Trip Report Mt. Buffalo.24.6.18.Skiing on ice!!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Hi
I went up to ski at Mt. Buffalo on Sunday 24.6.18. When I got there from Melb. I found to my chagrin that the Horn road and Beginners' loop ski trails were nothing short of groomed corduroy boiler plate ice.
Skiing up the boiler plate Horn road was a slog. I ate lunch , stashed my skis, put on micro spikes and visited the true summit of The Horn. The views were magnificent , what with it being a sunny bluebird day and all .
Skiing back was looking sketchy. I took one fall just as I put the planks back on, prior to even commencing the downhill return, I wrenched my shoulder a bit :confused: and just said FORGET IT, I am not risking my safety skiing on a sheet of groomed ice!.
:eek:
So the scenery was lovely but skiing on that surface was crap.:crap:
I bumped into two of my snow shoe buddies who has summited Mt. Bogong the day before in ideal sunny white season weather and were having a snow shoe trundle up The Horn.
I hope they can be encouraged to try XC skiing and have a lesson or two. I need another lesson esp. on turning and doing the "hockey stop".
We need some fresh soft powdery snow to improve the ski conditions there.
Photos of my June 2018 ski attempt at Mt. Buffalo are coming soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seth and neilmny

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
24.6.18.The Horn road at about 12 noon in fine weather.
_SAM2262.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Even though the frozen solid skiing surface was shite , the scenery was brilliant and you could see clearly in all directions.24.6.18.
The Horn road looked good but when I put the planks on I realized looks can often be deceiving.
Mt. Buffalo is free to XC ski at and with some fresh soft snow( we all wish for that ) the ski trails would still be very alluring as the bushwalking tracks are in green season.
_SAM2264.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Climbing/short hopping/ sliding/herring boning /gliding up the Horn road on skis was slow going. It was like skiing on a plate of cold polished metal . Even with metal edges on my skis I could not find many sections that felt right and forgiving under my skis. However the views continued to improve as one slogged it up the slippery slope.
_SAM2265.JPG

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
This little birdy was fascinated by the fare on display for my lunch. Of course being a National Park one is obliged to observe and marvel at the wildlife ;-P. This very tame little Birdy was captured in focus with my camera , it must have been the power of a good meal to improve my photographic faculties.
_SAM2302.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I went up to the summit wearing Kahtoola Microspikes. Many day trippers were walking on the groomed boiler plate corduroy surface in street shoes. At least at Lake Mtn. and at Mt. Stirling there is signage alerting unaware walkers not to do this on ski trails.
The views from the top never fail to impress me.
_SAM2309.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
_SAM2319.JPG

Time to pack up and drive back to Myrtleford. I was a bit deflated by not being able to / mad enough ski down the boiler plate Horn road but I think that would have been quite dangerous for me, so I walked back from the Horn picnic area, skis in hand. It is a good thing to recognize where avoidable risks are and to steer clear of them.
_SAM2319.JPG

Reactions: teckel

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Heading up the Boiler Plate corduroy track a.k.a The Horn road.Some of the sharp uphill bends required a herringbone approach, short hops would not suffice. Yes, you can see the groomed surface clearly in this picture...... More corduroy than a folk festival !. The return journey was mainly in shadows and as a result the late afternoon air temperature dropped and made the surface even icier than before. I think I would have bent my Grivel brand ice axe on it , had I brought it along to test it out.
_SAM2267.JPG

Reactions: neilmny

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
This little birdy was fascinated by the fare on display for my lunch. Of course being a National Park one is obliged to observe and marvel at the wildlife ;-P. This very tame little Birdy was captured in focus with my camera , it must have been the power of a good meal to improve my photographic faculties.
_SAM2302.JPG
lovely shot!

neilmny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 12, 2013
It is skiable grasshopper, experiment, practice, seek training, repeat.
Fear not the fall Mr Tee.......A fall on the move (that doesn't involve crashing into solid stationary objects) has a lot less impact than if you go bum up just standing around.
When it all goes wrong just slide on your butt....DON'T drop onto a knee....very very bad practice that one!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Fear not the fall Mr Tee.......A fall on the move (that doesn't involve crashing into solid stationary objects) has a lot less impact than if you go bum up just standing around.
When it all goes wrong just slide on your butt....DON'T drop onto a knee....very very bad practice that one!
Thanks for the tips. I seem to go to the bum brake while moving on skis as a default panic button. I did that while moving at a fair speed at the Nordic bowl on Monday.
However I slipped over on my bum while standing still at The Horn Picnic ground having only just reattached the planks and then bounced onto my left elbow which survived but jolted my shoulder which is now sore. That told me that skiing down hill on ice is not for me , not until I can ski all blue run terrain safely.
My shoulder and ankle , both on the left side should be O . K. in a couple of days so nothing serious has happened. I am having some anti inflammatory topical gel and tablets.
I will get some more XC ski lessons soon to improve what I am doing. Some forum members are supportive about my transition from Snow Shoes to XC skis and one who comes to mind is a real P.I. T.A. about anything that I post about any topic. Fooey on him , the old grump!

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
Great report!
Buffalo was my first ski hill :)
As an aside- I suspect what you call unskiable boilerplate, Martin Fourcade would describe as perfect conditions for World Records LOL

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Great report!
Buffalo was my first ski hill :)
As an aside- I suspect what you call unskiable boilerplate, Martin Fourcade would describe as perfect conditions for World Records LOL
Hi, as a learner skier I prefer to keep to the right side of not injuring myself rather badly. Other skiers who were actually skiing down the Horn Road were using the snow plough the whole way and they advised to me do any turns away from the shadows , where the sun had reached the surface. The rub for me was that I found most of the terrain in shadows what with returning late in the day and all. The Horn Road is graded as a Blue Run and I can say that I am willing to give Blue runs a go where it is a sane option.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
Heading up to Mt Buffalo this coming weekend and will be my first time there.

From what I can see there's two areas: Dingo Dell and Cresta Valley (actually has some old lifts and reasonable hiking to ride some runs)

How much further up the road is Cresta Valley from Dingo Dell?

Some of those old runs look quite nice and steep to the left of the old lift

Last edited:

Mufts

Potato
Ski Pass
Oct 27, 2004
Funny,

I went for a skate up the horn that day and found it firm and fast. A little unforgiving, but can't control the temps, it has been really cold up here.

Reactions: FourSquare04

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
Heading up to Mt Buffalo this coming weekend and will be my first time there.

From what I can see there's two areas: Dingo Dell and Cresta Valley (actually has some old lifts and reasonable hiking to ride some runs)

How much further up the road is Cresta Valley from Dingo Dell?

Some of those old runs look quite nice and steep to the left of the old lift

Not far at all. No lifts.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Don't forget after a big fresh low level dump of snow the Reservoir road and the Lake Catani loop are sometimes groomed by PV. If you are fit and are a XC good skier you can get out to Mt. McLeod or Rocky Creek and back in a day if you start early enough. Look at the Spatial Vision Map of Mt. Buffalo for details and ski track gradings.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I took that photo using film , one day in spring many moons ago. On a weekend in white season you need to watch out for the little kids on toboggans lower down the slopes as you ski down hill and throw in some turns at a fair clip.
That last bend as you descend in your car into Cresta valley to park ye olde jalopy is often very icy and should be driven with a lot of care, caution and attention.
What I love about Mt. Buffalo among the many things it has to offer , is that it is free to ski there :).

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
I took that photo using film , one day in spring many moons ago. On a weekend in white season you need to watch out for the little kids on toboggans lower down the slopes as you ski down hill and throw in some turns at a fair clip.
That last bend as you descend in your car into Cresta valley to park ye olde jalopy is often very icy and should be driven with a lot of care, caution and attention.
What I love about Mt. Buffalo among the many things it has to offer , is that it is free to ski there :).

Is there a day lodge at Cresta Valley too or only at Dingo Dell?

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Thanks for the tips. I seem to go to the bum brake while moving on skis as a default panic button. I did that while moving at a fair speed at the Nordic bowl on Monday.
However I slipped over on my bum while standing still at The Horn Picnic ground having only just reattached the planks and then bounced onto my left elbow which survived but jolted my shoulder which is now sore. That told me that skiing down hill on ice is not for me , not until I can ski all blue run terrain safely.
My shoulder and ankle , both on the left side should be O . K. in a couple of days so nothing serious has happened. I am having some anti inflammatory topical gel and tablets.
I will get some more XC ski lessons soon to improve what I am doing. Some forum members are supportive about my transition from Snow Shoes to XC skis and one who comes to mind is a real P.I. T.A. about anything that I post about any topic. Fooey on him , the old grump!
If I am the grump I support your transition. I don't support you pontificating on a subject about which you have little knowledge. Perhaps if you added "I have just started ..." to your contributions.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
If I am the grump I support your transition. I don't support you pontificating on a subject about which you have little knowledge. Perhaps if you added "I have just started ..." to your contributions.
Fair enough comrade , I know FA x 2 about skiing except that the start up costs for getting the gear have not been cheap o_O and my ankle still hurts a bit from twisting it when skiing at Falls Creek last month. :eek:
However I shall persist with the planks.
Now just for you LEGS , old chap , I shall henceforth where appropriate add the pre amble to my posts "I am a learner XC skier with some prior BC experience on snow shoes"....
I do know a little about the terrain in the ANP( Mt. Bogong, Mt. Feathertop,Mt. Howitt , The Bluff etc) , KNP , Mt Baw Baw N.P. , Mt. Buffalo N.P. , Lake Mtn. ,. etc. and I know all about my front yard here in Melbourne. I am something of an expert at not being an expert but on that last point I can hold my own ;-P .
I know a little about
snow camping and BC white season recreation on snow shoes having done at least three solid white seasons on snow shoes with a heavy pack.

I do know the lay out of Mt. Buffalo being a Vic. bushwalker and visiting Mt. Buffalo in all seasons for least 20 years and all. :thumbs:

There is no lodge at Cresta Valley or at Dingo Dell. There is the Crumbling Chalet at the Gorge which has been closed and allowed to rot for ten years. So in terms of accessible pre built public day shelters you have the public hut at Lake Catani and another one at the Gorge car park. These two huts each have tables and a fireplace respectively, and I must add there is a café at Dingo Dell.

Last edited:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Great TR and pics Mr Tee.
I always enjoy reading about your adventures into the High Country. I look forward to the next installment, and keep at it!
Thanks for the positive feedback. I think I will persist with such trip reports even if just to wind up THE Senior forum GRUMP, LEGS AKIMBO ;-P.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Apr 19, 2013
The Southern Capital
Thanks for the positive feedback. I think I will persist with such trip reports even if just to wind up THE Senior forum GRUMP, LEGS AKIMBO ;-P.
I think old mate might be a bit jealous about your adventures to be honest, and can't help but try to bring you down. It's just what he does, unfortunately.
If that gives you sufficient motivation to continue getting out there, then the rest of us benefit by reading your TRs. I guess that's a collective win :)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
That's OK. I will continue to point out the paucity of your experience.
I have bushwalked a fair whack of the Oz Alps in boots in green season and in snow shoes as well, so in those terms I am no newbie .I also trek in mountains abroad.
Some people like the photos that I take and share with others on this forum. If you don't like my trip reports then tough titties. …...Anyway you are entitled to be a P.I.T.A. It is a natural talent of yours that should not be thwarted.

FourSquare04

A Local
Sep 11, 2001
Wollongong
There is no lodge at Cresta Valley or at Dingo Dell. There is the Crumbling Chalet at the Gorge which has been closed and allowed to rot for ten years. So in terms of accessible pre built public day shelters you have the public hut at Lake Catani and another one at the Gorge car park. These two huts each have tables and a fireplace respectively.

If there is no 'lodge' at Dingo Dell then what do you call that building in the background from this pic ripped off their current homepage?!! I see words 'cafe' and 'coffee' mentioned several times....!

upload_2018-7-18_16-58-24.png

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
If there is no 'lodge' at Dingo Dell then what do you call that building in the background from this pic ripped off their current homepage?!! I see words 'cafe' and 'coffee' mentioned several times....!

upload_2018-7-18_16-58-24.png
There is a café at Dingo Dell which operates in white season. It is not a place where you can stay overnight. You might be able to rent a toboggan or snow shoes at Dingo Dell's cafe. I can't say about that for sure.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
You don't have much experience on skis. I suggest that you stop offering incorrect information.
I have spent years on snow shoes. It is n't the same as XC skiing but I know who I would rather have a cup of tea with , and it isn't you. My subjective experiences are what my trip reports are about. They are what they are.I am an expert at not being an expert .
Show me your trip reports and photos.
Some of my photos have been published in outdoors and nature related publications. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Where oh Great one is this incorrect information you allude to? Since you are the keeper of all wisdom I shall start typing this message to you in romanized Hindustani because you would know the world's 3rd most spoken language too .
Toh lagta hai keh aap tung dil vala aur bhi sub janta vala hain. Main mahir nehin hun, khaas kar iskiing ke barey main.Mujhe qudrati mahaul ki tasveerein kheech lena bahoot shauq hai aur doosron sey bantney ke liye aur dekhaaney ke liye mujhe achchi lagti hai . Agar aap meri baaton ko na pasand kartey hain toh mujhe koi faraq nehin padhta hai.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass