1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2018 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by Richard, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KL.

KL. One of Us

BBB, do you ski here?

2. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

Good memories. Kids loved it. Not far away. You will find that the challenge on ungroomed is to ski so efficiently that you can add some turns.
    Board through the trees is relaxing. Jeep Track depends on unusual snow depth and a keen local to clear it.
    Rarely stay overnight. Same height as Niseko, when the ice age hits it will be magnificent :)
    edit:
    Jeep Track is the old chairlift run. It is not open for skiing, but mountain bikers have found it's 270 meter drop in 1.5 km quite challenging.

#52 bawbawbel, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Snowy Joey and Chaeron like this.
  3. B.C Michaels

B.C Michaels Hard Yards

Went up to Baw Baw on Thursday was pleasantly surprised, summit, tank hill and hut run were groomed very well and the lift tracks were smooth. Heaps of snow for this time of year

Snowy Joey likes this.
  4. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

When it is good it is very very good....
    Noticed that snowmaking area has 10 cm LESS snow than "natural" level. "Natural" level is always pre-rain level, maybe.
    :out:
    Just take notice that the cams are current and plan accordingly. :)

5. KL.

KL. One of Us

sounds like CP

6. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

7. KL.

KL. One of Us

legal stealing... happening alot nowadays, especially by those with deep pockets. it is the american way. be really really really aware when signing anything. due diligence is beyond paramount, nowadays

8. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

You can be as careful as you like when signing - those deep pockets provide a lot of power - 'take me on if you can' mentality!

9. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Re: snow levels last weekend, the gauge half way down summit run actually showed 50cm but this included some heath underneath. There was more like 20-30 cms through the resort, less in heavily tracked places, 35 cms on the picnic table at the summit cairn. Maltese lift opened on Friday, with Champagne run groomed down the left side, Maltese run closed. Snow was softer off piste on Saturday and xc trails were groomed. A great start to the season, but will need a top up soon.

bawbawbel and Snowy Joey like this.
  10. KL.

KL. One of Us

yes, deep pockets allow for and permit legal stealing and bullying which is happening alot... it is fast becoming the worlds way, so it seems, although if you are aware you sort of have a chance. the others do it also, just differently, and can be worse, much worse.

11. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Great day on Thursday! Tank, Hut, Summit, Champagne and carpet all running. Good cover and clear weather:) First day of the season for me. Hope that there are many more to come this year.

12. Darzee

Darzee Hard Yards

Saturday (30/6) 5cm fell overnight which made a nice soft cover, was the first down champagne for the day and was superb. From midday a strong wind blew through with a decent fall of snow. I ended up calling it around 3 when a real thick fog set in. Hopefully maltese will be opening soon, it needs a good groom to cover over some bald patchs. When i asked a patroller about opening Painted the answer was when they get another 1000 people they might :D

bawbawskier77 likes this.
  13. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Great day up at Baw Baw today, very crowded with day trippers but not many made the lifts. Nice snow conditions on piste

2ESki likes this.
  14. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Has anyone been out on the trails in the last couple of days? Looking at the cams, the snow is not great, but expecting more this weekend. Was hoping to pop up there on Sunday if weather and conditions reasonable.

15. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

Been a solid day of snow today at baw baw. Road has been closed a fair few times with some heavy snow showers passing through.

Tomorrow’s report will be interesting...I am calling 30-35 fresh up top and 20-25 down the bottom but groomer has been out packing it down so will be hard to get a gauge.

2ESki and Snowy Joey like this.
  16. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

While much of southern Vic, yesterday was under a thick cloud blanket, Baw baw was bathed in brilliant sunshine all day, a real bluebird day. Great cover, firm but a bit icy in shaded areas and remained so all day. Moderately crowded with school holiday people but lift lines were not too bad. A great day all round!:)

bawbawskier77 and Snowy Joey like this.
  17. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

Home after 7 dayson mountain. 3 days of whiteout/snow/pissle followed by 4 days sunshine.

Awesome fun skiing with the kids and some time misbehaving in my own. Highlight being my little girl sking down champagne in unaided for the first time...very proud dad!

Conditions pretty good coniditions with more snow up top then reported. For 10cm reported not a lot of cover opening up by the end of the day, makes me thing the 10 is very well packed.

Snowy Joey and Froff Life like this.
  18. Darzee

Darzee Hard Yards

Saturday (14/7)
    Beautiful blue skies in the morning but changing to deep fog. Very nicely packed snow thats been extensively groomed, especially over hut and westwood. Today is the first day all 7 lifts have been open at the same time! But painted is super patchy and icy at the top so i doubt they'll keep it open for long. As usual, Champagne is the best run for the day

bawbawskier77 likes this.
  19. Snowy Joey

Snowy Joey One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Wow painted open! Amazing.

20. jez01

jez01 Hard Yards

Hey all,

Headed to baw baw on Sunday for the first time, only skied Buller a few times, just after some advice on what runs would be good for me. I usually ski the easier blue runs at Buller, what’s good at baw baw?

Also does anyone know if uni students can get the cheaper student ticket on weekends??

Thanks for all the help!

21. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hope you can ride t-bars!

jez01 and 2ESki like this.
  22. Snowy Joey

Snowy Joey One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Baw Baw is mostly green and easy blue runs. You will be fine if you enjoy Buller. As said above hope you like tbars and poma’s. As for student discount I don’t think so but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

jez01 likes this.
  23. jez01

jez01 Hard Yards

I’m a fast learner.. ;)

Thanks for that, fingers crossed then!

Snowy Joey and Froff Life like this.
  24. chriscross

Wicked Wednesday is the mid-week discount ticket. I fear you will be up for full price on the week-end. But tomorrow might be worth it. Be early!

Snowy Joey likes this.
  25. jez01

jez01 Hard Yards

First time at Baw Baw on Sunday, was a good day! Had a late start (mates had a big saturday night..) but the sun came out making it super nice. Cover was good on summit, hut, maltese and champagne, didn't experience much ice at all, and managed not to stack it on the t-bar how good!!!!!

Snowy Joey likes this.
  26. chriscross

Very good conditions over the last 2 days at the little mountain. Icy and fast first thing (why no grooming on Summit or Champagne was beyond me) but the surface softened up around the middle of the day and made for more relaxed skiing/sliding. Maltese run was great on new fast skis, soft surface much more user friendly than rock hard ice. Surprised to find the xc trails groomed and untracked yesterday so could not resist the call to explore left off summit to 5 ways, right at village, round Mcmillans ( with a detour through the trees towards the bottom), then left. Someone had made tracks across the flat and up the Tors trail so I had to follow up to the first ridge and then back through the trees, just a little bb backcountry excursion but it does reward the effort. Very few people about mid-week, well worth the trip.

Snowy Joey likes this.
  27. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Excellent day yesterday. Generally sunny with a bit of cloud. A bit hard and icy early on, but softened a bit later. I noticed that the snow factory was spitting out little flakes of ice onto a big pile. There is another pile near by. I wonder if they actually spread it out onto the slopes or just leave it in piles to impress visitors. A little OT, but I've noticed that the snow factory snow is not as white as the natural or fan gun stuff. It sort of has a slightly cream colour. Anyone know why?

28. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Recycled sewage?
    :out:

2ESki likes this.
  29. chriscross

Still smells like that in a couple of places. Those plumbers...

30. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

No howling Huskies to be seen? BTW, I saw a fantastic miniature Husky last week in the doggy park at Altona. turned out it was a Husky/Pomeranian cross, a lovely looking dog!

31. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Friday week ago it smelled of sewerage along road outdide pub. Not good for a resort.

I was told the ice machine uses salt so maybe thats the reason for being off white?

I asked staff why BB arent making ‘real snow’ from fan guns.

I was first given the same old high hum, excuse which I guesd is a fair part of it.

Digging further I was told thete may be a water (supply/use) issue. So maybe all of the BB water licence is consumed by ice machine leaving nothing for guns - not even on those occasional -3c hi potential nights.

Anyone know more on this?

32. BawBawSkier

BawBawSkier Hard Yards

Seeing as the fan guns used to empty the snowmaking tanks in one night, that theory makes sense, but dont expect an admission from administration

33. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Never would! Funny its not a just a resort mngment issue unless they've been too slack to request funding for more / bigger tanks. Maybe they haven’t?

Bit of a worry though - just 10-12 guns and they run fry one night? Surely there’s enough water on the plateau for bigger tanks? And a larger licensed volume per night? No?

34. teckel

Vicemergency reporting a non-structure fire atm. No time to find out further details. Noojee & Erica CFA on their way.

35. Charlie

Vehicle fire

36. teckel

Not yours, I hope?

37. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Hope it’s not snow tyers doing another breaking test?

teckel likes this.
  38. snowtyres

snowtyres Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

No braking tests for me today, but I was at MTBB a week or so ago, thanks for thinking of me.
    And by the way the Nokian studded winter tyres on the RMB Toyotas are doing really well. :)

39. grozzy

grozzy Hard Yards

I was up there for the weekend.
    Was plenty of snow on Friday night/Saturday. It got very warm on Sat night and a rain in the early morning turning to snow by lunchtime. Hopefully a bit falls overnight.

I was right there as well when the car fire happened. It was in the morning and it was the front/engine on fire. They tried with fire extinguishers to put it out but it kept on lighting back up. Was quite a scene.

40. jez01

jez01 Hard Yards

Went Sunday again, was snowing all day which made the great conditions even better. Maltese was the best run of the day, plenty of snow. Painted t-bar opened, managed to lose a ski off the ledge near the top and have to get through the trees.. that was fun :confused: Overall, a really fun day, except for putting on chains in the cold! o_O

PS anyone know which black runs are good fun at baw baw??

41. chriscross

Black runs at bb- in name only, probably designated thus because they're narrow through the trees. Slalom, via skier's right from the Hut Run, is probably the best. The Old Hut run seems to be blocked at the bottom by the new snow-making factory. "La Descente" is a short, narrow chute which connects back with the Summit run right near where the xc trail re-enters the resort. But in good conditions, Maltese Cross is probably the best skiing at bb IMO. Heard a rumour some wicked snowboarders take a straight line under the Painted T bar but it's just a rumour. You did well to get the fresh on Sunday.

jez01 likes this.
  42. jez01

jez01 Hard Yards

Thanks for that, will definitely give them a go next time. Haven't been on every run but I really like Maltese!
    Yeah that was super good, super soft. Didn't bring a mask though, face was hurting..

43. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Hiya Cx, any sign of real snowmaking CX?

Perhaps not needed?

I note a few nights of <-2c this week & no explicit word?

Fwiw: While the ice machine seems effective in situ it seems little help to the higher areas, outer trails like around Maltese x. I guess thats a lot to expect from one machine?

But its disingenuous for mngmt to say high humidity every night even the cold ones!

44. chriscross

Hi SG. No snowmaking higher than halfway down summit. But I understand one of the technicians was injured in the recent snowmobile theft incident. So limited expertise and limited grooming skills also, as I was led to believe last week when nothing was groomed on Thursday morning. Not sure if it's just new management teething issues or staffing arrangements. Still enjoy the little mountain.

45. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

That's terrible to hear! Would really shock all the staff and their families & friends. And for gain? Crazy!

But I worry for the viability of the resort if there's so little knowledge and back up - in average winter some staff must take some leave?? It's not the way to run the place - in my limited knowledge. But maybe it's a number of factors? Good thing the snowfalls are hanging in there.

Glad you had a good time too! Ol Bawbs was skiing very nicely a couple of weeks ago.

46. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

best black run at BB is the old chairlift 'run' south off next to the VC....last time i went it was getting pretty overgrown though.....

Chowder11 likes this.
  47. chriscross

No longer a designated run, that one, but I have heard people reminisce about it. Also heard tales of skiing down the road to the old ticket box site ' back in the day' - must have been a good dump for that.

48. mr

yes i know, i jest. apparently summit to old ticket box down the road was one of the longest 'runs' vert-wise in aust (1500m - 500m-ish)

49. mr

just dont seem to get the big southerlies or east coast lows bombing on gippsland the last 5-7 years eh

maybe when gippsland floods again......

50. djam

djam One of Us

we used to ski down the road at night, with candles in tins on some corners, to the
    bottom of the chairlift :)

That was before parking up top, the road was not used much in winter back then.

mr likes this.
  51. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I remember skiing under the chair to the load station. We had a year 8 school ski trip there which was a bumper year for Baw Baw. Would have been late 90s.
    That run under the chair was a great super fun decent pitch and length run.
    Pity BawBaw doesn’t get much snow these days, it’s an awesome little hill for Beginners and experienced skiers could kill a day there easily and be sastified (just a day)

mr likes this.
  52. Charlie

You need to take a machete!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.