Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Just do it. You know you want to. Can't take it with you.
(Maybe too much information?)
Fair call.

Not much spending a small fortune on ski & mountain gear, car (suv), entry passes, leave and at times, accommodation& then refuse to buy a lift ticket occasionally on order to get the most from their new stuff?

It’s a bit of a xc / BC thing - a $ is still a dollar. We’re a very weird breed sometimes.

T this is a general obs from nearly 40 years of mountain visits. Not aimed at you specifically.
I say (anyone / all): go be a lion-tamer - buy your ticket - practice your turns without guilt! :cool::thumbs: :ski::cheers:

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
For those looking for backcountry / cross country adventures out of Baw Baw, they appear to be doing a "single ride" lift pass on the summit T for the princely sum of $10.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Fair call.

Not much spending a small fortune on ski & mountain gear, car (suv), entry passes, leave and at times, accommodation& then refuse to buy a lift ticket occasionally on order to get the most from their new stuff?

It’s a bit of a xc / BC thing - a $ is still a dollar. We’re a very weird breed sometimes.

T this is a general obs from nearly 40 years of mountain visits. Not aimed at you specifically.
I say (anyone / all): go be a lion-tamer - buy your ticket - practice your turns without guilt! :cool::thumbs: :ski::cheers:

I'd probably be up there if I had been able to get the all-resorts pass, but I'm pretty committed to Hotham now as that's where I've got a season resort entry pass.

I wouldn't be averse to teaming up with someone for a trip, especially on a Monday or Wednesday so the Master 6 can do snowboard lessons (assuming I can get a leave pass from his mum :D )

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I'd probably be up there if I had been able to get the all-resorts pass, but I'm pretty committed to Hotham now as that's where I've got a season resort entry pass.

I wouldn't be averse to teaming up with someone for a trip, especially on a Monday or Wednesday so the Master 6 can do snowboard lessons (assuming I can get a leave pass from his mum :D )

Not sure I’ll midweek?

Saving my leave to whole weeks atm.

I’m sure the forum will have someone similarly inclined?

Bb mid week is a very cruise trip from the SE suburbs. Heading against traffic each way (evening less of an issue unless you bail < 4-4:30?)

Reactions: nezumi

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Not sure I’ll midweek?

Saving my leave to whole weeks atm.

I’m sure the forum will have someone similarly inclined?

Bb mid week is a very cruise trip from the SE suburbs. Heading against traffic each way (evening less of an issue unless you bail < 4-4:30?)

I'm in the dubiously fortunate position of being in the north east of Melbourne, at the Greensborough end of the Ring Road. While this does make for undoubtedly easy driving to the big resorts (and even to Lake Mountain), it means that Baw Baw is that frustratingly little bit further. LOL

I'm currently working under a contract and due to finish at the end of July, so if all goes to plan I will be trying to get up to Hotham for 3 day pinches mid week, probably camping at JB Plain Hut. But should the fates align, then spending ~$190 for a 3 hour lesson for Master 6 and a lift pass for me might be worthwhile, especially compared to the amount I am paying for a private lesson for him at Hotham.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I'm in the dubiously fortunate position of being in the north east of Melbourne, at the Greensborough end of the Ring Road. While this does make for undoubtedly easy driving to the big resorts (and even to Lake Mountain), it means that Baw Baw is that frustratingly little bit further. LOL

I'm currently working under a contract and due to finish at the end of July, so if all goes to plan I will be trying to get up to Hotham for 3 day pinches mid week, probably camping at JB Plain Hut. But should the fates align, then spending ~$190 for a 3 hour lesson for Master 6 and a lift pass for me might be worthwhile, especially compared to the amount I am paying for a private lesson for him at Hotham.
Yes you’re much better placed for everywhere except Bb/MtSG or Hotham if road is shut.

A shame Buffalo lifts don’t run any,ore - a great way to start littlies or late-bloomers.

I shouldn’t start - the nostalgia will be too much for a BB forum! :p

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Yes you’re much better placed for everywhere except Bb/MtSG or Hotham if road is shut.

