Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
I expect that would be the sixties, I think those ex army trucks had all gone by the 70's. Newer purpose build buses replaced them. I used to sit next to the driver as a kid, just behind the flap (slide reversed) the guy in blue might be buttoning up, there was a small shelf there for the chains.

The location looks like the Mil with the road up on the right.

Last edited:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The Whitelaw tree is
being subjected to logging within 200 M. of it. It is one
of
the
biggest trees in the state of Vic..
Our logging policy is so screwed. Contractors and Vicforests are screaming about 2030, when they are there predecessors have decades of access to e biggest and most lucrative stands of ash.

Sure fires have made a big (huge) dent in future logging activity. But logging should have been reduced in volume eons ago (they had the maps and the date!) and brought back to a more sustainable, less catastrophic levels ages ago. But corporate and individual greed trumps the environment and our kids future every time. It’s tragic.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Our logging policy is so screwed. Contractors and Vicforests are screaming about 2030, when they are there predecessors have decades of access to e biggest and most lucrative stands of ash.

Sure fires have made a big (huge) dent in future logging activity. But logging should have been reduced in volume eons ago (they had the maps and the date!) and brought back to a more sustainable, less catastrophic levels ages ago. But corporate and individual greed trumps the environment and our kids future every time. It’s tragic.
We are doomed . Just go skiing.

Reactions: snowgum

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Jun 22, 2000
vic
In 2011 there was a dryslope tubing park top of ex chairlift run.
Probably typical one season effort.
Maintain what is there before a pissed off patron sues for a fortune.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
In 2011 there was a dryslope tubing park top of ex chairlift run.
Probably typical one season effort.
Maintain what is there before a pissed off patron sues for a fortune.
There’s no long-term vision for BB. It’s all rehashing (& sometimes refurbishing) the old infrastructure for a few more years.

Bb could further into that mythical chairlift that’s never happened. Possibly bid for a fixed grip quad in reasonable Nic.

Fund it with some if that Regional Development / AKA ‘Sports Rorts’ $s to cover the expense.

& Buy 2 or 3 more slushy machines for guaranteed top to bottom cover, and maybe buy an extra groomer if they’re struggling these days?

And add a decent wind/solar power station - & investigate hydro - it work for Stirling, admittedly at a very small scale.

Sth & West Gippsland (& SE metro) needs BB fully functional- time for the Government to listen.

Does anyone know what the local state MP, BB shire & Latrobe City councils think about the future of BB?

If it was an attraction in the northeast Alps & valleys, CoWang & Wodonga, Indigo & Alpine shires would be banging the gong! :deadhorse:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
There’s no long-term vision for BB. It’s all rehashing (& sometimes refurbishing) the old infrastructure for a few more years.

Bb could further into that mythical chairlift that’s never happened. Possibly bid for a fixed grip quad in reasonable Nic.

Fund it with some if that Regional Development / AKA ‘Sports Rorts’ $s to cover the expense.

& Buy 2 or 3 more slushy machines for guaranteed top to bottom cover, and maybe buy an extra groomer if they’re struggling these days?

And add a decent wind/solar power station - & investigate hydro - it work for Stirling, admittedly at a very small scale.

Sth & West Gippsland (& SE metro) needs BB fully functional- time for the Government to listen.

Does anyone know what the local state MP, BB shire & Latrobe City councils think about the future of BB?

If it was an attraction in the northeast Alps & valleys, CoWang & Wodonga, Indigo & Alpine shires would be banging the gong! :deadhorse:
S and W .Gippsland skiers should not allow BB to go the way of Mt. Buffalo( on mothballs/ cactus/ decomissioned/ death by planned neglect ) without a fight.

I think they should get cracking while an election in Vic. is around the corner in November 2022.
.The trouble is the state ALP have only one or two seats outside of the Melb. metro zone so they simply don't care.
Moreover Dictator Dan has probably never skied in his life which is odd because he comes from Wangaratta.He doesn't look like an outdoors fitness and recreation kind of person to me at all.

Reactions: Baw Baw Bear

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
S and W .Gippsland skiers should not allow BB to go the way of Mt. Buffalo( on mothballs/ cactus/ decomissioned/ death by planned neglect ) without a fight.

I think they should get cracking while an election in Vic. is around the corner in November 2022.
.The trouble is the state ALP have only one or two seats outside of the Melb. metro zone so they simply don't care.
Moreover Dictator Dan has probably never skied in his life which is odd because he comes from Wangaratta.He doesn't look like an outdoors fitness and recreation kind of person to me at all.

No, I suspect only a few MPs ski regularly (as Thwaites did) but very few would do the xc / BB type trip. Wrong demographic!

To be fair, if Libs got in I doubt theyd plough money into BB. They'd tender and it would probably go to a Lib mate (all parties do it!)

Bb really needs major Govt funding to make it more commercially viable.

In this post Covid - large deficit - era, I just dont see the Govt / any Govt funding big game changing infrastructure.

Its not AFL or Cricket, Tennis, Golf or Grand Prix (f1) and its too far from Mel to win votes!

Now if Gina R or Twiggy left a bequest??

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
No, I suspect only a few MPs ski regularly (as Thwaites did) but very few would do the xc / BB type trip. Wrong demographic!

To be fair, if Libs got in I doubt theyd plough money into BB. They'd tender and it would probably go to a Lib mate (all parties do it!)

Bb really needs major Govt funding to make it more commercially viable.

In this post Covid - large deficit - era, I just dont see the Govt / any Govt funding big game changing infrastructure.

Its not AFL or Cricket, Tennis, Golf or Grand Prix (f1) and its too far from Mel to win votes!

Now if Gina R or Twiggy left a bequest??
Some people are beyond redemption After they expire even if they did leave their squillion dollars behind to help the environment/the arts/skiing/human
rights etc..
Someone like Gina Reinhardt leaving
Money behind to help make skiing viable for poor people in Moe and Warragul seems unlikely.

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
6C31AC0B-718A-4797-8422-0F11128EC32C.jpeg
Here’s an old slide a guy I work with dug up,early 70’s he thinks.
What a weapon of a vehicle!
Not to mention the tree in the background….
I remember as child riding in the back of those Chevy Blitz. Also when they got stuck in the snow all the dads would get out and push . Still remember the noise they made ..

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Jun 22, 2000
vic
or when it was really stuck, that was where you got out and walked.
And nobody complained.
Even when skiers in jeans were turning solid waiting for the new chair down.
They got priority loading depending on the volume of their chattering teeth. :)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Sorry if I ‘had’ you there T man.

Apologies for ramming home the point here. This retort is becoming more common from leaders around the world - English speaking at least? Usually spoken by someone who like to contract out the service delivery and blame the service provider not themselves, the manager/ minister/ director…

As for BB issues, it’s mot like RM want to tell us why - except staff issues and unseasonable (early winter?) weather. Perhaps they’d receive more sympathy from the public if would address issues, use non grooming of xc trails and non running of lifts with skiable snow in situ.

Mar 19, 2020
I have some super 8 movies from the sixties and when the buses and chairlift used to run. If anyone could help show me how to post them here Cheers
Yes, absolutely, no question.
Your best bet would be to upload them onto YouTube and post the link here.

If you haven't got them digitised yet, there's a few places that can do it for you and give you the files.

If you need a bit more help, pm me and I can give you my mobile number to talk you through it. Although I don't Check in here too often

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass