Mt Baw Baw 2012 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Hymie

First Runs
May 2, 2008
Re: Reports from Baw Baw?

Spent the day on Baw Baw today. Arrived at around 9:30 am to a nice white run up the hill from just above the ticket box. Snow Showers persisted all day with around 4cm falling in the car park, it was great to see people skiing to their cars again.
Up the top the runs received a much needed top up and talk was of more lifts opening in coming days with more snow forecast.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

10 cms over the weekend kept the little mountain alive, but only just. Their report says '3 lifts running' but of course one is a 5-6 m. magic carpet, so effectively, everyone is on 1 run down from Hut platter lift ( it's a poma, about 500 m. with 2 drop offs and a flat mid section) or Tank hill. But I had forgotten about the school groups, who all make their bookings in August. So by 11 am, the queue was as long as I'd ever seen at bb, with ski lesson groups getting priority, so it was time to bail. Free heel skis have some advantages. Champagne was still rock hard ice, but the summit trail and Mcmillans were just starting to soften up. No-one at all out the back, not even tracks except for some kn-bhead who had walked to the resort boundary right in the middle of the xc trail. Talk about no idea.
Lunch was great at the deserted and delightful Bloomfield's picnic spot. After that, someone had to ski the summit, so I had it to myself. Continuous cover , all the way, but not open to the lift dependant public. Oh, well. Blue sky, sunshine, but it will freeze over tonight. Better than last August, hey?

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Reports of fresh snow and the prospect of a blue sky day motivated me to get to St. Gwinear this morning. Conditions were superb, fresh snow below the carpark, sign directing 2WD vehicles to fit chains. Complete cover of dry, crunchy snow all the way to the summit. Some friendly folk on snowshoes were the only others about. Over the back of summit was wind blown and icy in places, but the cover improved all the way to Tullicouty Glen. I had forgotten how much fun could be had just skiing down the narrow access into the glen from the AAWT junction at the rock shelter, but it was testing enough. Lunch there and a little explore but not quite enough snow to go through to St. Phillack saddle. This may well improve by week's end. Back around the Cascades trail was all good, but the cover was deteriorating down the main trail on the way back with rocks and grass appearing in patches. Still a great day out on the back side of the plateau.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne

absentskier said:
Great to see some good snow falling today at Baw Baw.

Agreed absentskier. Visited today and found the snow in better shape than the reports indicated, and that was before it started falling down in earnest this afternoon. Had some good fun mainly on Hut and Summit, with some warm-ups on Tank.
Chains were not needed on the run up but definitely essential coming down the hill this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

Did a sneaky run up to Baw Baw yesterday. Chains not required, but there was some snow on the road up top when I arrived at around 8:30. Hut Run was first to open, as usual. It was a tad icy to start with, but the persistent drizzle softened the cover very quickly. Almost all of the mountain was open, even Painted lift was turning in the afternoon! Maltese Cross run was still closed (needs a lot of snow at the bottom to cover up that stream), but apart from that every single other run was open.

I stuck mostly to Champagne, Slalom and Old Hut for a challenge, while heading to Playground occasionally for the novelty... And lack of crowds!
smile.gif
Snow depth wasn't a problem, with almost no exposed hazards, although it was starting to get a little thin at the top of Summit (of all places!) Unfortunately the surface was a bit soft and slow, almost like spring. Weather was awfully drizzly in the morning, but cleared just before lunch.

Plenty of snow around to survive the next few warm days, before the next dump. If this keeps up Baw Baw may even see through half of September.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne

Great today!
Very icy to start with - lots of bone shaking "chattering" of the skis, but by about 11 am it had softened enough to give great riding. Brilliant sunshine all day but, of-course, that meant some deterioration of the cover by mid afternoon. A couple lifts were not operating, (Painted and Bridge, from memory). Maltese Cross was running and Champagne was in very good shape.

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

I'll second that Oldie
I went for my first run in 2 seasons this afternoon!
Snow had softened sufficiently to allow me not to make too much of a fool of myself, thighs are still reminding me of the great day!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Great that you got out there, Charlie. Meanwhile, no service at Kelly's cafe. Oh well, times change. Blue skies and sunshine at BB today. With Summit, Hut and Maltese lifts open, the school groups did not have such an impact. Ice lurked underneath the fresh stuff, especially on summit where the snow boards had scraped it off. Champagne was much better. Great day at the little mountain.

Charlie

Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

I think we need to point out that Kelly's (The Cafe) is under new management this winter!
Kelly's the accommodation however is still run by the same excellent team, providing the same exceptional service, including complimentary oversnow luggage transfer, ($70 return if you use the 'other' service), we even have 2 new backpacker rooms for the budget minded!
See here
Does this go over the top?????
Heheheh!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria

I just had a look at your accomodaton prices and spent 10 mins responding then computer crashed. To cut a long story short too bloody expensive for crap snow and crap tows. True! You might as well drive to Falls, the prices are similar!

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au

Charlie said:
I think we need to point out that Kelly's (The Cafe) is under new management this winter!
Kelly's the accommodation however is still run by the same excellent team, providing the same exceptional service, including complimentary oversnow luggage transfer, ($70 return if you use the 'other' service), we even have 2 new backpacker rooms for the budget minded!
See here
Does this go over the top?????
Heheheh!
I heard that resort management is now running Kellys (the cafe). If so, 'nuff said.

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts

weerab said:
I just had a look at your accomodaton prices and spent 10 mins responding then computer crashed. To cut a long story short too bloody expensive for crap snow and crap tows. True! You might as well drive to Falls, the prices are similar!
but to be looked after by charlie has to be worth something.....

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

when i got looked after by charlie i found out my mum and dad built the original part of that lodge, the old YHA lodge

Charlie

Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

weerab said:
weerab, weerab, weerab
I don't provide the snow OR the tows, just an excellent accommodation experience.

Charlie

Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

That's OK weerab, it's perfectly acceptable to have a rant whilst inebriated, if you'd been sober, I might have been annoyed!
thumbsup.gif

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Re: weerab; cheap wine and a three day growth? Come on! BB is a great little hill, especially over the back. You shouldn't write it off.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

LOL, I was gonna use the 3 day growth line too but it's only been two days so far, fixing up bathroom! BB is great but I couldn't make head nor tail of the prices must have another look whilst sober! I am on hols at the moment, go back on Monday and thinking of a trip to MSG on Saturday, hope vis is reasonable. Now have a formidable set up, thanks partly to your goodself who showed me the way! I now have the Excursions on Fischer Rebound 112s with Switchback bindings, perfect for the skiing that I do!

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra

Was up at MSG last Sunday. Great cover, not too icy. Skied out to Rock Shelter and back. I'm heading up there on Saturday again after hopefully some more snowfalls. Might see you up there, Weerab. I'll be on green S-Bound 98's, wearing a grey jacket.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Rab, re: your new ski set-up, I note that Ziggy was so impressed with the planks that he plans to upgrade in that direction himself! They must turn and travel well. IMO MSG could be a bit bracing weather-wise on Sat. as the back end of this system goes through, but with some fresh cover it should be great for a little tour around. Enjoy. (n.b. Don't tell Charlie, but Edski lodge is a much more affordable accomm. option at bb, if you don't mind sharing some facilities with families etc.)

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah, I think Sunday will be better but I am back at work Monday after two weeks off so prefer to have Sunday at home "recovering". Re the new skis, I like them a lot esp with the switchback bindings which I actually bought off Ziggy. Then after getting the switchbacks I "had" to buy a new pair of skis to go with the. You can drive yourself crazy with gear!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Just wondering, if bindings are so good, why did he sell them? I note Z is also selling boundless skis and 7tm tour bindings as well as his skating skis. Has he found the perfect quiver of one?

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

Well he did comment that the Fischer S bound 112s would make a good quiver of one. So he's selling the skaters as well? The Switchbacks are great, I think he upgraded to something even better though, you'll have to ask him.

Charlie

Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

chriscross said:
Rab, re: your new ski set-up, I note that Ziggy was so impressed with the planks that he plans to upgrade in that direction himself! They must turn and travel well. IMO MSG could be a bit bracing weather-wise on Sat. as the back end of this system goes through, but with some fresh cover it should be great for a little tour around. Enjoy. (n.b. Don't tell Charlie, but Edski lodge is a much more affordable accomm. option at bb, if you don't mind sharing some facilities with families etc.)

Quite right Chris, Edski is a very nice club lodge, I do their maintenance and stuff
But, apples and oranges.........
Kelly's supplies all bedding, linen and towels, each room has it's own ensuite, and TV in bedrooms, you don't have to negotiate a goat track carrying all your luggage, we deliver to the door, you step out of Kelly's snap on your skis, and schuss down to the Maltese Cross ski tow
Edski has 10 rooms, and only 3 double beds, so it's a lottery to get one, (Of course that wouldn't concern you or weerab), while all 4 Kelly's rooms have a double bed........
I could go on, but you get the picture!
thumbsup.gif

Charlie

Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

You've been there a few times????? Your old man is a member FFS,
but I reiterate Edski is a great lodge!

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

I had a pretty good day up at MSG today. I was really expecting to put chains on today but all they had was a bit of slush near the car park.

It was snowing off and on the whole day but trees gave a bit of protection from the wind. I got as far as the Rock shelter on the Alpine track and had planned to go into to Tullicouty glen but my gloves were a bit wet and my soft shell jacket was kind of damp so I went back to the shelter at Gwinear Carpark and had lunch. After a change of underjackets and gloves, I was ready to go again and went back up to the summit and skied back down again. I enjoyed this much more as the weather had improved slightly and the fresh snow was very pleasant to ski on.

Comments on gear:

New $90 RAB gloves were soaking wet after about 2 hours.
Softshell under RAB hardshell didn't work too well. I felt pretty damp, perhaps excess sweat but damp nonetheless. After lunch I put on an old fleece jacket under a damp hardshell and felt pretty good. The gloves were replaced by $5 Aldis. Macpac prophet pants over poly underpants were great. Plastic Garmont boots were brilliant , really comfortable and dry feet at the end of the day. So I am not totally convinced about all of the new technology!

PS Strider, were you there today, looked for green Fischers, didn't see any!

Prokasaurus

Hard Yards
Aug 30, 2010
Moe, Victoria

Went for a hike to the summit of Mount Erica on the Baw Baw Plateau yesterday (Saturday 18th Aug).

Ice rain from carpark elevation (~1100m) to mushroom rocks (~1275m) transitioning to 100% flakes at about ~1350m. Snowfall was light-moderate, although the Ice Rain at at mushroom rocks and below got pretty heavy on the way back down.

All in all was a good walk =D

from_the_glen

First Runs
May 18, 2010
vic

Spent the RDO Monday 20th at the friendly little mountain, plenty of punters taking advantage of the VG snow conditions, tele heaven on upper summit ,all runs open and smiles a plenty.Must congratulate management on dropping the weekday adult lift tickets to $45.....absolute bargain get it while ye can...sure beats walking..

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

Shee, that's not a bad price! I paid $95 for a half day ticket at Falls a couple of weeks ago and half the lifts were closed because of the wind. We had a 20 minute wait on the Falls express at one point.

priderock

Hard Yards
Aug 11, 2010

Teenage son just got back from Baw Baw. Boarded all day on the discount lift ticket, had free accommodation overnight, snack along the way.
No wonder he is grinning from ear to ear but totally st....d

Agree F-T- Glen get up there and enjoy

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au

Please keep on topic of snow reports / photos / conditions from here on in. This thread will be linked and embedded in the Baw Baw snow report page shortly

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne

Amazing scene this morning! Fresh snow everywhere, even down to Tanjil Bren. Great cover on all runs, although a bit of grooming to pack the powder down would have improved the ride. Foggy most of the day with intermittent snow showers and brief bits of sunshine. A great day!

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne

Went up yesterday, fitting chains to 2WDs when I got there. I don't think they were really needed, there was no snow on the road when I got there (there may have been earlier though). Anyway, the mountain was probably the best I've seen it, all runs were open at some stage through the day.

Unfortunately the weather didn't lend itself to a dry surface, with light rain showers through the day (although not much rain all up). There were also leaves and bark scattered across some runs due to the strong winds through the week. It was still very windy yesterday, with many complaints from many people about the wind chill... a hot chocolate from Kelly's at lunchtime kept the fire going all day for me!

Almost the entire mountain, apart from Old Hut and Slalom was groomed, making for some very smooth and fun skiing, if a little slow (but that's also because of head winds!). There was plenty of snow on Slalom and Old Hut, but cover was very soft and wet(stacked a couple of times... must work on that!), but would be a dream run with powder. For the short time Painted was running, Playground was as much fun as the name implied, except when you got to the huge flat bit at the bottom. Apart from a bare patch on Maltese Cross trail, there were no other patches. Champagne and the top of Summit look a little thin, however, and there is clearly a lot of dust blown onto the runs from the wind.

The sun will probably cause quite a lot of damage this week with the dust and leaves, but more snow is on the way later in the week, so keep an eye on reports and I'm pretty sure next weekend will be another great one for the little mountain. Baw Baw may even see out the official season!

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

Took mr 8 up today for some combo downhill and xc action, sun came out about 1000am and we had a fun day. Seems to have rained a fair bit last night and it was a meltfest today but a good freeze will see the cover solidify for grooming on both the dh and xc runs.

skinnyfred

Hard Yards
Jul 29, 2011
Yarra Valley Victoria

We had a day trip on Saturday and had fun with good snow.
The storm last week resulted in many trees across the Baw Baw Tourist Road, as well as debris. Whilst the going was a little slow, lots of hard work had been done to clear the road and enable access to the resort.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Super Spring conditions today with blue sky, full sunshine and a good cover of soft snow. Newspaper claimed 5 lifts running, website suggested 4 (Maltese on standby, yeah, right). The sign at the ticket box said it was Sunday and 4 lifts were running but last night's staff breakup must have been still affecting operations; 3 lifts were running and one was the magic carpet, so that means, effectively, 2, summit and hut. That's ok, especially if you're on freeheel skis and can get over to Champagne and back up. Fully groomed and no-one there, champagne was superb. Great September skiing, hope it lasts.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009

Sounds great, but bloody hell, haven't you got a job or something to do!
laugh.gif
. I would love to retire but my job kind of finances my ski expeditions.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

A bit like the telemark doctor, my financial advisor recommended that I ski as much as possible and work less. I know, it's tough. You should try it!

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne

i need your financial advisor to work for me.....no, actually work for my wife!

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne

Had a good day to-day! Snow was firm and groomed this morning, but of-course with the strong sunshine and warm temps, it softened during the day. Only Hut, Summit and magic carpet running. The gauge next to the Summit T bar showed about 40cm. The cover on the runs and tows was continuous this morning but by mid afternoon, some thin patches and brown spots were showing, but not enough to spoil the fun.

Charlie

Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

Hey Chris, ask your advisor if you can sample the 3cm of freshies today!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills

Far out, just checking the cams now. The bom guy on the radio this morning said that there was 30mm+ of r**n up there. But it looks white on the steps next to the toboggan run.
Had to collect footy tickets this morning.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass