1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Mt Baw Baw 2013 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Ian D, May 14, 2013.

1. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Some early falls all but melted now, might get some more later this week.

2. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Baw Baw are apparently going to open 3 lifts starting on the weekend at weekday prices, possibly Hut Run, Tank Hill and Magic Carpet. Not sure if XC Trails will be groomed, hoping they will so I can get out the skate skis. Cover looks not too bad, I know its not deep but it doesn't look too patchy and theres still snow around on the trees and roofs, lets hope it holds up well.

3. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yesterday they were charging $30 to ride the poma to tower 2 on Hut run. That's about 200 metres max. A few people were having lessons there. But the whole of the run was skiable if you were prepared to hike/ski up to the top (with a couple of cm of fresh). Most of the summit run was skiable but it was lumpy and patchy in places. Up the top it was all trashed by people in boots hiking around a jump. Same at the top of champagne.
    At the ticket box, the sign read 4/7 lifts open. Pardon?
    Hope you have a good time, txc. It's worth the hike to get out of the main resort, around the summit xc trail, for example.

4. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Thanks CC, I went up yesterday and took a few photos, the snow was a bit sketchy in some places but not too icy and a few little bits of powdery snow tucked away in places. XC trails were not groomed and a mess (watch out for the village level trails a little walking is needed), but yes the summit was quite nice followed by a few telemark turns on skier free downhill runs.

I did a little blog post about my trip here if anyones interested

It was still great to get some first tracks in for the season, always good to get that rusty technique phase over with at the start of the season anyway [​IMG]

Here are some images I took:

[​IMG]
    Some snow holding up well around the carpark

[​IMG]
    Trail conditions

[​IMG]
    Snow depth at the summit, almost knee deep in some spots

[​IMG]
    Muellers lookout for the BC people, there were two snow capped peaks in the distance one on the left I was thinking might be Mt reynard and theres another in the centre which looks pretty impressive, all I had with me was my iphone so might be a bit hard too see

couple more photos I took are over on the blog

Dont let the 10cm put you off going, its a little more at the top, perhaps 15+ and even 20-30 in spots a lot of the trails have drifts of snow in areas that give them good cover. Don't make the dumb mistake of taking track skis like I did, I reckon light tourers would be sufficient

#4 TeleXC, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  5. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

It's probably Buller, you can actually see their snow guns operating on a good day!

6. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

ah ok, It looked pretty impressive from there, next time I'll bring the telescopic lens with me

7. chriscross

On a clear day you can see Buller and the Bluff. Reynard is way to the East.

8. chriscross

Just checked out your blog- tough effort to take skating skis to the summit, well done. Unfortunately, grooming for skating is a rare thing at BB. Suggest you take touring type skis next time.

9. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Thanks, I was going to go back and get my BC skis latter but ran out of time, I couldn't resist taking the skating skis, I'm wondering right now why I used them, It Was pleasant skating when I got to the flatter sumit though, was fun telemarking the way down too

10. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Went up today. Only two lifts running, Hut and Maltese. (Lift ticket was only $30 and designated "low snow") Despite the report saying only 12cm, it was pretty much top to bottom cover albeit with a few brown patches here and there. For a weekday there was a good number there with the car park about half full and at times moderately long (for Baw Baw) lift lines. Maltese only served Champagne and Slam Dunk - Maltese Cross run was closed. Likewise Hut really only allowed Hut Run itself to be skied. La Descente and other detours were barricaded off. Visibility was good but despite Melbourne only getting to 11.6C, there was light r**n for most of the day. Obviously the rule of thumb of 1 degree per 100 metres wasn't working today!
    Over all, despite the limitations, a good days skiing was had by all!

11. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Very surprised that there was no snow as it was very arctic in Melbourne today.
    Wind was from the north, which was a bit surprising.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

In the Nth of Melb the strong winds come from the Nth.

It rained a good deal in Mt Beauty yesterday but Falls only got 3cm of snow. Go figure.

13. ice_man

ice_man One of Us

Yesterday was a bit odd weather wise with warmer air aloft with the rain band, but with cold air remaining at low levels. Baw Baw appeared to miss the bulk of the moisture, which is lucky. Few more fronts to come this week should set Baw Baw up well for next weekend.

14. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

The fronts don't look too promising according to tonight's weather report,but I hope I'm wrong.I was up there last weekend and the base was crap,good snow fell on the saturday night and was already melting by sunday arvo,looking at the cams today shows the same trend,hope your prediction is right iceman!

15. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Looks like that's it for Baw Baw, last day for lifts August 25th according to the website. This weekend could actually be ok if the snow doesn't melt!

16. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

If the predicted snow comes for next week they should extend that date

17. chriscross

Must agree with skiflat; if this next system goes off as predicted, they could be open for another month. But I suppose someone has to make a decision about how long they can keep paying the mountain staff when there's virtually nothing to ski. As for the people who bought discount lift vouchers online (from Groupon), all I can say is what a ripoff! Dud season (so far) for little BB. But it could all change...

18. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

That's crazy for them to set that date! It could be skiable well into September, this is Australia, fronts come out of nowhere and BB doesnt need much to stay running.

19. ice_man

ice_man One of Us

There have been many instances where Baw Baw closes for the season and there's a huge dump of snow within a week.

20. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

So all those people who purchased the Baw Baw Groupon lift tickets which state they have until the 31st of August to redeem them...............

21. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I skied Baw Baw late September or october a couple of years back. Just me, Chriscross and I think you too Iceman and possibly a couple of others.

#21 weerab, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  22. Fluffy beanie

Fluffy beanie One of Us

What actual runs are open now? And how much are they charging for lift tickets/gate entry? Cheaper than their full price I hope....

23. chriscross

Last week they were charging $30.00. I went up because the website said that Maltese T-bar was running, but when I got there it was not. R**n and warm temps had damaged thin cover. Lift was running to tower 2 on Hut run. Ok for beginners' lessons and school groups, perhaps, but not worth paying for. Hopefully conditions up there might change for the better after this week's weather, certainly after what's predicted for next week (will be at FC, hopefully my best timed ski trip of the season so far).

24. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

A bad year for Baw Baw, hopefully latest snow may help build the base. Oh for snowmaking & suitable weather along the length of Summit & Maltese

25. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

[​IMG]
    I normally don't post photos taken with my phone because the quality is woeful, but this is looking down Champagne last Friday.
    Oldie.

#25 Oldie, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  26. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Just had a weekend on the mountain, conditions were average but the resort staff did a great job in opening up what they could. Tobogganers were everywhere like a plague of locusts! XC skiers that I spoke to said trails were fair, depending on where you went but as I'm not a XC skier this probably means 'lots of mud patches but the snow sections were good', my interpretation. The most disappointing thing for me was the condition of the tourist road. With the amount of wind, and considering it is a major access route for the mountain, there was a large number of trees across the road.If it wasn't for good samaritans with chain saws,I would not have got up or down. VicRoads should automatically have a roving crew on the spot when these conditions occur to facilitate access and safety,many trees seem to have been cut afterwards,possibly by VicRoads and their contractors but left in such a precarious position that if one was not careful you would wipe the side of your car off. This is a real turnoff for many patrons, as is the general condition of the road. Otherwise, a reasonable weekend!

27. ice_man

ice_man One of Us

Very late report, but I was up there Saturday. Yes toboggans everywhere, including a couple on Champagne where the skiers were supposed to be (and yes it WAS open, although in very poor condition at the bottom, they were trying desperately to keep it going until day's end). The bottom of Hut and Tank Hill was mostly mud, with only a little snow around the bottom of the lifts to keep everyone going. However the upper reaches (or basically anywhere not at village level) looked quite nice. I was told by someone (not sure how true this is) that after this weekend they will probably only open one lift at best, depending on conditions.

