Opinion Mt Bogong

Ricardo64

Addicted
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
On my bucket list tis year is Mt Bogong, Like mmany other years. fo one reason or another I have not made it there, not for the lack of trying. I have spent some time reading trip reports and threads on mount Bogong it has been portraid as a narly place. Icy, windy. tell me about your experiences and recommendations for preparations if it was your fiirt time with the knowledge you now possess of this wondous place.

pardon my spelling , nothing like stringing a post when your half cut.

Ricardo64

Addicted
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yeah, I split, I have read threads of crampons, ice axes. I'm not keen on climbing Everest. I' trying to stay light around 16 kg Max if I can. I did Sterling heavy around 18 kg and it was near impossible to come down on a board when it was icy.

Reactions: skifree

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
I have summited Mt. Bogong in snow shoes in August one year( 2016 )( the photo is of me at the top)
49340005.jpg
using Michell hut as a snow camping base. That was before I took up skiing. I have turned back a number of times on the Eskdale spur in white season as well as on The Staircase in snow shoes with an ice axe.
It was just too sketchy !!!.
:-0
The summit even on a clear day in white season is not a place to linger too long. I joined the Bogong club in 2019 (?). I have been up and down every major route in green season. In bad weather the area above the tree
line is not somewhere I would want to spend too much time at all, even in green season.
I love Mt.Bogong.
Once the route along Mulhauser track and Long Spur is cleared of a gazillion fallen logs and head high scrub then it would be a good way to reach Cleve Cole hut in winter. It stays in the tree line the whole way and avoids the icy and windy area above the tree line.
The Eskdale spur track from Camp Creek Gap has been recut and avoids the treacherous erosion channel known as " The DRAIN".
That route with a full pack in any season is a slog. In white season it can be very challenging with deep snow and fallen trees.
The Stair case is tough too. The Quartz Ridge has no pole line but if you know the route from Green season walking then it could be good on a clear day .
There are campsites along the Quartz ridge that are flat and within the tree line. You would have to melt snow for water.

Access from The Clover arboretum on the Falls Creek road , the Bogong Creek tramway and Big River fire trail is a whole day on foot with a big pack on your back to reach Bogong Creek saddle camp site and the Quartz Ridge trail head . At least if the weather turns to rubbish you can abort a Bogong trip and go up Timm's spur and head for Roper's hut on the B.H.P. which has a pole line coming from Rocky Valley dam.
The T spur is clearly a matter of T for torture.
Granite Flat spur has a locked winter gate and can be accessed from Camp Creek Gap road /Trapper's gap junction by 4 WD . Take a chainsaw and wheel chains.
You can get to the locked winter gate at Granite flat spur from the Mitta Mitta side via the Hollow way logging road. That route gets snow in winter too and is subject to trees falling on the track.
Allow an hour from the bend in the Hollow way where you leave your car in winter up to the summer 4WD car park where the Granite Flat spur trail head intentions book is located. The from there it is a slog up to Michell hut which makes a good snow camping base.
There is a closed disused management track that joins the Granite Flat spur approach with Camp Creek gap. Bushwalkers do use it to avoid the quite steep descent down the Eskdale spur from Michell hut and descend via GF spur and return to their cars at CC Gap. Fire trail walking is boring but kinder on the knees and thigh muscles in any season. If there is a big low dump of snow you might be able to rock hop it on skis .

Last edited:
Reactions: dr80 and Ricardo64
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
aaahh Bogong.

A good place, prepare to work hard & take care.
The vice President of the Bogong Club said to me:
"There is no easy way up Mt. Bogong and that is what makes it good. If it was simple to reach Cleve Cole hut then everyone would come here and it would become like Rosebud and it would not be special anymore".

For interstate readers Rosebud is a summer caravan park type holiday place by Port Phillip Bay , perfect for "Kath and Kim/ The Castle " types.
;-P

Last edited:
Reactions: snowgum and skifree

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Mr T I have not been up Bogong for about 25 years , went a lot in the early 90 s ,so things have changed. Decided to focus on the Snowies.
Is there reasonable access from the end of Granite spur track via Cam creek Gap so you can get around the locked gate further down ?
I have a serious 4WD + chainsaws and chains.
I dont mind climbing but would like to minimise carrying a pack.

VSG

Crayon Master
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Port Macquarie NSW
www.tumblr.com
Mr T I have not been up Bogong for about 25 years , went a lot in the early 90 s ,so things have changed. Decided to focus on the Snowies.
Is there reasonable access from the end of Granite spur track via Cam creek Gap so you can get around the locked gate further down ?
Post in thread 'Mt Bogong' https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/mt-bogong.89805/post-4709030

Reactions: skifree

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
VSG I dont understand isnt this the thread and yes I have just read Mr T's post but my question is ?
Does the link from Camp Creek gap to Granite Flat Spur track allow you to avoid the long drive around thru Mitta and can you get above the locked gate which NPS claims is closed until the end of October and therefore bars access for skiing ?
Obviously I would intend to drive up during a high pressure so I am not snowed in .

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Hi.
Gee in these lockdowns I really wish
I was up at Mt. Bogong.
That is my kind of a place.

In the green season you can get a proper 4 WD up from the junction of the Camp Creek track and the Hollow way to the Granite Flat car park. That takes you within striking distance on foot of Michell hut .
The Granite Flat spur track was graded last November 2020
according to fellow Bogong Club member reports.
I have seen chunky SUV AWD vehicles get up that track. I walked it from the bottom a few summers ago. The walk from the Hollow way logging road takes about an hour up to the Granite Flat Spur car park and intentions book at the trail head.
The foot track from there had been slashed back by Parks Vic. in 2019.
Some of the adjoining Eskdale spur track had also been slashed back when I went up the Eskdale spur track from Camp Creek Gap to The summit in Feb. 2021 (and over to CC hut).
If you are bringing your 4WD up from Tawonga then keep in mind that that Trapyard Gap road is closed from Trapyard gap down to Lords Creek track due to a new bridge being installed at Lord's Creek near the turn off for Tom's Hut.
DEWLP plan to have this roadworks job completed in time for the Nov. 4 WD season to commence.

AFAIK you can still drive up to Trapyard Gap and then take the route towards Camp Creek Gap. From there you should be able to proceed to where that track meets the Hollow way

( not taking the Camp creek gap car park track which does not continue around to Granite Flat spur trail head for vehicles. You can walk from Camp Creek Gap along a closed fire trail to Granite Flat Spur track. This skips a STEEP and sustained slog of a section of the Eskdale spur foot track ) .

The parking at the bend in the Hollow way log road, there is ample space for 3 large 4WD vehicles.
The Granite Flat spur track should reopen to 4 x 4 traffic after the Nov. cup day long weekend.
The locked gate is at the very bottom of that track.
It provides the most elevation gain by mechanical means afforded by any approach including the Mulhauser track combined with Long spur walking track.
You can also get a 4 x 4 up the Long Spur jeep track from Big River Log road. The track was in reasonable order when @Carola and I walked it from Mt. Wills in late Nov. 2020.
That route then means you then need to walk 8 kms to reach CC Hut from the Long Spur trail head.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
On my bucket list tis year is Mt Bogong, Like mmany other years. fo one reason or another I have not made it there, not for the lack of trying. I have spent some time reading trip reports and threads on mount Bogong it has been portraid as a narly place. Icy, windy. tell me about your experiences and recommendations for preparations if it was your fiirt time with the knowledge you now possess of this wondous place.

pardon my spelling , nothing like stringing a post when your half cut.
When the Covid jailers release us the 2021 ski season will be over.

However come with me for a multi night Mt. Bogong hike in The green season. I am planning this loop: Falls Creek road/ Watchbed Creek/ Roper hut/ Timm's spur/ Big River/ Bogong Creek saddle/ Quartz Ridge/ Mt. Bogong/ CC hut/ T spur/ Duane Spur/ Roper Hut/ Return to vehicles..... and
flake out !!.
One could start the loop from Mulhauser camp just for the sake of it .

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
VSG I dont understand isnt this the thread and yes I have just read Mr T's post but my question is ?
Does the link from Camp Creek gap to Granite Flat Spur track allow you to avoid the long drive around thru Mitta and can you get above the locked gate which NPS claims is closed until the end of October and therefore bars access for skiing ?
Obviously I would intend to drive up during a high pressure so I am not snowed in .
In short the answer is NO.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass