1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2019 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

1. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I have no doubt the road was closed for good reason, trees down being the main one.
    However what is deemed acceptable risk is not what it was in the past.
    I think that really comes down to increased quantity of people and obviously with that increase is more not necessarily having any snow driving experience. It is what it is.
    Baw Baw roads a shocker in those conditions.
    Certainly no use getting upset about closures.

GS likes this.
  2. bawbawbel

bawbawbel Easi Ski..... Ski Pass: Gold

BB Management are doing a fantastic job.
    Fitting their own chains for 5 dollars, excellent. But why does the Indian family at Tangil ask me what to do ?
    Over 7's getting a toboggan license for 10 dollars, good. But running out of "official" toboggans does occur.
    So why does a BB original (after getting his car towed out in the top car park), say to me "it's not like it used to be."
    Here's why:
    Today (Monday) , with a new 30 cm fast becoming unskiable, there was not a single run groomed for my students.
    I like to go up a lift toeside, but being 30 cm to the side of the unrepaired mogul field directly under the lift line last month produced continuous screams of "Stay In The Track !!!!"" ( Reminds me of the edict "No boarder without a safety strap !" not long after the attempt to steal the chairlift by the public servants of OUR government ).
    No home trail available. It would simply involve roping off the unprepared park area.
    Grumble mode off. Keep up the good work, but you need a savy Public Relations Manager.

Bpoos, Baw Baw Bear and Vermillion like this.
  3. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

From my own experiences over the past few years i think the snow side of BB has improved alot. No grumpy lifties all have been very personable.

The front end i have to save is where the mountain lets itself down. So many times i hear guests complain about no body answering the phone or responding to emails. Hopefully a renewed focus on that area will come and pay dividends.

A good dump of snow generally helps moral!

4. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Chairlift would have been very very handy these days with the increased day trippers-imagine the revenue! #cutofftheirnosetospitetheirface!

The Plowking likes this.
  5. The Plowking

South face road gos through the old carpark though.
    I'd wager the road below this point would have been the main issue on the weekend

6. bawbawbel

"Eek ! There is snow on the (flat) road !"

Bpoos and The Plowking like this.
  7. The Plowking

Trees I would have thought.
    But yeah, I get the sentiment

8. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I'm sure Staff are trying hard under very difficult circumstances but a couple of Questions:

- Why can't they post reports before say 9am. This would give locals more chance to squeeze in a cheeky PM ski.
    - can BBaw provide more cams of the actual ski runs - in due course?
    - can staff groom XC trails more often (ESP after fresh snow & before the w/e) and ideally supply occasional patrols or Place a scout at the main xc trailhead to stop walkers from destroying trails?

Also:
    looking good for early Sept skiing this year. Does feel a bit 91' here - very ordinary until end of July then bang! Not complaining.

ARitchie and Skiain like this.
  9. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

Is the ski report done at 6:45 ish each day?

They have added 2 more cameras this year which is a good start and I agree about more cameras and maybe even clean the hutt camera once in a while.

I believe ski patrol has groomed this year when conditions suited.

On placing a scout at the main Xc trail head to stop walkers. I think the problem will be 2 fold.1 the walkers will just find another way round and 2 logic suggests it costs money to have the staff their so then they have to charge Xc skiers to recover that cost and will they pay for it?

10. Brettyboy

Brettyboy First Runs

Just checking when or if champagne will be opened?

11. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Listed as open today on the Baw Baw website.

12. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Needed about half a meter to get going to the bottom 10 days ago, and would have gotten more than that so I would expect it would be skiing well.

13. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Howdy BB77,
    Fair enough your comments.
    Re reporting: perhaps theres a lag feeding into ski.com?

Summit T cam is appreciated & a good step.

Perhaps something on lower Maltese would be a good follow up.

Xc: I haven't skied BB this year, mostly due to the fickle early Season snow.

But imo theres either infrequent xc grooming or infrequent reporting of same.

Now that walkers regularly wreck the base, grooming is more important than ever.

Btw: Is there a volunteer xc ski patrol like other mtns? Pretty impoetant really - & not just to manage walkers!

14. Vermillion

I think they've moved all this since the last time you were up there.

15. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I note its 3 days since the big dump ended, theres 95cm on alpine runs and xc trails arent groomed. So I’m wondering if resort really expect skiers on skinny trail skis to be able to ski effectively.

This is what I mean about xc at least regressing on the little Vic peaks.

16. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

No xc specific ski patrol at baw baw, maybe a few in ski patrol who xc when conditions are right.

An interesting question would be how much would xc skiers pay for a day pass if the trails were groomed?

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  17. Oldie

Oldie Hard Yards

Wow, so much snow! Went up yesterday for my third trip this season. Unfortunately, due to my not checking the relevant websites before leaving home, I was under the mistaken impression that South Face was open. So, big detour needed to be undertaken through Willow Grove, Hillend etc to Icy Creek and thence by the old road. Oh well, I still got about 3 and a half hours of skiing in, and since I'm an old fossil, I get the free "over 70" lift ticket meaning I don't need to worry about getting my monies worth any more!
    BB do really need to get the groomers out more often. The bumps, ridges etc in ungroomed snow are a bit rough on my old joints, but it's still great fun and I hope to be skiing for many more years.
    Oldie

18. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I would be pay a few dollars ($5-10) much like we did on most mtns until ~ 10 days ago.

I mean why drive 400 km rtn from Melbourne to find the xc trails are either unskiable or rubbish? (Footprints/lack drainage/summer maint etc...). But the resort can't expct to take our money and retain the status quo.

Based on my experience up to last year, MBBRM have been gradually washing their hands of xc trail management and indeed, xc skiing. Worse still, staff are perplexed we (oldies, 50+ years) are unhappy with this scenario.

Unforgivable to me, is that MBBRM provides no easy method for us ‘user’ stakeholders to meet and present our views. Why? What are they scared of? They might learn something, provide a better product and increase skier nos. and revenue - which where are told are needed to keep the mtn sustainable.

The alternative to trail charging is to set say 5% of fee for dc skiing, trails, maps, odd patrol etc... like Hotham does & Falls too I guess.

Its another service after all.

But please if you know someone in management, invite stakeholders - esp xc skiers - to a post season meeting(s).

Best to hold off mtn - say Warragul and Melbourne and give lots of notice. Maybe late October while issues are still fresh??

But the resort must engage with its users if its to succeed!

Skiain, Baw Baw Bear and The Plowking like this.
  19. The Plowking

Last year?
    In any case, South face road is further down hill.
    I think the bike trail comes out at the carpark I meant

20. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

Years ago the volunteers used to regularly have a presence on the XC trails, both on skis and also skidoo, but it seems to have fizzled out. I would agree that resort management has definitely lost interest in developing a vibrant XC community, as has Mt St Gwinear, where grooming seems to be a thing of the past. Extremely poor customer service.

snowgum likes this.
  21. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

The best bet could be to get in touch with the mount baw baw stakeholders association. I believe they have a Facebook page if you search them out.

I know some of the stakeholders lodges have a high number of xc skiers so you might be able to see if they are doing any lobbying of the sarmb.

snowgum likes this.
  22. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

The biggest problem is that xc is seen as a very fringe part of skiing and not worth much investment.

They/we are also quite a disparate bunch and meet in large groups to vent anger/frustration or (wow!) demand action (no way!).

Now if alpine-related groups kick up the resort/Government might (just) listen.

Watch this space. See if we can change done attitudes.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  23. Vermillion

That's correct. And the old chain fitting bay 2.

FYI - Chairlift line is now completely unskiable, regardless of how much snow there is. Sads.

24. bawbawbel

Is the Jeep Track now all bike trail ?
    Finish of bike trail. Ambulance waiting.

25. Vermillion

From what I saw you could potential get down there with the 1m snow they had last weekend on 'something' but it wouldnt be any fun at all IE not worth it. Not like in the early 00s just after they'd closed and dismantled it.

The Plowking and bawbawbel like this.
  26. The Plowking

:(

27. grozzy

grozzy Hard Yards

I skied jeep track (charlift line) about four years go. It wasn't easy and there were two trees across the line but it was doable with the right amount of snow back then. I can't say I would do it again!

bawbawbel and The Plowking like this.
  28. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

Hot off the press South Face Road condition update....does not appear to be too bad

Baw Baw Bear likes this.
  29. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Chair line now fully grown over, I remember many moons ago catching the mid station chair back to the top. Awesome run.

The jeep track was insane back in the day , lots of fun and crashes. Fastest runs were skiing village to bottom station, then catching chair back up with Paul Thaw and Bo . Great memories.

The Plowking likes this.
  30. djam

djam One of Us

I remember helping clear some of the chairlift line back in the late 60's. Times have changed.

31. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

32. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

33. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Picked up the Mt Buller news this week and was surprised to see both the Alpine hotel as well as Number 11 Frosti Lane (formerly Kelly's) advertised For Sale. The start of the privatisation of Baw Baw? Anyone in the know?

34. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

They're up to their dirty tricks again. They haven't paid for Kelly's. By selling it in a package wth the hotel i suggest that they are attempting to disguise the true market value of Kelly's - they'll prob say they are chucking in Kelly's for free and pretend it's worth nothing! #muddythewatersagain!

35. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

They did not pay for the other clubs that could not survive, due to enormous costs, poor management
    and still rising. A different form of privatisation. Hopefully the new management will be better, the state government really do need to support small mountains better.

36. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Yep but they are selling this one for a price. If they gain benefit from a building that someone else paid for and improved, they should recompense the contributor - its in the lease documents and legislation - they have bottomless pockets for legal expenses - they don't even have to budget for them!

37. Serenity

Serenity Hard Yards

And how long have we been saying that for? Every time a new management team comes in its always positives initially, then back to the same routine, no true stakeholder or long term visitor involvement. Those who have a true insight and love of the resort simply get paid lip service. If they were serious about advancing the resort, both summer and winter, and linking up with other Gippsland locations, they need a unified strategy that involves everyone with ideas and suggestions that get acted on. Sorry for the rant, I just get frustrated by the continued lack of passion from the powers that be.

38. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

So true !! We bust our chops supporting Baw Baw our club now 54yrs on the hill . Frustrating is putting it mildly.:mad:

39. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

I see your bus tickets and raise you 2 chairlift returns

Vermillion and Baw Baw Bear like this.
  40. Baw Baw Bear

Baw Baw Bear One of Us

Touche...:thumbs:

Charlie likes this.
  41. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

Don’t the lease documents also say that the leasee needs to return the site to its original condition at its conclusion? I think the surrendering of buildings on the land must be some level of agreement (maybe disagreement in some cases)

I have called the selling agent and not so sure it’s being sold....seems to me to be more looking for someone to take on the building to fix up and operate it but who knows....the devil will be in detail which should be available under foi or the annual report?

42. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Nope the lease docs say that if the resort requires the property for the benefit of the resort there is a payment due:) What happened with the ski lifts when they were left behind?

43. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

SARMB is bring very devious (and even more unethical) in muddying the waters - it's about perception and disguise - is it being sold as as bundle to hide the value...

44. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

I just read my clubs last lease and it’s very biased to the mountain..our lease doesn’t talk about the resort paying any money if you leaving the building on the land..it basically says you forfeit it and they can take it or demolish it and send you the bill.

45. Bpoos

Bpoos Hard Yards

Hmmm... what section of the lease document would you be referring to? Would also be interested to learn when were you speaking with the agent for the sale(s)?

46. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

Pm me if you like and we maybe able to trade info

47. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Gee, I'm just glad my ski club doesn't have a stake at BB - as handy as that would be at times!!

It's all seems very cloak and dagger / master & apprentice loaded in the governments favour.

It's almost a miracle that any clubs remain when one learns what's going in with alpine leasing.

No wonder SARMC are reluctant to meet groups of stakeholders - probably scared of the torches, lances and pitchforks?? (Figuratively speaking of course!)

Perhaps if they did and took on board concerns we may have some better outcomes for the mountain and clubs/skiers/businesses?

bawbawskier77 and Charlie like this.
  48. bawbawskier77

bawbawskier77 Hard Yards

Yep fairly true. I also wonder what would happen to the mountain if they were actually given a clear run without interference from above? At times I reckon DELWP has too much control with very little knowledge to back it up.

The interesting thing is that these terms appear in all new leases across all resorts signed after 2002 from what I can see.

49. Vermillion

Interesting to hear you guys talk about the history and politics behind BB, I hadnt skied it since 2004 when the chairlift line + lift up was still an option, but have been back a few times this season as it's a very cheap (relatively speaking) way to get young kids involved in snowsports, plus they dont need a big mountain when they are just learning. From what i've seen it looks like i'll spend the next 3-4 years at BB getting my kids up to speed on the slopes before migrating to a bigger mountain again, so I enjoy reading up about the history of the place. On that note, we spent yesterday up there and without reading the report we would have guessed about 15cms of fresh overnight, and another 3-4 during the day. Snow falling from 600m but not settling until the toll gate due to rising temperatures, although it was -3C in the carpark at the top of the hill. I actually got away from teaching my son for half an hour to have a bit of a poke around, and it's not a bad little hill when there's fresh snow and your tracks are getting filled in (and no one around). It's a bit like a classic small Japanese ski jo. Anyway, FWIW half a day when it's still cold after it's snowed half a foot isnt too bad. My biggest gripe with the place is that for little kids (and my son is 3) it's a long walk from where you're skiing to some place warm inside to get some food and have a relax. No problem for adults or even older kids, but it would be great if at the base area there was somewhere indoors they could go.

50. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold