1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2019 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just heard first hand report that Summit t-bar was running to the top last Wednesday; wish I had known this. Midweek price, too. Ok, so it's mostly flattish terrain after the first drop, but a fun place to get your ski legs working early in the season. Fingers crossed it's a goer next week although that system is not looking so promising.

2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Did they take the snowcams from Lake Mountain?

Baw Baw's toboggan run looks like a disgrace for the school holidays! :(

nezumi likes this.
  3. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

Is there such a thing as soft artificial slope material?
    Anyway, spare a thought for Mt Baw Baw in NSW.
    Looks like the season is over there. Remember that apparent temperature does not apply to snow, only naked people. :(

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/au/14-day-weather-trend/new-south-wales/mt-baw-baw

Attached Files:

#153 bawbawbel, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  4. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

If only it was August 1977 :( Scan 16.jpeg

5. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Yes if only, <SIGH!>. Those 'were'

Still, Climate Change was only just getting into second gear back then. Now we're over a degree hotter than the long term ave (46-76)?; we have much fewer rain days in the SE now inc. winter.

On a positive note: we are "lucky to have a ski season" at all in this hot / dry old land.

(Does that help)?

6. teckel

What's the go now with grooming at BB? I've heard on the rumour mill that LM's groomer is out of action while they wait for a part to come from Europe. I mean, really? Both resorts affected? Or have they taken parts of LM's groomer to fix BB's groomer?

#156 teckel, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  7. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

"Big Hill open" !!
    OK. Let's use it up !

8. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

It's disgraceful if that's true - robbing 'Peter to pay Paul' - and if that's the case, a sure sign of govt underfunding and / or poor resort management.

But in my opinion Groomers seem to break down too often in Aussie. We appear to keep them running past their normal shelf life and then battle repair and find parts (apparently - it's not like resorts would admit this!)

Perhaps 'age' is a major reason why BB's XC trails so rarely get a decent groom theses days. This a sad state of play for XC skiers: as not only does grooming make skiing for learners more accessible, and improve the experience for all, it also reverses some of the damage from increasing nos. of walkers and improves the snow longevity / resistance to sun and rain.

But why should LMTN have to pay the price?

Perhaps by the end of season we should be asking the Resort Boards & Environment Minister for an explanation. In fact all stakeholders should be demanding SH meetings with resort managers - both in nearby valleys and in Melbourne - so all users can vent their frustrations!

9. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Too bad for the stakeholders and customer lost revenue. They shut the road almost every snowfall ?? never used to happen ahhh the madness continues.

10. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Perhaps BB needs a new (lower gradient) road that's fit for purpose - Ie. winter snow!

Next thing they'll say patronage / revenue was down!

11. teckel

I'm not saying that's the case. I'm just asking the question.

12. Goski

Goski Addicted

If they are doing this nutty thing are they running several 4wd hiace resort shuttle vehicles with roof storage to get punters and their gear up the hill quickly?
    Also where are all the cars able to park at the bottom? Not much space from memort. Do they just have to be parked down the roads? There are road safety, catering supply, snow etiquette and snow safety issues that come from marketing to lots of first-time snowplayers, some of whom rent skis and proceed to bomb down runs unable to stop or turn. Nearly punched a guy out for going that past my kids. The newbies have no alpine driving experience (some have little driving experience full stop) in contrast to returning skiers/boarders and the management don't serm to have made plans to mitigate the issues.
    On the plus side we people with 4wds qill get nice parking spots but I'm concerned that AWDs like subarus won't be allowed up with chains on. Common sense is absent at dear old Bawbs.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  13. Goski

Goski Addicted

If there was 50cm of base at LM and Bawbs I think we would have rather quiet forums. We'd all be happily busy using it! Baw Baw does need to sort out its road access policy pronto. Getting made to fit chains to our Forester last year to drive in 2cm of slush was annoying. Being stopped from doing that in a 2WD with chains this weekend would really suck for those drivers. This kind of "management response" turns me off returning to Bawbs.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  14. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Nothing would surprise me anymore sadly.

15. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Poor road management ,lack of equipment and no education/information for the people who are driving up there. They are not aware of driving on narrow winding roads, snow ect. They need to seal south face road and market that route for day trippers or inexperienced mountain drivers. Build larger carparks lower down and have a shuttle i agree, at least then you keep road open and punters spending their hard earned.

16. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

I would say the lack of equipment is not an excuse. Didn't last years GM get the new calcium lifter to get the ice off the road? I also saw the old faithful truck with the big blade back in operation this past week too.

I suspect its more the latter of inexperienced drivers/first time day trippers and external authorities (VicPol) being alittle more conservative than previous years due to the sue on the drop of a hat nature of alot of modern day punters.

17. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

I have heard of no such problems or robbing. BB has two groomers and the only thing impeding their operation has been a lack of snow!

On the benefits of the joint operation i beleive BB got the old small slushie factory from LM this year with LM getting a new big snow factory. Mind you i think BB has spent more fixing the thing then running it!

18. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

Maybe a simple option could be to look at shuttles from surrounding areas that can be used for effective winter carparking. IE: bus in from Erica, Rawson, Noojee etc? Maybe they could ask the current Buller Bus line guys how not to do it...or just ask the new GM how to do it?

Baw Baw Bear likes this.
  19. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

20. ARitchie

ARitchie Early Days

Im heading up tomorrow, hopefully its 4WDs with chains still, so I can have the resort to myself :p

21. Goski

Goski Addicted

ALL vehicles now? Wonder what the reasoning was when this decision was made this morning...the light dusting overnight must have formed a formidable ice layer that 4WDs with chains can't overcome (tic - it's not likely). Maybe a tree came down or a 4WD with chains crashed?

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

Next we will see notification like the following:
    All vehicles with chains including 4 x4 are not allowed to come near the ski resort because there is snow and ice in the area.(Irony and sarcasm alert). HELICOPTERS are excepted.

Baw Baw Bear likes this.
  23. ARitchie

ARitchie Early Days

[​IMG]
    Ahh classic Baw Baw drivers...

24. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

I suspect this is and several others are the cause of the road closures....

25. ARitchie

ARitchie Early Days

Yeah, no road proper clearing at all meant there was about 10cm of snow on the whole road. People slipping with chains on the way up because they had no momentum. 1hr queue to get out the top carpark because of crashes.

26. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Great day yesterday (Friday) First day of the season for me this year. Easy drive up, not fitting chains. Good cover, mostly continuous with a few signs of thinning. Hut, Tank, Summit and Maltese lifts all running with top to bottom skiing. The snow was a little icy in the morning especially in the shaded areas. Some grooming had been done but on some runs such as Westwood and the upper part of Summit the ride was a bit bumpy. Nice sunny weather with very little wind. Very short lift lines in the morning, but as more "weekend" people started arriving in the afternoon lift lines got a little longer. A very good day all round.:)

Snowy Joey likes this.
  27. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just back from 3 days at bb. Snow was best on Weds, soft and still some fresh stashes out wide on Maltese and in the (roped off) micro sidecountry between hut and summit. Rock hard ice first thing Thursday and almost no fresh overnight, unfortunately. No grooming on upper xc trails. Fun d/h skiing in groomed areas as Oldie's report above explains. But cover will be thinning now with sunshine, North wind and w/e crowds. Needs a top up. Fingers crossed that this week's system brings the goods.

Snowy Joey likes this.
  28. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

29. absentskier

"Please be advised that Resort Road, South Face and Tourist Roads will be closed from 8pm tonight (9/08) and reviewed at 6am tomorrow (10/08) under the advice of VicPol."

30. absentskier

31. Mister Tee on XC Skis

32. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Bit over the top imo.

33. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

I think you will find the decision is outside of the resorts control and made by vic police and Vic roads. Some reports I have heard of is reporting 30cm of snow on sth face road.

The Plowking likes this.
  34. The Plowking

For sure.

35. The Plowking

I guess I just miss the old days of a police free Hill and of towing 2 snowboarders with ropes off the back of a 4x4 between the old bottom and top station!
    Good times :)

36. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Risk absolute vs relative?
    Let's not forget that while yes, there's some risk allowing punters of all skill levels, drive various cars with differing traction ratings, the very same VicPol 'allow' (accept and at times ignore) B Double /Trible rigs to tailgate/intimidate/ overtake drivers of smaller vehicles, (at times) in pouring rain and poor visibility on slick roads on the drive to our resorts.

Now if the state really wants to nana us, let them be even and consistent about, not just apply the scatter gun, approach.

37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Yes, driving up the Hume Hwy to reach Falls Ck. / Hot Ham and Mt. Buffalo is often way riskier than anything that happens on the roads closer to our skiing destinations. That is because of the way huge lorries drive in very wet conditions.

38. absentskier

UPDATE ; Vic Roads are currently assessing the Tourist Road, the advice from them is that they are unlikely to open before 9.30am. The advice from Vic Pol re South Face Road is that it will be assessed at 8.00am and equipment needed will then be bought in for clearing, reopening will be advised when known. The Resort Road and car parks are currently being cleared.

We will provide another update on conditions at 9.00am.

The roads currently remain closed as we await advice from Vic Pol about South Face and Tourist Road. Resort Road and car parks are still being cleared. As soon as we receive information from Vic Pol we will post to Facebook and the website.

39. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Same, but with skiers!

The Plowking likes this.
  40. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Another update
    UPDATE 10/08/19 (11.30am):
    South Face from the intersection of Thomson Rd, Tourist Road from Icy Creek and Resort Entry Road remain closed at the discretion of Vic Pol and for safety reasons. There are a number of fallen trees on roads including the Resort Road.

Vic Pol advise South Face Road is unlikely to open today. Tourist Road will be reassessed through the day.

Resort Entry Road will experience on and off closures due to tree fall and vehicle clearing. Check in with Guest Services and staff at top carpark/resort entry as traffic flow changes regularly.

Please keep an eye on the VicTraffic website: https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/ as well as the resort's website and social media.

41. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Another update

42. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

A curious question for the older members of the forum.

Can you remember when baw baw had a 85+cm storm in 48 hours?

I can’t recall one that big in my 10 plus years, a few 40-50’s but never that big.

43. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

ROAD UPDATE 5.45pm
    Resort Entry and the Tourist Roads are now open to downhill traffic only for guests urgently needing to leave the resort. If you do leave tonight please take care on the roads.

Tourist Road and Resort Entry Roads are expected to reopen to all traffic from 9.00am tomorrow morning. South Face Road is expected to remain closed.

We will provide further updates at 9.00am tomorrow.

[​IMG]

0:00

nezumi likes this.
  44. The Plowking

'95 was a ripper season, not sure about any one big storm like that though.

45. absentskier

Was that the year there was a huge September storm? I remember going there in September around 95 with about a 1 metre base.

The Plowking likes this.
  46. The Plowking

That's the one!
    They had the deepest base of any resort at that point.
    Was my first season on a board after a 4 year hiatus after a mostly skiing in my school years (a week or under a season kind of thing)
    We were up every weekend that season.
    I thought it must be like that all the time so did a season in 96....bad idea snow wise (though good in a wild west kind of way-different era)
    95 was epic -for the level I was at!
    Might take the kids up next weekend. Won't bother riding myself though, I'm bored there after 3 runs...

47. The Plowking

There was half a foot of snow at one of the Neerims on the way up during that event.
    Guess what?!?
    The road was open, couple of trees down but navigable..... and the Kombi got up for first lifts....
    Bit less than this event though.

48. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Hones to god the self-centered assholes on social media this weekend RE the road closures and how it's ruined their weekend need to take their heads out of their asses and get over themselves. No resort purposely closes on such a large and successful snow event by choice. They want you up there, believe me. Yet the way some people were carrying on about it over the weekend made it sound like the resort (and im talking BB and LM to a lesser extent) purposely closed the place so they couldnt get up. There's 40km of tourist road and 25km of south face road that needed inspecting and who knows how many trees cleared, that's 65km of road + 4km of resort road, not something you can do in an hour, or even a day, especially when it's completely covered in snow. Some people truly are the pits.

GS likes this.
  49. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Pick from 1995 and one from yesterday

50. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

And still snowing.