Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I'm hoping to get up to Baw Baw for at least a couple of day trips this season, either with kiddo for snow play, or for some splitboarding practice.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Is the AAWT volunteer group planning to camp in the Mt Whitelaw area?
We have been advised by the AAWT track clearing organizers from Bush Walking Victoria that due to the wintery weather that is coming very little work will be possible on Sat . or Sunday. In addition to this the organizers have advised those of us who do not live locally in the Latrobe valley to stay at home. I have accepted this advice. @Ramshead is still going because he booked his plane ticket from Sydney. The planned camp site is at Stronarch's camp which is below 1100 M. ASL.
The Sunday forecast for Baw Baw looks like a dawn start on Monday could be XC skiable!.
Mt Baw Baw snow forecast by Meteorologist Jane Bunn

@beefa skiing and I are watching this weather system . I may even camp at East Tyers campsite on Sunday and drive up to Baw Baw early on Monday with ski gear if the snow cameras on Sunday at noon look promising.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Surprisingly good conditions at bb. No chains needed. Drizzle at car park vanished and I headed up under summit t-bar. 20 cm in gauge. Matt had made tracks in front on armadas/skins with shift but his first day on this gear. Jordan joined us on tele gear. Matt was trying to find his friends on Champagne run but had no map (or idea?). We scooted around left (1.5 k ?) and there they were. A run down champagne in softening snow found me out while Jordan showed the resilience and skills that come from having been snowed in (locked down) at Hotham for months (last year). After lunch a run down Tank, another climb up hut and we skied la descent and back down summit. Found a way back to car park despite road clearing and tired legs. April ski. See you again, Jordan.

Last edited:

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
How was it holding up in the afternoon? The cams still looked good at end of day.

I'm wondering if an early morning jaunt to Lake Mountain tomorrow would be worthwhile.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Surprisingly good conditions at bb. No chains needed. Drizzle at car park vanished and I headed up under summit t-bar. 20 cm in gauge. Matt had made tracks in front on armadas/skins with shift but his first day on this gear. Jordan joined us on tele gear. Matt was trying to find his friends on Champagne run but had no map (or idea?). We scooted around left (1.5 k ?) and there they were. A run down champagne in softening snow found me out while Jordan showed the resilience and skills that come from having been snowed in at Hotham for months (last year). After lunch a run down Tank, another climb up hut and we skied la descent and back down summit. Found a way back to car park despite road clearing and tired legs. April ski. See you again, Jordan.
Have you any photos from your April ski trip to BB?

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Didn’t take photos. Just didn’t think about it. Had to stop to adjust “new” tele bindings. Then just in the moment (and trying to catch breath while climbing).

Reactions: nezumi

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
Some painting being done at 'Kelly's? Might open up this season? I wonder who 'bought' it?

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Last I heard, resort management had reclaimed it. But it may have been leased out if that's what you mean by 'bought'. Hope they can do better than the last lot.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Last I heard, resort management had reclaimed it. But it may have been leased out if that's what you mean by 'bought'. Hope they can do better than the last lot.
The same mob who are in charge of managing Lake Mtn. are in charge of running Baw Baw. Snow conditions allowing , It does not inspire confidence in great things taking place for XC skiers.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The same mob who are in charge of managing Lake Mtn. are in charge of running Baw Baw. Snow conditions allowing , It does not inspire confidence in great things taking place for XC skiers.

Unlike Lake Mtn - where a significant minority xc ski and hence receive a passing thought from management, occasionally, XC at BB is an afterthought, an obscure footnote in an annual report?

If BB really cared they would spend some on the trails, especially drainage on the boggy bits, and arrange at a minimum weekend patrols to keep walkers and general tourists off the trails.

If someone broke a leg or anything major, it would be totally up to one’s companions to summon help on the trails. On one hand I believe in self responsibility but on the other, the resort implies some basic services. In these way BB management are a bit cute and certainly stingy.

This is a bit sad - I mean all our snowy mountains started off as touring destinations and only morphed into alpine resorts and runs decades into their development. The roots don’t matter (much) anymore. No bucks in it! :oops:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Unlike Lake Mtn - where a significant minority xc ski and hence receive a passing thought from management, occasionally, XC at BB is an afterthought, an obscure footnote in an annual report?

If BB really cared they would spend some on the trails, especially drainage on the boggy bits, and arrange at a minimum weekend patrols to keep walkers and general tourists off the trails.

If someone broke a leg or anything major, it would be totally up to one’s companions to summon help on the trails. On one hand I believe in self responsibility but on the other, the resort implies some basic services. In these way BB management are a bit cute and certainly stingy.

This is a bit sad - I mean all our snowy mountains started off as touring destinations and only morphed into alpine resorts and runs decades into their development. The roots don’t matter (much) anymore. No bucks in it! :oops:

I agree with your comments.
I have skied Baw Baw's XC trails a number of times. They make a good 10 km morning work out. There are a couple of slightly tricky bits where I test my skills and nerve !.I have never XC skied these trails during the declared ski season. XC skiing from MSG car park to BB village and back is still in my TO DO list .

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I agree with your comments.
I have skied Baw Baw's XC trails a number of times. They make a good 10 km morning work out. There are a couple of slightly tricky bits where I test my skills and nerve !.I have never XC skied these trails during the declared ski season. XC skiing from MSG car park to BB village and back is still in my TO DO list .

Most are cakewalk with heavy duty 75 mm placcy boots and bindings and decent width skis and groomed snow. I even skied around the summit loop once or twice with then young son of 6 / 18 months in MacPac possum.

But remove some these elements, it’s harder - and I don’t ski on NNN stuff!

You’re probably aware, once leaving the wider resort trails, they soon gain difficulty and much better with 75mm cable bindings and big boots and the ability to almost jump turn going down from the Tors. Etc...

All good fun though! ❄️⛷

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Most are cakewalk with heavy duty 75 mm placcy boots and bindings and decent width skis and groomed snow. I even skied around the summit loop once or twice with then young son of 6 / 18 months in MacPac possum.

You’re probably aware, once leaving the wider resort trails, they soon gain difficulty and much better with 75mm cable bindings and big boots and the ability to almost jump turn going down from the Tors. Etc...

All good fun though! ❄️⛷

Actually removing the son and Possum pack it gets easier!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

All good fun though! ❄️⛷
Jump turns on those narrow tracks have me a bit concerned. I start side stepping then. I will get some more lessons early in this season and hope to progress somewhat at plank activities.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Good to see that the Mid Summit cam has finally been de-fogged but it is still at a funny angle. The summit T tower visible in the pic doesn't lean like it does in the pic!:) Good to see that they have cranked up the "slushie machine" with some piles visible on Hut Roll.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Good to see that the Mid Summit cam has finally been de-fogged but it is still at a funny angle. The summit T tower visible in the pic doesn't lean like it does in the pic!:) Good to see that they have cranked up the "slushie machine" with some piles visible on Hut Roll.

yes, ‘slowly, slowly catchy monkey’! :whistle:

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
Was up at Baw Baw last weekend, nice conditions lets hope this continues for the upcoming season:thumbs:

Attachments

• EHj%uQsSQKaoapbfl9lfcQ.jpg
    EHj%uQsSQKaoapbfl9lfcQ.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Baw Baw essentially closed for QBW - no lifts running due to the amount of snow.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Looks like SF Rd is open to the bb turn-off, but not sure why you'd bother. A bummer for the little mountain.

Bb & LM have had some shocking weather/fire-related events issues the last decade or so. Both terribly unlucky although big resorts have had their share too! Then there’s Covid...

But snow-related smalls are terribly unlucky/frustrating- it seems each time they get half decent dump or snow base - a major rain event KOs what’s there.

Sorry to sound negative - I am watching the forecast for the next major complex low & cold front, due about next Thursday (17/6) - Sunday (20/6). It ‘could’ turn into another ECL & rain, it could stay cold and give a modest top up? Watch the FCs through the weak and think positive thoughts.

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Have any locals been to Baw Baw since the storm? Hope everyone is doing OK! Any clues as to when lifts may be running?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Have any locals been to Baw Baw since the storm? Hope everyone is doing OK! Any clues as to when lifts may be running?

I can’t leave Melbourne but I understand the resort was shut due to the storm - mostly trees down, possibly water issues too? But there’s almost no snow post 300mm dumpage. A few swales? Sad!

There’s some snow forecast for Wed-Sat this week. I reckon Bb needs ~ two good weeks of snow without major (~ 50mm) rain - maybe 50cm to get the bigger lifts close to running (Summit/Maltese)

X fingers this week goes half way - maybe to get carpets and Hut or Tank going?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I can’t leave Melbourne but I understand the resort was shut due to the storm - mostly trees down, possibly water issues too? But there’s almost no snow post 300mm dumpage. A few swales? Sad!

There’s some snow forecast for Wed-Sat this week. I reckon Bb needs ~ two good weeks of snow without major (~ 50mm) rain - maybe 50cm to get the bigger lifts close to running (Summit/Maltese)

It was all looking so so good, had me keen to get up there and theeeeeen..... gone.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
It was all looking so so good, had me keen to get up there and theeeeeen..... gone.
Yes I know, sadly I think for the next 3-4 weeks, Hotham & Falls XC will be far superior to anything close to Melbourne. Even Buller/Stirling can’t escape these rain events.

Sometimes 1 or 2 decent (longer Dist) weekends are more satisfying than weekly jaunts to ski 10-20 cms of mush/chop?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Yes I know, sadly I think for the next 3-4 weeks, Hotham & Falls XC will be far superior to anything close to Melbourne. Even Buller/Stirling can’t escape these rain events.

Sometimes 1 or 2 decent (longer Dist) weekends are more satisfying than weekly jaunts to ski 10-20 cms of mush/chop?
I have some free accommodation set up via an old friend in Myrtleford
for the first 4-5 -6 days in July. We need fresh snow at Dinner Plain, Falls Creek , Mt. Buffalo and Mt. Stirling so I can day trip to all of them for ski action from Myrtleford.

and Let us OUT of Melb. FFS!

Last edited:

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw

Thank you all for the thoughts we have been boiling water since i think before Easter, was meant to be fixed but hey welcome to Baw Baw. Still Boiling

Reactions: nezumi and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Thank you all for the thoughts we have been boiling water since i think before Easter, was meant to be fixed but hey welcome to Baw Baw. Still Boiling

Who in the resort is claiming to have a repair timeline? This delay should embarrass resort managers and the board? Is this caveat even on the shiny web site?

just noting the State has previously spent millions on dams, water and sewerage works at Hotham an Buller. It must be time for Dan & Lily share some love with Bawbs.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
You know how it is, SG. Hotham and Buller attract big crowds of cashed up alpine skiers, make money. BB is, unfortunately, a drain on state resources. A few heavily subsidised jobs and training for South Gippsland. Resort still running on dirty diesel genny, I believe. Don't hold breath for investment in bb. In fact, fingers crossed it survives at all after recent Alpine management reshuffle.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
The southern resorts get so much more money then the big 3 combined, every year. No one can say they don't get a fair go.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The southern resorts get so much more money then the big 3 combined, every year. No one can say they don't get a fair go.
But do they get money for the really big Capital items?

Clearly, LM has had some big money spent post bushfires.

But BB’s big items - the car parks, sealed road, the ‘new hotel’ are all 1-2 decades old now.

There’s the new ice-making system and small ‘real’ SM system - they’re not cheap but I’m not sure they equate to say a $5 million dam, for instance?

there’s also the obvious fact that the two smalls are totally Government owned and run - unlike the big 3 - so should receive more help.

I do know BB’s power system is expensive (gas turbine?), old fashioned and needs to be modernised. Maybe that’s the next big item for Vic Govt. to tackle after fixing the water supply?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass