Trip Report Mt.Baw Baw N.P. 27 & 28/2/21.Hidden huts and the AAWT

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your correspondent in the field went to walk with the friends of Baw Baw group during the last weekend of summer 2020-21.
We visited the somewhat hidden Jan's hut , NBW hut and The Rover Hut. In addition to that we walked up the AAWT from Mt. Erica car park and camped near the Talbot hut ruins on Sat. night.
We bumped into @chriscross who was out for a day walk on 27/2/21.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I drove up to camp at the East Tyers campsite on the AAWT on the Friday afternoon,26.2.21.
It is very soothing camping there.
_SAM8678.JPG
_SAM8679.JPG
_SAM8680.JPG
_SAM8681.JPG
_SAM8682.JPG
_SAM8684.JPG
_SAM8685.JPG

Reactions: neilmny and Seth

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I was up at day break the next day and I was soon packed and ready to meet the other walkers at the junction of Thompson Valley Road and Hut road. I had trouble finding this place and went around in circles for 20 minutes at least. I would have been early but I was having trouble finding the place and it was discombobulating.
Eventually I found the place but the others had set off without the three walkers ( including yours truly ) who had struggled to locate the rendezvous point on time.
We found a detailed map under the wiper of a parked vehicle and powered off to locate the hut.

Thankfully we caught up with the group by walking up the locked logging road at a brisk pace.
Jan's hut is said to be tricky to find but we found it and I have now ticked it off my list.

The idea of using it for XC ski access (and a base )to the Baw Baw Plateau has been shelved after the President of the Friends of Baw Baw said to me that the route from Mustering Flat to Jan's hut is a hideously slow off track scrub bash.
It took him 6 hours to walk it !!!
:-0
Maybe @Ubiquitous Steve could see this route as a challenge in taming the wilderness with his Team Bears !?!

There is a stream near the hut that was flowing and a campsite just before you reach the old hut.
At present the final section of the walk has been tagged and taped.

Photos of the Jan's hut half day walk.
_SAM8686.JPG
_SAM8688.JPG
_SAM8690.JPG
_SAM8697.JPG
_SAM8691.JPG
_SAM8692.JPG
_SAM8694.JPG
_SAM8695.JPG
_SAM8696.JPG

Reactions: neilmny and Seth

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
[/QUOTE]
you accessed Jans from below or above...interested..
We came in From Below. From Above coming in from Mustering Flat, that route had been scouted out by our walk leader just recently . He said it was an off track scrub bash and less than 1 km per hour type walking. It took him 6 hours!!

Reactions: The Bluff

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Sunday at dawn , it was looking like a good day for walking .The whole area was full of campers !!!.After breakfast we went to visit the Talbot Peak trig. point as a warm up walk.

The main hike on 28/2/21
Involved scrub bashing down the mountain , off track from Mt. Erica and
locating NBW hut from above.
It was slow going to cover 3 kms or so in 3 hours. Some of that was quite steep, slippery and overgrown. There was NO TRACK.
It had been recently taped and tagged by our two navigators /Leaders.

The route from NBW hut to where it meets the AAWT near Mushroom rocks is marked with yellow tape but is also quite slow going too.
We ate lunch at Mushroom Rocks and went to visit the Scout hut.
_SAM8725.JPG
_SAM8726.JPG
_SAM8727.JPG
_SAM8728.JPG
_SAM8729.JPG
_SAM8730.JPG
_SAM8731.JPG
_SAM8732.JPG
_SAM8733.JPG
_SAM8734.JPG
_SAM8736.JPG

Last edited: