1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2019 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

Discussion in 'Mt Baw Baw' started by D-eye, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Those detention laws have been on the books for at least three decades, under governments of both main parties, it's just that are only used exceptionally rarely.

However I was surprised to learn that both the states and the Commonwealth had powers on the books to shut down all sorts of businesses and activities without the need to pass special laws, they can effectively do it by decree. I suspect the laws are left over from World War Two, but they haven't been used for 75 years because there hasn't been a need to use them before now.

We live in a liberal democracy where freedom of expression and ideas is assumed by everyone. And 90% of the time, there is an effective parliamentary opposition to whichever pack of drongos that the people have elected into state or federal government.

It's comforting that most (but not quite all) politicians from both main parties have dropped "petty political point scoring" (as Sir Keir Starmer, the new UK Labour Party leader said) and they are working together for the common good. Having these powers on the books is no danger to the liberal democracy and freedom of thought, speech and action we have in Australia and I am totally confident that things will return to our usual dysfunctional normality once "the current malady" has passed and the special powers will never be used again unless we have a really major war or plague.

EDIT. I just realised this is a Baw Baw thread, however did we get onto something like this? Never mind I'll leave it here anyway.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Yes, back to all things Baw Baw like :)

3. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Gotta love a good thread hijack!
    :evil:

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Baw Baw has a dusting of snow today 11.4.20. Their cameras keep working. Even if we all get taken hostage by aliens, It is reassuring to know we can still get a good indication of snow conditions at Baw Baw.
    However the entire Baw Baw N.P. has been closed by Parks Vic. for the foreseeable future due to CV 19 restrictions .
    All Alpine resorts in VIC. have been closed to the public too.

snowgum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.