VIC Alpine Mt Bogong 12-15 September 2015

telecommuter

One of Us
Sep 10, 2009
In the Backcountry
Mt Bogong 12 – 15 September 2015

Saturday 12th September

A lazy start from Wodonga saw myself and two of my lads head out towards Tawonga. My eldest, Tom, was only up for the weekend so we took 2 cars for 3 people! Mum and Dad are overseas so only 2 generations of skiers this time! The Camp Creek Gap car park was pretty full when we arrived, with another two groups heading off just before us. The climb was still the climb, a break at the creek and lunch at Michell Hut before setting up camp at the junction of Granite Flat & Eskdale Spurs. For the afternoon we played on the side of the Spur, taking a few pics and coo-eeing to the people who seemed to be building an igloo between Castor and Pollux – if you read this, let me know, I’ll send you some pics I took of you! Some great runs and even better photos of the gully runs of Eskdale. Much fun! Sunset was quite nice although a bit cloud-blocked.
bogong01.JPG

bogong02.JPG

bogong04.JPG

Sunday 13th September

I set the alarm early so I could watch the sunrise – it was worth it! Beautiful colours and a clear sky, promising a bluebird day. Destination was West Peak and a nice gully there I had admired from the Falls Creek Rd a few times. A quick climb to the top and the obligatory Summit Cairn photos before a quick run out to West Peak.

bogong03.JPG

bogong05.JPG

The gully was off the southern bump there, a long straight steep run. It was still a little crispy, but a fantastic run. We skied it down to 1600m – further was possible but it was getting bushy and a bit rotten in spots so we bootpacked out. It seemed so quick to ski down!
bogong06.JPG

After lunch we did a chute that joined into the same gully near the top, again a steep and relatively narrow drop between the rocks – great fun! We headed back to camp after that as Tom had to get home. After saying farewell to Tom, it was such a pleasant afternoon, so we lazed around in the sun near the tent and admired the spectacular sunset. Life is good!
bogong09.JPG

bogong10.JPG

bogong07.JPG

Monday 15th September

Another beautiful sunrise, before heading back to the top. Cairn Gully was the venue, and my youngest lad thought that Tombstone was the best route in. He was right! A great drop in off the top and superb skiing down the gully. Another run in Cairn Gully itself was just perfect. Good spring snow and a nice consistent slope, that tele rhythm was working just fine! After a lunch break we chatted to another couple of blokes who dropped into Cairn, then headed off to try and ski another chute opposite Eskdale Spur. We skied down the top half, only to find that the snow below was rotten and undermined in a number of areas. We thought that discretion was the better part of valour and booted back up to the top and over to Eskdale Point for a nice run back to camp. Might try that one again when there is more snow! Sunset again – spectacular!
bogong08.JPG

Tuesday 16th September

High wind. Hail. Thunder. Rain. Ah – what a morning! Thanks to the BOM radar we were able to time breakfast in between the rain/hail, then pack up everything possible inside the tent when the next band hit! It finally cleared a bit to allow us to pack up the rest of the gear and prepare to leave. I had a token ski down the gully below the tent, the snow was rain affected (!) but not too bad. The climb back out was bad though. Trying to kick steps and sinking to my waist each time… Not fun!

The next band of rain and hail hit whilst we were taking a break in Michell Hut, chatting to the two blokes from Cairn yesterday. The weather cleared up a bit to allow us an easy walk back to the now almost empty car park.

Yet another great Bogong trip and an incident-free one this time!

AndrewA

One of Us
Jun 26, 2012
Melbourne
Nice pics, and nice to meet again on Saturday evening as the sun went down. Was going to post some of mine from the weekend, but nowhere near as good!

Managed to calendarize another trip up on GF weekend to finish the year.

Andrew A

Reactions: telecommuter

telecommuter

One of Us
Sep 10, 2009
In the Backcountry
Nice pics, and nice to meet again on Saturday evening as the sun went down. Was going to post some of mine from the weekend, but nowhere near as good!

Managed to calendarize another trip up on GF weekend to finish the year.

Andrew A
Hi Andrew,
Yep was good to catch up in such beautiful surroundings! Please post some pics... Don't think I'll make it for GF weekend unless for a day trip, as we are on the Main Range all next week. Final planned trip is for Melb Cup weekend on Carruthers Peak so hopefully there will be snow!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

jor

First Runs
Aug 17, 2015
Mt Bogong 12 – 15 September 2015
Amazing photos. You rock !
almost as good as being there..thanks you, you brought back some great memories..

Saturday 12th September

A lazy start from Wodonga saw myself and two of my lads head out towards Tawonga. My eldest, Tom, was only up for the weekend so we took 2 cars for 3 people! Mum and Dad are overseas so only 2 generations of skiers this time! The Camp Creek Gap car park was pretty full when we arrived, with another two groups heading off just before us. The climb was still the climb, a break at the creek and lunch at Michell Hut before setting up camp at the junction of Granite Flat & Eskdale Spurs. For the afternoon we played on the side of the Spur, taking a few pics and coo-eeing to the people who seemed to be building an igloo between Castor and Pollux – if you read this, let me know, I’ll send you some pics I took of you! Some great runs and even better photos of the gully runs of Eskdale. Much fun! Sunset was quite nice although a bit cloud-blocked.
bogong01.JPG

bogong02.JPG

bogong04.JPG

Sunday 13th September

I set the alarm early so I could watch the sunrise – it was worth it! Beautiful colours and a clear sky, promising a bluebird day. Destination was West Peak and a nice gully there I had admired from the Falls Creek Rd a few times. A quick climb to the top and the obligatory Summit Cairn photos before a quick run out to West Peak.

bogong03.JPG

bogong05.JPG

The gully was off the southern bump there, a long straight steep run. It was still a little crispy, but a fantastic run. We skied it down to 1600m – further was possible but it was getting bushy and a bit rotten in spots so we bootpacked out. It seemed so quick to ski down!
bogong06.JPG

After lunch we did a chute that joined into the same gully near the top, again a steep and relatively narrow drop between the rocks – great fun! We headed back to camp after that as Tom had to get home. After saying farewell to Tom, it was such a pleasant afternoon, so we lazed around in the sun near the tent and admired the spectacular sunset. Life is good!
bogong09.JPG

bogong10.JPG

bogong07.JPG

Monday 15th September

Another beautiful sunrise, before heading back to the top. Cairn Gully was the venue, and my youngest lad thought that Tombstone was the best route in. He was right! A great drop in off the top and superb skiing down the gully. Another run in Cairn Gully itself was just perfect. Good spring snow and a nice consistent slope, that tele rhythm was working just fine! After a lunch break we chatted to another couple of blokes who dropped into Cairn, then headed off to try and ski another chute opposite Eskdale Spur. We skied down the top half, only to find that the snow below was rotten and undermined in a number of areas. We thought that discretion was the better part of valour and booted back up to the top and over to Eskdale Point for a nice run back to camp. Might try that one again when there is more snow! Sunset again – spectacular!
bogong08.JPG

Tuesday 16th September

High wind. Hail. Thunder. Rain. Ah – what a morning! Thanks to the BOM radar we were able to time breakfast in between the rain/hail, then pack up everything possible inside the tent when the next band hit! It finally cleared a bit to allow us to pack up the rest of the gear and prepare to leave. I had a token ski down the gully below the tent, the snow was rain affected (!) but not too bad. The climb back out was bad though. Trying to kick steps and sinking to my waist each time… Not fun!

The next band of rain and hail hit whilst we were taking a break in Michell Hut, chatting to the two blokes from Cairn yesterday. The weather cleared up a bit to allow us an easy walk back to the now almost empty car park.

Yet another great Bogong trip and an incident-free one this time!

Reactions: telecommuter
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass