Trip Report Mt. Buffalo N.P.:Mac's Point and Mt. McLeod.19 & 20th /11/18

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Hi. I went for my first green season overnight hike for the 2018/19 green season.
    I have never been along the Rocky Creek track or the Mt. McLeod track at Mt. Buffalo N.P.
    On the map they look like they have potential in XC ski season if there is a good heavy low level dump of snow. Anyway I went up there and I did not see anyone out there along either track.
    It was peaceful and enjoyable.
    I went with a day pack out to Mac's point and back on Monday morning (19/11/18). There was some timber down on the foot track that leads to Mac's Point. The walking routes are well sign posted.
    The possibilities for XC skiing along the way at Wild Dog Plain look quite good in the right conditions.
    I went back to my car and swapped the day pack for my overnight pack and went out to camp at Dell's plain near Mt. McLeod. Along the way I tried to find the route up to Anderson's peak but didn't find any sign of a foot pad or any such route indicator following the compass in a direction that was S.W. .

So I turned back and headed on to set up my camp, fetch water , and climb up the boulders to the summit of Mt. McLeod. The alternative foot route from near the start of the Mt. McLeod track at the Reservoir Road sidles around the big dip down and a climb up that one encounters along the fire trail. However it was a bit overgrown and one had to squeeze under or scramble over some fallen timber.
    The Main fire trail had some HUGE fallen logs across it. Water was flowing under the track at a number of ferny gullies. I suspect water might dry up out there by February.

It was a clear day and the views from the rocky summit were excellent.
    The evening was clear. I saw some stars and the moon during the course of a nocturnal micturition trip. My new summer SALEWA MICRA 2 tent is a worthy investment.
    The weather at day break , the next day was very good and I was off and walking by 7 am or thereabouts.
    I left a message at the Park Office about the heavy timber on the Mt. McLeod Fire trail and went and had lunch at about 11 am at the Chalet area.
    I was driving back to Melbourne in a fierce thunderstorm on Tuesday afternoon. Driving on the Hume Highway in those conditions was challenging.

neilmny and Seth like this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Scouting out a possible XC ski route at Mt. Buffalo. The would have to be a phenomenal dump of snow to make XC skiing the Reservoir route and on to Rocky Creek track worthwhile. The ski routes at Cresta are a better bet.

Seth likes this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

PV have sign posted the walking/ XC skiing routes very well. Some of the signage is obscured by scrub but it is there.

Seth likes this.
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Rocky Creek Track along Wild Dog Plain. I would like to XC ski this route as a day tour.

5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Views on a sunny November day from Mac's Point.

Seth likes this.
  6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Those pesky trees were obscuring the view at Mac's Point.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

You could see some of the bigger rocks and peaks on The Mt. Buffalo Plateaux from Wild Dog Plain.

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

In the right conditions in white season you might be able to XC ski some fresh tracks on Wild Dog Plain.

Bogong likes this.
  9. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

I was not overnight pack carry fit but I was going to regain that conditioning along this track.
    The Mt. McLeod fire trail has sections of terrain that are well below the snow gum line, passing through Alpine Ash forests and there is a big steep dip down and then a long climb out of the North Buffalo Saddle. This could be not so good for XC skiing with broken cover, skis on / skis off and especially if there is a huge widow maker tree to crash into at the bottom of the rather steep 4 WD track.

#10 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

The alt. foot route that sidles around the North Buffalo Saddle had some obstacles to deal with.

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Occasionally I'd get a view of the rest of the park but much of the track passes through sub alpine forest environments , not unlike what you see along the Speculation road near Mustering Flat or lower sections of Mt. Bogong or Mt. Stirling .
    There were so many big trees that had sheered off and lost their crowns.

#12 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 21, 2018
  13. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Eventually I popped out at Dell's Plain where the camp site is .There is a sub alpine snow grass plain there. Aaah the serenity. I did think it was going to rain but I was wrong. It was dry for the whole hike.

neilmny likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Scrambling up to the Mt. McLeod summit was fun. In wet and foggy conditions it would have been iffy .I was lucky with the weather .The scenery was grand and worth the slog along the fire trail with a heavy pack.

neilmny likes this.
  15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

16. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

I had the whole of the Northern Buffalo plateaux to myself. The route up to the top is marked by rock cairns that someone has left for others to follow. I think that is Mt. Bogong in the distance.

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Your correspondent in the field at the Mt. McLeod summit. 19/11/18.

19. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

20. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

An old snow gum tree near the summit, well above 1500 M. ASL .

21. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Lots of big rocks , just like Wilson's Prom. but with views of the Australian Alps.

22. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Views of the whole area :) , 360 degrees, all around and no hand rails, metal steps or other nanny state props either.

neilmny and Bogong like this.
  23. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Looking back at Mt. McLeod in the afternoon sunshine from the snow grass plain below the summit.

neilmny likes this.
  24. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

My new tent was given a road testing. It passed the test. It is lighter and easier to construct and deconstruct than my snow tent is.

neilmny likes this.
  25. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

The camp site at Dell's Plain has a pit loo and a small stream for water not far from where I set up.

#25 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Sean Sunley and neilmny like this.
  26. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

The moon came out as I was preparing to crawl into bed and read some Graham Greene.

#26 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 21, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

Day break offered some colours in the sky to enjoy with a cup of hot tea.

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Silver Bruce

With a weather forecast for rain and thunderstorms that day , 20/11/18 , I set off rather early, just after dawn , to avoid getting wet and reached my car at 10.30 am.
    :)

#28 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Nov 21, 2018