1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2019 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

Welcome to 2019

2. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

2019 looks like a new general manager, but who?

3. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Wouldn't need to be much!

4. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

I don't normally visit snow resorts in the off season, but about a month ago I said to my wife how about we go to Baw Baw and I will show you the South Face Road. She only knew the tourist road from Noojee. We went the old road first (made me realise how much easier the South Face Road is!) and came home via SFR, Erica etc.While there we were just wandering around the resort, taking a few photos (seemed weird with no snow!), a lady and a fellow, came along and struck up a conversation with us. She had a name badge on and I suddenly realised that she was Sally, the new manager. Not sure who the fellow was. When she found out that I'd been skiing there for over 36 years she asked lots of questions about how the place had changed over that time, then started to ask about what I thought was needed for the future. As is often the case, there were lots of things that I should have said, but didn't think of them until we were on our way home, but I mentioned sealing SFR, a chairlift for either Summit or Maltese, and connection to the grid. She said it was very doubtful that Baw Baw would be connected to the grid and she was working on getting funding for an upgraded on-resort power station. She said that sealing SFR was a priority but that it may be a couple of years before work commences. She also said that a chairlift was also a priority, but there was a lot of work needed to make that happen. So, interesting conversation and as I said, lots of things I should have said, but she seemed keen to see Baw Baw continue and progress forward.:)

5. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

As far as I know Sally is only acting in that position, but judging by her answers nothing is going to happen in the short term, and long term will depend on funding, so dubious again.

6. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

New General Manager for Baw Baw, Mr Mark Turner. Don't know much about him yet but I believe he has already started.

7. Xwing

Xwing One of Us

8. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Mountain bike jump - inflatable landing pad.

9. Charlie

Big mountain bike events this weekend!

10. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not sure I would like to land on an inflatable device with a bike - lots of sharp or pointy metal bits like handle bars and brake levers impacting with significant force! I guess they know what they are doing?

11. Charlie

?????

12. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Noticed that being used last weekend. The mattress was inflated and guys were lined up top and bottom.

13. Charlie

Sounds like the local knock shop!

teckel likes this.
  14. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: 30 Day

Beautiful day for a drive in the new car and lunch in the hills with your mate (he works hard and it's nice to spend the day together)

New 80kmhr speed limit is too low for performance cars in a lot of spots. A spirited stab of the throttle and it's big fine or licence gone, even at low levels of spirited driving. Should be 100 with more warning / caution signs e.g. speed limit 80 if you are not confident or experienced or whatever

Village cafe makes a mean hokkien noodle. Felt the stoke and vibes amongst everyone there today

Amazing weather for hiking; planning an AAWT trip within the next 2 years. April - May seems like a great time imo

Snow factory going to work

MarkV, Jacko4650 and Snowy Joey like this.
  15. Charlie

Baw Baw has finally appointed a new General manager
    Andrew Tingate
    It sounds as if the Board has at last picked someone with actual snow experience!

16. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Transport at Buller I believe, if you consider that snow experience, otherwise his credentials sound very similar to the previous GM.