1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2015 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Richard, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jag_sv2000

Jag_sv2000 First Runs

Yes, just for the day. I'll be heading from the northern suburbs (Craigieburn), heading east via Lillydale.
    Plan is to leave around 4:30, arrive at the resort entry around 7:30 - hire skis and chains there (apparently there's a store at corner of South face road and Baw Baw road) so might as well get both things there and then. Be ready to ski by 8:30-9! :D

Yeah I've been tracking the weather and following this thread, the snow seems pretty good so far - not that I'm in a situatuation to be very fussy because I'm very new to skiing! :)

Half price Wednesday was a strong incentive for us to head out there actually and yes it makes it much cheaper than Buller! Although Buller has discount on Thursdays too, but which is still higher than full lift price for Baw Baw.

Hopefully I can get the mrs to ski as well otherwise lessons for her! Cannot wait!

2. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

G'Day Jag
    Sounds like a good plan, except, you can only hire chains at the intersection, a good deal, 'cause they'll also fit them for you if necessary, hire your ski gear at Mount Baw Baw Ski Hire in the village, and have fun!

3. ice_man

ice_man One of Us

You can also pre-purchase resort entry online. Huge time saver - just park and head to the slopes!

4. Jag_sv2000

Jag_sv2000 First Runs

Is there any reason to not hire skis from the intersection? I thought it'd save time (and bit of money as they're tiny bit cheaper) while the chain fitting happens?

5. Charlie

A number of reasons.....
    1: I don't think they actually hire skis there
    2: If they did, and you had a problem with the ski or binding, it's a long trip back to the shop to have them changed
    3: It's a lot warmer in the ski hire building than standing outside in the weather trying on boots. (Which they don't hire anyway)

Baw Baw Bear likes this.
  6. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Very sad outcome :(

7. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Indeed. If I get any updates I'll let you know.

8. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have booked into the usual place from Sunday the 16th for five days, have to be back for a function on Saturday. Don't tell your wife, she will think I am stalking you;).

Hope you can join me for a tour to Fitzy,s or Johnson's or just anywhere. The lodge manager reckons that this is best snow he has seen at this time of year!

9. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds great. Will send PM.

10. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Hey guys I am staying a mates little cottage outside Noojee this weekend, and with the good snow and everything open I was thinking of heading up to wab wab for half a day for some touring. The last time I skied baw baw was laps of the chairlift line, when it was still skiable, so it's been a while. Back then I didnt have an A/T setup, so I didnt explore anything outside of the lifted terrain. Is there anything out the back/side of baw baw that would keep me entertained, even if it's only for half a day? Anything with some proper steeps? I'm not fussed about skinning out to some place to hit up a good line. Also i'm not too fussed about paying for a lift ticket and skiing in bounds for a few hours, but would rather get some fitness and a small challenge in.

ladycamper likes this.
  11. weerab

Hi Verm, there's no real steeps at Baw Baw. I don't think it's really suitable for AT, too undulating, not good with skins.

You can ski out the back of the summit, towards the Alpine Track andd Mt Phillack, there's some very nice touring thru the little glens but as I said, it would be a PIA with skins.

If you want fitness I suppose you could skin up the summit track and ski down one of the runs.

Vermillion likes this.
  12. chriscross

It's worth a look if you are up that way, for sure. Out from the 5 ways junction, a little tour around McMillan's trail to the Village trail and back (anticlockwise) is nice excursion out of the main ski area with a bit of a climb back up. But you need to be aware of the ******* dog sled operators who seem to think they own the xc trails now. I think it's a really lovely, underrated place close to Melbs, but the dog sled thing has degraded the experience for skiers IMO.They don't groom the trails further out on the plateau so the going can be pretty lumpy, depending on conditions and who has been out there. Enjoy.

13. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

$$$$$$$$$$ Always wins sadly :crap::crap::crap::crap:

ladycamper likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Sing out if you want another old fart along.
    I'll be in Mt Beauty for a few weeks.

15. chriscross

Old fart? We could use a de facto instructor.

16. weerab

looks like a plan, I think I may be the oldest fart there! ZIggy, still have your number on my phone so will give you a call next week.

I think you guys will get on well both being ex teachers and far more intellectually inclined than my good self.

open to suggestions but keen to check out the new roof on Fitzy's or Ropers or whatever,

17. weerab

How come no one has commented on my new/old icon thingy? I think it's from mid eighties in a blizzard on way back from Mt Loch.

stansi and Vermillion like this.
  18. Charlie

'cause it's not very clear!

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Goodo.
    I haven't been to Fitzy for a while but happy to punt anywhere.

20. Jag_sv2000

Jag_sv2000 First Runs

For those going out there, yes Baw Baw is snow ample at the moment.
    So we ended up following our plan to head up there yesterday. Outcome: excellent.

For those interested here is our complete beginners experience at BB:

We traveled from the northern suburbs, took the Lilydale - Yarra Junction- Noojee route. Found the roads to be little under maintained and encountered pot holes along the route closer around Icy Creeky - Tenjil Bren. Possibly due to the logging trucks? As planned though, took us 3 hours from our door. Weather was clear on the way with no rain.

We got to the BB intersection around 8, had the chains fitted by the rep at the entry point. They were more expensive than the guys at Noojee, but I was feeling happy that they fitted the chains for us, only an extra 15 bucks, and saves the headache and hands. *rolls eyes*

Headed towards the village and the road was covered in a thin blanket of snow, good sign. Until the car stopped moving. Damn it, my car was a front wheel drive, I had the rep fit them onto the rear wheels! What a douchbag (me)! Point to note- know your car.

I wasn't the only idiot on the slope that day though- the car behind me made the same mistake and stopped about 20 metres from us. The only difference was I hadn't even seen snow chains in my life until now. Didn't know how to unclip them and put them on. So anyway, spent the next 30 minutes trying to unclip them and then switch onto the front wheels- while the mrs complained for 20 of those minutes that we should just do a u-ee and head back to entry.

Being the man that I am. Strong. Tough. Know it all. :whistle:o_O I pulled through and got it done! Success!

It was snowing as we parked the car. We were at the gate in 10 minutes. With some food and at the hire shop, skis readied, we were on the slope by 10.

The morning was spent teaching the Mrs- partial success there. Not sure if the mrs is a bad skier though or if i'm a bad trainer. Let's just go with the later in case she reads this.

The rest of the day was spent skiing the beginner courses. The ground was like concrete at places- most places. It was very firm and hard. Naturally made love to it through out the day. Also showed off my skills by even falling off the lifts then squirming out of the way entertaining the people as they rode past me. Luckily only managed to do that three times during the day.

Weather: that was a bit of a roller coaster. Snow showers were intermittent through the day, ranging from light flurry to heavy snow by the end of the day. A really good experience for us. Sun was also out twice for 20-30 minutes at a time. Got misty towards later in the day and extremely foggy around 4:30 pm, visibility was only around up to 10-15 metres when we left - at 5. Not sure if it would have continued to snow after we left - if it did the way it was- then skiers will be really enjoying the slopes today!

Chains: $35
    Entry: $35
    Ski Hire, boots and pole: $50 ea
    Lift pass: $25 ea (50% off Wednesday)

All up- much cheaper than Buller.
    So that was our first SKI trip to Mt Baw Baw. In conclusion, I'm hooked. We'll see you again next year Baw Baw. :cheers:

The only whinge points for the day:
    - Magic carpet sucks- is for complete beginners/kids. relative to the one at Buller, this one is tiny.
    - Couldn't find a good beginner spot for my wife, after the small magic carpet, it seemed the next step was the lift. But she found that too difficult to even attempt. However we did notice the guys taking lessons progress onto that area. The surface was very hard around there too so that was a put off for the Mrs. We didn't check out the slopes closer to village, maybe they might have had something easier?

SuskiQ and Ziggy like this.
  21. weerab

Good report but why wait till next year?

You would have thought the chain fitter would have known better about which wheels to put them on, could have caused a nasty accident.

22. Jag_sv2000

Jag_sv2000 First Runs

I would love to go again this year, but have a wedding in Gold Coast coming up soon. Being an Indian and a close cousin's wedding it's going to take up 4-5 weekends! We also have a 1.5 year old to manage too.
    Regardless of the excuses I'm making, if we get a chance we'll definitely head out again.

The chain fitter, seemed fairly young so probably didn't know either. But all well that ends well.

23. Roger Mexico

Roger Mexico Hard Yards

Great report Jag_sv2000. Was at BB on Sunday. Some observations;
    Cost is reasonable for parking and food
    Website is hopeless
    Trail map is not great
    As a beginner it was a good place to try out new gear
    friendly and unpretentious
    80% snowboarders, Dude!
    XC trails quiet, but sharing with dog sleds and walkers
    Drive to Yarra Junction could be frustrating with slow driver ahead and 30+ car convoy behind, practice breathing and meditate on compassion or you'll go crazy
    Close-ish to Melbourne 2:50hr door to door
    Pay for parking on website in advance
    I skinned up the XC trails and down the groomers a few times
    Website says you can get a one-off lift ride for $10, a good option to mix it up
    There's about 200m of "off-piste", really a small open slope to a gentle snow meadow between Painted Run and Summit Trail
    Wikiski has some advice on unmarked runs

We'll be back on Sunday. Say hi to the freaks on AT and tele.

24. weerab

Re: the $10 one off lift option. It's advertised in their brochure and I think even on the sign outside the ticket office but they reckon they are not doing them this year!

I just wanted to access the summit so I could go touring. I thought "bugger it", I'll just jump on the T-bar, but they were on to me! I even offered the liftie $10!

25. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Didn't you guys have trouble digging your car out of Loch car park that weekend?
    Gee, some of us have got a memory.

26. weerab

Yes we did, I thought it was you there with the Shep ski club. We should have stayed put at the Derrick hut with you guys, we had to use a piece of string between some of the poles, the visibility was bad.

We didn't actually have to dig out the car but the grader clearing the road had effectively blocked off the entrance to the car park. We had to walk back to Hotham and wait till they moved the snow. We also hadn't realised it was a DAY carpark.

27. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Yes why are not people taught if a vehicle is behind you, its probably going faster than you.... Just F$%^ING pull over and let them past. First thing my dad taught me driving to BB :headbang::headbang: Many moons ago :thumbs:

SuskiQ likes this.
  28. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

[QUOTE="weerab, post: 2729737, member: 20987"
    You would have thought the chain fitter would have known better about which wheels to put them on, could have caused a nasty accident.[/QUOTE]

Snow chains are a safety item and the most important part of purchasing, hiring, fitting and using snow chains is to read, and then follow, the instructions in the vehicle owners manual.

29. Charlie

30. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Welcome Jag and don't worry because most of us here have made some terrible mistakes when having first snow experiences. The main thing is that you enjoyed it and want more. We've all made the same mistakes and write it off to experience. Keep going and enjoy the snow.

31. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Great day, yesterday (Friday)! Very overcast, but no fog and no r**n. Snow holding up well with full cover top to bottom. Lift ticket now $ 25 Mon to Friday!

Regarding chains, a couple of weeks ago I noticed a Ford Focus in the carpark with chains on the rear wheels. ?? Were they fitted by the bloke at the junction?:)

Snowy Joey likes this.
  32. jungfrau

jungfrau One of Us

Anyone there today?

33. Kahanamoku

Kahanamoku One of Us

Ohhh Yeah.... First time 15 years ago we were like: when do we fit chains? so we put them on where the current gate entry is and drove the whole way up at 40/h.... lets just say it had been almost a month since it last snowed and the road was bone dry! ;)

34. Charlie

Snowing fairly heavily just now, and it's sticking!
    :woohoo:

35. priderock

priderock Hard Yards

s

Still going Charlie..? Maybe get you to the Sept school holidays

36. Charlie

With a bit of luck
    Snow forecast down to 600M on Saturday!

37. Charlie

Funniest one I saw was a young bloke and his girl in a new (2nd hand) $WD, who thought he'd put it in 4WD low on a dry bitumen road, and couldn't understand why his engine was straining and overheating!

38. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

BawBaw used a get out of jail free card today.
    Great result given the weeks losses.

39. chriscross

The cams said to go bb today so I drove up through fog and drizzle. Temp hit 0 when I arrived in the top car park and it was snowing. But, as per usual, the mountain weather changed through sleet to drizzle to spitting ice in the next hour. Cover was good, though, with skiable snow from the car park and 50 cm. at the gauge on summit run. Soft, fresh ungroomed snow all over, so it was a bit like lift assisted b.c. but nowhere near as good as FC icing sugar last week. But this was bb.
    After lunch it started snowing again, filling in my tracks on the side of the hut run, just before the spot where the snowboarders had scraped the corner right down to the exposed rocks. Thanks, guys! The clouds were clearing and the sun trying to get through as I left. Tomorrow looks interesting, but it could be busy. Another great day at bb. Get up there.

40. ahronshapiro

ahronshapiro Hard Yards

Can anyone please give us an update from today? It was hard to tell on the cams whether it was raining or snowing. The temperatures looked like snow but when it's that borderline, you never know.

41. mynameisshaun

mynameisshaun Hard Yards

Also hoping someone might be able to give an update on the condition of the hill. Last Tuesday when I was up the cover was plenty good for me....I'm just happy if I can do laps off either side of the Maltese Cross T-Bar all day tomorrow!

42. jungfrau

jungfrau One of Us

Was up at baw baw yesterday. Great spring conditions, cheap ticket and fun day. Weather was warm and sunny with somehigh cloud. At bit sun kissed. Drive home was towards dark sky's

43. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Yesterday (Friday) was a great day, with bluebird conditions. The snow is holding up very well with virtually top to bottom cover. The groomers had obviously done a great overnight job. It must have gone below freezing during the night as the shaded areas in the trees were icy to start with but softened during the day. During the afternoon, it started to firm up so the temps must have been dropping again.

44. ice_man

ice_man One of Us

Last day of lifts turning today, was hoping to get up for the last weekend of the season which I was expecting to be the end of the month. Only found out on Friday, couldn't change my plans so sadly that's it for my skiing this year unless I can work a trip to Hotham or Falls toward the end of the month. Strange that they wouldn't try to keep everything open as long as possible given how great the mountain is looking at the moment (13 degrees already and STILL no holes appearing at the bottom of Tank going by cams!)

45. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Hey Charlie, what's the weather doing today? Report says 60% chance showers and snow,but in the valley it is blue skies!

46. Charlie

Overcast, slight breeze, 3 degrees, shiploads of snow, no punters!

47. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

No Toboggan cam either. Should be up tomorrow for a weekend of snow camping,will pop in and say hi if you're open.I think they should allow the punters free entry,might encourage more visitation.

48. Charlie

Yeh, we'll be open
    I believe gate entry is $17.50 midweek, $24.50 weekends
    It seems a bit tough, but bear in mind they are still clearing the roads, and if as you say there is 60% chance of snow, you wouldn't want to be stranded up here with the road closed!
    Coffee machine will be on :thumbs:

49. gurenkuraku

gurenkuraku Hard Yards

Had a brilliant day at BawBaw XC skiing today - snow everywhere and no-one around! Most trails have excellent cover, untracked slopage everywhere, heaps of snow for turns amongst the trees esp up higher and towards eastern side... even made it out to Phillack Saddle. Melting, but Sunday should be good too.

50. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Great snow camping weekend,fantastic weather,especially Sat night with a full moon.I snowshoed and my mate XC skied,both of us had a great time,shared a wee whisky under the moonlight.Camped just on the other-side of Baragwanath flat,heading towards the Tors.Snow is still very good,nice and crisp in the morning,softening throughout the day.Charlie,where were you?Popped in to say hello on Sun noon and you weren't there,very slack! Gurenkuraku,was that you we saw Sat arvo with companion heading back into BB from NP?If it was,we waved to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.