

Bertie Egg and dibl0c like this.
  8. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

I did not fall once on the last trip so I guess I was not trying. Usually I try very hard. This season I set a goal to master falling. I think I have successfully achieved my goal and consider myself an expert at that. Time to move on. I have not done any skiing on a groomed track to date and fortunately the snow has been nice and soft.

9. neilmny

neilmny Active Member

It's really a tongue in cheek thing Xplora. More the point directed to a beginner (Mr. Tee) that falling doesn't make you look bad, everyone does it and some more often than others. So don't let falling stop you.

10. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

I understood where you were going Neil. I think elsewhere I mentioned he should embrace the fall. I was lambasting myself about how bad a skier I am but still persisting. I am and expert faller though. Fortunately few see my face plants but I would agree you can't let that stop you. There was a point I just thought I was too old to start doing this and I would never get the hang of it then things got better. Once the fall (or bale out) is mastered and you are past that fear or embarrassment you then can move on to embracing the glide and speed, assuming some skills pertaining to turn and stop have been acquired.

11. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

At last !!

You have just learnt and mastered about 60% of all the skills you will ever require on skis.Your progress will now go exponentially from this time.

Excellent results.....

12. Mister Tee on snow shoes

If I don't get out there again on skis this season due to time and money constraints then it is well and truly on the agenda for next season to do at least 3 day trips on rental XC ski gear with a lesson each time and get the basics sorted out . I don't plan to attempt an over nighter with a pack until white season 2019 . I would like to go out to Cope hut or Edmondson's hut on skis with an overnight pack.
    So the wheels are turning. I am still going out on snow shoes for the Spring Mt. Bogong trip at the end of this month and the Mid October Main Range trip 2017 from Charlotte Pass.
    I am still sore from falling over and using muscles I never thought I had before in order to do the snow plough. So I ask everyone to allow me to recover but I am over the worst of it in terms of fear of falling and fear of sliding away from the chains of gravity /stability etc. and may have found another expensive outdoor hobby :-0 that interests me .

skifree and neilmny like this.
  13. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I need further lessons and experience in turning( I can't do turns , yet) and to learn more about stopping .I am quite comfortable plodding along on the flat and going uphill.

14. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I am The Master at falling over, you , grasshopper can learn more about falling over from me. The rest will come in time.

15. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I did manage to descend a small downhill bend and turn and stop without crashing yesterday. :)It is a 50 % crash rate at present:confused: .The pattern base skis make a novel sound when you are snow ploughing on a declivity.

Fozzie Bear and skifree like this.
  16. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Well you must be up to the required AAA S standard now ....nothing to worry about with any of the Land Managers.
    Up to the Camp and start bombing the hill.....next to Mt St Gwinear and descending from the top.....just putting a few more layers of clothes on should you require a radicle stopping manoeuvre ......controlled crash ...definately needs to be on any list pushed by AAA S.

We need you to get a go pro .....and submit video footsge.....

17. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Steve, I will get a " go pro" video device if you get a spell checker!o_O;)

18. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

But we got too keep Charlie productive....he will be at a lose(loose ?) end if I stop posting.