Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
On the Ski Bowl cam, I notice some earthworks near the Ski Patrol/Lift ticket building. Any one have any idea what is being built there? :)
:) Oldie

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Is that a couple of new tanks beside the building on the Tank Hill cam?
The tanks have been there for a few months. What I'm referring to seems to have only just started in the last week or so. It may be related. In recent months BB have been silent on any improvements/changes for the coming season, so I guess it will be "business as usual" for winter 2022.

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Jun 22, 2000
vic
The tanks have been there for a few months. What I'm referring to seems to have only just started in the last week or so. It may be related. In recent months BB have been silent on any improvements/changes for the coming season, so I guess it will be "business as usual" for winter 2022.
Like most resorts, BB are very much aware of online comments
Could be the Hut Run load will be lower ?
Remember that they sacked an instructor when she complained on line of the uphill climb to get to the pub :)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
But do they get money for the really big Capital items?

Clearly, LM has had some big money spent post bushfires.

But BB’s big items - the car parks, sealed road, the ‘new hotel’ are all 1-2 decades old now.

There’s the new ice-making system and small ‘real’ SM system - they’re not cheap but I’m not sure they equate to say a $5 million dam, for instance?

there’s also the obvious fact that the two smalls are totally Government owned and run - unlike the big 3 - so should receive more help.

I do know BB’s power system is expensive (gas turbine?), old fashioned and needs to be modernised. Maybe that’s the next big item for Vic Govt. to tackle after fixing the water supply?
I have heard rumours that Baw Baw will be given " the Mt. Buffalo treatment" and will be decommisioned as a ski resort.
S.W. Gippsland snow sports folk will be on the war path if that happens. Some of us city ski people won't
be impressed either.

• Angry
Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I have heard rumours that Baw Baw will be given " the Mt. Buffalo treatment" and will be decommisioned as a ski resort.
S.W. Gippsland snow sports folk will be on the war path if that happens. Some of us city ski people won't
be impressed either.
Death by deliberate neglect (defunding!) - an ugly wavering death if it’s true?

It would probably be ‘sold’ to the public as an environmental initiative.

It’s amazing, when there’s a $ to be saved by closing infrastructure in the bush, the Govt can’t wait to act.

When the environment requires new funding, it takes years, even decades…and often never happens (think wind power and solar on the Mtn - replacing gas?)

I hope these rumours are just that. I’m no LNP lover - but if they get in in Nov, they might install one of their Gippy mates to run the lifts…not sure if the Belgravia mob woul plan another tilt?

It’s all pretty bad - BB desperately need to to bottom snowmaking (even just ice-maker >0C variety?) to guarantee some T-B skiing. But management/Govt either can’t understand this principle or more likely, can’t/won’t allocate the funding.

Why drive 180-200km to ‘play’ at the bottom of run that’s virtually bare for 2/3 length? Crazy! (Unless you’re a pure sight see-er / toboganner?)

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
They're selling season passes for this year (resort entry to LM /combined pass ) so we must make the most of it. Can't see LNP with a realistic chance in November, but who knows?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
They're selling season passes for this year (resort entry to LM /combined pass ) so we must make the most of it. Can't see LNP with a realistic chance in November, but who knows?
No I can’t see Guy getting up. He/Libs Ave very few few policies other banging on about Covid Lockdowns and cutting tax. The latter is arc-welded into their letterheads and the former is old hat now we’ve largely opened up - like most states, even WA.

Re season passes: a shame (a costly one for many) that the all-resort season pass won’t be available for yet another year. Let’s just milk the public dry, shall we? It’s terrible for those that scatter their wealth (patronage) across several hills.

In this respect, we are treated quite Baldy in Vic - when you compare what a parking (visitor) dollar buys you in NSW. Divide entry $ by ski-days and we Vic have some of the dearest snow access in the world. (Talking domestic tourism). :mad:

And then Tourism Vic will trumpet the ‘accessibility and affordability of Vic’s budget options’? o_O

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Also, state gov't (presumably) has spent a lot of money repairing the tourist road between Icy Ck and bb turn off. I can't see that this would have happened if there was a plan to close the resort. But after another bad season or two, who knows? Fingers crossed for a good season. I bought the pass, just being optimistic.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Keep in mind the ALP Gummint in Vic. think skiing of all kinds
( even cheap skate BC XC skiing up Road No. 3 in Mansfield state forest .. whatever and where ever that is )
in general is for rich LNP voting toffs who drive Toorak tractors and use $100.00 bills to wipe their backsides .
The only reason any resorts were allowed to open in
Vic. over the past two winters here in Lockdown-i-stan is because someone knew someone who went to school with someone who skied and they had some influence over Dictator Dan, The Chief Health Officer and their inflexible autocratic decision making processes.
Yes skiing in NSW is far cheaper and I am renewing my annual concession pass for the KNP/ NPWS in NSW.
A day trip out to Charlotte pass on over snow transport device and back and car camping at Island Bend in early/Mid. Sept. could be fun.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: snowgum and nezumi

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
in general is for rich LNP voting toffs who drive Toorak tractors and use $100.00 bills to wipe their backsides .
The only reason any resorts were allowed to open in
Vic. over the past two winters here in Lockdown-i-stan is because someone knew someone who went to school with someone who skied and they had some influence over Dictator Dan, The Chief Health Officer and their inflexible autocratic decision making processes.
Yes skiing in NSW is far cheaper and I am renewing my annual concession pass for the KNP/ NPWS in NSW.
A day trip out to Charlotte pass on over snow transport device and back and car camping at Island Bend in Mid. Sept. could be fun.

Agreed! Skiers, know skiers, who know someone important! Yarda. Terrible really!

Just be careful with using oversnow T, it’s now $120 return but I think Charlotte may include OS with their accommodation packs and one-day lift deals.

Maybe someone here knows more about the deals. 75% of a Perisher day lift ticket price is really milking it.

But look me (& gang) up if you head up in first week of September. ⛷❄️

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I see from the Hut Roll cam that BB have fired up their slushie machine.

I think I will need to send a message to all the resort governing bodies and Baw Baw management pointing out that if they had offered the All-Resorts Pass this year, I would have been visiting Baw Baw midweek, but given the decision to make it single-resort only, I'm going to have to stick to just Hotham - which is unfortunate for the food vendors etc on the hill.

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018
Anyone got the text for those without a subscription?
Here it is:

'Resort owners allege the board used snow ploughs to block their staff from accessing Cascade Apartments

The owners of a Mt Baw Baw ski resort allege they were victimised and subject to unlawful discrimination.

Miles Proust

2 min read

May 14, 2022 - 3:45PM

Sunday Herald Sun

Cascade Apartments' owners Andrea and Andrew Braslis claim they've been discriminated against by Mt Baw Baw operators.

A Victorian ski resort has been embroiled in scandal amid claims of “favouritism” by the resort’s management and allegations snow ploughs were used to block access to a business.

Andrea and Andrew Braslis, who own and operate Cascade Apartments at Mt Baw Baw ski resort, allege they were victimised and subject to unlawful discrimination by the resort’s administration, Southern Alpine Resort Management Board, after whistleblowing on fraud allegations more than a decade ago.

In a claim filed with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal in April last year, the couple allege the board used snow ploughs to block their staff from accessing Cascade Apartments.

Other allegations include Cascade Apartments’ employees were denied entry to the Alpine Hotel bar which was owned by the board and the resort’s owners played favourites among various hospitality and accommodation businesses.

The couple claim board members gave free gate entry and ski passes to their family and friends but didn’t allow others to do the same with the “unjust and inconsistent” treatment raised on numerous occasions to no avail.

A group of business owners were told the board “owns our land over winter” and can “do what they want” according to the couple’s VCAT claim.

The couple said the board also spent two years objecting to a permit which would allow them to open a cafe bar and were told to stop installing windows once it was under construction without reason.

According to the couple’s VCAT claim, they were subject to ongoing discrimination after they were the main whistleblowers during a fraud case brought against the board in 2011 which led to “negative findings”.

“The Applicants say that they have now been led to the Tribunal in an attempt to stop these issues which have never gone away and have again grown,” VCAT documents state.

“The Applicants say that these issues have affected their business, health and rights.”

The couple argued they had been discriminated against under the Equal Opportunity Act in relation to “social and economic disadvantage” and “different groups have different outcomes”.

But most of the submissions were struck out on Tuesday following a dismissal application by the board, with VCAT member Ian Scott finding the tribunal did not have jurisdiction to hear the claim.

Mr Scott also found claims of victimisation and discrimination were “misconceived” and “lacking in substance”.

The only surviving claim related to the couple’s allegation of unlawful discrimination when

the board closed road access forcing Ms Braslis, who is vision impaired, to leave her property.

Mr Scott found the board could contravene Section 45 of the Equal Opportunity Act by failing to make adjustments for a person with disability.

“I am not satisfied that the Respondent has discharged its burden in this regard as I am not persuaded that the surviving claim is absolutely hopeless regardless of how remote its prospect of success may or may not be,” Mr Scott said.

The matter will return to VCAT on May 31.'

• Angry
Reactions: teckel

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
I think I will need to send a message to all the resort governing bodies and Baw Baw management pointing out that if they had offered the All-Resorts Pass this year, I would have been visiting Baw Baw midweek, but given the decision to make it single-resort only, I'm going to have to stick to just Hotham - which is unfortunate for the food vendors etc on the hill.

This is seriously a major pain compared to NSW where annual parks pass is available. I’d like to get to Buller, Hotham and Baw Baw this year, but the parking costs just add up and up making it not as feasible to do as many trips as I would like to be able to duck up for day half a day with the kids. If I had the sunk cost of a multi resort access/carpark pass they would see more of me and my $$!

Reactions: Skiain

Guthega Girl

One of Us
Sep 6, 2004
Northcote
I don't know the ins and outs of it all vs NSW

But National Parks is very different to Parks VIC and the way the ski resorts operate. It also from memory used to be a lot more $$ for the seasonal Kosciusko pass in NSW back in my uni days it was unattainable but was lucky i worked for an employer on mtn so it was about $22 for the season

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

jdog

Hard Yards
Jun 30, 2014
Hi all,

Not sure where to post this so mods please delete or move if not the correct thread.

Trying to find some accommodation for early July but finding all websites relating to Baw Baw a bit clunky.
I am after something to comfortably accommodate a family of 5. Happy with a lodge but would want our own room with ensuite as our kids are on the younger side.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
Justin

Mar 19, 2020
Looks like a slab has been poured near the tanks and ski patrol building. Still no idea what it's for, though.
Not the best photo, but from the speed of which it was put up, and the way the door handles look, I'd say it's some kind of shipping container building. Maybe they're moving the ticket office or adding more places, who knows with Baw Baw management

Mt. Baw Baw - The Bowl 1 hour ago.jpg

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Existing ticket box is quite well located. No signs of xc trail passes being required. But the existing toilets closest to the bowl and the lifts there are old, tired and not very convenient.
New dunnies, perhaps? Just guessing. Hope to investigate next week.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Existing ticket box is quite well located. No signs of xc trail passes being required. But the existing toilets closest to the bowl and the lifts there are old, tired and not very convenient.
New dunnies, perhaps? Just guessing. Hope to investigate next week.
BB would have to start actively patrolling their XC trails (if?) they planned to charge, like the old days?

Who’d want to outlay $10 (say) to ski behind a bunch of goons post-holing up the trail in their jeans and walking boots?

Sorry, this is an issue BB management must tackle - regardless of pricing. It’s an OHS issue in particular. BB management needs to show some professionalism. And they need a decent budget to fund these practices.

Q: has anyone ever heard of or seen a volunteer ski patroller on BB? Why can’t BB get one up - something closer to Gwinear or Stirling? It can’t be that hard - can it?

The resort could offer seasonal parking passes etc… to XC volunteer patrollers. These are basic services not anything out of the ordinary on any resort or mountain offering groomed XC trails.

Come on BB Management if you are reading this! :eek::oops:
(Over to you!)

