Snow Report Mt Baw Baw 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Spot on and you cannot even comment on their facebook page, or on the website . Some people have asked why are the ski tows not running ? Commenting gets switched off also . :headbang:
:tany:
It must be vexing if you have sunk money into operating accommodation infrastructure and the like at BB.
If the powers that be cancel the whole resort operations in white season then only one mystery fire would wipe out the buildings, ski tows etc. and then Parks Vic. would bulldoze the remaining site save for a cafe or two and voila! :
You would have the same scenario that has brought Mt. Buffalo to where it is now.

A Fire at Cresta Valley wiped out the ski lodges there . IMHO it was super iffy, suspect and dodgy and reeked of an insurance job to me. The real bushfire that summer was miles away , burning on the other side of Mt. Buffalo.

I must say Gippsland people do enjoy having Baw Baw as a ski option rather than having to drive to Dinner Plain.
Even basic services at Mt. St. Gwinear have dwindled over the years.
It is important that a consistent campaign about these things be waged in the lead up the election.
However the state ALP have only one or two seats outside of the Melb. metro zone and frankly they could not give a rat's ar*e about these things , be they Baw Baw, Mt. Buffalo or anything else like that.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Well if the snow cover is good enough in late August or Early Sept. then I might try to XC ski from MSG car park to BB village, eat , rest and ski back !.
That ski tour is still in my " to do " list .Of course I would be fagged by the end of it and would camp out at O Shea's mill quite happily at the end of such a day.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
It must be vexing if you have sunk money into operating accommodation infrastructure and the like at BB.
If the powers that be cancel the whole resort operations in white season then only one mystery fire would wipe out the buildings, ski tows etc. and then Parks Vic. would bulldoze the remaining site save for a cafe or two and voila! :
You would have the same scenario that has brought Mt. Buffalo to where it is now.

A Fire at Cresta Valley wiped out the ski lodges there . IMHO it was super iffy, suspect and dodgy and reeked of an insurance job to me. The real bushfire that summer was miles away , burning on the other side of Mt. Buffalo.

I must say Gippsland people do enjoy having Baw Baw as a ski option rather than having to drive to Dinner Plain.
Even basic services at Mt. St. Gwinear have dwindled over the years.
It is important that a consistent campaign about these things be waged in the lead up the election.
However the state ALP have only one or two seats outside of the Melb. metro zone and frankly they could not give a rat's ar*e about these things , be they Baw Baw, Mt. Buffalo or anything else like that.
You are correct T but in nearly 4 decades of winter visitation Im yet to see a single solitary commitment to fund infrastuctureatany of the small mtns nor major upgrades to Xc facilities.

Neither major party believes they'll pick up one extra vote from either measure. Now it it was a major sport? (Sigh!)

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Jun 22, 2000
vic
Jeepers. I am so glad I did not book a parking entry permit and a lift ticket for today at BB. NO Summit T bar running , nothing. What a joke!

At least Drover's Dream at Falls Creek is a good long wide green run/ learners' slope to work on your turns after 2 years plus of hardly any skiing.

So what if a day pass lift ticket at Falls costs up to AUD$180.00 ?
At least you will get 100 % or as good as value for money including proper groomed snow, fully staffed lifts turning and all other amenities that a PROPER ski resort makes people pay for.
Downhiller's Dream, yes.
Unlimited water from the lake.
One season we had to commute daily from Hotham.
Runs were closed sequentially while they created an ice base on them.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Furthermore, most savvy politicians realize that most Aussie voters are too lazy or indifferent to change the vote on ‘small’, local issues / say like more funding for MtSG& BBaw.

We’re in a race to the bottom re operation of our public services and facilities but most of us are too worried about their house value or their next tax cut to notice.

Very sad, a very stupid country!
We get what we ‘deserve’ (accept)? :(:crap:

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Despite the weather forecast for yesterday, I decided to go up. Sunny for most of the morning and overcast in the afternoon. Wind was nowhere as bad as predicted, although it was picking up in the afternoon. Didn't seem that any grooming had been done and in the shaded areas there were a few "boilerplate" sections until they softened during the day. More people there than I expected. Early afternoon there were medium sized queues at both Hut and Summit. Commented to a staff member, who said she recognised me from a few years ago, about Tank not operating and she said that lack of staff was to blame. I had a good time lapping Hut, La Descente and Mid Summit, although it was getting quite choppy towards mid afternoon. Definately needed some TLC from the groomers. Overall I had a good day.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hut run and Summit T bar tows are reported as operating today on the BB web site but the R*** has damaged the surface and depleted the natural snow cover.
Come to Falls (here) it’s depleted cover everywhere.
And the loss is probably worse in NSW - they’ve had about 30-40% more rain than Hotham/Falls.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I am coming up to Falls Creek early tomorrow to ski out to the Rover Chalet for a week.
I am hoping for some fresh snow ASAP.
Next week should have somewhat better weather T.

This week has been rather poor. Be grateful you’re not heading out in the murk today!

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
What a surprise! It appears, from the cams that Tank Hill is operating today!!
200.gif

camera5.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: travelislife
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Curses upon whoever is in charge of communication/management at Baw Baw this season. This morning's report from 6 a.m. said "Tourist road : Open. Resort entry: Open". I got there at 10.30 a.m. to be told, "Sorry, there's a crane truck working on the road and you cannot go up". I wish to apologise to the young man in whose direction I swore. Management : incompetent.
Season Pass holder awaits apology. Not holding breath.

Oldie

Hard Yards
May 1, 2002
Outer SE Melbourne
Curses upon whoever is in charge of communication/management at Baw Baw this season. This morning's report from 6 a.m. said "Tourist road : Open. Resort entry: Open". I got there at 10.30 a.m. to be told, "Sorry, there's a crane truck working on the road and you cannot go up". I wish to apologise to the young man in whose direction I swore. Management : incompetent.
Hi Chris. While I can understand your frustrations, the road closure was mentioned on BBs website. The reports/conditions site said "for urgent drainage works" and due to be finished at around 11. I don't t think the daily morning email said anything about the closure though. I agree, that the communication from BB in general is not very good!

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Had a great weekend up at Baw Baw. Blue bird and very warm on Saturday morning after freeze overnight and then it changed about midday. For 1.5hrs yesterday afternoon it was fat, fluffy, dry flakes and absolutely still, now wind. The skiing was brilliant. That fun silent skiing, and the squeak under the skis as you ride the T bars up. Last run of the day I dropped in to Champagne (closed) and had fresh tracks with it to myself. Short walk back up to the lodge at the end. All tows other than Maltese running.

Today woke to about 3-4cms on the runs overnight. The weather came in, bit of wind about, but no rain, some decent heavy snow, but a bit wetter than yesterday. Great fun lapping both sides of Painted, and through the trees either side. Was glad I got the overnight wax as was a bit sticky mid summit where it flattens out. Again, all ties other than Maltese. I dropped Champagne again as last run of the day and I think it would definitely be good to go tomorrow if they wanted to open it.

All in was a great weekend and all the staff were great.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The RMB at BB could not run a bath. I am spending my time and money at Falls Creek thank you very much.

Reactions: The Plowking

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
Had a great weekend up at Baw Baw. Blue bird and very warm on Saturday morning after freeze overnight and then it changed about midday. For 1.5hrs yesterday afternoon it was fat, fluffy, dry flakes and absolutely still, now wind. The skiing was brilliant. That fun silent skiing, and the squeak under the skis as you ride the T bars up. Last run of the day I dropped in to Champagne (closed) and had fresh tracks with it to myself. Short walk back up to the lodge at the end. All tows other than Maltese running.

Today woke to about 3-4cms on the runs overnight. The weather came in, bit of wind about, but no rain, some decent heavy snow, but a bit wetter than yesterday. Great fun lapping both sides of Painted, and through the trees either side. Was glad I got the overnight wax as was a bit sticky mid summit where it flattens out. Again, all ties other than Maltese. I dropped Champagne again as last run of the day and I think it would definitely be good to go tomorrow if they wanted to open it.

All in was a great weekend and all the staff were great.
Maltese not being open is a travesty.
Pointless resort without it open.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Maltese not being open is a travesty.
Pointless resort without it open.
Yes I agree it is the best terrain and area to ski for an adult. But I don’t agree it is a pointless resort without it. Our main reason for going there is to get our kids going in a cost effective way, and it delivers that in spades compared to the big 3. Id actually be happy to pay more if they zeroed in on the kids and first timer experience. I think with the right attention they could deliver a great product for that market segment.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using