1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Mt Bogong Easter hike

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Ricardo64, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone is heading up to Mt Bogong. What conditions should I expect? Is there any reliable water source around Cleve cole hut and Mitchells hut. Is there anything that I should be made aware of ??? this will probably be a solo hike.

thanks for any forthcoming advice ...

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Expect the worst and hope for the best. On one of my two forays onto Bogong for a late Easter walk I was blizzarded off the mountain with the destruction of some companions' tent and a few centimetres of snow.

CarveMan and piolet like this.
  3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yep plenty of Easter lodge work parties at the resorts have been thwarted by snow.

But it can also be beautiful.

Chaeron likes this.
  4. CarveMan

Oh and CC hut has running water from a redirected stream, and the tank at Michell is a factor of recent rain vs how many people have been using it.

Chaeron likes this.
  5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It can be pretty busy. My only foray up bogong was at Easter and we struggled to find a tent site at big river. Cleve Cole area can accommodate lots more.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

The spring at CC hut was dry this time last year and on the Anzac weekend but there has been some good rain of late so it should be running. If not there are creeks nearby and a load of people around to point you in the right direction. Easter in April can be problematic. Weather being one and the other a spot to pitch the tent. You are most likely to get at least one day of crap weather over the 4 days and as mentioned, that can include snow. It snowed last Saturday. A couple of years back quite a number of people missed the Eskdale spur junction in bad weather. A couple on a day trip were gathered up near T spur thinkng they were on the way to the carpark at Camp Creek.

7. currawong

The only time i actually relied on a gps for navigation between waypoints was from cc to top of the eskdale at easter.
    Then rain was actually blowing up the eskdale at us. Michell hut was full of people (including us) stripped to their undies trying to warm up and get their gear a bit less sodden.
    But easter here can be glorious.

Ziggy and piolet like this.
  8. Xplora

It is a bit of a coin toss.

Ricardo64 and currawong like this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

It also matters which approach route you select. There are a number of ways to get up Mt.Bogong.

10. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

Up through Eskdale spur seems the shortest route as I have time constraints to deal with

CarveMan likes this.
  11. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Everyman and his dog will be on Bogong /Feathertop over Easter!
    Team Bears will be keeping well away from the masses!

Even the top routes viz.Longspur and Stoneytops May get traffic jambs!:whistle:

Maybe time for a permit system to curtail the browsing scroggin eaters!:p

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  12. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

pick your weekend, then watch the weather and decide on where / route etc on the 4-dayer, rather than pick a weekend and go, IMO

Granite gets you closerer than camp ck gap, but its a small carpark

13. CarveMan

Also reports in the BC chatter thread that the road into Granite is a bit rough right now.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Water may well be a bit short. I don't know whether the spring on the side of Bogong is permanent. I wouldn't count on the tanks.
    Verify with the Mt Bogong Club or Parks Vic.

Chaeron likes this.
  15. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

thanks everyone for the wise words unfortunately family commitments killed the Easter Hike, However I would like to do this prior to the white season

16. currawong

you'll probably enjoy it more without the Easter crowd

Chaeron and cornice11 like this.
  17. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

Just another quick question, I understand that the incoming road Gap Creek Road, can have debris and trees blown across it, I drive a Vw Toureg would this vehicle do ok, is a heavy duty 4WD required ? (pre and during White season)

18. CarveMan

I've got a Touareg and it's absolutely fine, I've driven a C Class Merc Sedan into Camp Creek as well.

If a tree falls on the road it won't matter what kind of car you've got, you're probably gonna need a chainsaw.

19. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

20. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

Got That Covered !!! Stihl farmboss chews through all

Chaeron and CarveMan like this.
  21. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Camp Creek Gap is do-able in a nissan micra - the road's in pretty good nick right now.

I'm new-ish to the chainsaw game, but sometimes it's not as easy and quick as it looks to clear a fallen tree. Someone wise mentioned on another thread (might be the one quoted above) that with a multi limb tree it can often be hard to tell which side is under tension.

Also, drag chains and shovel a good idea.

22. AndrewA

AndrewA One of Us

The issues with getting to CCG, are
    Windfall - might require chainsaws
    Mud - might require chains if in 2wd, or sometimes in 4wd.
    I sort my options just prior to any trip, but always take a chainsaw.

If it’s been wet, I’ll take a 4/AWD, but if it’s dry, I’ll just take my VW golf. Weather forecast and options available help these choices.

A

Ricardo64 and CarveMan like this.
  23. Ubiquitous Steve

Crow bar is a great piece if equipment.
    Snig chains excellant idea for pulling things apart or down roadway to make a gap.

Those really big logs can be a problem ....try cutting into it 90% then put a coach bolt into one side....place webbing strap eye over bolt(need drill,bolt and ring spanner )turn log 45degs.perhaps relocate bolt for a second pull(unscrew with ring spanner )now even with 14inch bar you can get at the uncut bit of wood that may have been buried in the roadway.Its amazing what huge masses you can move by rotation on a hard roadway assuming you have cut off limbs and knobs etc(so they are smooth).
    Bolts can fly off particularly once they are almost vertical....so place jumper over the possible projectile ....only attach to rear of vehicle with all folk clear of possible lethal bolt trajectory!!!

Equipment required:-a few Bunnings coach bolts of moderate length ...a suitable ring spanner....a drill and wood cutting bit(team Bears use an old brazen bit) and a some flat tape for 4x4extraction .This will save your sharp chain from destruction !

24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I take a huge crow bar too. Tidy up the tree's smaller limbs and then look at where it is resting and cut from underneath first. Access to Long Spur and Mt. Bogong from Mulhauser track is rather good at present but taking a chainsaw up that way is not optional. Water at The T spur/ Long Spur junction is flowing as is the creek in front of CC hut.

25. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

Thanks everyone for the suggestion, I am considering selling my car and buying a 4X4 Light Truck to fit shovels, Crow bars, Rakes, chainsaw, pulleys, recovery equipment. If I have room I'll pack my split board and stuff :thumbs:

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Four tonn truck would be a really good idea.....now if you had a tip tray we could send you up to Keppels Hut and under Mr T’s supervision you could throw down a few yards of gravel.

Now a four tonner with dual back wheels and four by whatever transmission would cause envy when parked with BMW’s or Mercedes in the Thredbo Carpark ......like a status thing!
    Some of those four tonners look cool....even the Ford Rangers would nod as you passed by!

We like the look of these vehicles .....of course “snow tyres” will have a problem getting you the correct Nokian Rubber!

Ricardo64 likes this.
  27. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

definitely snow tyres :thumbs: and a hi vis vest to look the part, actually might pack that in my backpack along with some hazard ahead signage

skifree likes this.
  28. Xplora

You also need to take 2 chainsaws in case one breaks down and don't forget spare bars for the chainsaws in case a bar gets stuck in a log. Make sure one of the saws is big enough to take out a monster tree. You are bound to come across one of them at some time. I don't think a 4 tonne truck is big enough for all this.

29. neilmny

neilmny Addicted

Better tow a spare vehicle too.

30. Endless_Winter

Endless_Winter One of Us

Haha you might all laugh at the overkill of a chainsaw and drag chains, but at some point if you drive these tracks regularly enough you're gonna come across this.....

This is Camp Creek Rd. On this particular day stoke was super high as it was going bluebird after a big snowfall. I was eager to get up Bogong ASAP. Luckily, there was a wide corner back about 50m or so where I could park the car and not block the road. From memory I was only 2-3km from the eskdale trailhead and with the low level snowfall I was able to skin almost all the way up. The extra time did cost me 1 run in epic conditions, though luckily I was close enough so it was still feasible to have a go on foot.

The chainsaw purchase followed a few days later, although I had been mulling it for some time for other reasons as well.

This summer, I went for a drive up to Feathertop and this was on snowy creek rd less than a couple of kms from the GAR. Like not even on dungey track yet.

I had to get the saw out 2 more times that day. The firewood pile got bigger though!

Moral is, if you don't come prepared, you may have to go home or walk a lot more than you thought!

Attached Files:

31. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

32. CarveMan

Yep we had to cut one tree and drag 2 more out of the way on the way up Mulhauser a few years ago.

Endless_Winter likes this.
  33. Ubiquitous Steve

Just go prepared .......:whistle:

Recent gales have brought down a lot of trees.....my arvo was spent playing with chainsaws ....Team Bears can report access to Keppels Hut from Marysville end on Lady Talbot Dve is compromised but open...watch out for debri..whole arvo spent carving our way up Keppels Track 4x4 Track........not bad now ....more stuff you have to deal with fallen shit the better....crow bar is essential piece of equipment too.
    Getting slippery after recent rains 4x4 best.

34. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The moral of the story is don’t travel with @Endless_Winter

35. Mister Tee on XC Skis

36. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Why not?

37. Ubiquitous Steve

If you have not got a second chainsaw in another vehicle ...then an old bar and spare chain will be a great advantage when you jamb your bar!
    Obviously you cannot carry that much unless like Team Bears you have a Ute tray.....but a spare bar and spare sharpened chain take up bugger all room....so if you are taking on serious shit....it’s a sound idea to have a few things...

Again assess what you cut......logs go like torpedoes sometimes diwn the bank .....
    One cannot be too careful .....it’s not chainsaw injuries that are of concern for Team Bears but crush injuries !

38. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Always have a clear and planned level footing escape route when cutting logs. Be hyper vigilant & ready to jump backwards quick smart!

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  39. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Electric power tools are hard to recharge in the bush. 2 stroke motors are gutsy.

40. Ubiquitous Steve

Recent gales have obviously brought down a number of trees across the high country.....
    Just go prepared ....I would sharpen those chains before you go anywhere after those high winds of previous days.

41. AndrewA

AndrewA One of Us

A bow saw??? Yep, that’s the other end of the spectrum to a chainy, but there is nothing in between. It’s like comparing a bicycle to a 4WD.

I suppose that a bow saw is likely to be more useful than a Leatherman tool, or some dental floss!

neilmny and Ricardo64 like this.
  42. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

WTF .. let's just get rid of all these pesky trees and run slabs of concrete a lot less hassles !!!

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  43. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Turning the state of Vic. in to one huge concrete freeway is ALP/LNP policy anyway . They are fossil fuel transport/ tollway mad and anti old growth forest if you look at the details.

44. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Hard Yards

now really think about it, how many jobs it would create, it could be the start of a new world order we can start with our forests and finish with concreting the whole planet !!