Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
Just looked at Baw Baw snow report, says 40cm but only hut run to tower 3.5, is this because 40cm in snow report is the snow making?

(I thought 30cm was generally the mark for top to bottom skiing at Baw Baw).

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
Just looked at Baw Baw snow report, says 40cm but only hut run to tower 3.5, is this because 40cm in snow report is the snow making?

(I thought 30cm was generally the mark for top to bottom skiing at Baw Baw).
There is only about 5cm of natural cover. I wouldn't expect anything else open until after the possible snowfalls forecast next weekend.

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
There is only about 5cm of natural cover. I wouldn't expect anything else open until after the possible snowfalls forecast next weekend.
Thanks @Onlybackscratchers. On their report it was something weird like 'only the average of the open runs'.

Given the snow play and XC users you think they'd make it clearer!

Hopefully they can get to 40cm this winter (I remember a few years ago being there in 50cm and it was glorious!).

Reactions: Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 7, 2017
Thanks @Onlybackscratchers. On their report it was something weird like 'only the average of the open runs'.

Given the snow play and XC users you think they'd make it clearer!

Hopefully they can get to 40cm this winter (I remember a few years ago being there in 50cm and it was glorious!).
Yes there reports should be a bit clearer. Check the snow cams, the Summit T-bar cam gives you a far idea of natural cover.

Reactions: Tom from Melbourne

doogasnow

One of Us
Mar 7, 2010
Moe south
Love baw baw!! Fantastic mountain imo! I worked up there is a lifty about 20 years ago now. When u get the right weather systems moving up from the south west during winter they can get some unbelievable snowfalls!
use to love catching the chairlift from top down to bottom station where I was living.

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
This must be one of the most aussie ski images ever.
guessing its rental gear
1626069787675.png

doogasnow

One of Us
Mar 7, 2010
Moe south
Thanks to bb admin and accomm (alpine hotel) for offering refunds or rescheduling for bookings next week. Saw the forecast, gotexcited, made a booking, then next day lock down was announced and I thought I'd done my dough. So, hopefully get up there in a couple of weeks.
Conditions looking like they could be really good up there by mid next week fingers crossed. Imo

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
I've just realised that I have made a terrible mistake, and may try to remedy it - I have booked in my covid-vax on Friday morning! :O
Dang, try the Thursday? I had my first dose last Wednesday - all good other than a massive headache and lethargy.

Reactions: nezumi

doogasnow

One of Us
Mar 7, 2010
Moe south
Requires another 20cm on top of what they just got imo
Systems this season just haven’t been favourable so far for the mountain imo
Hopefully the fronts that come through in August can have a little more sw stream to them

Reactions: nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Unfortunately my options with a 5 year old who is now adamant that he wants to take snowboarding lessons only (last year he agreed to try skiing if it meant going to the snow) limit me to Baw Baw, unless I take the whole family, put him in a private lesson for an hour and then leave him to play with his mum and Ms 1 while I go off and ride.

I'm looking at the possibility of doing a Mt Buller day trip, or a midweek jaunt up to Hotham, but if it's both of us, it's Baw Baw for now.

Reactions: doogasnow

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Tank hill, magic carpet and Hut (but how far?) running today according to email. Will be interested to see how this current weather system treats the little mountain.
But, unfortunately, it looks like it's raining up there at the moment. Can't take a trick!

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
And what time does the gate open? I am either really terrible at Google or navigating their website, but I would have thought this would be basic information available somewhere?

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Not sure if it's the same procedure as LM (but shared management). At LM yesterday, they just checked my name off a printed list. Didn't want to see my printed booking doc. But wanted to see the phone to check covid test.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
First time trip for the wife, 3yo and I to Baw Baw and it was a great day! But also disappointing in some ways, I’ll run through those in a bit.

Main reason for heading to Baw Baw was getting the 3 year old up and going for the first time on skis. Decided on Tuesday when lockdown ended, booked entry online and wife and I headed off for COVID test Saturday morning 8:30am. Results received 7pm. All the rain last night in Melbourne made me worried it was going to be a wash out, but the opposite! Trees covered in snow and a nice 15cm sitting on top of any cars parked overnight. Brilliant!