A shame Buffalo lifts don’t run any,ore - a great way to start littlies or late-bloomers.

I shouldn’t start - the nostalgia will be too much for a BB forum! :p

I have contemplated taking him to the old Cresta area with my backpack and splitboard and earning some turns together. :D

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I have contemplated taking him to the old Cresta area with my backpack and splitboard and earning some turns together. :D
Be OK atm - CP rocks await the unwary if there’s fresh but a great run when skiable.

I half trashed my Morotto bases at the Buff (mostly on CP) when had a dump of snow, coinciding with a big birthday bash. Such good fun, good VFM. Day tickets will never be as affordable in real terms as B in the 80s or 90s?

Even the main chairlift run in the middle of the valley wasn’t a bad length from memory. Easy intermediate? Ish.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Be OK atm - CP rocks await the unwary if there’s fresh but a great run when skiable.

I half trashed my Morotto bases at the Buff (mostly on CP) when had a dump of snow, coinciding with a big birthday bash. Such good fun, good VFM. Day tickets will never be as affordable in real terms as B in the 80s or 90s?

Even the main chairlift run in the middle of the valley wasn’t a bad length from memory. Easy intermediate? Ish.
Who still skis on museum era Morrotto toothpicks?. Get some ANNUM skis FFS !.

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
Baw Baw today glad ia am not there ...

camera1.jpg

Screenshot at Jun 12 15-28-54.png

Reactions: dr80

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Bit of a love/hate with Baw Baw after this weekend. Was great staying up there. Ski’ed Maltese T Bar for the first time which had some great runs down Champagne, Slalom, Old Old Hut, Drops on the Rocks.

But the lifts are in such bad shape for opening weekend. At times felt like I spent more time standing still with stopped lifts than actually getting towed up the hill. So many missing or broken T bars or Pomas. Why on day 1 of the season? The small magic carpet died on both Sun/Mon. The kids in the afternoon lessons on Sunday and Monday we’re having to walk up! Tank Hill Poma didn’t run at all today. ‘Issues’. Which made it more painful to get back to the village than it should have been. No signage on what lifts are actually running. Why? I dropped in to Maltese today and had to walk back up as they didn’t have it going until 10am. Yesterday I make the effort to get my 4 year old down the 500m path to find the magic carpet is closed! Have an electronic sign with live lift status. Not hard.

The Big Hill carpet didn’t run at all. Why?

It is a perfect mountain to get kids hooked. But they shoot themselves in the foot everywhere on what should be simple stuff.

We will be back as it is great value for the family to get the kids going and the wife and I just tag team for a few side runs. Really want to love it, but they make it hard.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Bit of a love/hate with Baw Baw after this weekend. Was great staying up there. Ski’ed Maltese T Bar for the first time which had some great runs down Champagne, Slalom, Old Old Hut, Drops on the Rocks.

But the lifts are in such bad shape for opening weekend. At times felt like I spent more time standing still with stopped lifts than actually getting towed up the hill. So many missing or broken T bars or Lima’s. Why on day 1 of the season? The small magic carpet died on both Sun/Mon. The kids in the afternoon lessons on Sunday and Monday we’re having to walk up! Tank Hill Poma didn’t run at all today. ‘Issues’. Which made it more painful to get back to the village than it should have been. No signage on what lifts are actually running. Why? I dropped in to Maltese today and had to walk back up as they didn’t have it going until 10am. Yesterday I make the effort to get my 4 year old down the 500m path to find the magic carpet is closed! Have an electronic sign with live lift status. Not hard.

The Big Hill carpet didn’t run at all. Why?

It is a perfect mountain to get kids hooked. But they shoot themselves in the foot everywhere on what should be simple stuff.

We will be back as it is great value for the family to get the kids going and the wife and I just gave team for a few side runs. Really want to love it, but they make it hard.
I have heard rumours that BB will be given the Mt Buffalo treatment.Enjoy it while you can,warts and all.

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
All that snow up there and they cant keep the tows open again more lost revenue for the stakeholders and the resort. What incentive does that make people want to go mid week , hopeless at its best . Is it a staffing issue ?? an explanation would not be too much too ask.

Capture.PNG

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
All that snow up there and they cant keep the tows open again more lost revenue for the stakeholders and the resort. What incentive does that make people want to go mid week , hopeless at its best . Is it a staffing issue ?? an explanation would not be too much too ask.

Capture.PNG

I can understand not running painted, but at least run summit while there's coverage - and what about those people who purchase the $10 summit single ticket? "Sorry, it's not running. Better luck tomorrow."?
As for Tank Hill, hopefully they are building some park features, otherwise that's absurdly frustrating.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

Capture.PNG
Death by planned neglect,incremental
cuts that reach the number one thousand .

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
I can understand not running painted, but at least run summit while there's coverage - and what about those people who purchase the $10 summit single ticket? "Sorry, it's not running. Better luck tomorrow."?
As for Tank Hill, hopefully they are building some park features, otherwise that's absurdly frustrating.
Was something wrong with Tank Hill on Monday. It didn’t run at all. So I don’t think that is a staffing one.

Reactions: nezumi

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Tank hill and summit still not open they managed to get maltese open apparently having people from guest services as tow operators allegedly !!!
Very ordinary - I hope (?) it’s unplanned staff shortages (it’s everywhere!), rather poor planning or planned ‘inadequacy’?

You’d think that the early snow (opening lifts on QB isn’t that common at BB); combined with obvious staffing supply constraints has caught management somewhat underprepared?

You worry for the school holiday peak, which should have some decent skiing for a nice change.

So BB have (barely) 10 days to get their SH staff & lift plan sorted! :rolleyes:

Giraffe

Hard Yards
Jun 17, 2019

Capture.PNG
It's ridiculous considering the amount of cover and that they had most things running yesterday.
We'd been planning a few days up there with the kids post vic school holidays but if this is all they've got running midweek it has me reconsidering. Feel bad for the accomodation providers too as people less likely to book it they're not running lifts that could be open

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
It's ridiculous considering the amount of cover and that they had most things running yesterday.
We'd been planning a few days up there with the kids post vic school holidays but if this is all they've got running midweek it has me reconsidering. Feel bad for the accomodation providers too as people less likely to book it they're not running lifts that could be open
Thats right Baw Baw has been pretty much closed for 2yrs, and we get this type of service . Our not for profit club pays 24k per year for so called service fees , then the triple amount of elect and gas costs compared to Melb and a snow making levy . Sadly Mister T is on the right track send us all broke then offload it . Very sad state of affairs we should be talking about how good the snow is and get up here, not broken tows overpriced crap food, staff shortages and bad management.

Sorry rant over i am passionate about BB been going there for 50 plus years now ,it makes me sad ...

Giraffe

Hard Yards
Jun 17, 2019
Thats right Baw Baw has been pretty much closed for 2yrs, and we get this type of service . Our not for profit club pays 24k per year for so called service fees , then the triple amount of elect and gas costs compared to Melb and a snow making levy . Sadly Mister T is on the right track send us all broke then offload it . Very sad state of affairs we should be talking about how good the snow is and get up here, not broken tows overpriced crap food, staff shortages and bad management.

Sorry rant over i am passionate about BB been going there for 50 plus years now ,it makes me sad ...

So disappointing. I have a huge soft spot for Baw Baw - my first time seeing snow was there (even though we didn't even get to toboggan at the time and I remember being so disappointed we didn't get to take the chairlift up) and a nice cost effective introduction to skiing that the bigger mountains don't offer. If only big hill carpet would actually run instead of sending the tiny beginner kids up abiut 20-30m on the hut platter.

Looks like they managed to get Maltese running today though off tonight's screenshot. If I had the choice of Summit or Maltese I know which one I'd prefer.

Screenshot_20220614-185846_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: travelislife

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
So disappointing. I have a huge soft spot for Baw Baw - my first time seeing snow was there (even though we didn't even get to toboggan at the time and I remember being so disappointed we didn't get to take the chairlift up) and a nice cost effective introduction to skiing that the bigger mountains don't offer. If only big hill carpet would actually run instead of sending the tiny beginner kids up abiut 20-30m on the hut platter.

Looks like they managed to get Maltese running today though off tonight's screenshot. If I had the choice of Summit or Maltese I know which one I'd prefer.

Screenshot_20220614-185846_Samsung Internet.jpg
Very sad just makes guests not want to come to Baw Baw again

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Bit of a nothing response....
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi TIL,

We're sorry to hear about your experience recently. Presently the resort is still dealing with the challenge of COVID related illness and staff shortages, so lifts are being prioritised to maximise open terrain.

We do understand your frustration and would appreciate if you can leave feedback below, so this (suggestion of a live update screen) can be actioned for future seasons, as honestly we do want to keep you happy and your suggestion is not unreasonable.
https://www.mountbawbaw.com.au/feedback-complaints/

You may already be aware, but you can view a detailed report on our website and we send out daily 6am snow updates with planned lift operations.
https://www.mountbawbaw.com.au/subscribe/

Guest Services
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi,

We were staying up at Baw Baw for Sat/Sun/Mon with our 2 kids and it was great to have the hill covered in snow.

Why didn’t the Big Hill carpet run on any of the days? When will it be running?

Also Tank Hill wasn’t running at all on Monday, and the small carpet wasn’t running on either Saturday or Sunday afternoons. Why?

I’d love to book my kids in for lessons but not if they are going to be walking up hill for half of it, or only have access to a 10m carpet.

There is also no signage in the village of what lifts are actually running or not. I got caught on 3 occasions, once skiing down to Maltese to find it wasn’t opening until 10am so had to hike back up. Then twice after taking my 4 year old on the painful 500m walk to Tank Hill to find the carpet wasn’t running, and that we couldn’t take Tank Hill up to ski back to the village. Incredibly annoying, and could have been avoided by a simple sign.

Mt Baw Baw is a great mountain to get kids hooked on skiing. But some simple things are making it so hard to keep persisting in coming up and spending our $$.

Looking forward to the day the Big Hill carpet runs and a sign is installed in the village with live lift status.

Cheers,

TIL
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reactions: Bogong

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
Bit of a nothing response....

Hi TIL,

We're sorry to hear about your experience recently. Presently the resort is still dealing with the challenge of COVID related illness and staff shortages, so lifts are being prioritised to maximise open terrain.

We do understand your frustration and would appreciate if you can leave feedback below, so this (suggestion of a live update screen) can be actioned for future seasons, as honestly we do want to keep you happy and your suggestion is not unreasonable.
https://www.mountbawbaw.com.au/feedback-complaints/

You may already be aware, but you can view a detailed report on our website and we send out daily 6am snow updates with planned lift operations.
https://www.mountbawbaw.com.au/subscribe/

Guest Services

Hi,

We were staying up at Baw Baw for Sat/Sun/Mon with our 2 kids and it was great to have the hill covered in snow.

Why didn’t the Big Hill carpet run on any of the days? When will it be running?

Also Tank Hill wasn’t running at all on Monday, and the small carpet wasn’t running on either Saturday or Sunday afternoons. Why?

I’d love to book my kids in for lessons but not if they are going to be walking up hill for half of it, or only have access to a 10m carpet.

There is also no signage in the village of what lifts are actually running or not. I got caught on 3 occasions, once skiing down to Maltese to find it wasn’t opening until 10am so had to hike back up. Then twice after taking my 4 year old on the painful 500m walk to Tank Hill to find the carpet wasn’t running, and that we couldn’t take Tank Hill up to ski back to the village. Incredibly annoying, and could have been avoided by a simple sign.

Mt Baw Baw is a great mountain to get kids hooked on skiing. But some simple things are making it so hard to keep persisting in coming up and spending our $$.

Looking forward to the day the Big Hill carpet runs and a sign is installed in the village with live lift status.

Cheers,

TIL
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Just a generic reply copy and paste no suprise sadly .

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Definitely staffing issues affecting lift operations. Just Hut platter and Maltese running on Tuesday (carpet doesn't count). Very firm surface except where some limited grooming had been done. Xc skiers came back into the resort saying trails were close to impossible, ungroomed rock hard with chunks of ice fallen from the trees. I stayed in resort, on free heel gear. Surface was softer today, with warmish but unpleasant wind. Champagne and Maltese uncrowded and skiing well. Also the lower section of Summit run was accessible via la descente, a snowplough (for me) down a steepish (for bb) narrow chute to a summit run with full cover and no-one there. Instead, beginners and families were lined up at the bottom of Hut, where lesson groups had priority and first time snowboarders struggled to grasp the tow method, adding to the delays. But hey, bb in June.
Not sure about Mr T's rumours of neglect. I hear money is to be spent, Kelly's has been refurbished, the pub to be rebuilt. Hope it happens. But they need more staff. A season on the hill as a lifty, anyone? Give them a call.

Last edited:

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Maybe some Fed gov't money? Remember Barnaby (it's a joke) Joyce said he had got a good deal for regions for pretending to agree to Morrison's desperado carbon cuts? BB survives on gas and diesel.

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
Definitely staffing issues affecting lift operations. Just Hut platter and Maltese running on Tuesday (carpet doesn't count). Very firm surface except where some limited grooming had been done. Xc skiers came back into the resort saying trails were close to impossible, ungroomed rock hard with chunks of ice fallen from the trees. I stayed in resort, on free heel gear. Surface was softer today, with warmish but unpleasant wind. Champagne and Maltese uncrowded and skiing well. Also the lower section of Summit run was accessible via la descente, a snowplough (for me) down a steepish (for bb) narrow chute to a summit run with full cover and no-one there. Instead, beginners and families were lined up at the bottom of Hut, where lesson groups had priority and first time snowboarders struggled to grasp the tow method, adding to the delays. But hey, bb in June.
Not sure about Mr T's rumours of neglect. I hear money is to be spent, Kelly's has been refurbished, the pub to be rebuilt. Hope it happens. But they need more staff. A season on the hill as a lifty, anyone? Give them a call.
These are some of the proposals .

A new educational centre at the day visitors building

2 new runs one on the other side of the Maltese and one on the other side of big hill and painted

A multi level car park in the day car park

A big centre for supermarket supplies and day spa kind of setup.. sorry I’m a bit vague on that one!!
A new chairlift

A new Hotel

These proposals have been put forward to the gov , i think its all a pipe dream. Baw Baw cannot get enough funding now , apparently this would be achieved over 20+ yrs . What will the stakeholders be paying in rates with all these upgrades ??? Most clubs find it already difficult with power, gas and service charges.

We had a chairlift once , what happened to power from the grid and sealing of south face road ?

We can't even get a lease that goes for 20 yrs , but sadly i think Baw Baw and the long standing private not for profit clubs will all be gone returned free to the government.

1f62c.png
1f644.png

Bpoos

Hard Yards
Mar 17, 2018

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
The current obsession with safety and litigation makes it hard for staffing. When I started skiing at BB in the early '80s, lifts often were running but with no staff actually there at times during the day. I remember self loading on Hut platter often, mid-week. The few times I used Big Hill platter, there wasn't anyone there. Also I don't recall there being many observers at the top of lifts to hit the stop if someone gets tangled up getting off. Bob, Wally and Lee used to run the lifts on a shoestring in those days

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Even then every lift should have had at least 1 qualified operator on them. The DLI had those rules in place from at least the 70's. I don't recall the exact year that started. The safety gates are good at looking after issues at the top, it saved my life on the painted run tow, around 1970.

No one should be cutting corners on safety, if it can't be made profitable, then you don't have a business.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Even then every lift should have had at least 1 qualified operator on them. The DLI had those rules in place from at least the 70's. I don't recall the exact year that started. The safety gates are good at looking after issues at the top, it saved my life on the painted run tow, around 1970.

No one should be cutting corners on safety, if it can't be made profitable, then you don't have a business.
Fair enough, djam. I wasn't necessarily suggesting that we go back to the lax safety of those days and yes, I remember all the lifts had the trip wire safety switch at the top just past the offload point. I just hope lift management can resolve the staffing issue soon.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
sure Oldie, I expected you understood, it was mostly for others reading.

The problem with Baw Baw, is it hasn't made money for years and even when it did, it needed the owners (I was one of them) to take shortcuts. In the early days it was run by volunteers and friends, those days are long gone. If you wanted something, you did it, with your money, not asking for someone else to do it, that is how stuff got done.

Yet there are some that think throwing more money (not their money) at it will somehow fix it. It just isn't so. Those same people complain about the costs now. Baw Baw needs to reinvent itself to work with it's best assets.

Power (energy) is an issue, but it will never be connected to the grid, as the cost of maintaining a grid connection would cost more then the current generators. Best I can see on that front, is a huge solar array making hydrogen all green season, then using that hydrogen for the winter. But that will be a long way off yet, if ever viable.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
sure Oldie, I expected you understood, it was mostly for others reading.

The problem with Baw Baw, is it hasn't made money for years and even when it did, it needed the owners (I was one of them) to take shortcuts. In the early days it was run by volunteers and friends, those days are long gone. If you wanted something, you did it, with your money, not asking for someone else to do it, that is how stuff got done.

Yet there are some that think throwing more money (not their money) at it will somehow fix it. It just isn't so. Those same people complain about the costs now. Baw Baw needs to reinvent itself to work with it's best assets.

Power (energy) is an issue, but it will never be connected to the grid, as the cost of maintaining a grid connection would cost more then the current generators. Best I can see on that front, is a huge solar array making hydrogen all green season, then using that hydrogen for the winter. But that will be a long way off yet, if ever viable.
I am interested in why they aren't able to make a $$ when they have to close the gate because it's full? When every one of those cars is paying $60 to enter. And a lot of people stumping up for toboggan hire. So they are getting some $$ out of the snow players.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The same mob who "manage" Lake Mountain AFAIK also "manage" Baw Baw in ski season. They seem to have limited experience running ski resorts AFAIK.
It is not beyond the realm of possibility that Baw Baw will be killed off the way Mt. Buffalo was and has been in terms of ending lifted down hill skiing , infrastructure, grooming services,on mountain accommodation etc. etc..
:-((

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
easy, because it costs more then that to run the resort then they collect.

Governments are not known for being efficient are running anything, and the reality is, the private business barely made ends meet back in the day. At best they made wages, on average, on bad years, you mortgaged your home, to have the funds to continue the following year.

The southern two resorts already get (Government hand out) around $7 million a year to get by, i.e. they lose 7 million per year. The other 3 resorts get next to zero. Under the new ARV it is looking like the government are expecting the big three to cough up the shortfall for the southern resorts. Just what the bigger three need, even more debit to pay.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
easy, because it costs more then that to run the resort then they collect.

Governments are not known for being efficient are running anything, and the reality is, the private business barely made ends meet back in the day. At best they made wages, on average, on bad years, you mortgaged your home, to have the funds to continue the following year.

The southern two resorts already get (Government hand out) around $7 million a year to get by, i.e. they lose 7 million per year. The other 3 resorts get next to zero. Under the new ARV it is looking like the government are expecting the big three to cough up the shortfall for the southern resorts. Just what the bigger three need, even more debit to pay.
Hmm, understand what you are saying. But I think they are leaving revenue on the table. The people want to, and are, going there. Without changing/spending much they could increase $/per person. Day trippers should be going there rather than Buller. But Baw Baw needs to be smarter in how they manage that.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
These are some of the proposals .

A new educational centre at the day visitors building

2 new runs one on the other side of the Maltese and one on the other side of big hill and painted

A multi level car park in the day car park

A big centre for supermarket supplies and day spa kind of setup.. sorry I’m a bit vague on that one!!
A new chairlift

A new Hotel

These proposals have been put forward to the gov , i think its all a pipe dream. Baw Baw cannot get enough funding now , apparently this would be achieved over 20+ yrs . What will the stakeholders be paying in rates with all these upgrades ??? Most clubs find it already difficult with power, gas and service charges.

We had a chairlift once , what happened to power from the grid and sealing of south face road ?

We can't even get a lease that goes for 20 yrs , but sadly i think Baw Baw and the long standing private not for profit clubs will all be gone returned free to the government.

1f62c.png
1f644.png

Some good and some far fetched ideas there BBB.

What me Very suss is that the General public are never told anything about ‘future improvements’ until the bulldozes (or whatever?) are working the ground.

There’s 0 confidence of what will happen and 0 recognition (publically) that changes (improvements) are desperately required.

That said, I love the mountain and Will had up now and then.

But take XC - how do BBRM seriously think we’ll drive for nearly 3 hours in each direction and spend $50-55, fight the site-seers in the car parks and cafes, to dodge footprints and see virtually no grooming - nothing regular that is!

And then we see fair if somewhat confronting comments removed from the BB FB page - leaving the happy, sunny (go Team!) comments alone.

Perhaps if there was a minister that actually believed in improving BB, things might change.

With Health & education and other ‘person’ services screaming for attention, I don’t see small snow resorts getting a look in.

Perhaps if there was an AFL team based at BB - some sports money might be found. Just look at the money spent on the G, Kardinia Park Or Melbourne Park. (Tennis). - 1% of this money would improve BB forever!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
BB looks a bit sad today on the snow cameras.We need a big July snow fall .

Snow in June is gone too soon. ❄️ ⛄️

Realistically, Bawbs is a fraction too low for reliable alpine skiing - even by Oz standards. Use it while it’s good - accept that it will ordinary or worse, much/most of the time - esp with CC accelerating.

I sound (are) old in noting this, but in the mid 80s - mid 90s, even 2000’ or so, one could probably accept fair to good XC most years from early/mid July to early/mid September- give or take a few weeks depending on the season.

In the very best years (95’, 2000’ etc) a maximum backcountry depth of around a metre was reached. And half a metre was not unusual, if not the norm.

These days the natural snow line is close to the top of the ridge line for much of the season, which bodes poorly for runs @ ~ 100m lower.

Now if Bawbs ever received a large enough funding package to quadruple their slushie machine-snow coverage, then the gold-std, Summit/Maltese, guaranteed top-bottom cover would deliver a significantly better quality ski experience, for. A Major part of the season.

As it is, BB appear to pump almost all of their ‘Slushie’-SM on the bottom of the bowl and only up-to tower #2 at Hutt. This will never get serious skiers interested - ie. Intermediate Mums and Dads and teens who would like a ‘real’ ski while the littlies take a beginner's lesson or toboggan with parent #2.

The fact that BBRM don’t / won’t / can’t discuss this problem publicly and state what they plan to do about it is a core part of the overall BB management problem. Yes there’s plenty of others like staff shortage, trail grooming, yarda but if key trails aren’t snow covered for lengthy winter spells and if accompany key lifts don’t spin, the RM should be surprised if no’s. Drop away and satisfaction with actual skiing falls too.

It’s another year and Covid, staff no’s. Aside, the same old BB issues are still front and centre! :rolleyes:

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
Some good and some far fetched ideas there BBB.

What me Very suss is that the General public are never told anything about ‘future improvements’ until the bulldozes (or whatever?) are working the ground.

There’s 0 confidence of what will happen and 0 recognition (publically) that changes (improvements) are desperately required.

That said, I love the mountain and Will had up now and then.

But take XC - how do BBRM seriously think we’ll drive for nearly 3 hours in each direction and spend $50-55, fight the site-seers in the car parks and cafes, to dodge footprints and see virtually no grooming - nothing regular that is!

And then we see fair if somewhat confronting comments removed from the BB FB page - leaving the happy, sunny (go Team!) comments alone.

Perhaps if there was a minister that actually believed in improving BB, things might change.

With Health & education and other ‘person’ services screaming for attention, I don’t see small snow resorts getting a look in.

Perhaps if there was an AFL team based at BB - some sports money might be found. Just look at the money spent on the G, Kardinia Park Or Melbourne Park. (Tennis). - 1% of this money would improve BB forever!
Totally agree, yes an AFL Team at Baw Baw what would it be called ?? The no funding .

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass