Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
Can confirm it was soft and slow but still great fun. They closed Maltese lift and Champagne run at around 2:30 because the snow was melting so quickly. No grooming apparent anywhere! Dog sled team had trashed the entire summit/village xc trail.
Dogs are very cute, I was very tempted to pat one or two when I Skied past them on Wednesday.
however, they do stuff up the ski track, pity they can't have theirs own designated trail.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Hi gus
This is the first time I am going to snow playing in Australia and we are in Traralgon now
We are looking for some where has snow just to play for one or two hours
Could you please give us an address or name of some villages thats white of snow.?
Thank you
Go to Mt. St. Gwinear for snow play. Hire diamond pattern wheel chains and other gear in Erica on the way up from the Latrine Valley.If you are fit you and can find your way in the snow with winter bush walking navigation skills then Mt. Erica will do the job.Mushroom rocks (1200 M. ASL ) had snow on Tuesday this week and even a moderately fit blind man could find the path up there from Mt. Erica car park.

Reactions: Baw Baw Bear

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
So what you're saying is that Baw Baw is over as a downhill destination, and that it's going to play the role that Lake Mountain used to play, just as Lake Mountain holds the role that Donna Buang used to.

Taken over an extended period: Donna Buang, Lake Mountain, Baw Baw and Buffalo have essentially snuffed it, now extrapolate from that trend...:(
Mt Torbreck and Mt. Erica offer some BC snow shoe adventures for the fit and adventurous low budget snow lover. They are better kept secrets than some other no longer viable 'snow play ' places that are doomed by lower elevation and warmer winters, so I can't complain about how quiet they are in winter.
Mt. Stirling being a 1700 M.+ peak closer to Melb. will soon replace all of the above said soon to be expired ' snow play' locations.

Reactions: Chaeron

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
State government & new BOM & Chair missing in action - in a holding pattern. Unpardonable Negligence.

Sadly they don't get it... You have a minister in melb that could not give a f%^k because they get much better kickbacks at the big 4 .. No problem with that but when non profit clubs that are comparable in size what they can offer are charged 25k per annum at BB in service fees and 12k At Hotham for a similar sized club ??.

BB is not and never will be a Hotham or Buller. The so called family mountain has become a punching bag for gov dept to experiment on what new ways to charge and regulate more aggressively .

Watch this space as clubs struggle to survive with unrealistic costs hand their keys back to management , because the clause states if you close you must return site to natural habitat.. So no alternative.. add to that most clubs are trying to negotiate new leases some applying 2 yrs ago and still waiting .

I have had a bit of a rant ...sorry people I truly love Baw Baw ,and what it provides for the family demographic who possibly cannot afford the big hills ..

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Mt.St.G. and Mt. Erica will always be there and remain undeveloped sub alpine areas within the Baw Baw N.P. That is what matters to me. I am not a fan of ski resorts at all. I just love the mountains and the snow.
I am forever finding ways to do my BC snow activities without having to see a chair lift or a toll booth.

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
Mt.St.G. and Mt. Erica will always be there and remain undeveloped sub alpine areas within the Baw Baw N.P. That is what matters to me. I am not a fan of ski resorts at all. I just love the mountains and the snow.
I am forever finding ways to do my BC snow activities without having to see a chair lift or a toll booth.[/Q

I agree that Mt.St.G. and Mt. Erica should not ever :thumbs:be developed

Serenity

Hard Yards
May 27, 2012
Gippsland
Hi all, can we XC ski St Gwinear tomorrow, is the snow cover looking OK?
According to latest from the Gwinear patrol today, 45cm at the rock shelter with reasonable XC on the upper trails. Unsure how far you have to walk to get there or what the conditions will be like tomorrow.

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
Baw Baw getting some much needed snow love today :D:D

Attachments

• camera5.jpg
    camera5.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 4
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

2ESki

One of Us
Apr 16, 2017
Don't fluff it for us BBBear , after getting excited after the last dump look what happened :cry: .going to try again for this Sunday, hope I haven't just shot the weekend down again o_O

2ESki

One of Us
Apr 16, 2017
Ain't it grand :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: until my daughter said she might have too much homework to go :headbang: so I said pull your finger out and get on with it , look at the cams, we didn't go once to Baw Baw last year as there was never enough snow

2ESki

One of Us
Apr 16, 2017
Are they going to groom drops on the rocks and ridge run by Sat ? it was pretty chopped up on Sunday

euexp

Hard Yards
Aug 5, 2017
This morning I called the ski hire to enquire about XC skis (Skating) , girl answer the phone , she had no clue what I was talking about , didn't know what 'Nordic Skating' is , didn't know about the two disciplines of Classic and Skating. I ask her the brands they have , she couldn't pronounce 'Rossignol'.... bla bla bla
Good Night Irene
:whistle:

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
This morning I called the ski hire to enquire about XC skis (Skating) , girl answer the phone , she had no clue what I was talking about , didn't know what 'Nordic Skating' is , didn't know about the two disciplines of Classic and Skating. I ask her the brands they have , she couldn't pronounce 'Rossignol'.... bla bla bla
Good Night Irene
:whistle:
Which ski hire?

2ESki

One of Us
Apr 16, 2017
What area are you in euexp ? phone "ajays " in Heathmont near Ringwood, they should be able to help :thumbs:

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Had a great day yesterday (Thursday). Good cover. Tank, Hut, Summit & Maltese running. Light snow on and off, and fairly foggy. Briefly cleared to sunshine for a while. I have one gripe, 'though - all the runs were very much in need of grooming! Do Baw Baw do any grooming at all these days? I can recall in times past seeing the groomer out even in the middle of the day if the snow warranted it. So far this year (5 day trips) I haven't seen any evidence of grooming at all! Maybe they don't have any staff capable of driving the groomer any more.

BawBawSkier

Hard Yards
Aug 23, 2011
Maybe they don't have any staff capable of driving the groomer any more.
It's amazing there are any staff left, but they did have someone available on thursday to clear the road down to the Maltese Cross lift, forcing punters to walk on bitumen rather than ski down

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Great day today! A real "bluebird"day. Good cover and, (Yay!!) it had been groomed overnight. The snow softened a little during the day but was still great for a slide. Hope the forecast warmth and possible r**n over the weekend doesn't do too much damage and the first half of next week produces a big top-up. With conditions like today Baw Baw is a great little mountain!

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
And they haven't plowed the road this time :clap: Its great when you can ski from the car park down to Maltese.
Exactly !!! WTF They did not even put that snow to good use, just plowed it down the side. I thought it may have been to top up bottom of champagne run , because it gets chopped up.but noooo. :headbang::headbang: What can i say . that road should have a fence so day trippers can use the road for access and skiers for the Maltese.. My 10 cents:cheers:

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Has definitely been the worst year I have seen with no consistent grooming, and use of 4wd around lodges instead of oversnow vechicles picking up bins ect. No preserving the snow or putting it to good use anywhere. Have they lost a few of the good old staff that had some idea what they were doing?
Reducing the price of lift tickets for the rest of the season is the best thing they have done. Will increase their visitation/popularity.

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
We are all hoping Clubs, Lodges, ect ect . As long as we don't get too much R#$N in the near future and they actually groom it properly , should be ok :cheers: But as you know weather at Baw Baw can be very fickle:rolleyes:

Have they still been making snow when the weather has allowed ?

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
With the new CEO, I had hoped she would make a point of visiting stakeholders and introducing herself. Haven't seen hide nor hair of her. :(
I know mate there is a lot going on behind the scenes , sadly not for the better. She has walked into a shit storm also,
next season will be crunch time for many small non profit stakeholders with site service fees crippling them. We are a bit off topic
But yes a lot of frustration up here :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
I could not find it either on the web page, it showed on Baw Baw's Fb page so i thought we need to promote it ,
you would think they would have this plastered everywhere ??? Cheers
It is quite common to use only one form of media to determine how powerful it can be at getting a message across. If they plastered it on all media, they wouldn't know which one was most effective. This time they picked FB - it has already transferred across to this social media site, so working well so far.
It's quite a good offer by the way!

Reactions: Snowy Joey

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
If temps are negative, lift tickets are free.
Hmm.. What "conditions apply" ? Accomadation booked for a week, maybe ?
Actual worth of lift ticket yesterday (Friday) was about $200. Tyro tree skiers everywhere.
Only complaint was Tank Hill only open 4 pm for home trail. (Guiding a round trip is fun ).
Chains not compulsory on 4WD.
But "Never be in a hurry to go down the mountain"
P1060286.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass