1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Mt Baw Baw tell me about the place ....

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ricardo64, May 4, 2021.

1. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

Hello Brains Trust,

Let me start by saying... I have never been to Mt Baw Baw!! I am thinking of tacking my Gf here to do a few beginner classes and learn to snow board. In the meantime I thought I might skin around and see the backcountry.
    • Is the backcountry aound the area worth the effort ?
    • where should I to go ?
    thanks in advance

2. Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Unfortunately most of open areas are the flat swampy bits. However you may be able to get a few turns on the upper half of the old access chairlift run or the jeep track (now the MTB downhill trail) beside it. There is also a short north facing line over the back of Painted Run T-bar. Both options would require at least 80cm snow depth, that is possible but not regular.

snowgum likes this.
  3. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So, where are you located? Where have you skied/boarded before? What experience has your gf had? Can she ski/board at all? BB has no chair lifts so lift access is by t-bar or poma. Not ideal for beginner snowboarders but you can learn to use them.
    BB access road is very windy and a bit slow but also very scenic (where logging has not destroyed the environment). There are no runs that are steep or long, but for beginners/low intermediates/ xc - telemark skiers there is fun to be had. Maltese Cross is the most interesting/challenging run, depending on conditions. The top section of the summit can test when icy. Champagne is well named, wide and cruisy at the top but then a gully drop.
    The backcountry is accessed by ski trails from the N/E side of the summit ridge but it is much more suited to bc skiers rather than boarders as there is little in the way of downhill runs and you have to travel quite a way to get to them, eg St Phillack saddle. The blue trail from Phillack to St Gwinear is highly regarded by bb plateau skiers but you have to know how to find it. A creek valley (cascade creek north?)
    BB is a beautiful place and a great little ski hill as long as you understand its limitations. Hope you get there on a good day. But be very mindful of beginners. Ski school a good idea.

4. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

I have boarded most vic mountains and survived several Nz south Island trips, I thought BB would be good for my gf, learning to board is hard enough for a person who has never seen snow let alone the challenge of a T bar or a poma.. why not just throw onto a rope tow?

May just take her up to Hotham where she can enjoy the big D and enjoy the atmosphere and the lessons. Emphasis on Enjoy !!

5. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Your heading says: 'Tell me about the place.' I tried. Hotham not great for beginners, imo.

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  6. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

Of all the Vic resorts Falls has the most green and blue terrain and is very snowboarder friendly....

7. Onlybackscratchers

Onlybackscratchers One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I forgot to mention the old run to the right of the now disused Big Hill Platter lift. 50 metres of vertical to play with, and not far from the beginner area to access, skiable probably from 50cm+.
    Depending on your GF's abilities there is a magic carpet learning area and then the Summit T-bar is the next best option, catch it 3/4 up to just before the steeper section. Plenty, including myself have learnt to snowboard from that lift.

Tip: Go mid-week, you will more than likely have the place to yourself and the instructor will probably be pleased to see you.

nezumi, snowgum and Chaeron like this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis Not your average unconventional eccentric. Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

The Baw Baw N.P . is beautiful . I am a member of The Friends of Baw Baw. The XC and BC XC ski options up there are numerous. If there is very good cover you can go anywhere on BC skis on the plateau. The BB ski village is small and learner friendly. I have stayed in one of the cabins in the ski village at BB during the summer.
    :)
    Wednesdays during the snow season features a cheap lift ticket offer at BB.

snowgum likes this.
  9. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The website hasn't been updated since last year, but if she is a keen never-ever it might be worth keeping an eye out for Hotham's Brand New Day offer: https://www.mthotham.com.au/lessons-hire/signature-programs/brand-new-day