I think this weekend will be amazing, but incredibly busy. I'll be up there for sure, see you up there! [​IMG]

#27 ice_man, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  28. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

I'm glad I was wrong about last weekend,I thought that was the end of it. Their website says lifts are still on standby from Aug 26, so what will actually be running after this will depend on more snow I presume? This weekend should be magic, with sunny skies forecasted, make the most of it iceman!

29. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Was up there today (Fri 23-8). Snow cover was good. Two lifts, Hut and Summit T. Fair number of people there but not as many as I thought would be there. The weather was not very good. When I arrived, it was a mix of light r**n and sleet but the sleet side soon disappeared leaving just the r**n. About mid morning it stopped for a while but then returned and continued unabated till I left at about 4pm. The wind was fairly strong and when skiing down, it blew the r**n into your face. It was also fairly foggy with the "flat" light making it hard to see dips and bumps in the snow cover. Despite the weather, I still had a good day skiing!
    I suspect that on Sat/Sun the place will be packed, and then, unfortunately, a run of warm days next week may do some real damage.

30. Kellys

Kellys First Runs

I think I should point out that Kelly's Cafe will be open under old management from this weekend
    8 AM till late, Hot and cold beverages, chips, wedges, toasties, various forms of alcohols
    (If a mod feels this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it!)

teckel likes this.
  31. ice_man

ice_man One of Us

I will see you there tomorrow [​IMG]

#31 ice_man, Aug 23, 2013
  32. ice_man

ice_man One of Us

Trip report today... very busy for the snowboard competition. They were using Tank Hill for the comp so skiers (and subsequently the ski school) were forced onto Hut and Summit. Maltese Cross ended up not opening thanks to the overnight melting away all but a very thin layer of snow with almost no base. That would have been lost very quickly had it been opened (would have lasted maybe half an hour at best!). So lift lines were VERY long, but most of Hut and most of Summit is holding up reasonably well, especially in the lower half with the man made snow. That said, the very bottom of Tank Hill and Summit is a mudbath, don't know what's going on this year, it never used to do that [​IMG] (drainage issues?)

I would expect the same runs to be open tomorrow including Tank Hill. After that, I don't think anyone knows. A good day out on the slopes for what is probably the final weekend of the season.

#32 ice_man, Aug 24, 2013
  33. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Anyone going up to Baw Baw? Thinking of going up for a ski saturday if cover remains, Baw Baw reporting 10cm.

34. chriscross

It looks tempting but I fear cover will be thin as it looks to be melting already. Take some skis that you will not mind getting scratched. Hope it's fun.

35. TeleXC

TeleXC Hard Yards

Hopefully we get some fresh in the morning looking at the forecast. I think all of my skis have become rock hoppers after this season so the rocks shouldn't be a problem [​IMG] Should be nice getting some turns in for free tommorow, will hit the Downhill runs with teles, not too familiar with the downhill runs at baw baw but should be fun having a ski in mid spring!

#35 TeleXC, Oct 25, 2013
  36. grozzy

grozzy Hard Yards

I came up to baw baw last night. Lowest snowfall level (south road) I have ever seen. I had chains on but couldn't get my 2wd up the mountain due to the road and neither could anyone else so 4wd with chains had to take us up. Very snowy here and still snowing lightly fine powder. For baw baw should be an epic day

37. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Can anyone advise if there was a base prior to the new snow i.e. did the 24cm fall on existing snow or onto grass/rocks? Snow down to the old chairlift base station?

38. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

39. grozzy

grozzy Hard Yards

Skied the day mt baw baw. This morning was powder with plenty of fresh for all. By the arvo the snow had turned to normal Australia snow but still good with some snow showers around 3pm. For those old timers the top summit t-bar gauge was 65cm. Playground and big hill had the usual patches showing in the arvo. Two comment on the management. First opening the first run at 9am on sat seems crazy late. Secondly, the towies are way too soft with single loaders on t-bars with causes queues that never needed to happen