Darzee

Hard Yards
Sep 13, 2013
Not the best photo, but from the speed of which it was put up, and the way the door handles look, I'd say it's some kind of shipping container building. Maybe they're moving the ticket office or adding more places, who knows with Baw Baw management

Mt. Baw Baw - The Bowl 1 hour ago.jpg
I had a quick looksie yesterday, it is indeed a shipping container and its full of piping and pumps, it looks like its a new control room for snowmaking

Reactions: bawbawbel

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Here it is:

'Resort owners allege the board used snow ploughs to block their staff from accessing Cascade Apartments

The owners of a Mt Baw Baw ski resort allege they were victimised and subject to unlawful discrimination.

Miles Proust

2 min read

May 14, 2022 - 3:45PM

Sunday Herald Sun

Cascade Apartments' owners Andrea and Andrew Braslis claim they've been discriminated against by Mt Baw Baw operators.

A Victorian ski resort has been embroiled in scandal amid claims of “favouritism” by the resort’s management and allegations snow ploughs were used to block access to a business.

Andrea and Andrew Braslis, who own and operate Cascade Apartments at Mt Baw Baw ski resort, allege they were victimised and subject to unlawful discrimination by the resort’s administration, Southern Alpine Resort Management Board, after whistleblowing on fraud allegations more than a decade ago.

In a claim filed with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal in April last year, the couple allege the board used snow ploughs to block their staff from accessing Cascade Apartments.

Other allegations include Cascade Apartments’ employees were denied entry to the Alpine Hotel bar which was owned by the board and the resort’s owners played favourites among various hospitality and accommodation businesses.

The couple claim board members gave free gate entry and ski passes to their family and friends but didn’t allow others to do the same with the “unjust and inconsistent” treatment raised on numerous occasions to no avail.

A group of business owners were told the board “owns our land over winter” and can “do what they want” according to the couple’s VCAT claim.

The couple said the board also spent two years objecting to a permit which would allow them to open a cafe bar and were told to stop installing windows once it was under construction without reason.

According to the couple’s VCAT claim, they were subject to ongoing discrimination after they were the main whistleblowers during a fraud case brought against the board in 2011 which led to “negative findings”.

“The Applicants say that they have now been led to the Tribunal in an attempt to stop these issues which have never gone away and have again grown,” VCAT documents state.

“The Applicants say that these issues have affected their business, health and rights.”

The couple argued they had been discriminated against under the Equal Opportunity Act in relation to “social and economic disadvantage” and “different groups have different outcomes”.

But most of the submissions were struck out on Tuesday following a dismissal application by the board, with VCAT member Ian Scott finding the tribunal did not have jurisdiction to hear the claim.

Mr Scott also found claims of victimisation and discrimination were “misconceived” and “lacking in substance”.

The only surviving claim related to the couple’s allegation of unlawful discrimination when

the board closed road access forcing Ms Braslis, who is vision impaired, to leave her property.

Mr Scott found the board could contravene Section 45 of the Equal Opportunity Act by failing to make adjustments for a person with disability.

“I am not satisfied that the Respondent has discharged its burden in this regard as I am not persuaded that the surviving claim is absolutely hopeless regardless of how remote its prospect of success may or may not be,” Mr Scott said.

The matter will return to VCAT on May 31.'
I always knew the resorts were the wild west... You got run out of town at Buller if your business wasn't affiliated with Grollo, there was an RMB road patrol guy at Hotham who used to throw his weight around, a 'fines first and questions later' approach from hoth RMB in general, exemptions for Audi drivers without chains and now this...

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I always knew the resorts were the wild west... You got run out of town at Buller if your business wasn't affiliated with Grollo, there was an RMB road patrol guy at Hotham who used to throw his weight around, a 'fines first and questions later' approach from hoth RMB in general, exemptions for Audi drivers without chains and now this...
Hotham RMB road patrol guy?

That’s not (allegedly) the grumpy old chap from ~ 15 years back who patrolled the Corral CP and disagreed with anyone parking there? Even when directed by his mate on the GAR entrance? Not a happy time or place for this camper!

Fines? One of my ski mates will never enter a ARM area in winter (esp. Hotham) - claiming he was fined when ‘not parking’.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Just a heads up for those who might be interested, or indeed, affected. I rang bb management to check on the (slow) progress of season passes. It's, like, 2 weeks from season opening and not a word, or email. They say I'll hear something soon.
I also enquired about accommodation and wondered why I couldn't find mention of the Alpine Hotel on their accommodation website. Apparently Alpine Hotel is being refurbished and will not be operating this season. Pardon?
But what about the rescheduled accommodation they offered me when a Covid-19 lockdown in Melbourne meant that I could not leave my suburb? Oh, sorry, you will have to contact the company which was running the hotel last year ( the company that sent me an email offering to reschedule any time in the next 12 months). An automatic email reply says they'll get back to me. Definitely booked it through the resort's accommodation website.
So be aware, no Alpine Hotel accommodation this season. And be careful who you book with.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Just a heads up for those who might be interested, or indeed, affected. I rang bb management to check on the (slow) progress of season passes. It's, like, 2 weeks from season opening and not a word, or email. They say I'll hear something soon.
I also enquired about accommodation and wondered why I couldn't find mention of the Alpine Hotel on their accommodation website. Apparently Alpine Hotel is being refurbished and will not be operating this season. Pardon?
But what about the rescheduled accommodation they offered me when a Covid-19 lockdown in Melbourne meant that I could not leave my suburb? Oh, sorry, you will have to contact the company which was running the hotel last year ( the company that sent me an email offering to reschedule any time in the next 12 months). An automatic email reply says they'll get back to me. Definitely booked it through the resort's accommodation website.
So be aware, no Alpine Hotel accommodation this season. And be careful who you book with.
Hopeless- unprofessional and unreasonable/ unfair!

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Hotham RMB road patrol guy?

That’s not (allegedly) the grumpy old chap from ~ 15 years back who patrolled the Corral CP and disagreed with anyone parking there? Even when directed by his mate on the GAR entrance? Not a happy time or place for this camper!

Fines? One of my ski mates will never enter a ARM area in winter (esp. Hotham) - claiming he was fined when ‘not parking’.
Probably was the same guy.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Probably was the same guy.
If it was the same guy, he was a classic.

Told me off for following his mate’s instructions and then we met later that day in the same lodge - unexpectedly. How can one be that unlucky? He wanted to renew verbals that night, I didn’t bite. (Best to be kind to your elders?) ;)

I guess strike 3 could be sharing a chairlift or a corner of a bar? :(

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
If it was the same guy, he was a classic.

Told me off for following his mate’s instructions and then we met later that day in the same lodge - unexpectedly. How can one be that unlucky? He wanted to renew verbals that night, I didn’t bite. (Best to be kind to your elders?) ;)

I guess strike 3 could be sharing a chairlift or a corner of a bar? :(
Yeah I think I copped him at the bar a couple of times - could see the greasys but didn't engage

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Long shot, but anyone got any leads on possible accom for 3 nights over the long weekend 10/06-13/06? 2 adults. 2 kids.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
BB in first week of June. Breakable crust after rain, then freeze but it was still fun on Thursday. Some hero had skied straight up the summit d/h run and an intrepid snowboarder had slid down under the lift. 20 cm in the gauge but a bit more up top through the trees.
2 guys on very skinny skis advised that the trail had been groomed by resort staff searching for a lost hiker. This made the run out to McMillans easier. I could not resist and pushed out on totally rough and ungroomed track to West Tanjil Ck bridge. Hard going but worth it.
Skiing back down the summit trail was hard in icy conditions but hey, it's June.
Solid freeze overnight saw more challenging conditions on Friday but I still had to ski around the Latrobe trail, then up the summit to ski around to 5 ways junction and back down. Good workout. Could be a base for a season.

20220602_114848.jpg

20220602_121910.jpg

20220602_120829.jpg

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Will BB be offering the Wed. cheap lift ticket day this 2022 season?. Their website says nothing at present about it.
They have a very good base now for early June and I am interested in improving my overall skiing by using the lifts once or twice up there in 2022.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Will BB be offering the Wed. cheap lift ticket day this 2022 season?. Their website says nothing at present about it.
They have a very good base now for early June and I am interested in improving my overall skiing by using the lifts once or twice up there in 2022.
Looks like they won’t.

An opportunity lost?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using