Mt Baw Baw 2012 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra
Did anybody make the trip today to Baw Baw for the Ski Season opener? If so what are conditions like up there?

priderock

Hard Yards
Aug 11, 2010
Re: Reports from Baw Baw?

Hi Strider
Just got back from a trip up and back to Baw Baw for opening. It rained on and off most of the day so was slushy around the bowl and roads. Tank ran until about 2.00 then closed for a bit of grooming - I tip to get a few people on tomorrow. Few boarders still with energy were walking part way up Hutt to keep going.
Was busy around the resort so a good news day apart from the r**n.

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra

Cheers for that, Priderock. I'm heading up tomorrow morning and was wondering what to expect. The snow cams at BB have been a bit hazy lately with updating. I'll be skiing up to the summit and checking out how much mush/snow is about.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

priderock said:
Hi Strider
Just got back from a trip up and back to Baw Baw for opening. It rained on and off most of the day so was slushy around the bowl and roads. Tank ran until about 2.00 then closed for a bit of grooming - I tip to get a few people on tomorrow. Few boarders still with energy were walking part way up Hutt to keep going.
Was busy around the resort so a good news day apart from the r**n.

Thanks for the report - sounds/looks very marginal for a ski tomorrow - maybe a chance to just to push the kids around & introduce to snow?

That said there's been a lack of forum comments about conditions this w/e not sure if it means everyone is too busy having fun or what?

Now if it had only been 1 degree cooler yesterday....? <SIGH>

Last edited by a moderator:

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

Yeah was a bit busy over the weekend... ok, maybe I just couldn't get internet to work, but anyway!

As mentioned by priderock Saturday was awfully wet and drizzly, a perfect opportunity to try out some of my new ski clothing, which worked a treat. Had a couple of runs on Tank Hill, which had a nice cover but given the enormous lift line, it just didn't seem worth the wait for each run.

As of today they were still running Tank Hill, Champagne was looking patchy, and apparently the top of Summit is looking very good. Doesn't look as if we'll get any decent snow for the next two weeks, so it will be a long wait before the season really gets going.

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra

Thanks all for the reports! Finally made it up to BB today to kick off the season. Very sketchy snow coverage on the xc trails. Made it up to the summit via the trail negotiating ice, slush, rock and grass. Once up there the first 100 metres had the best coverage, with a few patches in places. After that it was difficult to find a continous stretch of white enough for a few turns.

I didn't get much of a chance to try any other runs, however I may be heading up again on Tues with a mate to enjoy whatever is left (if anything?
frown.gif
). Bring on the next system!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Just back from BBaw,
Doing basic skiing around bowl, tank hill (free this w/e) and scratchy xc run up & down the summit.
Needless to say while the cover is pretty thin in most places ~ 10cm - it's also pretty firm (esp higher up) and I could see a decent follow up fall setting the mtn up for a reasonably good start for school holidays (washouts excluded).

I had a chat to staff about the snowmaking - they said they were close to activating the guns last - minimum was -2C and much of the night was < -1.5. What concerns me (for the resort) is that it rarely gets much below -2, so with thinking like this we'd probably only see the guns fire four or five times a winter, which makes me think why bother?

Be interested to know what the regulars think - maybe that's just the realities of being just above the snowline and only 50km or so from a warm bay.

Still a great day overall - love the Bawbs!

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

The problem with Baw Baw is that it will remain cloudy and drizzly with the incoming high, whereas the other resorts clear relatively quickly.

In terms of snowmaking Baw Baw is usually either too warm or too humid, thanks to its relatively low altitude and southerly aspect. From what I've heard a reasonable drop in dew point is required for snowmaking, usually one or two degrees at least, since the evaporation is what causes the snow to form nicely. I've heard of cases where the temperature was about 2 degrees, but snowmaking was still possible since the dew point was about -20! What that means for Baw Baw is that snowmaking is rarely possible given the dew point is equal to the actual temperature about 70% of the time.

Rarely, if at all, have I seen any significant addition to snow cover through snowmaking at Baw Baw.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne

ice_man said:
The problem with Baw Baw is that it will remain cloudy and drizzly with the incoming high, whereas the other resorts clear relatively quickly.

In terms of snowmaking Baw Baw is usually either too warm or too humid, thanks to its relatively low altitude and southerly aspect. From what I've heard a reasonable drop in dew point is required for snowmaking, usually one or two degrees at least, since the evaporation is what causes the snow to form nicely. I've heard of cases where the temperature was about 2 degrees, but snowmaking was still possible since the dew point was about -20! What that means for Baw Baw is that snowmaking is rarely possible given the dew point is equal to the actual temperature about 70% of the time.

Rarely, if at all, have I seen any significant addition to snow cover through snowmaking at Baw Baw.

Hi Iceman. While I agree that BB doesn't have much scope for worthwhile snowmaking due to the factors that you have outlined, I recall that 2006 was a particularly poor year at BB (I think it was not so good at any of the resorts that winter). I remember a trip my daughter and I did on the 12th of August of that year and I'm pretty sure that it was the snowmaking that made any skiing at all, possible. The pic is Tank Hill on that day and you can see that to the right of the towline there is virtually no snow and in the trees at the top left of the pic, its just bare ground. maybe they had colder and drier nights that winter.
The quality of the print is not so good! I could not find the original on my computer (or on the kids computers) so I had to resort to scanning a print! Sorry about that.

06BBsnow.jpg

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

Oldie said:
ice_man said:

Hi Iceman. While I agree that BB doesn't have much scope for worthwhile snowmaking due to the factors that you have outlined, I recall that 2006 was a particularly poor year at BB (I think it was not so good at any of the resorts that winter). I remember a trip my daughter and I did on the 12th of August of that year and I'm pretty sure that it was the snowmaking that made any skiing at all, possible. The pic is Tank Hill on that day and you can see that to the right of the towline there is virtually no snow and in the trees at the top left of the pic, its just bare ground. maybe they had colder and drier nights that winter.
The quality of the print is not so good! I could not find the original on my computer (or on the kids computers) so I had to resort to scanning a print! Sorry about that.

06BBsnow.jpg

Cheers for that Oldie... you need to remember I'm really young and first started skiing in 2007. (in fact, I waited all through the terrible season of 2006 for snow to start falling, in vain!) The point I was trying to make is that any addition to snow cover is usually only of the order of a few cms. I guess in 2006 conditions were ideal much more often, and they were able to get a run open on man-made snow.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

Well i went up on the weekend with the kids and stayed at kellys (thanks!) and had a great time except for dropping the fan belts and cooking my engine on the SE freeway at 9pm last night! My small kids who have grown up skiing at hotham really do love the little mountain for its friendlier runs, atmosphere and little village draining to a centre point.

The toboggan run was a bit crazy yesterday and i would be keen to see the patrollers / RMB manage this more closely, as there were more people on here doing risk-taking than the rest of the mountain. Maybe its 'un-controlled' from a patrol perspective, dunno? Interested in this one.

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

oh yeah, about 20--30cms everywhere. Not enough cover on maltese or painted but the rest pretty good. Will need another fall in the next couple of weeks.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Headed up to Gwinear today. Only my car in the car park and no-one from Parks Vic (there used to be someone there, I thought). Walked up the trail about 150m. before putting on skis, fair to good cover from the little bridge. No view at the viewpoint, but no r**n either. Reached the summit in about an hour, windy up there but good cover on the trail down to Gwinear Flat (bowl,whatever). I continued on and ate lunch at the rock shelter/AWT junction. The wind was really coming on so I changed my plan re: dropping into Tullicouty for some turns. Good move. Visibility was seriously diminished and it started r**ning as I returned via the yellow temp trail (Cascades).The snow below the summit was deep enough (20 cm) to pull a few turns off trail but conditions were conspiring against me and by the time I got back to the lonely car, I was satched. So much for Vic. bom calling "...snow above 1400 m". The main trail was noticeably deteriorating as I came down and I carried skis 500 m. Still, I always enjoy the 'serenity' of a trip to Gwinear. First one this year.

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

Thanks for the trip reports guys. Cams don't look too crash hot this evening, so about time for another dump. This weekend is looking good for a reasonable dump.

Hymie

First Runs
May 2, 2008

I took a group up yesterday and told 1 of my passengers that had an Aldi Toboggan that he wouldn't be allowed to use it based on last year and opening weekend where they were pretty well policed off the runs. I was a trifle embarrassed when he used it all day without getting asked to take it off the Toboggan run.
A bit of consistency would be nice.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria

chriscross said:
Headed up to Gwinear today. Only my car in the car park and no-one from Parks Vic (there used to be someone there, I thought). Walked up the trail about 150m. before putting on skis, fair to good cover from the little bridge. No view at the viewpoint, but no r**n either. Reached the summit in about an hour, windy up there but good cover on the trail down to Gwinear Flat (bowl,whatever). I continued on and ate lunch at the rock shelter/AWT junction. The wind was really coming on so I changed my plan re: dropping into Tullicouty for some turns. Good move. Visibility was seriously diminished and it started r**ning as I returned via the yellow temp trail (Cascades).The snow below the summit was deep enough (20 cm) to pull a few turns off trail but conditions were conspiring against me and by the time I got back to the lonely car, I was satched. So much for Vic. bom calling "...snow above 1400 m". The main trail was noticeably deteriorating as I came down and I carried skis 500 m. Still, I always enjoy the 'serenity' of a trip to Gwinear. First one this year.

Thanks for the report CC, I had a look at the Gwinear facebook page for info but I just find FB completely confusing, can't work what's going on there. One thing they did say was that Parks Vic has cut funding so less staff on site. I was thinking about heading up next Saturday but will depend on weather, today was noticeably mild in Melbourne. It's so quiet at work I could probably head up any time mid week. It must have been a bit depressing, or OTH very calming, being up there by yourself today. Got some new skis to try out but don't want to Christen them on less than perfect snow!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

So ,weerab, which skis did you buy? I would not go up to St. Gwinear with them until it snows again, but Saturday weather looks like it could be a bit harsh. I enjoy going out there by myself these days, it's just the back of your mind security question, if I did fall down and break my leg or hit my head, when would they find me? Then again , I visited an old aunt in a care situation on Friday, so I say to my wife and daughter, if I fall down on a long run or don't make it back from a ski trip, well, I'm happier that way.
I'm off to LM, then Stirling, then Buller, so hope weather is clear and snow is suitable. Perhaps we can catch up in the hills somewhere this year. I gathered you enjoyed an interlude at FC last year. I am there for Hoppet week, Aug 19-26. Catch you some time. Enjoy those new skis.

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland

Hey, chriscross and weerab, you sound like XC experts. I'm all downhill, but would like to do some XC, where do I start ? I get confused about all the different skis, bindings, boots etc. Is there somewhere a novice like me can go to get good advice, buy a beginner setup and not get ripped off ? Could even go secondhand. I love snow shoeing and hiking on the trails at BB and SG, but its time to take the next step.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

Chriscross, the skis are Fischer S Bound 112 from EMC fitted with S/H Switchback bindings I picked up from Ski Com classifieds. Actually bought the bindings first and didn't want to put them on my old Fischer Rebounds. Had a great week at FC last year staying at Feathertop lodge and met up with a couple of "older" downhillers. They are going up again first week in August but I can't get time off that week.

Serenity, I've been skiing a long time but am no expert, I was using old leather boots until last year. Take Teckels advice and visit a ski shop. Probably better to hire at first to see if you like it but if you want to buy, look at EMC, Ajays, Bogong or Wilderness shops, they'll give good advice. You can also pick up second hand gear at a good price on this forum. Also, search this forum, there's a few gear threads. For Baw Baw and Gwinear you would at least want metal skis and decent boots not necessarily plastic.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Serenity, teckel's advice is always good and weerab has experience. You need to decide if you want to mainly ski groomed xc trails, which you will find at LM and FC, or lumpier snow in more remote places like Gwinear or Stirling. Teckel's shop in Narbethong has a range of "skinny" skis good for going fast (or slow) on groomed trails. Good fun. EMC and Ajays have a wider range of gear, like weerab's S-bounds, for touring and playing out the back a bit further. Stiling has some good gear, too. Check them out sometime.

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland

Thanks guys, I think I will go to a couple of shops and talk to the staff, gather some info, and maybe hire some different types and compare. As I said, I am a total beginner and the one time I did try it at BB I went with someone who went hell for leather, so I didn't have a quiet opportunity to get a proper feel, will let you all know how things go !

FastFarmer

Hard Yards
May 26, 2012

Its been extremly cold at Baw Baw this week with some mornings nearly reaching -7. It's currently -3.8 and according to the BOM heading towards -7 overnight. So has Baw Baw fired up the snow makers or are they counting pennies or sleeping in again??

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

If you are a downhill skier you might be happier with heavier gear but it all depends what style you want to do. I can recommend Doug at EMC in Deepdene (don't know where you are)as a veritable font of knowledge in all aspects of skiing. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the 'Serenity' of XC skiing as that is what it is all about!

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne

FastFarmer said:
Its been extremly cold at Baw Baw this week with some mornings nearly reaching -7. It's currently -3.8 and according to the BOM heading towards -7 overnight. So has Baw Baw fired up the snow makers or are they counting pennies or sleeping in again??

This mornings snow report has the natural depth as 21cm and the snow making depth at 45cm, so I suspect that they have been firing the snow making guns

toddles

Hard Yards
Apr 3, 2003
FTG

Hah! The towie operating the lift in that photo of tank hill is me! I remember that season. Worst season on record for baw baw. That was the year the plane crashed up near Gwinear also. Shocker of a year.

Rocky_B

First Runs
Jul 12, 2011

Hi Guys,

I took 2 kids up to Baw Baw yesterday and spent a lot of time on the toboggan run. The staff were right onto the Aldi toboggan's they made quite a lot of people take their Aldi toboggan's back to their car.

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

Finally got up to Baw Baw today for a day trip, using the overnight snow falls. There was clearly some rain mixed in with the snow as the cover, while fresh, was quite heavy and damp, and by no means dry. That said, the morning was fantastic as there was almost no lift queues (it's the school holidays... what's going on?), as well as fresh, if heavy, tracks everywhere. Summit wasn't open until about 10am due to de-icing work, which is what I'll assume kept Maltese Cross closed until about 11am. All areas open had a very good cover with almost no patches anywhere. Snow report claims 20cm, but there was easily much more higher up. (the snow gauge next to Summit lift was showing 30cm - clearly they no longer use it in their snow reports) Painted was closed, as was Maltese Cross run (both need a good 50 or 60 centimetres before they end up opening in any given year).

Afternoon went a bit pear shaped, where pretty much every type of precipitation between rain and snow fell at some stage, heavily at times. While mid afternoon saw a slight gain of about 1 or 2 cm, by the time we left it had tended to very heavy rain. However, the snow on the road that we encountered on the way up had not melted significantly by the time we left. It appears as if the rain is causing slushy conditions, but not too much actual melt.

By that observation the rest of the week should be looking great. There will be some great days in store once the weather clears.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Cheers IM - mm not quite the fabulous snow day I would have envisaged given the light snow falling to 900m as we left the mtn around 3 yesterday.

Even more so than Buller, Bawbs has that wonderful capacity to rain OR snowheavily with temps just above/ just below zero c - one never really predict the outcome, just have to risk it suck it & see.

I assume another pm/night ~ -2c with no snowmaking? (humidity again?)

Mm needing > 50 cm on Maltese or painted runs - is it just a matter of more rock grooming then? Something perhaps to bring up at the ARCC workshop this Thursday?

Glad you had a good day overall if somewhat soggy. Hard to have a bad one on snow!

I wonder (thing planning workshop again) if many people are going XC given the $12 day trail fee. One would want fairly regular trail grooming / summer maintenance to charge a fee or risk scaring people to MSG?

SuskiQ

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 16, 1999
Mostly Australia

Hi snowgum

Maltese and Painted both have Rocks... BIG granite rocks (talking dynamite not dozer
wink.gif
to clear those! ) It would be more feasible to put another 30cm of soil and vegetation on top of the rocks than remove them (hmmmm... there's a thought!) Lower down they both have lots of dense shrubbery. 50cm has been the measure for a long time and not likely to change in any foreseeable future for those runs. Champagne on the other hand can be a beautiful run with just 15cm of snow
biggrin.gif

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

snowgum said:
I wonder (thing planning workshop again) if many people are going XC given the $12 day trail fee. One would want fairly regular trail grooming / summer maintenance to charge a fee or risk scaring people to MSG?

Rough trails force people to eat Chinese food??????

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au

snowgum said:
But they've always charged a trail fee, except for last year. However I notice that the child's trail fee at Baw Baw flouts government regulations. The max permitted for a child's trail fee is $6.09, but I believe BB is charging $7. Someone might like to bring this to their attention?

The relevant regs state
Regulation 34(2) FEES FOR CROSS COUNTRY SKI TRAIL AUTHORITY
Column 1 Column Column 3 Column 4
Item No. Type of authority Maximum fee for daily authority Maximum fee for season authority (if applicable)
1 Family (up to 6 people with a maximum of 2 adults) 2·55 fee units 30·60 fee units
2 Adult 1·02 fee units 12·75 fee units
3 Child (aged between 5 and 17years) $6.09 6·37 fee units
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/arr2009371/sch1.html

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Fair enough I will. Costs are already high enough.
BTW don't have a problem per se with a modest user pay stem -xc or otherwise.
It's when charges are levied without obvious maintenance &/upgrade I get narky.

Old_Towie

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2008

HI Teckel

Thanks for the link. Lots of good stuff there.

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

SuskiQ said:
Hi snowgum

Maltese and Painted both have Rocks... BIG granite rocks (talking dynamite not dozer
wink.gif
to clear those! ) It would be more feasible to put another 30cm of soil and vegetation on top of the rocks than remove them (hmmmm... there's a thought!) Lower down they both have lots of dense shrubbery. 50cm has been the measure for a long time and not likely to change in any foreseeable future for those runs. Champagne on the other hand can be a beautiful run with just 15cm of snow
biggrin.gif

Went into greater depth on what I was going to say
thumbsup.gif
I think I only ever rode Painted lift on two days since I started skiing. And those two days were within two weeks of each other!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Cheers Iceman - Mm 50 cm nwouldnt be easily covered at Bbaw.
Still I get your point there's a lot of terrain variety in a small space.

BTW,
Any info about The snowmaking last night? The BOM AWS indicated it was at or below -2 for around 6 hours. Even at 99% they must have been close to firing up those babies!

Next few nights at -3 or -4 mins should be a dead cert.

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

snowgum said:
Cheers Iceman - Mm 50 cm nwouldnt be easily covered at Bbaw.
Still I get your point there's a lot of terrain variety in a small space.

BTW,
Any info about The snowmaking last night? The BOM AWS indicated it was at or below -2 for around 6 hours. Even at 99% they must have been close to firing up those babies!

Next few nights at -3 or -4 mins should be a dead cert.

Baw Baw AWS is at the summit. On a windy, wet, snowy or something in between night, the village will be about a degree warmer. On clear nights, however, the village, being in a valley, gets one nice temperature inversion happening. I was there one time in autumn when the AWS read about 8 degrees, but the snowmaking station at the bottom of the toboggan run was reading 3 degrees
eek.gif

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Just been at BB 2 days. Nice conditions for downhill skiing on open runs (only maltese closed). Poor conditions on ungroomed xc trails, lumpy and icy( plenty of snow but they don't groom it). Very nice this morning on the summit trail with 1 cm of fresh, dry snow over the ice, but this was after I paid lift fee to get up to the top. No-one else around. Lots of snowboarders on the summit downhill, but champagne was pretty good. Sun came out around mid-day, then it was snowing again after lunch. Slow trip down behind cars with chains fitted. Another good bb trip.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Weerab, I didn't pay a trail fee, just as well! Went to Stirling last week via LM. 2.5 km hike from car park to skiable snow was a good workout carrying skis, daypack etc. Another 2k uphill to Bluff spur hut.Lunch in GGS hut gave respite from fierce wind at the summit, spitting ice. Could barely see the poles to ski my way down. Very nice skiing down west summit trail to newish hut at pole 36 (king spur hut?) Good place for a cup of tea before exploring the race loop to cricket pitch, then long ski down via machinery shed trail. Followed up with a day at Buller, where the best skiing was on LBS, but again a fierce wind at the top and poor vis. Much nicer at BB this week, apart from poor state of xc trails. The deal is I have to take +1 to the coast this week, looking for whales!

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

There's always a trade off, isn't there. I think my part of the deal will be taking the wife to Broome next year, with her mum and dad and two sisters. Should be fun!

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

Crikey, if I was faced with that deal, I think I'd give up skiing!

on thinking about it I dunno
It's my ex wife, her Mum and Dad are gone, and she's got 6 sisters..............
I'd still give up skiing!
biggrin.gif

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic

snowgum said:
Has anyone queried it with them yet? If they don't do anything, go direct to DSE, or report it to your state MP.

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic

teckel said:
snowgum said:
Has anyone queried it with them yet? If they don't do anything, go direct to DSE, or report it to your state MP.
When FC and LM overcharged some years ago, they were told they had to provide 2 or 3 days without trail fees as penance. FC did. If LM did, they certainly didn't advertise it.

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

New report, just spent yesterday and today at Baw Baw.

Upon arriving yesterday I was surprised at how well the cover was holding up. Champagne was closed yesterday and today, despite what the morning snow report said. I was told that it was to preserve the snow pack once the snow does start falling again. Can't see much snow in the next few days, unfortunately.

Yesterday (Tuesday) offered some surprisingly good turns on Hut Run and the upper part of Summit on corn, which was surprisingly fast. By later in the afternoon Summit was looking a little worse for wear in the usual spots, as was Hut Run. There was some light rain in the morning, but gave way to some sunny breaks in the afternoon.

A lot of damage was done last night with the warm temps, unfortunately. Cover is wearing thin in a number of places, but I'm surprised it even lasted this long. Will only take another 5 or 10 centimetres to fix everything up, hopefully.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

I trusted the cams today, rather than the resort report and I'm so glad I did. Best day skiing this year. Skied from the carpark to the ticket box.1/2 price for 2 lifts ( $33.00), Hut and Tank Hill (I won't count the beginners' carpet). A few runs down Hut and it was time to head out to the plateau.
The resort report said xc conditions were poor, but even the reported 3cm. of fresh, dry snow was enough to make the summit trail a delight (that crunchy sound as you go, not quite powder, but hey, it's bb, not hakuba). I cut across maltese at the top and skied out to St. Phillack saddle via the village, then Tors trail, which had a few random markers, but it helped to have been there before.
St. Phillack saddle was untracked and I soon adjusted that. Fresh, dry snow under the trees and a few linked turns started to come together before the legs started to complain about skiing back up, again. Lunch out of the wind looking North to the ranges and then back via the Tanjil trail, perhaps a mistake. Ungroomed, some narrow steep spots, but some satisfying back country skiing ( for bb, ok, it's not the main range, so I won't post there). It was melting off in the sunshine as I returned and will likely freeze over tonight. Didn't see you out there.Great day out.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

Sounds great CC, I wouldn't have gone up given the reported conditions but then I've got 2 more hours of travelling than you do. I'm up early tomorrow and off to Falls for a week, should be good.

Hymie

First Runs
May 2, 2008

It was a sensational day up on the hill.
Thanks for the report CC.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass