Trip Report Mt.Bogong Feb. 20 and 21 2021.Overnight hike.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Your correspondent in the field went to shake off the Lockdown 3.0 Cabin fever with a stiff hike up the Eskdale spur, over the Mt. Bogong Summit and I went camping for one night at Cleve Cole Hut.
I have heard that The Eskdale Spur track has been realigned so that it bypasses the dreaded erosion channel known as "The Drain".
So I went to investigate and make the most of some favourable warm and clear late summer weather.
I drove up from Lepersville ( Melbourne) to stay at my friend's house in Myrtleford on Friday afternoon.
The following day I arrived at Camp Creek Gap at about 0945. The 4 WD track in there is in generally good condition but it has a couple of washed out bits where it is a little steep and could become interesting when covered in snow. There was no need to use the chainsaw , the access route for vehicles was clear.
I assembled my gear and admired the relatively new notice board and intention book cupboard.
Usually I walk into Cleve Cole hut from Mulhauser spur and Long Spur . I have not come up this route possibly since 2017 and that was in winter.
It is evident that some track work has been done clearing fallen logs , cutting back scrub and by passing "The Drain". However it is still a slog and ascends 500 M. vertical elevation in 2.5 kms to reach Michell Hut.
_SAM8675.JPG
_SAM8674.JPG
_SAM8568.JPG
_SAM8569.JPG
_SAM8570.JPG
_SAM8673.JPG

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 1 .The Big Hike up the Big Fella!.
It was a sweaty, relentless and slow slog on a humid and warm late summer's day. Plenty of other walkers were out and about , most of them doing the Staircase/Summit/Eskdale spur loop in one long 21 km day trek .
Many of them seemed new to the Big Fella and did not know where Cleve Cole Hut was or is.

Water was flowing well at the creek crossing half way up to Michell hut. There was water in the tank at that hut.
_SAM8571.JPG
_SAM8572.JPG
_SAM8574.JPG
_SAM8576.JPG
_SAM8579.JPG
_SAM8577.JPG
_SAM8581.JPG
_SAM8586.JPG

I ate lunch and rested at the hut before taking on the steeper section above the treeline .There was a pleasant breeze up there which helped me dry off and cool off after sweating like a Finn in a sauna on the way up.
I found one of @Ubiquitous Steve 's hand made benches near the hut just a short distance below the camping area at the hut.
Parks Vic. have recently slashed back the vegetation in the area of the hut and track.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I forgot to mention that Mt. Feathertop is just visible from Mtn. Creek Road. Its summit peaks over the hills that divide the West and East Kiewa river catchments.
I had not noticed that until recently.

Day 1 . Heading for Cleve Cole Hut.
The weather stayed fine until I reached the camp site at the hut.
There was a thunderstorm rumbling away over Mt. Wills. It finally arrived at the hut an hour before dusk and dumped a lot of rain and hail in an intense burst of precipitation.
The hut was nice and dry inside :). There is a new Bogong Club guitar in the club members' locked area of the hut .The new guitar is a decent instrument. It even has that 'New Guitar' aroma.
_SAM8608.JPG
_SAM8609.JPG
_SAM8610.JPG
_SAM8611.JPG
_SAM8612.JPG
_SAM8613.JPG
_SAM8614.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 2
After a great night's sleep , so peaceful and restful , the day was just breaking when I got up.
All the other hikers there were up early too. It was clear, mild and still and getting over the summit area and back into the tree line on the Eskdale spur before those moving grey clouds turned into a shower of rain seemed to be the priority for most walkers.
_SAM8622.JPG
_SAM8625.JPG
_SAM8626.JPG
_SAM8627.JPG
_SAM8621.JPG
_SAM8628.JPG
_SAM8629.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Day 2.
The trek back over the summit area.
There was a shower that was chasing me so I made quick time on foot up to Hell's Gap where I by passed the Pole line on Eskdale Point and got out of the wind which was whipping up a bit too.
I did get to catch my breath by taking photos!
Mt. Bogong has many moods which are very photogenic.
_SAM8630.JPG
_SAM8632.JPG
_SAM8634.JPG
_SAM8635.JPG
_SAM8636.JPG
_SAM8637.JPG
Here is that shower of rain that was following me !
_SAM8638.JPG
_SAM8639.JPG
_SAM8641.JPG
_SAM8642.JPG
_SAM8644.JPG
_SAM8646.JPG
_SAM8648.JPG
_SAM8649.JPG
_SAM8650.JPG

NSW just does not have a Mountain like The Big fella!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
DAY 2.
Hell Gap and back down the Eskdale spur .I broke a trekking pole tip. I need to repair that ASAP.
I reached Michell Hut at 0945 and took a quick break and filled in the Hut Log Book.
_SAM8651.JPG
_SAM8652.JPG
_SAM8653.JPG
_SAM8654.JPG
_SAM8655.JPG
_SAM8656.JPG
_SAM8657.JPG
_SAM8658.JPG
_SAM8659.JPG
_SAM8660.JPG
_SAM8662.JPG
The Eskdale spur looks quite different without snow but it is still very scenic.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The final endlessly steep slog down the hill back to the car from the hut was type 2 fun :-0
but I did it....
and reached my car at 1145.
There were other day walkers using the Eskdale spur track as well as the overnight walkers returning from Cleve Cole hut .After changing attire and having some lunch and water ,
I did take my car a short way up the Eskdale spur 4 x 4 track and got a different view of the Mountain.
On the way back down to Trapper's Gap I hit a rock on the road ( it was bigger than I thought it was and usually I can guess my clearance on these jeep roads ) and I was a bit worried that I had dented the flux capacitor ;-P on the under carriage of my car.
It was stinking hot back in Myrtleford. Thank goodness my friend has had ceiling fans installed into most rooms in her house.
The car seemed to be OK really. The next day I got back home alright. These old Toyotas are quite tough really.
_SAM8663.JPG
_SAM8664.JPG
_SAM8665.JPG
_SAM8666.JPG
_SAM8667.JPG
_SAM8668.JPG
_SAM8669.JPG
_SAM8670.JPG
_SAM8671.JPG
_SAM8672.JPG

"The drain" is on the right. It has been covered with cut debris. The new foot route keeps to the side of this former erosion channel.
_SAM8676.JPG
_SAM8677.JPG

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I wonder if anyone has driven up to the Granite Flat Spur Car park recently?. Is the road up there from the Hollow way logging road / winter closure gate in an acceptable condition for me to drive my RAV 4 up there?. I might go up there in April for the Bogong Club Working Bee.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Bogong Equipment advised me to put my broken trekking pole / tip in a bucket of boiling water. I did that and the old pole tip came off quite easily using plyers. The new pole tip was also soaked in boiling water and it went on quite easily. So I am now ready to bushwalk again very soon.

Reactions: nezumi

Endless_Winter

One of Us
Apr 23, 2013
Melbourne
I wonder if anyone has driven up to the Granite Flat Spur Car park recently?. Is the road up there from the Hollow way logging road / winter closure gate in an acceptable condition for me to drive my RAV 4 up there?. I might go up there in April for the Bogong Club Working Bee.

I was last on granite flat track a month ago. You should be good in a RAV, but maybe don't do it when the track is wet.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Good effort, T. You will be fit for winter adventures.
Not to be too pedantic about one letter but I believe the hut to which you refer is 'Michell' hut, named after a companion of the ill-fated Cleve Cole, Howard Michell, who hiked off the mountain to seek help for the ailing Cole. Not a Beatles song.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Good effort, T. You will be fit for winter adventures.
Not to be too pedantic about one letter but I believe the hut to which you refer is 'Michell' hut, named after a companion of the ill-fated Cleve Cole, Howard Michell, who hiked off the mountain to seek help for the ailing Cole. Not a Beatles song.
FIFY :)

"Michelle" , the Beatles song ? or the unreleased song " Cleve Cole" by the Beatles, a bootleg recording yet to be released ;-P .I think that song was vetoed by George Martin and the other three because Ringo's songs were not always very good and his singing was mediocre too.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass