Trip Report Mt. Baw Baw XC ski day . Amazing Snow. Nov. 16th 2021.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
The cold front that was coming was looking like a Baw Baw special from a week away. I frothed a lot about it to other people and in the end only @beefa skiing could
be convinced to meet /accompany me for some post lockdown spring skiing at Baw Baw.
So your correspondent in the field drove up to camp the night at the verdant and flood damaged East Tyers camp ground a.k.a O ` Shea's Mill.
There were leeches and mosquitoes for company and the rain came and went on and off all day and all night. I retired early only to be woken by two AAWT hikers making their camp in the dark. They would be walking over the Baw Baws over the next two days with 30 + cms of fresh snow without snow shoes, micro spikes or BC XC skis.
I woke up early on 16.11.21 and was packed and ready by 0630am. I met @beefa skiing on the South Face road. The access road to the campsite was dodgy and iffy for a low slung 2wd sedan.
We drove up the Mt. Baw Baw road.
All 2 WD had to fit chains. AWD and 4 WD were excepted. That is what the sign said.
I had my chains in my car boot but my car was fine in low gear with the AWD and All Terrain tyres gripping the road up to the car park.
We got ready and were off XC skiing just before 0900. We met @Boodwah on his skis as we set off to XC ski the Village Nordic ski trails.
@beefa skiing was on his classic skinny skis . I should have brought my new Telemark ski rig but just pulled out my tried and trusted Madshus Epoch skis and my NNN BC boots.
We were both quite rusty having not skied since the late July Mt. No.3 refuge hut BC XC ski trip.
The snow was quite dry until about 1300 when we headed back to the ski village and the whole scene looked like mid winter in a good season.
Local staff said it was
the best dump of snow they had had during 2021.
We had a great day out and met @chriscross on the Summit trail.
The Photos will tell a better tale.

Reactions: Claude Cat

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
It was nice to wake up with the tree ferns and tall trees and the sound of running water. The East Tyers Camping ground makes a good spot for camping a night before or a night after skiing the Baw Baw area at Mt. St. Gwinear or Baw Baw resort area.
_SAM0516.JPG
_SAM0517.JPG
_SAM0518.JPG
_SAM0520.JPG
_SAM0521.JPG
_SAM0522.JPG
_SAM0523.JPG

Reactions: BlueHue

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
We were off and skiing and had fresh tracks on the Nordic ski trails for at least the
first 2-3 hours. It was dry, fresh and good to ski on. I am going to be sore tomorrow!
_SAM0531.JPG

No snow. You read the sign and go home and put those XC skis away!!
_SAM0532.JPG
_SAM0533.JPG
_SAM0534.JPG
_SAM0537.JPG
_SAM0538.JPG
_SAM0541.JPG
_SAM0542.JPG
_SAM0543.JPG

New signs...new for me since I was XC skiing this route last in Nov. 2019.

_SAM0544.JPG

Reactions: Froff Life

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
After a timid and crash ridden start our Rusty XC ski skills and confidence began to return, esp. on the Blue runs/ descending bends. There were a couple of washed out sections but overall the 30cm deep fresh snow cover was better than anyone could have hoped for regarding a solid 4 hours of Nordic skiing in November.
We had a snack/rest en route but took lunch back at the Village.
By that time the snow was becoming softer and the footprint/snow shoe crowd were making their appearance and trashing the surface for skiing.
_SAM0545.JPG
_SAM0546.JPG
_SAM0547.JPG
_SAM0548.JPG
_SAM0551.JPG
_SAM0558.JPG
_SAM0555.JPG

My newish Mont Hydronaut over pants get the thumbs up from me. During our ski session it started snowing which was a bonus.

Last edited:

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
Up near the Summit the scenery was caked with wind driven ice and snow. It was what you would expect to see in Late July/ early August.
_SAM0560.JPG
_SAM0561.JPG
_SAM0562.JPG
_SAM0563.JPG
_SAM0564.JPG
_SAM0565.JPG
_SAM0566.JPG
_SAM0567.JPG
_SAM0568.JPG
On the drive out after lunch
snow was still caked on the roadside vegetation down to at least 1200 M. ASL. It was extraordinary.
better than 2019 ?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
better than 2019 ?
I was comparing the Table o meter photos from My Nov. 2019 Baw Baw ski trip report. It may well have been deeper, fresher and possibly drier snow than in Nov. 2019.

My ski skills and ski fitness were way more up to the mark in spring 2019 after skiing 25 days+ during the 2019 season without any interruptions or restrictions.
I am sore today . XC skiing gives you a workout that no other activity can replicate , not even distance swimming, cycling or surfing.
As @chriscross has remarked it was great day out esp. after being confined at home for much of the 2021 ski season.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

bawbawbel

Easi Ski.....
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2000
vic
I don't know or care really. He is on his own trip man. . If I can go skiing here in Australia then I am gone!. There is no stopping me !! I hope I can get a ski lesson with you next season @bawbawbel .
It probably takes 10 solid skiing days for the rage to dissipate enough for you to contemplate wasting one with me.
But here's hoping :)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I will have to do as @chriscross suggests after such a hiatus of consistent skiing time in order to benefit from @bawbawbel 's instructions, approach and lessons.
Although @dossa5 suggests nipping any bad habits and wrong muscle memory in the bud early in the ski season in order to correctly learn new and better techniques sooner.

Reactions: slotele
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass