1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2015 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Richard, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

You should have knocked on the door or yelled out, I was inside!
    :(

2. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Oh seeker of Serenity, what of the new skis? Snoeshoes simply cannot be the same. Was Glen travelling with a Japanese lady? I think our paths may have crossed before.

3. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Oh great one,tried the skis out at MSG a few weeks ago and they were good,although I need to get used to them and transitioning b/w the DH and XC modes,time will tell whether I have made a wise choice or not.Boots had to get blown out.Not confident enough yet to try them and carry a backpack,find the snowshoes more stable.Couldn't tell the nationality of the young lady,too far away.I wouldn't be surprised if our paths have crossed at some point!

4. gurenkuraku

gurenkuraku Hard Yards

Hi Serenity - it certainly was us returning from NP mid-arvo, didn't see you waving though, didn't see anyone all day. But now we know who laid those lone tracks along Village & into NP. Chriscross, you hit the nail on the head - it was Masumi and I plus a Canadian friend.

5. chriscross

Well done for getting out there late in the season; I suspect this week might well be season- ending. Your Canadian friend would no doubt find Baw Baw bc a different experience.
    Hey, serene one, which skis and bindings did you buy? Just interested.

6. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Fischer Sbound pattern base with Marker Kingpin bindings,Dynafit Neo boots. Tried them at MSG a few weeks ago and soon discovered boots needed to be blown out,haven't had time to try them since and probably won't now with snow quickly disappearing.To be honest, it is early days yet to give a good opinion, but they seem to do the job.Boots have a walk mode but not enough flex for telemarking,but the equipment is not designed for that.Changing between the different binding modes is tricky and something I just have to get used to.

7. chriscross

Thanks. I know weerab and Ziggy are happy with Sbound skis for touring. The bindings, from what I can gather, sound more suited to some serious Alpine Touring with steep descents. Not so much of that at MSG. But lots of the hardcore bc guys seem to think the tech boots and bindings (a la Dynafit) are the way to go. Hope they work well for you. Personally, I am very happy with the simplicity of the Voile Switchback bindings where you just slide the switch across with the bottom of your pole. But I don't imagine they give the same degree of d/h control as the Kingpin.

8. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I really didn't think the Fischers were designed with AT bindings in mind, I might be wrong. I too love the Switchbacks.

Enough of this ski talk, must get back to cooking!

9. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

What an excuse! Hiking at BB yesterday on the summit trail and surrounds, and there is still surprisingly deep snow higher up,although softening quickly,especially in this weather.No one around except for a few tobogganers and sightseers.Gate entry was half price but still excessive I think for this time of year.Could still snow camp if I was keen enough but happy just to hike around with the missus.Learn't a lot from my two stints this year,there is nothing like doing it for real and making mistakes.Great coffee in VC! Anyway,must get back to cooking,ha ha!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.