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Before the trip as a newby I had been on the website and truthfully found it not the easiest to get the info I wanted. Noticed through checking the website and cams during the week that only 3/7 lifts were running, all good for the young one, and thought I would only get a pass if more opened up. Didn’t pre book anything online other than resort entry. We pulled in to the carpark about 9:30am. Easy drive in.

Anyway, fresh snow! So was hopeful something else might be open. At the main booth at the carpark I asked what lifts were open. Initially the girl had no idea and had to go ask someone. I might have misinterpreted, but thought she said summit T bar was running. Great, purchased lift pass for $80 which my wife and I would share as needed. Yes I know some people would disagree with this, but in hindsight am very happy we did this with lifts on offer.

Took a copy of the map, which unfortunately doesn’t match the lifts. Map has Big Hill Poma on it. Doesn’t exist, rather there is a longer magic carpet here. Also has Hut Run as a T Bar, not the platter it is.

The walk then to the lift base was brutal! I will have to figure something out for next time, as will most likely be just me and the 3yo.

Once we got there got our bearings and realised Summit T bar was a no go. So only the 3 of 7. Hut run platter, Tank Hill Platter and the small magic carpet it. The most disappointing one for us was actually that the larger carpet wasn’t running. Anyone have any idea why not?

This also meant a very long wait for the Hut Run Platter at times. Often with only every 3rd platter being used as the lifties explained how to use it. I know it’s a beginner mountain, but they need a better way to teach people to use a platter, have a small 50m on for people to get their legs on first.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
We spent a lot of time on the magic carpet and 3yo was doing really well to the point they didn’t want any help and started doing laps herself, winning!

So then took her up the Tank Hill Platter and skiied down with her between my legs, her loving it. Actually a reasonably steep drop off from the offload at the start of the run which was catching a few people out.

Weather was brilliant! Snow quality as good as anything have ever seen in Australia, hovering around zero so perfect for learning and not a breath of wind so staying outside all day wasn’t a problem. Perfect first time conditions, definitely lucked out there!

In between my wife and I would take turns doing the odd run on Hut Run Platter. Even got some powder skiiers right!

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
We had all our own gear and chains, so no issues there and can’t comment on any of the hire places. I do think it’s ridiculous they force every vehicle to carry chains though, not sure why they can’t do what Buller does and declare it on the morning.

It was a great day, and we will back, being a tad over 2.5hrs drive from home makes it pretty easy. And is perfect mountain to get the kids going for lower cost than our normal Buller.

Saying that, the longer magic carpet on the steeper grade is going to be a kicker for us in coming back so daughter can progress, I have no idea why it wasn’t running. Can’t be snow. Would also love the opportunity to explore the other T bars, again looked to be plenty of snow today, so not sure why they couldn’t get any them open to spread the punters around.

Reactions: djam

Giraffe

Hard Yards
Jun 17, 2019
We had all our own gear and chains, so no issues there and can’t comment on any of the hire places. I do think it’s ridiculous they force every vehicle to carry chains though, not sure why they can’t do what Buller does and declare it on the morning.

It was a great day, and we will back, being a tad over 2.5hrs drive from home makes it pretty easy. And is perfect mountain to get the kids going for lower cost than our normal Buller.

Saying that, the longer magic carpet on the steeper grade is going to be a kicker for us in coming back so daughter can progress, I have no idea why it wasn’t running. Can’t be snow. Would also love the opportunity to explore the other T bars, again looked to be plenty of snow today, so not sure why they couldn’t get any them open to spread the punters around.
I'm not sure how how often Big Hill Carpet actually runs. We went a couple of years ago after a huge dump in July. Lots of kids about and not running then either. Though they did have Maltese, summit, and Hutt open. Looked at the loft report consistently that year and really wasn't open very much which is unfortunate as the beginner carpet is just sooooo short and the platters are challenge to ride for the smaller kids.

Also with the resort map Big Hill used to have a Poma there prior to the carpet. Hutt run has always been a platter though so even old maps should have it as a platter and not a T-Bar.

It is a great little mountain though when its had decent falls and perfect for kids finding their snow legs :)

Reactions: travelislife

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Also with the resort map Big Hill used to have a Poma there prior to the carpet. Hutt run has always been a platter though so even old maps should have it as a platter and not a T-Bar.
Well it was a rope tow first, on a different alignment, the drive was in the same building as the Baw Baw ski club generator, on the south side of the creek.

Reactions: Giraffe

Giraffe

Hard Yards
Jun 17, 2019
Well it was a rope tow first, on a different alignment, the drive was in the same building as the Baw Baw ski club generator, on the south side of the creek.
Thanks for the history! Well before my time there :) think the first time I visited with skis on was about 15 years ago. Though I have vague recollections of begging my parents to take us up on the chairlift from the carpark when I was a kid so I remember that one. Didn't get a chance to ride it though as the one time we went up when I was young we drove to the top was just for snowplay so no recollection of the other lifts or even what year that was

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
The Platter was installed in the mid 70's so some time back now. Not long after a second lift company installed the Maltese Cross T-bar.

Before that Baw Baw had just two lifts, the Hut run, to the left of the step slope facing Baw Baw Ski Club, and the Painted run rope tow, which was two rope tows, one on each side of the towers. The skiers right had a Holden 6 cylinder engine and the skiers left a vanguard, less powerful engine. They used to run the vanguard a little faster under no load and as more skiers jumped on it would slow down. As kids we would jump from one to the other on the way up, depending on which one was faster. Plus pull ourselves along to get in front of a friend on the other two. We didn't have nut crackers when we were young, so it was easy to just jump across. We had very good arm muscles back then ;)

I was nearly killed on that lift as a kid, but that's another story.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Great pics, travelislife. The Big hill was a real poma. unlike a plater, it had a solid metal pipe between the disk you put between your legs and the overhead cable. made for some hairy starts when you are handed the disk. It was used for a while as a tubing lift where you were hauled up on an oversize inner tube and allowed to slide down a slalom style course. That only lasted for a while and now there is nothing. For me the removal of the big hill poma was a disappointment because you could access Road Run from it. I used to enjoy skiing down Road Run. There was al;so a platter lift to the right of Big Hill poma called Big Hill platter. It only operated spasmodically and the few times I used it, it wasn't attended by a liftie, just running all by itself. You had to load yourself on. In todays safety paranoia, that would be a big no-no!

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Today was a hit for Mr 5 and I. Again, only the two actual lifts open, but far fewer people than on the weekend. Old Hut Run was closed at the start of the day, but then was quietly opened with an "unmarked hazards" sign going up instead. La Descente was similarly "open" - as long as you could carry the speed from the drop off to get you through the potholed minefield before merging onto lower summit. Summit run was showing as open, despite the Summit lift not running. In terms of the available runs, I think I was most disappointed to see that Home Run wasn't open, as my ultimate goal for the day was to get my 5yo snowboarder to the top of Tank Hill for the view, then to ride home run with him to get back to the car.

The major let down for us was that, upon arrival at ~8:15, there was no-where open to get a coffee and hot chocolate! Now, the reason for the early arrival was that we were leaving from Melbourne's outer North (Ring rd territory), and the choice was to leave at 5 and avoid traffic, or leave at 5:30 / 6:00 and risk getting caught up. Given the lesson start of 9:30 and the price, I didn't want to chance missing out on it.

Mr 5's lesson went pretty well - he was typically self-critical because he wasn't able to skate and glide first try. I was keeping a distant eye on him while doing my own runs, and came in for the Dad Pep Talk. He perked up, and was later riding the magic carpet solo, had a go with the platter trainer (i.e. the cut-off platter pulled by the instructor) and by the end of the day was on the far looker's left of tank hill, having a go at coming down in heel-slides.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass