Mt Baw Baw 2012 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
Re: Reports from Baw Baw?

Not true, we frequently have skiable snow long after the lifts have closed!
last year for instance, the lifts closed on a particular Sunday, and we had a long forecasted dump the next day!
mad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra

Apologies, but I feel the need for a rant looking back at BB this season.

I just don't understand the mindset of Baw Baw Management this year... What's going on up there?

I remember going up there on opening weekend expecting great service and enthusiam one would expect from a resort wishing to make a good impression from the beginning of the season. Sadly this was not the case. I was left waiting 1.5 hours for a bowl of wedges at Village Central! There was so much discontent and anger among patrons that I felt sorry for the staff. Clearly something wasn't right.

I tried visiting Kelly's to find the place completely transformed, and not for the better. The warm, cosy and friendly atmosphere that I used to love about the place had disappeared. Now... a Tapas bar? WTF?

And now the management decide to send many staff home a week ago and effectively shut down the resort as of yesterday. There is still plenty of snow to keep lifts turning, surely? I know the resort is struggling to stay afloat and after bad press last season. But how is this aiding their cause?

I'm afraid Buller and Stirling received most of my patronage this year. I also spent more XC time at St Gwinear than Baw Baw because I was disappointed with the "service" at Baw Baw. I do hope that they do get it right next year.

Anyways enough of my rant. Good luck for next season BB.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria

Charlie said:
Yeh, but I wouldn't wait till the weekend!

Unfortunately some of us do have to wait for the weekends. I just wished I had been born a prince so I could ski whenever I want to or at least spend $7000 a night in Las Vegas on accomodation and a few big titted "friends". Bring back the guillotine!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Oldie said:
BawBaw have suddenly closed their lifts for the season!! That's a bit premature isn't it?!!

Like most of the Victorian public sector poor old BBaw (a QAGO) is probably trying to operate on tightrope of a budget - as a skier its pretty disappointing but they've probably exhausted their reserves.

One wonders how long this sort of a delicate balance can continue. This scenario is probably little different from most core Vic Gov depts. who are shedding staff & ancillaries like there's no tomorrow!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland

Oh dear!
5cm snow outside on Kelly's deck and snowing heavily!
The 3rd year in a row there has been a decent drop straight after the mountain closes for business
There would be good cross country and tobogganing now!

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic

Cams are off line, lifts are shut, Kelly food is no more, but if the snow comes so will I.
Keep updating, Charlie. Let's see... a few trips up and down the road to make some tracks in the snow and clear the trees, please

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Still need the road Ploughs or most visitors will miss out. Resorts havent quite worked out that for out of season visits, roads still require chainsaws and occasional ploughs.

stridercdh

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2011
Canberra
With the sub-zero temps overnight, is it likely that there will be skiable snow for xc by Wednesday? What is the trail/downhill run coverage like after the recent snowfall? I know it's late in the season, but my tele turns are just coming along nicely and I need a few more runs to satisfy my tele-hunger...
EvilGrin.gif

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
Wind is a worry. snow evaporates quicker than it melts, and Thursday will be the end of the line.

mrvdv

First Runs
Oct 9, 2012
Hey all
I'm coming from interstate and was just wondering if its worth going for the drive to Mount Baw Baw just to see snow meaning if there much snow to see? also how much does it cost to just park and have a look around if there is? i know it costed per car up the mountain but if anyone can help out with some more details, that be great. :)

Hymie

First Runs
May 2, 2008
Hi mrvdv, Baw Baw has a nice cover at the moment, definitely enough to mke the drive worthwhile. Thursday is looking the better day if you want to see lots of snow.
There is currently no gate entry fee, but there is a $5 parking charge.
I believe Neerim South and Erica both have Chain Hire open still if you want to hire chains.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
11mm at well below zero temps on the AWS. You'd think that there would be 10cm out of that (or at least that by tomorrow morning).

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Well, the day was right, the weather looked ideal and the cams still promised good cover so I rolled the dice and went to bb for (probably) the final ski of the year. Drove right into the village and parked near the public shelter and admin office. No-one around. Skied from the car down to the bowl (5-10 cm) and then up to the gauge half way down summit dh run, which showed 15-20 cm. A short run down to stretch the legs was fun, then skied up to the top half of summit for what turned out to be the best downhill run of the day. Went for a view at the lookout and was pleased to have a friendly chat with Glen and Masuni who were resting after coming up the xc trail to summit. Skied round to Champagne which I had anticipated, but the cover, though good (20+ cm) was soft and porridge like. A run down the top of Hut was better, then through the trees.
Back down the romantically titled La Descent and surprise, there were Glen and Masuni at the 5 way junction, so we went out around McMillans and back to the picnic tables on Village trail for lunch. Hikers coming across from Gwinear were heedlessly smashing up the cover with their boots, but did not take the hint, despite our not so subtle references to the benefits of snowshoes. Still, with blue skies, no wind and great cover, it was a ski worthy of the finish to a great season. Nice to meet Glen and his sweet laden companion, too. Perhaps our paths will cross again.

gurenkuraku

Hard Yards
Oct 14, 2012
Melbourne
Snow gauge near Shirley's Slide was reading 60cm(!) - plenty of snow over that side around Summit Trail. A phenomenal day for mid-Oct(!), lots of fresh tracks in not-too-badly rain affected snow... also a great (& unexpected) way to end a long season. Couldn't believe there was no-one else up on skis today taking advantage of it except us and Chris. Good to meet you & see y'round!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass