1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2019 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

Welcome to 2019

2. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

2019 looks like a new general manager, but who?

3. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Wouldn't need to be much!

4. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

I don't normally visit snow resorts in the off season, but about a month ago I said to my wife how about we go to Baw Baw and I will show you the South Face Road. She only knew the tourist road from Noojee. We went the old road first (made me realise how much easier the South Face Road is!) and came home via SFR, Erica etc.While there we were just wandering around the resort, taking a few photos (seemed weird with no snow!), a lady and a fellow, came along and struck up a conversation with us. She had a name badge on and I suddenly realised that she was Sally, the new manager. Not sure who the fellow was. When she found out that I'd been skiing there for over 36 years she asked lots of questions about how the place had changed over that time, then started to ask about what I thought was needed for the future. As is often the case, there were lots of things that I should have said, but didn't think of them until we were on our way home, but I mentioned sealing SFR, a chairlift for either Summit or Maltese, and connection to the grid. She said it was very doubtful that Baw Baw would be connected to the grid and she was working on getting funding for an upgraded on-resort power station. She said that sealing SFR was a priority but that it may be a couple of years before work commences. She also said that a chairlift was also a priority, but there was a lot of work needed to make that happen. So, interesting conversation and as I said, lots of things I should have said, but she seemed keen to see Baw Baw continue and progress forward.:)

5. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

As far as I know Sally is only acting in that position, but judging by her answers nothing is going to happen in the short term, and long term will depend on funding, so dubious again.

6. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

New General Manager for Baw Baw, Mr Mark Turner. Don't know much about him yet but I believe he has already started.

7. Xwing

Xwing One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

8. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Mountain bike jump - inflatable landing pad.

9. Charlie

Big mountain bike events this weekend!

10. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not sure I would like to land on an inflatable device with a bike - lots of sharp or pointy metal bits like handle bars and brake levers impacting with significant force! I guess they know what they are doing?

11. Charlie

?????

12. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Noticed that being used last weekend. The mattress was inflated and guys were lined up top and bottom.

13. Charlie

Sounds like the local knock shop!

Mister Tee on XC Skis and teckel like this.
  14. hongomania

hongomania One of Us Ski Pass: 30 Day

Beautiful day for a drive in the new car and lunch in the hills with your mate (he works hard and it's nice to spend the day together)

New 80kmhr speed limit is too low for performance cars in a lot of spots. A spirited stab of the throttle and it's big fine or licence gone, even at low levels of spirited driving. Should be 100 with more warning / caution signs e.g. speed limit 80 if you are not confident or experienced or whatever

Village cafe makes a mean hokkien noodle. Felt the stoke and vibes amongst everyone there today

Amazing weather for hiking; planning an AAWT trip within the next 2 years. April - May seems like a great time imo

Snow factory going to work

15. Charlie

Baw Baw has finally appointed a new General manager
    Andrew Tingate
    It sounds as if the Board has at last picked someone with actual snow experience!

16. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Transport at Buller I believe, if you consider that snow experience, otherwise his credentials sound very similar to the previous GM.

17. Charlie

Far better qualified than the last fiasco!

Andrew comes to us as an experienced and strategic venue manager who has held various senior leadership roles within the sport, event, recreation, tourism and hospitality industries. Over the last 13 years he has managed public sector businesses in Queensland, including as the manager of national park gateway visitor centres and residential outdoor recreation venues. These appointments have had a strong focus on business planning, conservation advocacy, curriculum linked education programs, leadership, community engagement and delivering public sector value.

He also worked for 5 years in Queenstown, New Zealand as Manager of a council owned events centre. Andrew’s private sector experience includes destination marketing for hotels, resorts and transport services at Mt Buller, including the development of all-inclusive packages in both the white and green seasons.

He has a strong community sport and recreation focus, having worked with a number of member based organisations in the Victorian ski industry and university sport sector. Andrew has been recognised as a Safety Champion for his work on developing emergency management plans and is credited as the author and creator of Snowsafe – Alpine Safety Booklet. He holds a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration and a Bachelor in Arts in Recreation management.

18. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It's on

mr likes this.
  19. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Communication breakdown at BB. Rang them yesterday: accomm available, road is being cleared each morning, no worries. Checked website at 7.55 a.m. this morning. All good, even claimed one lift would be running (Hut run platter). So drove up, planning to stay the night. 11
    o'clock at the Junction- sign says "Resort Closed". The young man on road duty said that their Facebook page had announced the closure. Pardon? Not the official web page? I suggested he might inform the new resort manager that communication was poor. He said, oh that guy doesn't start until July. Oh, bb! Anyway, I drove around the SF road to St Gwinear. Outback was good until the snow got to about 18 inches deep, just before the MSG carpark. Fitted chains and got to the top. 2 Parks Vic guys came down trail with an aluminium ladder. What were they up to ? Checking the Leadbeaters possums. Great snow but poor vis near Summit so turned around and skied down 2.5 km through fresh dry fluff back to the car park. No-one about. First ski, May 30th 2019.
    I suspect a lack of staff so early in the season but better communication would help.

#19 chriscross, May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  20. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Facebook! What about the 60-70% folks who barely touch the thing! Surely the official web site is king? No?

Lovely mtn but Bawbs is often patchy in the Comms dept.

Glad you got to the snow XC - sounds like quite an adventure?

As of MSG - you hope PV hit their straps and manage the place this year. I know state govt run them very lean but let's face it. If you don't like they way they manage one city or one coast park one can usually drive 20-30 mins to another. When it comes to snow (day NP visits), if PV stuffs up, then it's a long, long drive to the next (cheap) day NP with snow. If At all?

Perhaps we all need to pressure the relevant minister or regional PV director? That why they the big bucks?? Isn't it?

nezumi likes this.
  21. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

But no experience running a ski resort. This has been the downfall of more than one manager, but we can only wait and see. The last one also had many espousing similarly.

22. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

Noted. Turned fiasco to fun. Well dun
    tenor.gif

23. ranine

ranine First Runs

No resort entry fee til next Monday 10/6. Found on website, confirmed with staff given chriscross's post.

Went up on Saturday with my touring gear. The old snow cover was near complete and should make a good base for this week's snow.
    XC trails had the occasional missing bits where water runs underneath, with skiiable 30-60% sides. No grooming yet. The pole track to Gwinear had full coverage even crossing the marsh. Hills were tricky with the combo of the trail-chute and hard snow, will be much more forgiving now.
    DH runs were thin uphill, but still enough for the new stuff to stick around. Painted-T bar looked bare, may take more falls to get it usable.

Roads:
    Tourist Rd is structurally good. The roadside tree litter is bringing clear asphalt to less than passing width in fair stretches from Tanjil Bren on, had a few corners where I came round to an oncoming car in the middle of the road.

South Face Rd is in great condition. Only noticed one set of puddle ditches, no washboard except for the hills in the last quarter. A few small trees hanging over the road on the uphill side, but only one at roof level.

24. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I am in the dubiously fortunate position of taking a redundancy effective July 1, so I am looking at making a couple of sneaky trips to Baw Baw mid week, given the Vic resorts' new promo of www.yourmidweeklift.com. Just need a few others to make the travel cost / resort entry worthwhile.

Edit: apparently the promotional site, for Victorian resorts, targetted at Victorians / Australians.... doesn't use a .com.au domain?

#24 nezumi, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  25. chriscross

Think I will go up tomorrow.

nezumi likes this.
  26. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

Any road condition reports? Looking at going tomorrow also

27. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Communication breakdown is accurate.
    On their website's opening weekend page, it says to book your resort entry and lift passes online. Go into their eStore, and you can't select lift passes in June - it's just not an option. Email guest services: "We don't put lift passes up on the website for off-peak times, they have to be purchased in the resort. Great, so why does your website tell me to buy them for opening weekend?

Same difficulty for the midweek tickets I mentioned above - except that, apparently, this offer isn't valid during the school holidays (not mentioned on the website) and, according to their eStore again, lift tickets for Wed July 3 are priced at the weekend rate of $80, rather than the weekday rate of $55 (or the discounted midweek price of $35?).

I really want to support Baw Baw as the scrappy underdog, but they don't make it easy.

snowgum and Bogong like this.
  28. snowgum

Hi Newumi,

Sounds extremely frustrating. Bawbs will lose a lot of good will & customers if they keep misinforming people each year. The early snow should be a boon to the resort - all of them in fact. But instead they're more or less telling people we can't get our **** together, so perhaps go elsewhere until we do!

It's hard to know where to start with fixing Bawbs - definitely need good procurement advice and then purchase /develope a good WORKING we site, with on- line sales, snow & lift info, cams that work through the summer etc....

One wonders whether being Govt' owned they just buy the cheapest of everything, then they're puzzled when it doesn't work. It sounds like there's little pre-seasonal stress testing of these systems - perhaps some clever person from this forum could help them out.

Either way, I now have 3 days to get accurate intelligible info from Baw Baw or I'll take my custom to Lake Mtn & do dome cheaper XC. It looks their systems may actually work this weekend?? ( ;-/)

Goski, Bogong and nezumi like this.
  29. chriscross

Drove up today, road open and clear. Clouds and misty drizzle but not raining at the top carpark. 1 degree. Skied up the summit (xc) trail. No sign of other tracks but presume Monday's snowfall filled them in. 35cm on the table at the summit cairn. Not much view at the lookout. Some tracks from other skiers went off through the trees beyond the summit. Thinking, who are these guys? I've wondered about skiing from summit trail through the trees down to McMillans but it looked like these guys did it. Just my tracks in fresh snow down to 5 ways junction, then a short ski up to Maltese cross and Champagne. A snowboarder's track was clear down Maltese. A la Mallory, I had to ski down the top 2/3 of Champagne run "because it was there" but I soon discovered that tele turns in 30cm of heavy, wet snow were way different from the lovely dry fluff of last week. And very different from the groomed slopes of Akakura in Feb. Skied back up for lunch in my "private" hut. Cruising down through the trees by the Hut run, I came across Luke, the hard core snowboarder who had driven up from Geelong and was hiking for his turns. Good meeting, well done. Skied down through the trees by Hut, then hiked back up for one more before cutting across to summit (dh) run. Stayed under the lift to avoid the groomer. After a coffee, I went back out up the home trail and down T Hill, then Latrobe trail, before it gets stuffed up by the dog sleds, and met Rick Ross and friend, who had been out to Gwinear and back on super modern touring gear. Really nice to meet up and compare notes. A great day's touring. Hope the season lasts.

#29 chriscross, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    nezumi and snowgum like this.
  30. snowgum

Sounds like good fun CX. Great fun almost having a 'whole' (small) field to oneself.

Now if only Bawbs could confirm what lifts are operating this weekend, nominate a price and then miraculously sell me one, I might even take the family!

nezumi likes this.
  31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Can anyone advise as the whether Mt. St. G. would be worth the drive , for some XC skiing this Sat. ?

#31 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  32. snowgum

I haven't been up but short of a Friday report from PV, I'd suggest a fair - good xc cover at BBaw would indicate a ski at MSG would be worthwhile. One does start ~170m lower at the latter so it will start more marginally.

Perhaps also look at Lake Mtn Car park reports and cams as an additional guide? Closer in height but much further away.

33. chriscross

Free entry at bb this w/e but it will be busy. Higher than Msg base as Snowgum says, so snow is likely to be better but if it has rained at all today then it might be slushy. Can't see anything on website about which lifts might be running but would guess the Hut and maybe part of Summit? It was wind scoured and icy up the top there yesterday. Hope it's a fun opening w/e for everyone who makes the effort.

34. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

They were promising that the Hut run would be a guaranteed open before the recent snowfalls. Whether that promise is upheld depends on no rain, as you say.

35. snowgum

Spoke to staff today:
    Tickets will be $80 Adults; $50 kids; $200 families. No info on lifts over phone!
    Need to call info line pm tomorrow!

Personally, I think its over-priced for opening weekend. Esp. With little assurance that most runs will be available.

Unlikely that xc trails will be groomed - so they can ‘concentrate’ on opening alpine skiing areas’. (Great guys!)

The lack of online info is icing on the cake!

Thinking I may go xc - probably elsewhere!
    And I’m not sure The resort really cares??

Chaeron and nezumi like this.
  36. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

Poor organisation, that place has more snow than most resorts atm. Seen it first hand yesty.
    Only one groomer out, (do they have more than one?) more Malaysian tourists than staff setting up

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If there is some half decent snow cover, enough to XC ski and no gate fee, then BB could be the plan on Sat.. Once one skis out of the village environs it can be rather pleasant out that way for a plod on BC XC skis.

38. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I'm tempted to go there and just hike the resort rather than use the lifts. $80 for opening weekend is a bit of a laugh - I am going to Buller in late August and paid $66/day for lifts.I might wait until July and go midweek for the $35 lift tix, if I can find someone to go with to split the entry costs.

39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Hike? :-0 . Have you heard of Nordic skiing ? ;-P .

40. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I have, but I haven't heard of Nordic Snowboarding :p

41. Mister Tee on XC Skis

What about split boarding?

42. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

That would mean buying a splitboard and associated gear. I fully intend to do that in the not-to-distance future, but in the mean time if I am looking to spite Mt Baw Baw for charging mid season lift ticket prices on opening day, hiking is what I have to work with.

43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Hire some Classic or BC XC skis, boots and poles and see how far you get. You could do worse.

nezumi likes this.
  44. snowgum

Not a bad idea: I have somewhat reluctant 10 y old lad who is not a bad alpine skier (upper green/ easy blue) but quite reluctant to xc (does do under protest).

So as much as I enjoy 40 cm snow on BB XC trails - if they're up groomed and lumpy I may only drive the lad away from the sport.

So I'm thinking I'll check out the LMtn report. Nicely groomed Echo flat etc... (if) might be the best way to encourage more trips.

And we have a couple days on lifts at Hotham in July hols so QB is really not a deal breaker - it's usually a bushwalk!!

45. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Baw Baw, the home of wonderful communication!

From the website: https://mountbawbaw.com.au/opening-weekend

46. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Entry to BB is free tomorrow . :)

47. TheFake

TheFake One of Us

You have now :p

nezumi and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  48. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

BB at present are planning to have only 2 lifts open ?? You would think trying to open all the lifts if possible to capitalise
    on the best season start for many years.

nezumi and Rick Ross Da Boss like this.
  49. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Especially given the likelihood of losing most of the coverage in the next week. I am reaaaally hoping that they decide to open more lifts tomorrow.

50. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

They have had all lifts open with a lot less snow , lets hope they do, It would benefit the Visitors and the stakeholders alike.
    Perfect promotion opportunity, management should be all over social media ?? Frustrating to say the least.

Bogong likes this.